• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Confident in Decision to Delay Starfield

Toots

Gold Member
"A good game is never bad" - Miyamoto-san

DTixcsr.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Not at all.

Skyrim was pretty great and scored dozens of 10/10s. It's still sitting at 94 MC. So unless we expect a significant drop in Bethesda's quality, we should at least expect the same -- if not an improvement that's gained with experience and tech improvements.

And Starfield is expected to have RTX ray-tracing, so it's not unrealistic to expect at least one RT mode on Series X (even if it is the 30 FPS mode) and then have a non-RT 60 FPS mode (which has been the norm for most big developers this generation so far).
I don't see it scoring a 94. Skyrim was a long time ago. A completely different gaming landscape when open world design was still relatively novel, and limited to only a handful of studios. They have been surpassed by virtually every other studio out there in terms of gameplay, animations and modern game engines. I wrote this a few years ago.

I'd be shocked if it scores a 94. I'm expecting around an 88 personally. Fallout 4 is an 84. Fallout 76 is 53. Part of the reason Bethesda was interested in acquisition is because they've been surpassed by almost everyone in their one niche - open world design. They're playing catch up, and after the gameplay reveal we know they're not going to have radical changes to animation or graphics quality. The game looks like Fallout 4 on a bigger scale.

The only real hope for the game is that the writing and story are great. I am surprised they're even considering RTX, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Well if the games turn out great he’s made the right call. I hope to see more from Ninja Theory in the coming months tho , Starfield is anticipated by many but I’m more excited by Project Mara and especially Hellblade 2 which looked great in its last showing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't see it scoring a 94. Skyrim was a long time ago. A completely different gaming landscape when open world design was still relatively novel, and limited to only a handful of studios. They have been surpassed by virtually every other studio out there in terms of gameplay, animations and modern game engines. I wrote this a few years ago.

I'd be shocked if it scores a 94. I'm expecting around an 88 personally. Fallout 4 is an 84. Fallout 76 is 53. Part of the reason Bethesda was interested in acquisition is because they've been surpassed by almost everyone in their one niche - open world design. They're playing catch up, and after the gameplay reveal we know they're not going to have radical changes to animation or graphics quality. The game looks like Fallout 4 on a bigger scale.

The only real hope for the game is that the writing and story are great. I am surprised they're even considering RTX, so I guess we'll see how that goes.
94 is achievable but tough, for sure.

Even a 90, to be honest, is pretty much a 10/10 because sometimes, a game gets bad reviews (Returnal got a 6 😑) that bring down the average. So even a 90 is near a 10/10 experience.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
94 is achievable but tough, for sure.

Even a 90, to be honest, is pretty much a 10/10 because sometimes, a game gets bad reviews (Returnal got a 6 😑) that bring down the average. So even a 90 is near a 10/10 experience.
90 is higher than I expect, but I guess we'll see how it goes. Even action games now are basically open world, while having Naughty Dog levels of polish. Bethesda just isn't that kind of studio right now. That's my main argument though - everyone caught up on open world design and retooled their engines while Bethesda basically stood still for 10 years. This game wont be a radical reinvention for them, but hopefully it's fun and has a cool story.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I was confident in a fart once, didn't go as planned.

uJLkEq8.jpg
Happy You Good GIF

Still, delaying a Bethesda game is for sure because of the bugs. Remember that since Fallout 3, EVERY BETHESDA GAME IS LAUNCHED ON BETA

I can easily see this game launching in 2024, and I'm fine with it

LordCBH

It’s still going to be a buggy, jank filled mess. Just like Morrowind, oblivion, FO3, Skyrim, FO4, FO76…..but hopefully it’s a FUN buggy jank filled mess, like skyrim and before.

I disagree with Phil in this instance.
Starfield is very much needed right now. NOW.
They should have released with smaller content and added more content as time went on.
Gamepass, the very concept of gamepass can allow you to release stuff more often. Grounded, Sea of Thieves have shown this as possible.
I could be chewing my way through a starting area taking my time soaking in the world and lore and goodies.
The game is being used as an exclusive to Xbox so no need to dump and entire finished game on a disk on a shelf for Playstation or Nintendo.

