• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 coming west for Xbox One, PC

Mista

Banned

Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming west for Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs in spring 2020, Sega announced at the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference.

The free-to-play massively multiplayer online RPG is currently available for PlayStation 4, Switch, PS Vita, and PC in Japan. The PlayStation 4, Switch, and PS Vita versions were not announced for a western release.

Here is an overview of the game, via Sega:
All stories and content, and especially the fan-favorite epic battles with their huge number of enemies, will be included in this free-to-play release. Stay tuned for more details!

“What is Phantasy Star Online 2?”

Join the Spectacular Experience of a “Never-ending Quest” and “The Highest Level Action”!

Players of Phantasy Star Online 2 become a member of a research expedition called “Arks,” which belong to a fleet of interplanetary cruising ships, setting out to a research a variety of different planets. Visiting places for the mission (quest) always evolves into a fresh and surprising adventure, including auto-generated maps, sudden events, and a Multiplayer Party Area, where up to 12 players can play together simultaneously.

Each planet and quest is an encounter with different characters and battles with enemies. Its easy control systems allow for intense exhilaration in battles as well as highly strategic and customizable actions.

Gigantic boss enemies are also waiting for their time to challenge you with their towering body that covers the whole screen. Team up with other players against epic bosses!

Create Your Own Character with the Ultimate “Character Creation”!

Phantasy Star Online 2 lets players create their own characters in an easy and intuitive way with the “Character Creation” system.

Not only costumes, hairstyles, accessories, but also the height, body shape, and moreover, the length and thickness of arms and legs, can be customized with a morphing feature for unlimited customization and design combination.

Free to Download and Play the Game!

The entire game will be made available as a free-to-play experience for players on Xbox One. There will be no limitations on game experiences such as Class Level cap or direct purchase of high-tier weapons because we want to provide all players with a fair and exciting experience.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that Xbox fans didn't care for Japanese games and yet this is coming to Xbox One before PS4 in the west?

Last edited:

McCheese

Too late, the game is now 7 years old, has like 4 difference currencies and players who are so far ahead you'll never catch up.

My heart skipped a beat when I heard the PSO theme tune, was really hoping for PSO remake or PSO3, already done with PSO2 on the Playstation since they got rid of the region lock a while ago.

Nutsogood

Neo Member
This is great news, I've always wanted to play this and thought it would never happen. Might get an Xbox after all. One of the best surprises of E3 so far for me.

Too late, the game is now 7 years old, has like 4 difference currencies and players who are so far ahead you'll never catch up.

My heart skipped a beat when I heard the PSO theme tune, was really hoping for PSO remake or PSO3, already done with PSO2 on the Playstation since they got rid of the region lock a while ago.

The western version will get it's own servers you don't actually play with ppl from Japanese servers.

Last edited:

Zephir

They surely took their unholy sweet time...they even let the english website expire for how they ignored it.

Even if it's finally coming, western PSO2 will always be remembered as the lowest point in SEGA relationship with his fanbase...years of "working on it, don't ask", a specific rule where game journalist couldn't ask about the game in interviews...it was awful and disrespectful...

On the bright side...well, it's finally here

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bet your attitude was different if it was Sony. You sound very bitter in your first post.
No, I'm surprised. Apparently I should be thanking Microsoft but what stopped them from making the same announcement in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018? I gave up waiting for this game to be localized years ago, only to see it come to a console platform that otherwise has no Japanese exclusives. Tales of Arise isn't an Xbox exclusive, so as far as I'm concerned nothing really changed with Xbox to make it seem more appealing than PlayStation.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This better be released in EU as well.... or im going to have to kill someone iv waited 7 years already dammit. This trailer managed to make a grown ass man cry here, PSO on Dreamcast was literally my young teen childhood.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
No, I'm surprised. Apparently I should be thanking Microsoft but what stopped them from making the same announcement in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018?

Shit lad, take it up with SEGA not Microsoft this isn't their game.

PerfectDark

Banned
Did PSO 2 chnage since 8 years ago on PC. I played it a bunch on PC 8 years ago and it was terrible. No rares all free to play crap. I loved just about every pso on console, and handheld up until pso2.

Zephir

HAHAHA...HAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG, THIS IS GLORIOUS!

Even when it looks like they're doing a good thing, they manage to ruin it with something asinine.

This is awesome, this is incredible, they just can't do it right, even after 7 years!

Hinedorf

Banned
FOR PC I'M SAVED!!!!!!! If this was X1 exclusive I might've had to get one but being on PC makes me so freaking excited!!!!!!

Hinedorf

Banned

How does it compare to the original PSO for those who were old school die hards?

Geki-D

Banned
Did PSO 2 chnage since 8 years ago on PC. I played it a bunch on PC 8 years ago and it was terrible. No rares all free to play crap. I loved just about every pso on console, and handheld up until pso2.
I played it a bit on PC too and being a big fan of the original PSO, I was a bit disappointed. The trailer confuses me when it says "epic boss battles" because from what I saw they were everything but. I was expecting bosses like in PSO, instead I got buffed up generic enemies...
Also I couldn't make a decent looking Hucast, rather than looking like cyborg ninja he either had to be all blocky or hyper anime BS.

How does it compare to the original PSO for those who were old school die hards?
It really isn't very similar from what I played.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

They surely took their unholy sweet time...they even let the english website expire for how they ignored it.

Even if it's finally coming, western PSO2 will always be remembered as the lowest point in SEGA relationship with his fanbase...years of "working on it, don't ask", a specific rule where game journalist couldn't ask about the game in interviews...it was awful and disrespectful...

On the bright side...well, it's finally here
You can thank Sega of Japan making an exclusive distribution deal with a Chinese company for that.

Like many here I was really excited to play this game ....7 years ago but, then I played the game and now I pity many people here.

RPGCrazied

I heard this game is out on everything in Japan, even on switch, but Microsoft got the deal to bring it over so it stays on Xbox/PC?

What a get. I might have to get gold just to play if I can't since its free to play.

IpsoFacto

Well, one of the most surprising announcment of the day. I still remember the first announcement for PC, which seems like forever now. But no EU / UK version for even the PC is... odd.

Xenon

This is going to be a long year. I wonder if Microsoft is putting a bill for a graphical update

Top Bottom