• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer – Xbox Series X Noise Level is Similar to Xbox One X

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Spencer played on the console this past weekend, describing it as “that same experience that people will have at home” and “nothing debug or employee about it.” “On both the GPU and CPU side, these consoles are powerful computers essentially. I wanted a large fan that we could spin a little more slowly so that we’re not making noise. I wanted to make a really quiet console. I love what what we had done with the Xbox One X and the quietness of the console is something we focused on.

“We built a form followed function design for our console so that we could draw a lot of air with a big fan spinning a little bit slower, so we didn’t get those high-pitched, whining sounds that a console can normally make.”

When actually playing it, Spencer said that, “When I put the Series X in place of my One X, there was no more noise than what I saw with the One X and a lot more power. You literally just plug it in, right in place and get such a big upgrade. All my games are working and it sounds just like my Xbox One X did, with a lot more power.” That’s good news for Xbox One X players who don’t want to sacrifice noise levels for the sake of better performance.

Spencer also spoke about Sony’s PlayStation 5 and how it faces different challenges since it’s running differently from the Xbox Series X. “The PS5 is running at higher clocks, so they’re running their box differently than we are, so it creates different design challenges, which is true of both consoles. They took an approach that’s different, but I’m sure they had similar design goals for themselves around what it means to run and how it sounds.” And before you ask, yes, Spencer likes the PS5.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm assuming the x is pretty quiet (never seen one in person) by the way he talks, so that's good news, hopefully it stays quiet under heavy load. The noise is the one thing I hate about my pro
Pretty much never heard my Xbox one X make a sound and it’s not enclosed and sits a metre from me when playing PUBG, a game that taxes it to it’s limits due to bluehole being terrible devs haha.

Pretty sure he said this months ago already anyway, that’s why the design is what it is.

reforen

The One X is really quiet, just one time I heard the fan whichs is not noisy but you can notice it, I was playing RDR2 the island mission that seems to push the console to its limits

Barakov

Gold Member
Well, finally some good news. My XOX is pretty quiet. I mean I can tell it's on but it doesn't get loud like my Pro when the disc drive revs up.

TonyK

After reading this I really can imagine a future where Microsoft games are published in Sony and Nintendo consoles.

Several years ago it would seem impossible. Like Sonic in Nintendo consoles, Mario in mobile or Sony exclusives in PC. But now?

ZywyPL

Banned
Nothing beats the OG VHS, but 1X is still a really good benchmark, especially if we consider the power to form factor ratio.

jigglet

Banned
I don't care if it's a little louder or quieter than 1X...as long as it's not as loud as the PS4 Pro that I'm suffering with right now. God this thing is a loud POS.

At least we will be able to pick out the ps5 owners on cross platform games if things are like last gen
you ever jump into a modern warfare lobby and you hear a hair salon in a jet hanger in the background its a PlayStation player

Pretty much never heard my Xbox one X make a sound and it’s not enclosed and sits a metre from me when playing PUBG, a game that taxes it to it’s limits due to bluehole being terrible devs haha.

Pretty sure he said this months ago already anyway, that’s why the design is what it is.

I havent seen/heard any xbox after 360 as nobody I know owns them, so dont know what is the reality

But your claim that you cant hear it from 1m away sounds crazy, are you 100% sure that your apartment isnt just noisy or you havent noticed it, because many humans are good to ignore noises?

Switch is really quiet system and I can hear it from 3-5m away in normal quiet room, even when gaming with sounds on, on the more quiet moments.

"Cant hear it from 1m away" would be my dream as I hate noises, but anything with moving parts is possible to be heard.

Even my bluray player is easily audible and it is super quiet.

So hard to believe.

Only noise measurements made by professionals + pro equipment should be used as reference of how noisy consoles are.

Because noise is subjective thing. One friend claimed his ps4 were silent when I complained about mine. Went se check his, could hear it to the front door, noisier than mine. And then he noticed it

So there are no "silent" consoles, just noisy rooms and different tolerances for noises.

BUT good thing if it is quiet enough, not to mask voice actors like my pro does

phil_t98

#SonyToo
My one x is whisper quiet but if i put it i a cabinet where it gets a lil hotter it can get loud. One of the oddity’s i noticed it gets loud on the menus of the new plants vs zombies, its bizarre as nothing going on there. I take it that its prob down to bad coding of the game really.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I was hoping for this! I never hear my XBox One X, and it's only about 2 to 3 feet away from where I sit. :)

MrFunSocks

Banned
I havent seen/heard any xbox after 360 as nobody I know owns them, so dont know what is the reality

But your claim that you cant hear it from 1m away sounds crazy, are you 100% sure that your apartment isnt just noisy or you havent noticed it, because many humans are good to ignore noises?

Switch is really quiet system and I can hear it from 3-5m away in normal quiet room, even when gaming with sounds on, on the more quiet moments.

"Cant hear it from 1m away" would be my dream as I hate noises, but anything with moving parts is possible to be heard.

Even my bluray player is easily audible and it is super quiet.

So hard to believe.

Only noise measurements made by professionals + pro equipment should be used as reference of how noisy consoles are.

Because noise is subjective thing. One friend claimed his ps4 were silent when I complained about mine. Went se check his, could hear it to the front door, noisier than mine. And then he noticed it

So there are no "silent" consoles, just noisy rooms and different tolerances for noises.

BUT good thing if it is quiet enough, not to mask voice actors like my pro does
Nah I'm sure. I'm in my gaming room and I can never hear it over the sound of the game, even when I'm just using TV sound instead of the surround sound or headset. It is whisper quiet.