Sometimes I think Phil is too standoffish. I want to hear an inside story of some office meeting that has him just Shouting at developer heads.
I see all those Developers and Studios, Thousands of People all earning paychecks, and the result is a shoulder shrug.
Crack some whips. I would not be earning my own paycheck if I was at work producing NOTHING.

reinking

Gold Member
90 is higher than I expect, but I guess we'll see how it goes. Even action games now are basically open world, while having Naughty Dog levels of polish. Bethesda just isn't that kind of studio right now. That's my main argument though - everyone caught up on open world design and retooled their engines while Bethesda basically stood still for 10 years. This game wont be a radical reinvention for them, but hopefully it's fun and has a cool story.
It is going to score 90 on hype alone. I agree with you about Bethesda. I have had a love-hate relationship with them going back to the days of falling through the world in Sea Dogs. Still, one of my favorite developers.

yurinka

I think that it's better to delay games and to release them in the best possible way to make sure that players and reviewers get the best possible first impression.

I also think that it's better to don't announce the games too early, that it's better to announce the games as late as possible to make sure that when shown they are in a shape very similar to the final game, and that when they announce a date it's a pretty much final one. So I think the optimal point to announce and show AAA games is around a year or a year and a half before release and to announce the release date around 6 months before release, once it's on the final testing stages and they are very confident about the date.

Tams

"The decision to give the team the time to build the game that they feel they should be building is just the right thing to do."

Nice. Wish this was the same attitude with all big publishers.
I can understand the small dev teams that release stuff half done or in Early Access but really no excuse for the "big guys"
On the other hand... you can end up with Duke Nukem Forever...

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I’m just expecting this game to come out and be absolutely mediocre and not deliver on its premise. I just have zero faith in these newly purchased studios. Hope I’m wrong for once

OuterLimits

After Fallout 76 I can never trust Bethesda again. Theres been one gameplay showcase in 2 years lmao.

I'm not a huge fan of Bethesda, but most companies have some major game releases that are either underwhelming or even downright bad. Fallout 76 was the first major blunder from Bethesda.

GymWolf

Hopefully, Phil is staying the hell out of his way.
His job is just to hire as many fucking betatester he can to squash as many bugs as possible, triplicate the number that bethesda usually hire, they are clearly not even close to be enough.

Now they are under M, there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO EXCUSE for a shitty control quality this time, they are not bethesda anymore, they are a microsoft studios.

anthony2690

Banned
I like Phil Spencer like most here do, but can we please get a mega thread for Phil Spencer, or even a full thread dedicated to each interview, rather than multiple threads with different quotes from the same interview please? :)

Roxkis_ii

"Phil Spencer Confident in Decision to Delay Starfield"

Did he didn't have a choice?
It seems like he's trying to get brownie points for a fuck up.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I get more confident when a Sony game get's delayed. Less confident in that game when Microsoft delays.

That's the difference between good studio management and piss poor studio management.

Absolutely unreal that MS hasn't reached a point where they are releasing 2-3 big exclusives a year. Absolutely unreal.

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m just expecting this game to come out and be absolutely mediocre and not deliver on its premise. I just have zero faith in these newly purchased studios. Hope I’m wrong for once

So a ‘newly purchased studio’ mysteriously changes and loses all their talent and skill at making games?

Personally, I wish all publishers and developers would ignore the whining public endlessly screaming, "When?!?"

Just do your work and do it to the best of your ability and release your game when you feel like you've realized your vision. Let the voices chirp and don't worry about it.

I'll be playing the shit out of this whenever it launches, they can delay it until the fall if they need to. Plenty of games to play in the meantime and I'd rather not have a Fallout New Vegas situation at launch where the game could become unplayable due to bugs.

There isn't a single Bethesda game I didn't put over 400 hours into and I'm sure this game won't be any different.

Bethesda's track record has eroded a lot. It's a cautiously optimistic outlook. I hope it's good. This isn't 2008 Bethesda though.
Skyrim and Fallout 4 were excellent and I probably put more time into those two games than any other single player game I've ever played. The only real gripe about the work they do would be with Fallout 76 and that was simply a case of releasing way too early, because the game as it exists today is pretty fucking good and it delivers on their original promise and then some.

ZoukGalaxy

I was confident in a fart once, didn't go as planned.

uJLkEq8.jpg
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

BTW it's not going to say otherwise Sherlock. It's "Phil PR BS" in all its glorious state.
That Stinks Fecal Matter GIF

The game will be released full of bugs as usual, it will become a new meme, they will release some update then modders will end the work as always again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom