• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer confirms that some new future Bethesda titles will be Xbox and PC exclusive

Well, duh. I don't see how it makes sense to spend that much money and not have them be exclusive. Then again I am an idiot.
If you own an IP, you make money off the product no matter where it is sold. If you own the DOOM IP and sell a copy of DOOM on PS5, then you make money off that.

This is pretty simple.

It's not as if they can only make money off Skyrim if it is on Xbox alone. This is what all the "IT MUST BE EXCLUSIVE" people seem to think. No. In fact they will make more money if they also sell it on Playstation and Switch. Gamepass cultists don't want to hear it, but it's fact.

Last edited:

FrankWza

What you're describing is still a choice, thus, they still have control over their choices. LOL

They are choosing not to bother with that, as they have done with all their other acquisitions.
Look, i get it. I agree. But you can’t have it both ways.(not you specifically)
Either they have total control and an unlimited amount of money to do what they like and don’t care about profits for now and are growing their brand. Or, they’re a business like any other.

Brofist

If you own an IP, you make money off the product no matter where it is sold. If you own the DOOM IP and sell a copy of DOOM on PS5, then you make money off that.

This is pretty simple.

It's not as if they can only make money off Skyrim if it is on Xbox alone. This is what all the "IT MUST BE EXCLUSIVE" people seem to think. No. In fact they will make more money if they also sell it on Playstation and Switch. Gamepass cultists don't want to hear it, but it's fact.
It's obviously not that simple, otherwise you'd see all Nintendo and Sony games released everywhere.

Salz01

I always thought Bethesda games have been a little over rated. Skyrim is great, but it’s been milked to oblivion. Prey is okay, Wolfenstein started great but the last one was just okay. I never could get into Fallout becuase it seems so janky and out dated to me. Doom 1 was good but can’t compel myself to finish 2... Rage 2 is dog shit. I personally like the dishonored series but they seem to have just dropped it. Maybe I’ll change my tune when they reveal Starfield, but until then it’s a big meh....

Loope

sad get over it GIF

ethomaz

Banned
He did reply you just choose to ignore what he said and like i said here i showed you articles about xbox dev kits going out late but again you choose to ignore them because it doesn’t fit you agrenda
He never replied why some of the GPU parts are old non-RDNA2... he keep full RSNA 2 PR mantra when it is already know some parts are not.

If he come to talk to me the minimum I expect is he answering what was asked and be honest... not PR with “I’m the expert” lol

He basically become a joke in my view.

Last edited:
In related news, Disney Plus crossed 100 million subscribers in 16 months. I wonder how they did it. Surely it couldn't be awesome original content that can't be watched anywhere else. I'm sure Phil Spencer and Satya Nadella are looking at this news and saying, "Geez, I wish we could do that with GamePass. Too bad we have to port our games to Playstation because there's just too much money on the table."

I wonder how many subscribers Disney+ would have if they left all of their properties on competing services due to "muh money on the table".

Don't think you can compare Disney's content to ms's or Sony's for one Disney's gotta be wildly more popular than both put together their content is timeless and has stood the test of time for many many years it's just not realistic to expect growth of the that magnitude in the same time frame for ms or Sony , I'm sure they look and want to it to go down like that but they aren't Disney .

driqe

Would Disney+ grow that fast if you could get Mandalorian and Wanda Vision on Hbo, Netflix and Amazon prime?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
He never replied why some of the GPU parts are old non-RDNA2... he keep full RSNA 2 PR mantra when it is already know some parts are not.

When they announced the Full RDNA2 spec AMD and Microsoft released a joint statement to say the only next gen console with full RDNA2 is Xbox , you also tweet and engineer who WORKED on making the Xbox and your opinion is better than all of that. Lol

I get that you LOVE Sony and PlayStation but you have some strange obsession with Xbox where you have to downplay as much as you can and that stretched to tweeting n Xbox engineer

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Look, i get it. I agree. But you can’t have it both ways.(not you specifically)
Either they have total control and an unlimited amount of money to do what they like and don’t care about profits for now and are growing their brand. Or, they’re a business like any other.

Obviously, they don't have an unlimited amount of money, but they do have a lot of it. There are basically two options.

They go for maximum growth now and things go platform exclusive very quickly (still an option even with the statements they've made), the vagueness may just be because some of the unannounced titles also have distribution deals already in place. Could be softening the blow from that now. This would mean they would have to bankroll development cost until the revenue from GP grew enough to cover it (what streaming services typically do in the growth stage).

Or, they could be looking buy profitable businesses and continue to run them as separate profitable business as a way to basically stack GP for free.