Well, my XOX is quite noisy, so don't know exactly what to make of this!
If it's a launch unit, I suggest replacing the thermal paste. Worked wonders for me. It would sound pretty loud when I launched Modern Warfare (nowhere near as loud as my PS4 Pro though). Now it's back to whisper quiet. It's super easy, and makes for a quick weekend project!

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Well tbf when your flagship title looks like something my Note10 phone could run then im sure your console is whisper quiet... its hardly being fucking taxed now is it /s

In other news my Pro sounds like i'm parked beside a fucking airport when playing God of War so i envy xbox

Grinchy

Banned
The One X seems to not make a single peep for me unless it's playing a 4K blu ray movie. Then the disc drive is kinda loud, the system gets quite hot, and the app that plays the disc often crashes and has playback problems around halfway through the movie. But playing games from the hard drive is always silent.

BigLee74

If it's a launch unit, I suggest replacing the thermal paste. Worked wonders for me. It would sound pretty loud when I launched Modern Warfare (nowhere near as loud as my PS4 Pro though). Now it's back to whisper quiet. It's super easy, and makes for a quick weekend project!

Yeah it's a launch unit, but it's always been pretty noisy on any half demanding game. As much as I'd like to crack it open and attempt a fix, my wife doesn't call me "Mr Botch-It" for nothing you know! 😂

Last edited:

martino

no way i can do this if i had one : https://fr.ifixit.com/News/9450/xbox-one-x-teardown
(didn't do it for same reason on ps4 pro, i prefer noise over breaking it )

Wizz-Art

Great, but kind off expected. My OG One, One S and two One X's are extremely silent and that's what I come to expect of Xbox consoles going forward!

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Mine was pretty much silent for months but recently has started to make a lot of noise, even in not demanding games. Probably related to the thermal paste but I am not certain I want to replace. Seems a bit scary to do it.

polka22

I don't care if it's a little louder or quieter than 1X...as long as it's not as loud as the PS4 Pro that I'm suffering with right now. God this thing is a loud POS.
I agree completely. I seldom play the pro anymore because of the noise. The noise makes me reluctant to buy a PS5. The X on the other hand has been outstanding.

no way i can do this if i had one : https://fr.ifixit.com/News/9450/xbox-one-x-teardown
(didn't do it for same reason on ps4 pro, i prefer noise over breaking it )
My wife rolls her eyes when I take my iFixit kit out, followed by a "what're are you breaking now??".
Honestly though, it really is super easy. Just have a clean workspace and organize your parts. The hardest part for me was removing the X Clamp, but that's due to my fat fingers. Once you've replaced the paste, just play the video backwards.
I did the same for my Pro, and it was a waste of thermal paste. It literally made no difference, the cooling solution Sony used isn't as good as the One X.

Mine was pretty much silent for months but recently has started to make a lot of noise, even in not demanding games. Probably related to the thermal paste but I am not certain I want to replace. Seems a bit scary to do it.
Poster above you linked an iFixit teardown. It's fairly simple to do. Took me about an hour, mostly due to taking my sweet time. It's worth it.

martino

My wife rolls her eyes when I take my iFixit kit out, followed by a "what're are you breaking now??".
Honestly though, it really is super easy. Just have a clean workspace and organize your parts. The hardest part for me was removing the X Clamp, but that's due to my fat fingers. Once you've replaced the paste, just play the video backwards.
I did the same for my Pro, and it was a waste of thermal paste. It literally made no difference, the cooling solution Sony used isn't as good as the One X.

tell that to last 2 phones i tried to fix :D
if it was already broken i would try it. But for noise problems, the risk of me doing is too high.

I'm assuming the x is pretty quiet (never seen one in person) by the way he talks, so that's good news, hopefully it stays quiet under heavy load. The noise is the one thing I hate about my pro
It's so quiet i sometimes have to check that its actually turned on. Virtually whisper quiet and even under heavy games its still barely makes a noise. People weren't joking around when they were praising the engineering and design of the One X. If the Xbox One had been something similair at launch then the sales could've been a bit different now.

Amaranty

I agree completely. I seldom play the pro anymore because of the noise. The noise makes me reluctant to buy a PS5. The X on the other hand has been outstanding.
I have changed the thermal paste twice now on my Pro. It's more quiet for about 3 weeks and then it starts to roar again. It's also crazy how if it's loading a game, then it's whisper quiet but as soon as the game starts or start menu pops up, it goes crazy loud, like the fan forgot what its meaning in life is while loading.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think we can all safely say that this is one area where Xbox pisses all over PlayStation from a great height.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think we can all safely say that this is one area where Xbox pisses all over PlayStation from a great height.
I only have a PS4 slim but i never notice anbd more noise out of it then my Xbox x to be fair. I have heard the pro is loud though

ZehDon

Gold Member
Great to hear. I regret buying my PS4 Pro in no small part because it's louder than the games on my 5.1 system.

REDRZA MWS

There is simply not even a comparison. I can’t hear my launch one x, at all. My launch Pro? Every game pro enhanced makes it sound like a vacuum cleaner. Literally. I can hear it 6 ft away even with headphones on.

Sony need to do better this time, I don’t think that’s a secret.

KiNeMz

Banned
Xbox fan is bigger and more powerful. Sony fan probably runs at higher revolutions but more dynamic. Console war is on!!!!!

Top Bottom