• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer further clarifies the nature of Bethesda exclusivity

Tmack

The only thing I'm not sure about is why Phil and MS aren't being more direct about it. What would be downside of a straight up statement that's like "Look we bought these studios to strengthen our first party lineup and all future games that aren't tied to a pre existing agreement/contract will only release on platforms where Gamepass is available" ?

Maybe because that wouldnt sound well to bethesda employees?

Right now their focus should be on moving consoles.... if the xbox have a 60/40 advantage over the PS5, releasing those games as exclusives will be just the natural thing to do.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
...and in all of that, still nothing to simply say “these games will be exclusive to Xbox”. His statements are chock-full of deliberate ambiguity. The possibility of bringing these to other platforms is left hanging there.

“This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that.”
“Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’”

“We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games.”

So... the intention was not to take the games away from other platforms?

“we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base,”

GamePass listed separately from PC and the Xbox “console base”? What other platforms is it available on?

“I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means”

What it means, dear reader, is that he wants to offer these games to everyone, taking money from everyone, by turning PlayStation into a “supported platform” for GamePass.

The possibility is definitely being left open. The wording is deliberately vague but still broadly inclusive. React away, Xlads and Xlasses.

CAB_Life

I’m not sure how much more diplomatically clear he could be. “But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means”

It’s needless for him to be partisan or to give out some “F-Sony” soundbyte, much as it seems that’s what some of you want. Anyone with an iota of intelligence knew that ES VI wouldn’t be coming to PlayStation and considering the clout and sales of that series, and its PC heritage, I’m pretty confident it will survive despite a slightly smaller audience. Keep in mind when I say slightly smaller, stuff like X-Cloud didn’t exist when Skyrim was around and I’m betting that MS are betting on a chunk of sales and subs from that service.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
GzGoovr.jpg

gm-946314b2-ef51-403d-9fc8-b5dab580da59-philspencer.png

Stuart360

He shouldnt have to even give an answer to this question, most people know its not going to happen. The reason why he isnt giving a 'firm' answer to this question is becaue he wants as little negativity surrounding Xbox as possible, leading up to release. In fact i doubt we will get a conclusive answer until E3 next year, when Starfield is revealed with the 'Only on Xbox and PC' tag.

Last edited:

tillbot8

Banned
Would timed exclusives be a viable option on all of Zenimax products for Microsoft? Have the first place to play benefits with the eventual extra funds from being able to charge full price for games on the PS5 6 months to a year down the road? Win win or do I have a blind spot in this theory?

Aidah

I think that's close to a definitive no without technically being a definitive no.
So, just to be clear, everyone now agrees that exclusives matter?

Last edited:

Fbh

Maybe because that wouldnt sound well to bethesda employees?

Right now their focus should be on moving consoles.... if the xbox have a 60/40 advantage over the PS5, releasing those games as exclusives will be just the natural thing to do.

I'd imagine Bethesda employees already know the state of exclusivity of these games. If a game like Starfield or the next Elder Scrolls isn't coming to Ps5 I doubt they'll continue working on the Ps5 version "just in case".

Also, if their focus is on moving consoles then that's all the more reason to be clear about it. Right now there's probably still a lot of people deciding between Ps5 and Xbox and knowing for sure that the next Elder Scrolls or Doom are only going to be on Xbox (and PC) is a strong argument in favor of Xbox.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.”
As clear as mud.

He clarifies they do not have to ship games to other consoles to make the deal work but nothing about if they will or will not. If anything, the long answer sounds more like they might but they do not have to. I am going to assume it means if they reach a deal with other platforms games will be there but they are under no pressure to make it happen. (Sure I will get :messenger_tears_of_joy: reactions from CatLady CatLady and a few others since I am not absolutely stating the game will not be on PS5). Personally, I don't care what they do with Bethesda games because I will have both consoles and a PC and most likely play them via Game Pass.

Azurro

Banned
My god, this guy goes around in circles to not say something that they are obviously doing. The games are exclusive and you paid for them to be exclusive, that's how these things work.

Why is it so difficult for you Americans to be straightforward and just say it? :D

GrayFoxPL

bender

What time is it?
Pretty sure he's talking about Starfield, which is probably due to release next fall, a year after the console launch, so yeah PS5 will def be in that range.

Not for nothing, but I'd be shocked to see Starfield that soon.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Sony Only users right now:

giphy.gif

I wouldn't. It's the game they've been working on since Fallout 4. 76 was a small subsidiary of BGS proper but mostly from Bethesda satellite studios. They more or less had to say BGS worked on it to give it any validity when it's very clear they barely touched the thing.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Microsoft will sell 15 million next gen XBox's by the time Starfield launches. Starfield will have access to 100 million gaming PCs.

