• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Fury release date announced: April 23rd 2024

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean... if you insist. The game looked awesome in the original reveal trailer, but looked rough in the Realms Deep one last year. I really want this to be good, but I'm cautiously optimistic. April feels really soon based on what they showed last time.

Last edited:

Loke

I mean... if you insist. The game looked awesome in the original reveal trailer, but looked rough in the Realms Deep one last year. I really want this to be good, but I'm cautiously optimistic. April feels really soon based on what they showed last time.
Yeah, the demo lowered my expectations significantly. But still looking forward to it. Just not hoping for another Bombshell disaster.

WitchHunter

Banned

3D Realms just announced a release date for Phantom Fury, which is a sequel to Ion Fury. It's coming very soon, on April 23rd

Demon core! Prevent global catastrophy! I'm hooked. Let's go mudabitches. 3DRealms upped the ante, they are bringing us this groundbreaking thing. Let's hope for a ray trance patch after release.

Denton

Trailer looks great. I played the first on Steam Deck but never finished it, this looks more interesting tbh.

JonSnowball

Nice, Ion fury was amazing, hopefully this will be same or better.
I hang around the 3D Realms Discord. Ion Fury was developed by Voidpoint who had creative control of the game, they also self-funded development because...I guess 3D Realms exploits people?

To make it clear: Voidpoint who developed Ion Fury are NOT involved in Phantom Fury. Phantom Fury is developed by the incompetent retards who were behind Rise of the Triad (2013), Bombshell, and Kingpin Reloaded.
Expect this game to suck ass.

Neon Xenon

The Phantom Fury demo that I played during Realms Deep 2023 was not impressive in the least. The word I could use to describe what was shown is "undercooked", at best. Lack of punch and feedback in the weapons, enemy encounters that felt placeholder and stilted, and one particular enemy that either had too much health or the weapons needed buffing. The level design for the one level was okay. For a demo (which, in other cases, I could safely assume is closer along in progress to a full release), it really felt like the game was not ready for prime time. And I really hate to say all this, because I am interested to see how a follow up to Ion Fury plays out.

So I can only hope that there have been some major improvements in the time between the Phantom Fury 2023 demo and the full release on April 23rd.
EDIT: April 23rd still seems far too soon for this.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I hang around the 3D Realms Discord. Ion Fury was developed by Voidpoint who had creative control of the game, they also self-funded development because...I guess 3D Realms exploits people?

To make it clear: Voidpoint who developed Ion Fury are NOT involved in Phantom Fury. Phantom Fury is developed by the incompetent retards who were behind Rise of the Triad (2013), Bombshell, and Kingpin Reloaded.
Champions League Reaction GIF by UEFA

That takes all excitement out of this announcement.

Apocryphon

Ion Fury was fantastic but I’m still not feeling this. It don’t help that it is a different studio that doesn’t have a great track record, including the fuck awful Kingpin remaster that came out last year. Slipgate Ironworks wouldn’t have been my first choice to outsource Phantom Fury to. Hopefully Voidpoint are working on a proper Build based Ion Fury follow up because I like the character and the world and it felt amazing to play.

xrnzaaas

So what is the studio behind the first game up to now? They're still in the business?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Good to know. I suppose the next retro shooter to be excited for is still Selaco.

JonSnowball

So what is the studio behind the first game up to now? They're still in the business?
They still exist as a company but I don't think they're working on any big projects right now. They're the team that maintain the EDuke32 Duke Nukem 3D source port. It would be cool to see them do a Duke Nukem game but with Randy Pitchford owning the franchise I doubt that would happen because it would involve a good decision being made.

Guilty_AI

Hopefully Voidpoint are working on a proper Build based Ion Fury follow up because I like the character and the world and it felt amazing to play.
They still exist as a company but I don't think they're working on any big projects right now.
They did release Aftershock, DLC for Ion fury, late last year:

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I understand everything you say but if the game had another name, I would still find it interesting, the trailer is well made and looks like a good retro N64/PSX shooter. Unless they really drop the ball on gameplay and level design, I really don’t care about franchise name.

JonSnowball

I understand everything you say but if the game had another name, I would still find it interesting, the trailer is well made and looks like a good retro N64/PSX shooter. Unless they really drop the ball on gameplay and level design, I really don’t care about franchise name.
Someone didn't play the demo...or any other games the same developers released. They have a track record that varies from terrible to mediocre with Graven being their most recent adventure in boredom and Kingpin Reloaded being a technical shit show they immediately stopped patching.

Hudo

That's that, then.

amigastar

I for one loved Rise of the Triad (2013) so i will check this also out.
also

Last edited:
I for one loved Rise of the Triad (2013) so i will check this also out.
also

How the hell does a game get a 9/10 with stuff like this? This is 3/10 game design alone:

"A big reason why so many of these paths were hidden is also due to an unfortunate lack of consistency in the game. One room will have you move a box into position and hop a fence, only for the next to use an easily jumpable fence as an invisible wall to prevent progress. Another might have you punch open a grey metal door, only for all the rest of said doors throughout the level to be locked and unpunchable. It gives the game a bad habit of training you to expect one thing, only for that thing to never operate that way again—or if it does, it will do so only have several instances of the rule being broken."

KaiserBecks

3D Realms just announced a release date for Phantom Fury, which is a sequel to Ion Fury. It's coming very soon, on April 23rd

Eddie Murphy Agree GIF by Coming to America

No Way Reaction GIF by Freeform

Damn. I guess we'll have to hope for the best.

FireFly

Someone didn't play the demo...or any other games the same developers released. They have a track record that varies from terrible to mediocre with Graven being their most recent adventure in boredom and Kingpin Reloaded being a technical shit show they immediately stopped patching.
Based on the reviews so far it seems that it is a lot better than the demo but still unpolished and not properly paced. If they support it long term, it might turn out to be an ok shooter.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Yeah, this kills me after how good that reveal trailer was... but as I'd said earlier in the thread, the Realms Deep footage from 2023 made it clear that this game was half baked, at best. Damn shame, but maybe they'll fix it after the fact like they kinda tried to do with Bombshell?

Edit: Come to think of it, I haven't played the Ion Fury DLC yet. At least I have that to look forward to.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah, this kills me after how good that reveal trailer was... but as I'd said earlier in the thread, the Realms Deep footage from 2023 made it clear that this game was half baked, at best. Damn shame, but maybe they'll fix it after the fact like they kinda tried to do with Bombshell?

Edit: Come to think of it, I haven't played the Ion Fury DLC yet. At least I have that to look forward to.

It's a bit of a disappointment, but most of the issues can be fixed with a few patches.
A rep from 3DReamls said on the Guru3d forums, that the version these reviewers were playing didn't have the day one patch. So some of the issues might already be fixed.
Still, I'll probably wait a while, until I get this game.

I haven't played Aftershock yet. So that is something to look forward.

Top Bottom