Both have their pros and cons. Given the history of the video game industry, option 1 seems like the no brainer. But maybe option 2 leads to a lot more acquisitions and even more content for GP.

ethomaz

Banned
When they announced the Full RDNA2 spec AMD and Microsoft released a joint statement to say the only next gen console with full RDNA2 is Xbox , you also tweet and engineer who WORKED on making the Xbox and your opinion is better than all of that. Lol
I never did tweet him lol
C’mon... I already knew the type of response he will give so why I should brother to ask him anything?

People really create some narrative out of nowhere... if he won’t come to talk with me I should never waste my time questioning him... the moment he tried to talk with me he should at least be honest.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Would Disney+ grow that fast if you could get Mandalorian and Wanda Vision on Hbo, Netflix and Amazon prime?
Disney+ is growing even when you can buy their tentpole titles on Apple, Amazon, etc.

Content similar to Mando and Wanda will be exclusive to Game Pass.

driqe

It's obviously not that simple, otherwise you'd see all Nintendo and Sony games released everywhere.
They always make that same statement. Why arent Sony and Nintendo putting all their games on Xbox and pc if it makes them so much more money? They are a business too right? Or are they participating in the holy console war?

Interfectum

Mando is HUGE
It wasn't HUGE before they released it. That's the point. Disney+ is for experimental content that will sell the service. Toy Story 4, while available on Disney+, is also sold on every other content provider's service too.

Now think about that in regards to Game Pass. Experimental content stays exclusive to Game Pass with the hope of a few becoming a meme level runaway success, tentpole titles like ES6 get released everywhere.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I never did tweet him lol
C’mon... I already knew the type of response he will give so why I should brother to ask him anything?

People really create some narrative out of nowhere.

you never tweeted him? Lol there was a thread of you saying to him in your opinion he was wrong lol

come on we all seen it. I even commented on it saying you seem like a decent guy but very biased in your views

ethomaz

Banned
you never tweeted him? Lol there was a thread of you saying to him in your opinion he was wrong lol

come on we all seen it. I even commented on it saying you seem like a decent guy but very biased in your views
I never tweeted him... that is true... I replied to his tweet to me.
It is public you can read it.

Last edited:
Again with this? If this were true you would see gt7, God of War, and ratchet and clank on switch and xbox to "make way more money"
You'd also see mario, Zelda, etc on xbox and playstation. Please explain why they don't do this for the billions they invest into these games. Oh wait........

Difference being..... Xbox doesn't sell as many consoles like the Switch or the PlayStation.

driqe

It wasn't HUGE before they released it. That's the point. Disney+ is for experimental content that will sell the service. Toy Story 4, while available on Disney+, is also sold on every other content provider's service too.

Now think about that in regards to Game Pass. Experimental content stays exclusive to Game Pass with the hope of a few becoming a meme level runaway success, tentpole titles like ES6 get released everywhere.
Yeah, the biggest titles go to playstation, xbox only gets the weakest stuff

Interfectum

That's a very simplistic way of thinking. Many would argue Wandavision and Mando are superior to some of their tentpole counterparts and the only way to watch them is to subscribe. So 'weakest' isn't really the right word there.

And at the end of the day, as a Disney+ subscriber I get it all. Tentpoles plus exclusives in one sub. Doesn't matter if those tentpoles are sold elsewhere.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Haha, technically Xbox gets everything in any scenario possible going forward. The question at hand is what do Nintendo and Sony get going forward. MS's position is obviously fully secured.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You in replying to him, you actally tweeted him. Nice spin 🙈🙈🙈
No spin... he twittered me and I replied.
You want to create a narrative I go to him to ask something that is a lie.

He come talk with me so I replied him and he keep the PR without say why they choose to use old non-RDNA2 parts in the Series X GPU.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned

mando have an HUGE production. It was huge. I absolutely don't think big titles will be released on PlayStation. pc + xbox are enough for sales and the lack of PlayStation will serve to increase the brand value which is much more important in the long run.

But i understand that it pleases Sony fans to believe so (I'm not talking about you but in general) at e3 we will see the first cold shower but I think that everything will be clarified also in interviews shortly. All reporters will ask Phil the same thing, be sure

Last edited:

driqe

Haha, technically Xbox gets everything in any scenario possible going forward.
Imagine xbox being the best advertisement for PlayStation lmao. Want to play God of War and Starfield on one console? Or do you want to pay 300/500 for another console just to play that same game on gamepass?

Gatox

Banned

He come talk with me so I replied him and he keep the PR without say why they choose to use old non-RDNA2 parts in the Series X GPU.
Surely even you aren't this delusional to think that's how this conversation went :messenger_tears_of_joy: .You understand this conversation was posted into threads on here and can be seen by us, right?