15 million PS5s isn't a draw at that point.
You think Sony will only sell 15 million units by end of 2021? Starfield ain't coming next year.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Is this supposed to be a gotcha? You playing on PC is a win for MS all the same

No not at all. I even had PS5 in the message but I removed it to not seem like it was console wars stuff, I should've removed the PC part as well. I was trying to say I don't really need their games anymore, I'm more excited by other stuff. The last thing of theirs I was interested in - Doom - has kinda fallen by the wayside for me so I haven't bothered to buy Doom Eternal on PC yet, I just don't like the direction they are going with their games, Fallout 76, etc.

A lot of their focus seems to be on cosmetics and multiplayer and I'm not really interested in those things for the most part. Now they've slightly restricted my access to their games further so I'm just losing even more interest.

Stuart360

As clear as mud.

He clarifies they do not have to ship games to other consoles to make the deal work but nothing about if they will or will not. If anything, the long answer sounds more like they might but they do not have to. I am going to assume it means if they reach a deal with other platforms games will be there but they are under no pressure to make it happen. (Sure I will get :messenger_tears_of_joy: reactions from CatLady CatLady and a few others since I am not absolutely stating the game will not be on PS5). Personally, I don't care what they do with Bethesda games because I will have both consoles and a PC and most likely play them via Game Pass.
“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.

bender

What time is it?
I wouldn't. It's the game they've been working on since Fallout 4. 76 was a small subsidiary of BGS proper but mostly from Bethesda satellite studios. They more or less had to say BGS worked on it to give it any validity when it's very clear they barely touched the thing.

That's probably not a bad thing. I'd still take bets on it being years off.

Reactions: MrS

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
That's probably not a bad thing. I'd still take bets on it being years off.
I'd say no longer than 2 years at the most. I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce/show at Bethesda E3 next year and then release in November. Or at least announce a release in November and then push back till March/April 2022.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Todd already said we would be seeing Starfield sooner than people think, and its been what?, 3 years since it was officially announced?.
Todd doesnt like to show his games off early, hense Fallout 4 being announced at E3 than released at fall. If we are going to see Starfield sooner than we think, he's obviously hinting its close, so E3 reveal, and Fall release imo.

reinking

Gold Member
“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.
OKAY? It does nothing to clarify if games will or will not be on other platforms.

bender

What time is it?
I'd say no longer than 2 years at the most. I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce/show at Bethesda E3 next year and then release in November. Or at least announce a release in November and then push back till March/April 2022.

It will be interesting for sure. I'm also wondering how much of a draw it will be.

Todd already said we would be seeing Starfield sooner than people think, and its been what?, 3 years since it was officially announced?.
Todd doesnt like to show his games off early, hense Fallout 4 being announced at E3 than released at fall. If we are going to see Starfield sooner than we think, he's obviously hinting its close, so E3 reveal, and Fall release imo.

Todd says a lot of things. COVID has also put a kink in a lot of hoses.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Its like asking God of War, Spidey or Horizon to get ported over to Series X,..yall outta your minds?!

It's over, all Bethesda shit staying lifetime exclusive on the X. If any of you having a hard time dealing with this holla at me ill sing you a lullaby or somethin' .

Clearly, some of you do not understand the diffrence. Games like Halo, Gears, Forza or Fable were never multiplatform. Same as games like GoW, GT, Uncharted etc.

We are talking about franchises that are multiplatform for ages.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Some people are really desperate for any sliver of hope that future Bethesda games will still come to Ps5.

The only thing I'm not sure about is why Phil and MS aren't being more direct about it. What would be downside of a straight up statement that's like "Look we bought these studios to strengthen our first party lineup and all future games that aren't tied to a pre existing agreement/contract will only release on platforms where Gamepass is available" ?

How about you list all the possible reasons for not providing a direct statement that they won’t release these games on competing platforms, that don’t involve leaving open the possibility of releasing games on competing platforms, then work from there.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You think Sony will only sell 15 million units by end of 2021? Starfield ain't coming next year.

So the math is 20 million vs 120 million? 25 vs 125?

The point is, by the time Starfield releases, Sony won't have nearly the influence on the market they have the last four or five years.

Bethesda was never going to release on PS5.

Stuart360

Clearly, some of you do not understand the diffrence. Games like Halo, Gears, Forza or Fable were never multiplatform. Same as games like GoW, GT, Uncharted etc.

We are talking about franchises that are multiplatform for ages.
I dont really see what that has to do with anything. Microsoft have bought a lot of studios over the years, the games are on Xbox on PC. Sony has bought studios, the games are on Playstation. If Sony bought Konami, are you saying you would expect a new Metal gear or Silent Hill on Xbox?. Are you saying you expect Microsoft to release The Outer Worlds 2 on PS5?.

Top Bottom