• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer already has a Project Scarlett console at home.

NickFire

My honest first reaction was oh wonderful, in about a year from now I can spend $500 to replicate the Xbox One S experience just as Phil is doing.

LokusAbriss

Makes sense, they've been unifying Xbox consoles and PC under one shared ecosystem. Sony said they want to have an exceptionally quick transition from PS4 to PS5, which can likely be accomplished by doing something similar to Xbox (emphasis on compatibility and ecosystem).

I expect Microsoft to unveil this at E3, but considering Sony said E3 is outdated, will they create a Playstation event in February again? That would give Microsoft a lot of time to plan their response to Sony's reveal.

I believe that they will have a significant power advantage over the PS5. Xbox has the money to subsidize their hardware to beat Sony at release. But that is not how Microsoft works in general.

Which would still not be enough to beat Sony in sales. The Playstation brand is just to big of a name. Rightly so.

Man, I hope we get some quality hardware from both companies.

GymWolf

Mee too, it's called scarlett personal computer and i'm gonna play the new darksiders tonight on it.

Last edited:

Chromata

I believe that they will have a significant power advantage over the PS5. Xbox has the money to subsidize their hardware to beat Sony at release. But that is not how Microsoft works in general.

Which would still not be enough to beat Sony in sales. The Playstation brand is just to big of a name. Rightly so.

Man, I hope we get some quality hardware from both companies.

In general Sony and MS have sold at a loss on launch and made up for it with software. I don't think the power difference will be significant but only time will tell. They're both using similar technologies with the same companies and probably targeting similar price points.

Sony's got the upper hand by far since PS4 sold so well and next gen is all about backwards compatibility. That's probably why Microsoft wants to entice users with a great deal (game pass + Lockhart + option of paying monthly price instead of all that cash up front).

jonnyp

Oh yes, I saw that. hmmmm dunno. maybe he has a prototype

Oh I don't question Phil having a prototype. But the fact that he has one, kinda undermines the 'surprise' reason for developers not having devkits to develop games on.

And he has no exclusive games to play on it. Same shit different gen?

giphy.gif

Virex

Banned
Rumor has it he also happens to be human.
Bullshit! He is the very living, breathing sentient embodiment of Gamepass. He's not human. He is GamePass.

P.S. Have you heard of this secret little thing called Gamepass? Don't forget to subscribe to gamepass.
P.S.S. There's this little unknown thing called Gamepass. Have you ever heard of it. Dont forget to subscribe to Gamepass.

Last edited:
My mind is blown that the head of Xbox has a new Xbox less than a year out from official launch and it's backwards compatible like they said it would be! What a day, what a glorious day!

TheContact

BC for xbox one accessories and games doing back to the original xbox is huge for me. I really hope Sony follows suit. I still have a whole library of PS1 and PS2 games I can't play anymore since my phat ps3 unit died years back

TheContact

Wasn't there just a thread saying there werent even dev kits yet? So Phil had a working console in his house, but there are no dev kits? Lol

Technically there are dev kits they are just extremely rare. Developers are likely making games on PC and emulating it to what they expect the console's power to be.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Jason's reply:

Someone's being struck off the Xmas card list :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's actually a really weak troll by Jason. Easier to bring home from work? Yes, grabbing a Switch out of a dock is marginally easier than unplugging a console and bringing it to a new location, but not by much. Also, Phil mentions connecting to the community, which we all know the Switch is terrible at. It just seems like a comment made to earn Twitter cred with his followers; it's a throwaway, "LOOK HOW SMART AND EDGY I AM YOU GAIS" tweet.

mejin

I guarantee you Phil spencer did not bring a Scarlett dev kit home. He will say anything to anyone at anytime to get attention and headlines. Devs do don’t have kits but he’s bringing one home? Give me a break.

a new xbox hardware to play games of the past makes sense since retro is the biggest trump card of MS.

You mean accessories BC? Yes, that's nice. Hope Sony does the same.

I thought Accessory BC was cleared up well before the Elite Controller 2: Electric Boogaloo was released.

I guess I'm confused as to why this was in question in the first place?

dolabla

If this thing is fully backwards compatible (which sounds like it is), I hope Gamestop's X trade in prices toward the Scarlett are very good. I'll definitely trade it in.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You mean a devkit or even a testkit. Nothing really special since every company test products in the field.

You mean a devkit or even a testkit. Nothing really special since every company test products in the field.
I'm sure but he does say it's now his primary console. He's going to have to swap it out every-so-often but I get the impression he wants us to know he's confident using it as his daily console with current gen games.

Of course, he's the head of Xbox so it's in his best interest to make sure we think that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
"It already exists to there's no point in saying we waited to launch the Scarlet after Sony so we could make adjustment."

NickFire

If this thing is fully backwards compatible (which sounds like it is), I hope Gamestop's X trade in prices toward the Scarlett are very good. I'll definitely trade it in.
I would not hold you breath on that. Only guessing, but I doubt the demand for the old machines would be as strong once the new machine does everything. And then there's the elephant in the room (gamestop's overall health). Still guessing, but if they are worried about cash flow, debt servicing, etc., I doubt they want to eat higher losses on new products in hopes of selling the old machines for a healthy profit down the road. There comes a point where loss leaders are just losses.

pr0cs

It would be a lot more exciting if he included a photo, even a blurry potato cam version.
At least it's safe to assume Scarlett works well bc wise and that the os and features have a lot of time to mature before launch

thelastword

Banned
Bullshit! He is the very living, breathing sentient embodiment of Gamepass. He's not human. He is GamePass.

P.S. Have you heard of this secret little thing called Gamepass? Don't forget to subscribe to gamepass.
P.S.S. There's this little unknown thing called Gamepass. Have you ever heard of it. Dont forget to subscribe to Gamepass.
Reminds me of the Titanfall meme...."Have you heard of Titanfall"....

hunthunt

Banned
I wonder if this will be a good next generation Xbox or fans will have to wait 4 years and pay premium to get a good machine, like with the Xbox One.

Bkdk

I’m just waiting for 3080ti to be released Around end of 2020 and I’ll have my Scarlett X ready. I have to say though, MS really has the absolute best first party lineup and developers next year or two so I’m really excited of what they will do in the near future.

Last edited:

McCheese

The wording of the tweet sounds like it's in retaliation to those articles that nobody has seen a dev kit yet.

Remember back when that kid took a picture of the xbox 360 his dad had brought home? before they had even shown the console off at E3, I wonder how Phil plans to stop his kids from spilling the beans.

Top Bottom