Gatox

Banned
This isn’t the xbox ot where you can post things and be applauded. If you make a false statement like you made, you’re getting called out. If you want to continue to be uninformed then by all means, stay ignorant. But saying Sony was forced by MLB to release the show on Xbox is about as accurate as saying companies are forced to release games during the holidays to maximize sales. Microsoft should be happy Sony is allowing it because xbox gamers get a quality baseball game this year instead of waiting for EA to make them one. They had 15 years to make an MLB game and didn’t or couldn’t.
As you are so certain on this then you must have access to information to back up your comment then?

ethomaz

Banned
Surely even you aren't this delusional to think that's how this conversation went :messenger_tears_of_joy: .You understand this conversation was posted into threads on here and can be seen by us, right?
The discussion was exactly like I told... my Twitter is open.

- He come to talk with me.
- I said I could be wrong about the CUs (it was a guess if your read it) and make fair questions about the reason to old non-RDNA2 parts in their GPU.
- He replied saying the non-RDNA2 parts are the Zen lol
- I explained I was talking with not about GPU.
- He replied the “full RDNA2” PR.
- I explained the question to him again.
- He said “I’m the expert”
- I give up.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This isn’t the xbox ot where you can post things and be applauded. If you make a false statement like you made, you’re getting called out. If you want to continue to be uninformed then by all means, stay ignorant. But saying Sony was forced by MLB to release the show on Xbox is about as accurate as saying companies are forced to release games during the holidays to maximize sales. Microsoft should be happy Sony is allowing it because xbox gamers get a quality baseball game this year instead of waiting for EA to make them one. They had 15 years to make an MLB game and didn’t or couldn’t.
This is not the place to complain about Xbox OT not fitting your narrative either.
If you make a false statement like you made, you’re getting called out.
Nah, its just you try to make sense about your MLB theory.
If you want to continue to be uninformed then by all means, stay ignorant. But saying Sony was forced by MLB to release the show on Xbox is about as accurate as saying companies are forced to release games during the holidays to maximize sales.
If they are doing something they didn't do for 15 years, logically you assume MLB wanted it to happen else they they give the license 2K or EA, not spin it to something you can share with your circlejerk and think that actually happened.
Microsoft should be happy Sony is allowing it because xbox gamers get a quality baseball game this year instead of waiting for EA to make them one. They had 15 years to make an MLB game and didn’t or couldn’t.
Usually the people who make the product are supposed to be happy at the customers who bought their product, not the other way around.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

right he tweeted you and then you tweeted him so there you tweeted him but you ignore what he said and the press release by AMD and MICROSFT on Rdna2

then you claim all the Dev kits dropped at the same time and I show you multiple articles that state the Xbox Dev kits were late and much later than the PS5 Dev kits, you again choose to disbelieve this so o ask you to back it up and you ignored it because in your opinion they did 🙄🙄

DaGwaphics

Imagine xbox being the best advertisement for PlayStation lmao. Want to play God of War and Starfield on one console? Or do you want to pay 300/500 for another console just to play that same game on gamepass?
True. But then you could also say do you want to keep paying $70 for Starfield, or picking and choosing what Bethesda games you will invest in, or would you rather just get them all with GP?

There is some logic to both mentalities. You can see that in SoT a bit. The game is probably a bigger draw for GP now that it increased in popularity following the steam release. It's apparent value has probably gone up for many because they see their friends playing it, etc. It all comes down to what MS is looking to do. Do they want to use Starfield to directly sell GP and Xbox, thus assuming the costs of making it etc. Or do they let Bethesda just create it as normal but get GP inclusion and marketing rights etc. basically at no cost to them. We don't really have a conclusive answer for that yet, we'll see when the games start getting announced.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
imagine that spot "Greatness awaits: 180$ for two games instead of 9.99 $ on xbox for 300 games"

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
right he tweeted you and then you tweeted him so there you tweeted him but you ignore what he said and the press release by AMD and MICROSFT on Rdna2

then you claim all the Dev kits dropped at the same time and I show you multiple articles that state the Xbox Dev kits were late and much later than the PS5 Dev kits, you again choose to disbelieve this so o ask you to back it up and you ignored it because in your opinion they did 🙄🙄
I did not ignored anything.
We know already Series X’s GPU is a mix of GCN, RDNA, RDNA2 and custom parts.
I asked about the non-RDNA2 parts and he just avoided with the “full RDNA2” PR.

Unless he did not know what I was asking about (hardly) he played the dumb card with the PR.

Both final DevKits dropped around June 2020... the SoC was finalized around mid-late 2019.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Still won’t stop SONY’s domination and now the expectations for these Bethesda games are too high.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I did not ignored anything.
We know already Series X’s GPU is a mix of GCN, RDNA, RDNA2 and custom parts.
I asked about the non-RDNA2 parts and he just avoided with the “full RDNA2” PR.

Unless he did not know what I was asking about (hardly) he played the dumb card with the PR.

