• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer confirms that some new future Bethesda titles will be Xbox and PC exclusive

Gatox

Banned
It’s common knowledge.

CU2_YIbXAAE4VsR.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
I don't really think it is all about money when it comes to the prior contracts. You might have to go into a legal battle with the other party which could lead to bad press on MS part. They would have to re-route development to Xbox and change things around within the developers which might be disliked by the employees and lead to people leaving the company. Showing that they intend to change things up a lot after the purchase might discourage other companies they intend to purchase to accept the deal Etc. Etc.

In my opinion there are a lot of additional moving parts than just 'money' that may be included in these decisions.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
They don't, they give revenue per division but never profit.

They gave the xbox revenue numbers last year.
They used to have the Entertainment and Devices Division which was mostly made up of Xbox and PC games, and they gave profit and revenue figures. Now they don't.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You posted a pic from a early prototype DevKit that doesn’t even had the PS5 hardware yet.

Curious about DevKits... it was posted today:

No mention of xbox dev kit anywhere there and if you read the article especially the headline it says the dev kit for sony wonrt be available for another year and it was dated December 8th 2019

so from your claims there is still no proof of the dev kits both being available at the same time, we‘lol just leave it there as you cant provide solid proof to back up your claims

Last edited:

FrankWza

Its exactly what your moronic post deserved.
You need to call names? Really? Dude, you’re wrong and he’s wrong about the MLB thing. What I posted is accurate. There is speculation and there is making a statement like his where Sony was “forced” to make the show available to xbox. He can speculate but let’s not make it a definitive statement. This thread is in the gaming section, not communities;)

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
When they announced the Full RDNA2 spec AMD and Microsoft released a joint statement to say the only next gen console with full RDNA2 is Xbox , you also tweet and engineer who WORKED on making the Xbox and your opinion is better than all of that. Lol

I get that you LOVE Sony and PlayStation but you have some strange obsession with Xbox where you have to downplay as much as you can and that stretched to tweeting n Xbox engineer

let’s be honest. That “FULL RDNA2” is just pure Pr muscle flexing, nothing more then that. It doesn’t say anything if the SoC’s are both RDNA 2 and we already know this by now. We know that Xbox games also have to release on Windows with support for Other hardware and RDNA GPU’s on PC.

Wouldn’t it be strange to go full custom, if you also need to release games on pc? You guys are still acting like you don't know this by now. I can understand it too, since you guys are the only community who run like sheep after every Pr bullshit from MS, and then get disappointed again like now MS is being vague again.

I call it “nervous”.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
let’s be honest. That “FULL RDNA2” is just pure Pr muscle flexing, nothing more then that. It doesn’t say anything if the SoC’s are both RDNA 2 and we already know this by now. We know that Xbox games also have to release on Windows with support for Other hardware and RDNA GPU’s on PC.

Wouldn’t it be strange to go full custom, if you also need to release games on pc? You guys are still acting like you don't get it. I can understand it too, since you guys are the only community who run like sheep after every Pr bullshit from MS, and then get disappointed again like now MS is being vague again.

This is the thing if they say something they have to be accountable to it and if the said its full RDNA2 then it is, sony hasnt come out and said Andy thing about theirs in regard to that which should also tewll you something, same with releasing a deep dive into their own chip. Why didn’t they have the confidence to do that?

Gatox

Banned
You need to call names? Really? Dude, you’re wrong and he’s wrong about the MLB thing. What I posted is accurate. There is speculation and there is making a statement like his where Sony was “forced” to make the show available to xbox. He can speculate but let’s not make it a definitive statement. This thread is in the gaming section, not communities;)
So "its common knowledge" is your idea of a definitive statement?

dcmk7

Banned
If people really think ps5 will see Starfield same day as xbox IF EVER are still living in denial imho
You have been writing effectively the same post, over and over again, for two days now.

Are you trying to convince yourself or what?

I think we all understand your opinion on the matter.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is the thing if they say something they have to be accountable to it and if the said its full RDNA2 then it is, sony hasnt come out and said Andy thing about theirs in regard to that which should also tewll you something, same with releasing a deep dive into their own chip. Why didn’t they have the confidence to do that?

Why? Why need Sony to do everything Microsoft does? Does that make you feel any better? Sure it’s cool to know but their focus is showing games “let the games do the talk” instead of a lot of muscle flexing like MS did, and still having issues in games compared to the PS5. Sony knows how to market, clearly MS still didn’t get this memo.

