• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online II New Genesis Prologue 2 is Live

Vasto

This Second Special Program will have a lot of new information for "PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 NEW GENESIS"(referred to as "PSO2:NGS") which is a currently hot topic! On this special program, Hiro Arai, the official navigator of "PSO2:NGS" will share updated information from "PSO2:NGS", including sharing a report from the first CBT conducted in Japan in January 2021 through footage.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
All i want is a remaster of PSO 1&2

I put 700 hours into PSO2 but it really isnt a patch on the DC/GC, yeah nostalgia plays a bit part, but it isnt just that.
I miss the simplicity of OG PSO. Just a couple of levels and simple loot tables. That's all I need :messenger_tongue:
I tried PSO 2 a few years ago and was just completely overwhelmed with all the different systems, menus and even mission types. Like wtf.. i just wanna teleport down to a planet and wander around killing stuff with others.
Just give this new version a chance. Just a chance. And if you truly like nothing about the new revamp, then you can go ahead and make another PSO 1 nostalgia thread.

Naked Lunch

This is the biggest Xbox exclusive that no one talks about.
Still hard to believe its coming out.

PSO2 is no doubt crazy confusing and complex - but if you spend alittle time with it, its not that bad. The huge problem is going away from awhile then returning, and youre lost all over again.

Ill be signing up for that beta - I got a Dreamcast mag from the vanilla PSO2 beta.

Freeman76

This is the biggest Xbox exclusive that no one talks about.
Still hard to believe its coming out.

PSO2 is no doubt crazy confusing and complex - but if you spend alittle time with it, its not that bad. The huge problem is going away from awhile then returning, and youre lost all over again.

Ill be signing up for that beta - I got a Dreamcast mag from the vanilla PSO2 beta.
How do we sign up for it? I checked their Twitter but found no details, although I'm not well known for my ability to find info 😂😂

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I tried PSO 2 a few years ago and was just completely overwhelmed with all the different systems, menus and even mission types. Like wtf.. i just wanna teleport down to a planet and wander around killing stuff with others.
It is very overwhelming at first. It's like Menu Simulator 2021. However, if you give it some time and follow some youtube tutorials its actually pretty rewarding . This PSO Genesis looks like a lite version of what Final Fantasy XIV did with A realm Reborn. Complete overhaul of the game. Not looking forward to learning new systems necessarily but the gameplay looks really fun.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It is very overwhelming at first. It's like Menu Simulator 2021. However, if you give it some time and follow some youtube tutorials its actually pretty rewarding . This PSO Genesis looks like a lite version of what Final Fantasy XIV did with A realm Reborn. Complete overhaul of the game. Not looking forward to learning new systems necessarily but the gameplay looks really fun.
Its not a overhaul, its a new game. PSO2-NG is basically PSO3.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Destiny 2 also allowed you to transfer your Destiny character if you completed the Black Garden Mission.
This is a much better implementation of that, makes you feel that you are part of the universe.
Does PSO2 continue to exist after PSO2 Genesis is released? Like in FFXIV the old game was done away with in lieu of ARR. Is this like that?

EDIT: Nvm

Last edited:

lyan

I was lucky enough to get selected for the beta last week and now you can do just that, simply walk outside and there are plenty of stuff for you to kill and loot!

I think NGS's open style is going ease things up a lot for new players to swallow, plus since it's basically a new game there is no years of obsolete systems and content piled up to make things appear more complex than it really is.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I downloaded PSO2 last week after discovering it was free on the MS store (then I switched to Steam).

Played the first few missions. Seems fun. I'd rather have people to play with though.

Rikku-X

Why not just call it Phantasy Star Online III? The name is of putting and confusing. Do you need to have PSO2 downloaded to play it? Does it use the same character as you use in PSO2? I feel the ship has sailed on PSO2. So a new start would be good.

lyan

Why not just call it Phantasy Star Online III? The name is of putting and confusing. Do you need to have PSO2 downloaded to play it? Does it use the same character as you use in PSO2? I feel the ship has sailed on PSO2. So a new start would be good.
It uses the same client and supposedly you can just teleport your character ingame through some door/menu back and forth between the PSO2 and NGS world anytime.

Items/Levels are more or less separate except old cosmetics. PSO2 equipment while usable in NGS will have their stats changed to match the new system (for reference the rarest weapons in PSO2 are going to be turned into to 4 star(=rarity level) equipment, in the closed beta we have access to 3star equipment within a few hours of the game).

Wonko_C

I'm SOL because my old CPU (which can perfectly play vanilla PSO2 at max settings) doesn't support AVX. After PSO2 moves to the new engine I won't be able to keep playing that game either. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I can't really afford to upgrade right now. I guess I'm going to play the Japanese version on the PS4 a bit. (Please Sega, release it globally on PS4 too)

Rikku-X

Because it isn't a whole new entry that would justify such a name ?
It's just strange. It would be like if Destiny had new content which was in a new engine and had a new UI and combat. But was only a part of Destiny 2. Just seems bolted on.

cireza

It's just strange. It would be like if Destiny had new content which was in a new engine and had a new UI and combat. But was only a part of Destiny 2. Just seems bolted on.
If even SEGA themselves don't feel that this is a new proper entry, what would the players think upon discovering the game if it was named Phantasy Star Online 3 ?

Very curious to try the game on Xbox when it becomes available by the way.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why doesn't Sega release a modern version of this game and actually invest some money into it? Seems like it could be a huge success if they did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom