• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis |OT| Time to Pharty Again

Komatsu

pso2-newgen-ot-logo.png

Release Date: June 9th, 2021
Price: Free to Play
Developer: SEGA
Publisher: SEGA
Platform: Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PC

pso2-ng-screens.png

It is a full millenium after the events of Phantasy Star Online 2. You are a recently arrived METEORN in the planet of HALPHA. Meteorns are people who fall from the skies in space pods, with no memory of their previous life. You will join ARKS, short for Artificial Relict to Keep Species, the military force of the trans-galactic Oracle Fleet, in fighting a new threat.

pso2-ng-screens-2.png

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis is an entirely new game, with a new graphics engine, revamped gameplay and a new story line. Players will be allowed to transfer their characters from PSO2 to NG, however only cosmetics will carry over, as skill and level progression will not be inherited. The 6 Classes available at launch are Hunter, Ranger, Force, Fighter, Gunner, and Techter. Choose the Class that best suits your play-style and start your adventure!

Hunter
Hunter is a Class that can handle 3 types of weapon: the Sword, Partisan, and Wired Lance. An excellent close-combat Class, they can use their defensive abilities to jump in front of the enemy and can quickly switch from defense to offense!

Ranger
Ranger is a Class that can handle 2 types of weapon: the Rifle and Launcher. Keeping your distance from the enemy will give you an advantage in battle. With Class Skills that provide support , this Class allows you to attack without the need for rest!

Force
Force is a Class that can handle 2 types of weapon: the Rod and Talis. Specializing in the use of Techniques, they can always launch an attack by combining their abundant PP recovery methods!

Fighter
Fighter is a Class that can use 3 types of weapon: Twin Daggers, the Double Saber, and Knuckles. An agile, close-combat Class that uses lightweight weapons, they can fight without delay by taking advantage of a wide variety of attacks !

Gunner
Gunner is a Class that can use 2 types of weapons: Twin Machine Guns and the Assault Rifle. This Class is able to dodge enemy attacks with style while performing spectacular counterattacks!

Techter
Techter is a Class that can handle 2 types of weapon: the Wand and Talis. In addition to close-combat with the Wand, they can use their Class Skills to support allies and gain the advantage in battle!

System Requirements​

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel ® Core™ i3-4150
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce® GT430
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 103 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Soundcard (DirectX 9.0c and above)
    • Additional Notes: Monitor Resolution: 1280x720 pixels or higher Only XInput controllers are supported.
  • Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel ® Core™ i9-10900
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 103 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Soundcard (DirectX 9.0c and above)
    • Additional Notes: Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels Only XInput controllers are supported.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
how's controller support for this game? i absolutely adored PSO1 but was waiting for this to give PSO2 a shot.

Furball

how's controller support for this game? i absolutely adored PSO1 but was waiting for this to give PSO2 a shot.

Pretty garbage . You better use something that let you customization input like DS4 for PS4 controler than using official support .

The game has too many input but it not allow you mapping combination button like FF14 so you pretty much limited on how many function u can map into controller . For example , in FF14 you can us R1 + Dpad to zoom in and zoom out , in PSO2 even in new genesis , you cant do that

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

It is actually pretty bad on the PC. For combat, it's fine and you can - after a bit - manage the ridiculous UI. Going into menus is where things completely break down.

However yes, there are WAY too many functions in the game and just an overall poor UI design. Needs to be worked on honestly, though this may not apply to New Genesis (haven't played).

Komatsu

Pretty garbage . You better use something that let you customization input like DS4 for PS4 controler than using official support .

The game has too many input but it not allow you mapping combination button like FF14 so you pretty much limited on how many function u can map into controller . For example , in FF14 you can us R1 + Dpad to zoom in and zoom out , in PSO2 even in new genesis , you cant do that

It is actually pretty bad on the PC. For combat, it's fine and you can - after a bit - manage the ridiculous UI. Going into menus is where things completely break down.

However yes, there are WAY too many functions in the game and just an overall poor UI design. Needs to be worked on honestly, though this may not apply to New Genesis (haven't played).

Have you actually taken part in the New Genesis Close Beta Test or are you talking of the old PSO2's controller support? If yes, then that's irrelevant. NG is an entirely new game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Have you actually taken part in the New Genesis Close Beta Test or are you talking of the old PSO2's controller support? If yes, then that's irrelevant. NG is an entirely new game.

As said, maybe they upped their UI game. Nothing I've seen from gameplay videos suggests that though with everything pointing to the game still having menus on menus.