The majority of the mainstream doesn’t give a shit about how many L2 cache the CPU has. Who knows, maybe they will release something in the future when an engineer talks at a dev event or something.

You have been writing effectively the same post, over and over again, for two days now.

They do, a lot of them are nervous.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why? Why need Sony to do everything Microsoft does? Does that make you feel any better? Sure it’s cool to know but their focus is showing games “let the games do the talk” instead of a lot of muscle flexing like MS did, and still having issues in games compared to the PS5. Sony knows how to market, clearly MS still didn’t get this memo.

The majority of the mainstream doesn’t give a shit about how many L2 cache the CPU has. Who knows, maybe they will release something in the future when an engineer talks at a dev event or something.

They do, a lot of them are nervous.

Yeah i get different marketing because there are different type of gamers and console owners, sony had the confidence to talk about the SSD in such detail so its not like they haven’t done no tech talk about the PS5. I just think they have focused on the points they know they have an advantage over xbox and deffo the IO and SSD is special, which is why they have left all the RDNA 2 talk to Microsoft

both different ways of looking at it

RGB'D

Really? Like non of them? The ps5 grew on me, but then I hid it behind my tv for a while. Going the buy the XsX next week from a friend, with a year gp ultimate for €549.. is it a good deal or? Need some xbox inside
Gosh mine hasn't grown on me at all. It's a good console but ugly as sin.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Really? Like non of them? The ps5 grew on me, but then I hid it behind my tv for a while. Going the buy the XsX next week from a friend, with a year gp ultimate for €549.. is it a good deal or? Need some xbox inside
I loved HZD and thought TLOU1 was decent the rest were over-rated over-hyped disappointments for me.

It's a great deal just for the fact of being able to get your hands on one. It's an excellent console, dead silent, super high quality build, great options for storage, Quick Resume and GamePass are awesome. Plus you can play tons of great games from the X360 era and selected titles from the OG era most have excellent improvements.

reksveks

They used to have the Entertainment and Devices Division which was mostly made up of Xbox and PC games, and they gave profit and revenue figures. Now they don't.
In 2013 under a different CEO

They have since simplified the top level reporting into cloud, business and personal computing. They still give revenue numbers for personal computing and the device lines under that category

To link that to gamepass being a massive loss leader with any reasonable sources is a stretch but okay.

So only SOME exclusives are worth it? Because that word is prominent these days. There are 2 exclusives sitting their for the plucking. Al they have to do is spend money, which they have in their couch cushions apparently, and bam. 2 new exclusives this year for their systems.
They would have to break a contract. Maybe would end up in protracted litigation, or maybe they don’t think the cost of breaking the deal would be worth it for two titles no one seems particularly excited about? Neither of us know the legal position, making speculation pointless.

I am genuinely curious who you think is in control of these decisions, if you don’t think it’s Microsoft?

I find this line of attack from you and others curious in the extreme.

mckmas8808

Banned
Since Phil is so focused on Game Pass the exclusive games may be the ones that would never survive retail and could only exist on a service like GP. Big tentpole games get released everywhere with possible Xbox exclusive content + GP to lure gamers over.

100% this.

If you own an IP, you make money off the product no matter where it is sold. If you own the DOOM IP and sell a copy of DOOM on PS5, then you make money off that.

This is pretty simple.

It's not as if they can only make money off Skyrim if it is on Xbox alone. This is what all the "IT MUST BE EXCLUSIVE" people seem to think. No. In fact they will make more money if they also sell it on Playstation and Switch. Gamepass cultists don't want to hear it, but it's fact.
The real problem here is that while you're right, I don't see you or any other people asking why Sony or Nintendo don't go after more profits by putting more of their content on products outside of their hardware ecosystems. Now why is that?

After all, you're talking about 50+ million XBO owners and hundreds of millions of PC owners potentially ripe for getting more profits from. Sony is at least dabbling in this somewhat with PSNow and, for native games, ports of select titles to PC (which apparently there will be a lot more of according to Jim Ryan), but Nintendo has not once even considered doing any such thing. And for such a company that has traditional operated off profit-maximizing models, ports of their games to PlayStation, Xbox, PC etc. would be minimal compared to the mountains of revenue they would get out of getting those people to play their games.

...and yet, I NEVER see the argument made for Sony and Nintendo especially, to make more money by selling their games on Xbox and PC. None of the various excuses to avoid asking that question work, either. "They have a different business model." Well, no. Not really. They want to increase revenue and profit..they're businesses. It's kind of what they do. "They focus on hardware, Microsoft is a software/services company." Well Sony doesn't really make money off their hardware sales and their profits come from software. Virtually the same for Nintendo. Also last I checked R&D/production costs on consoles isn't free and Microsoft is spending a pretty penny building Series systems and shipping them out to distribution chains.

For that matter, I don't see you or others ever arguing for Disney, for example, to take their exclusive Disney+ content and provide for competing streaming services. If your notions are so grand, why aren't the media streaming giants implementing this already? Now I've seen the argument that Disney still provides that content on other digital platforms for direct purchase, and various people try equating Microsoft providing these games on PlayStation and/or Nintendo as that equivalent (since users there would have to buy it outright). However, last I checked companies like Disney don't provide that content day-and-date on those other platforms, and all of their biggest IP stays exclusive to their streaming service.

Let's look at WandaVision as a recent example. $250 million in overall production, that's a lot of money. And shows like Falcon/Winter Soldier might be even more costly production-wise. But you can't legally access WandaVision anywhere else but Disney+, and that didn't hurt its chances. In fact, it's the most-viewed television show of the year (so far). You don't think Microsoft is taking note of this stuff, especially considering they have an ex-head of Netflix are a central member of their GamePass team?

We can simply take a look at what the media streaming services are doing and approxiamate that to what Microsoft will probably do with all of the biggest Zenimax IP (new or existing): games like Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, the next Fallout, DOOM etc. will be exclusive to GamePass and likely remain that way for a good year or two. After that time those games will see ports to Sony and Nintendo systems, probably as full collections with the base game & DLC.

A step down from that will see some of the big games that come day-and-date to GamePass and maybe available for purchase on Sony and/or Nintendo platforms, but will have DLC and extra content exclusive to Xbox/PC/GamePass players. For circumstantial reasons I don't think Starfield falls in this category (it will be the former), but other games like DOOM will probably fit this category, partially because it's a FPS and Microsoft are well more than covered for FPS games that will be exclusive to them anyway like Halo Infinite and STALKER 2. The third category will be for MMORPGs like the Fallout '76s and Elder Scrolls Onlines; these games will likely be day-and-date across Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo platforms.

Fourth step would for titles that are essentially considered depreciated or legacy titles; games that might've been Xbox/PC/GamePass exclusive for 3 or so years could fall into this category, as well as remasters (not remakes) of classic Bethesda titles like Morrowind. These games will probably be multi-platform from release if they are remastered classics, as that probably makes most sense. Doubly so if any of those games are getting new installments that will be exclusive to Xbox/PC/GamePass as Microsoft would use those releases as advertisement to drive more growth to their product & services ecosystem.

FrankWza

They would have to break a contract. Maybe would end up in protracted litigation, or maybe they don’t think the cost of breaking the deal would be worth it for two titles no one seems particularly excited about? Neither of us know the legal position, making speculation pointless.

I am genuinely curious who you think is in control of these decisions, if you don’t think it’s Microsoft?

I find this line of attack from you and others curious in the extreme.
Attack? Microsoft has trillions blah blah blah...7.5 billion chump change blah blah...
Let’s see it! These exclusives that nobody is excited about are 2 more exclusives than are on their consoles. Does that mean the evil within 3 should come to PS? They never sell particularly well.
Some idiots aren't worth wasting your time own. They can't even see their own hypocrisy.
one idiot even claimed Sony was forced to release the show on xbox.

But... there is another way to look at it. Maybe MS likes the idea of Bethesda software basically being free for GP right now (development paid for by the existing PC/PS sales along with the Xbox sales that aren't cannibalized by GP).

This is what I think would happen.

MonarchJT

Banned

I probably answer the endless cascade of "can't wait to play all Bethesda games on PlayStation" bs that you can read every 2 post

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but if Microsoft paid 7.5 billion for a company for exclusive games, all the games should be exclusive to Xbox and PC imo. I wouldn’t be making games for the competition in the future because doesn’t that defeat the purpose of buying into your ecosystem? He would of came out and said, if you want to play all future Bethesda games, you have to buy an Xbox or PC I would imagine. If they would of had all their games exclusive, I bet he would of proudly announced it ASAP. We’ll see what happens, but again the wording is sort of vague yet again.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

No because that choice is not there’s to make and exercising ownership after the fact would be dumb and get them into a lot of legal troubles.

The deal is with Sony and Bethesda.
You don't understand, the choice was Microsoft to make the minute they opted to purchase Bethesda and Bethesda agreed to a buyout. There are different styles of M&A that a purchasing company can use. MS using a reverse triangular merger method is why they are honoring the agreements Bethesda made, and even then you could opt to breach the contractual agreements and pay the fines associated with that, more then likely the investment Sony made in obtaining the exclusivity. However, they chose not to, because it's a smart choice financially.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Its exactly what your moronic post deserved.
Usually it's followed by a :messenger_winking: so you can bask in their intelligence and wallow in stupidity.

The constant need to flood these threads with "authoritative" sounding posts speaks volumes of their need to be heard or at the very least be seen as some sort of authoritative figure. Using nonesensical terms like "common sense" in conjunction with words like "logic" are among their favorite tactics. The former being a cardinal sin in any form of discussion.

Best thing to do is not engage as no matter how much sense or thought you put in, it will be impossible for you to come to common ground with them. The post history is there. Also, its entirely plausible that these folks don't work or have a family and have a lot more time on their hands than you do.

DaGwaphics

Dumpster Fire GIF

This Thread. LOL

Basically we don't know shit about what will be where and what exactly is exclusive or not exclusive. There is no moral high ground it's a video game company, if MS wants to take the content as their own, they will, but we don't know if that's what they want to do just yet. I'd be shocked if they didn't take everything noteworthy as an exclusive, but I was shocked when they doubled the price of gold, so, there's that.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Usually it's followed by a :messenger_winking: so you can bask in their intelligence and wallow in stupidity.

The constant need to flood these threads with "authoritative" sounding posts speaks volumes of their need to be heard or at the very least be seen as some sort of authoritative figure. Using nonesensical terms like "common sense" in conjunction with words like "logic" are among their favorite tactics. The former being a cardinal sin in any form of discussion.

Best thing to do is not engage as no matter how much sense or thought you put in, it will be impossible for you to come to common ground with them. The post history is there. Also, its entirely plausible that these folks don't work or have a family and have a lot more time on their hands than you do.

Excellent advice, I found myself stupidly engaging with that same disingenuous troll earlier today in a different thread until I finally woke and thought WTF am doing wasting my time with this nonsense.

As you sagely stated, best not to engage.

Last edited:

johnjohn

This isn’t the xbox ot where you can post things and be applauded. If you make a false statement like you made, you’re getting called out. If you want to continue to be uninformed then by all means, stay ignorant. But saying Sony was forced by MLB to release the show on Xbox is about as accurate as saying companies are forced to release games during the holidays to maximize sales. Microsoft should be happy Sony is allowing it because xbox gamers get a quality baseball game this year instead of waiting for EA to make them one. They had 15 years to make an MLB game and didn’t or couldn’t.
Dude, it's common knowledge that MLB forced Sony's hand in this situation.

Very. All you have to do is look back on the last game Todd Howard directed. Do you want me to tell you the timeline or will you look it up for yourself?

Fallout 76 three years ago

This is a new IP and they will have been hit by covid

I'm not going to rule it out but its unlikely

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Very. All you have to do is look back on the last game Todd Howard directed. Do you want me to tell you the timeline or will you look it up for yourself?
i dont think having your last game being fallout 76 a barometer for anything but well see, now that i think about it you are probably right

Nah, it'll be like the Disney+ model. Big movies go to theaters, shows like Wandavision stay exclusive to the service. The idea would be to profit off the tentpole everywhere plus lure people into the service telling them they could have got said tentpole for 'free' had they just subscribed.
This confuses me because a game like Spiderman would sell well on both Xbox and Switch yet Sony does not release it anywhere but PlayStation, but MS should put their big titles everywhere because why? Wouldn't making the big titles exclusive get more people to your services rather than putting your titles everywhere so people can easily avoid Gamepass the thing you want to expand? Which grows Gamepass faster making the games available everywhere or exclusive to the Xbox platform?

Top Bottom