So your ignoring the Dev kit claim you made?

he didn’t give PR he worked on the console, he knows what the full spec of RDNA2 is and the console is the only next gen console that is RDNA2

that doesn’t mean ps5 domestic have its own tricks up its sleeve it’s just not full RDNA2 that’s all

Last edited:

FrankWza

What's one sure way to change that?
Have halo ready when you launch a new console. Or within the first year at least. And make exciting IPs that are synonymous with your brand. Buying someone’s past doesn’t make for your own future

Last edited:

Interfectum

Again, if they go this route, we don't know what the "Mando" and "Wanda" games are for Game Pass yet.

It was like only a couple years ago when John Boyega was making a joke about the service saying "You aren't going to Disney+ me" as if any exclusive D+ show is lame shit and look how quickly that narrative can change.

ethomaz

Banned
So your ignoring the Dev kit claim you made?

he didn’t give PR he worked on the console, he knows what the full spec of RDNA2 is and the console is the only next gen console that is RDNA2

that doesn’t mean ps5 domestic have its own tricks up its sleeve it’s just not full RDNA2 that’s all
I added the devkit with an edit.

BTW that has nothing to do with what PS5 has it not... the question was clear enough... why the GPU has old non-RDNA2 parts in the silicon?

If you keep playing the PR like he did then we have nothing to discuss because facts are different... now when you understand what I was asking then we can start to discuss the architecture unrelated to PR of the consoles again.

Last edited:
They’re not. They are contractually obligated to release certain games that we know of and possibly some we don’t. They can go into their pockets and break those contracts but they’re not doing that. Meanwhile, Sony gets at least 2 new releases exclusively on their system courtesy of Microsoft and zenimax. When you factor in how covid has put the clamps on game development and people are clamoring for new games, those 2 games are an even bigger get for Sony. Microsoft had an opportunity to flex their financial muscles there too and they didn’t so I’d ease up on the total control narrative.
I mean, you’re saying the same thing, no? They could (probably) have paid to break those contracts but didn’t. Personally don’t think either is worth it, just let them go. Which they (presumably) chose to do?

When you own something you totally control it, no idea why you are trying to suggest otherwise here?

iHaunter

I love how people pretend like Phil is this awesome, happy-go-lucky guy. The only reason EVERYTHING isn't exclusive is because of contracts. They paid a lot for Bethesda, makes sense they'd want it to be exclusive.

driqe

I love how people pretend like Phil is this awesome, happy-go-lucky guy. The only reason EVERYTHING isn't exclusive is because of contracts. They paid a lot for Bethesda, makes sense they'd want it to be exclusive.
What if they don't want to be mean to playstation

Like with Wolfenstein 3, wouldn't Microsoft be sad if Playstation owners couldn't complete the entire trilogy on Sony's platform?

Last edited:

FrankWza

I mean, you’re saying the same thing, no? They could (probably) have paid to break those contracts but didn’t. Personally don’t think either is worth it, just let them go. Which they (presumably) chose to do?

When you own something you totally control it, no idea why you are trying to suggest otherwise here?
So only SOME exclusives are worth it? Because that word is prominent these days. There are 2 exclusives sitting their for the plucking. Al they have to do is spend money, which they have in their couch cushions apparently, and bam. 2 new exclusives this year for their systems.

FrankWza

This is not the place to complain about Xbox OT not fitting your narrative either.

Nah, its just you try to make sense about your MLB theory.

If they are doing something they didn't do for 15 years, logically you assume MLB wanted it to happen else they they give the license 2K or EA, not spin it to something you can share with your circlejerk and think that actually happened.

Usually the people who make the product are supposed to be happy at the customers who bought their product, not the other way around.
Wow. The anger. Half of this makes no sense. If Sony is doing something now they didn’t do for 15 years then can we assume that Microsoft wasn’t capable of doing it for 15 years? Because they were allowed to and didn’t.

iHaunter

What if they don't want to be mean to playstation
Depends on what they want to do. Microsoft lost the console sales war long ago to both Nintendo and Sony respectfully. So they might not care about hardware and would just want to sell Software. If they release multi-platform they will make more money. Hence the heavy push with GamePass. So they might not make "Everything" exclusive.

reksveks

See we are still repeating the same argument.

BTW gamepass is half the sell, the other sell is the platform and more importantly the mtx revenue. There is a reason that there is a difference in the behaviour in the xbox android app via the Google store and the Samsung store. If Microsoft is able to get you playing fortnite via an xcloud app on your TV, they would be taking a cut of that revenue

driqe

So they might not care about hardware and would just want to sell Software.
Why is this even a thought. Hardware obviously isn't their only focus anymore, does that mean they don't care about selling consoles?

They made 2b in revenue from 3rd party last quarter. They make a lot of money from gold, gamepass and accessories.

Top Bottom