My god look at the comments on PSO Global Twitter. So much port begging for PS4/5. Maybe Sega/SquareEnix/Sony/MS should all sit down together and make a deal. FF7 Intergrade comes to Xbox and PSO2: NG comes to PS. Edit: I guess a trade that would make more sense is FF14 for New Genesis

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I downloaded this but I cant play yet! Servers still not up.
Im wondering if I can just put my PSO2 character directly into NG.

My god look at the comments on PSO Global Twitter. So much port begging for PS4/5. Maybe Sega/SquareEnix/Sony/MS should all sit down together and make a deal. FF7 Intergrade comes to Xbox and PSO2: NG comes to PS. Edit: I guess a trade that would make more sense is FF14 for New Genesis
I mean, these people could buy an Xbox you know?
Isnt that how exclusives work?

lyan

In terms of combat controllers play totally fine for melee classes. For ui it's less about bad controller support but rather how bad the menus are actually structured/laid out. That said while not great, after some hours I still managed to get used to it and play exclusively on a controller.

Freeman76

This post is just wrong.

The controls are a lot better than most of the other MMOs on console.

Try it out in a few hours and see for yourself, this person was probably drunk when they tried to play, because the controls are simple.

The menu can be a little cumbersome, but thats a UI issue and nothing to do with controls. You use A and B for menus, not rocket science.

Tomeru

Downloading now. Waited for this one, I hope I'll like it. It looks cool, and I've not seen a single loli in vids/pics so far 👍

Furball

This post is just wrong.

The controls are a lot better than most of the other MMOs on console.

Try it out in a few hours and see for yourself, this person was probably drunk when they tried to play, because the controls are simple.

The menu can be a little cumbersome, but thats a UI issue and nothing to do with controls. You use A and B for menus, not rocket science.

Drunk ? I am played this game ever since global release and compare the controller to FF 14 one , this one is so bad . You are the one that should not be listen to

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Series X/S Optimisations coming at a later date so it will be the Xbox One X version I thnk for now

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Mr.ODST

Stupid to assume it's got cross platform progression? I might bounce around pc and xbox
Yes it is BUT if you miss the link at the start of opening one platform you can never link your PC - Xbox account again, I forgot to do it now I have 2 "separate" accounts under one gamertag ¬_¬

cireza

Banned
So much port begging for PS4/5
Sf5jmMz.jpg

It's doing them good understanding that even they can miss out on games every once in a while. PSO2 is out in the West because Microsoft took the infrastructure in charge. They should beg Sony to do the same, rather than SEGA.

Game is installed, going to try it this evening. Probably going to make a new character !

Last edited:

Wonko_C

You can play the entire global version with Japanese text and menus, but you can't play the Japanese version with English text and menus. Typical Sega.

Could only see the menu because servers are in maintenance, but it was some flimmery ass shit. I assume this is the Xbox One version?

Dynasty8

Never played PSO2. Is this a good place to jump in (basically will I be overwhelmed and confused)?

Also, I know it's very MMO like, but what are the main activities/incentives? Other games have raids, dungeons, strikes, PvP, rare loot to chase, etc... It seems like the only thing to do right now is explore and fight world bosses? Just want to see if I should jump into this or try my 3rd attempt at the overwhelming FFXIV.

Wonko_C

Japanese server is still under maintenance, LOL.

EDIT: NVM it's IP blocked outside Japan.

Last edited:

blackjon24

Sf5jmMz.jpg

It's doing them good understanding that even they can miss out on games every once in a while. PSO2 is out in the West because Microsoft took the infrastructure in charge. They should beg Sony to do the same, rather than SEGA.

Game is installed, going to try it this evening. Probably going to make a new character !

lol Microsoft should do the same with dragon quest 10 if they want more port begging

McCheese

Servers are getting hammered, takes forever to transition between anything in game due to what I guess are server side saves/events.

Ceadeus

Is New Genesis 60fps on Series S for you guys?

My game is still being installed while playing on performance mode and it mostly feels like 45fps

I'm not yet. Just reading impressions and whatnot at work until I can get home and log in.

Most ppl are running everything max 60 fps taa on X and fxaa for s
yeah it's running at 60fps locked for me with all setting cranked.

Note though, this game is not pretty on Xbox currently even with all settings maxed.. A next gen optimization would do this game wonders.

Ceadeus

Im on Series X, the game isnt optimised for next gen, its definitely running a generic Xbox One S version of the game, performance is terrible so far
It's terrible indeed! How come PSO2 runs 4k60 on the One X, but NG looks like a dreamcast game and runs like this on the newer console?!

Top Bottom