• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pfizer says it's time for a Covid vaccine booster; FDA and CDC waiting for more data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keihart

My point is that our right to keep our private medical information private is being eroded. Asking someone about a vaccine is no different than asking about other medical history. People are too ignorant to realize this.
Not really, they are not asking about any illness, we are talking about a specific infection that easily spreads and nobody would want to get. You are not spreading HIV or diabetes by working with someone, you are most likely guaranteed to spread the flu or a cold and taking precautions is in everyone interests.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a big mystery really. The death rate for COVID isn't 100%.
  1. Lots of people get it and have zero symptoms.
  2. Lots get it and have mild symptoms.
  3. Lots get it and have severe symptoms that lead to extended hospitalization, and lingering side effects that hang on for months. Study is just beginning on potential long term consequences of the virus. Loss of taste / smell is nerve damage near the brain, and doesn't quickly heal. Some viruses have lasting effects that aren't seen for years, like Chicken pox/Shingles. Early speculation is that it could be linked to increasing rates of alzheimers disease d/t the nerve damage.
  4. Lots get it and die. See India.
I'm sincerely glad you were in the 2nd group.

India’s death rate in proportion to their population is actually very very low. Not to discount those who died, but there are ab astronomical number of people in the country.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not really, they are not asking about any illness, we are talking about a specific infection that easily spreads and nobody would want to get. You are not spreading HIV or diabetes by working with someone, you are most likely guaranteed to spread the flu or a cold and taking precautions is in everyone interests.

The shot does not guarantee immunity or that you can’t spread the virus, so one has to ask what the point of checking vaccination status is? Exactly what level of risk is tolerable?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Not going to get one unless it’s proven antibodies decline significantly or there’s a new variant that is unaffected by current doses. I don’t trust anyone this early in the game.

Just a week ago there was a report saying the vaccine protection is looking like it’ll last years.

Perhaps not coincidentally just days later Pfizer says you need another. I wouldn’t put it past them to have seen that report and try to change the narrative for the $

That is exactly what happened.
I mean, that seems like a bit of a wild conspiracy theory to me. They're saying that they're submitting data to the CDC and FDA to review. Why lie about it when they can check the data literally next month?

Sounds like Pfizer just made a breach of etiquette in terms of their press statements, and started saying this stuff before it was approved.

I of course want the FDA and CDC to have the final say and review what Pfizer is claiming. But so far they've been proven to be pretty accurate in most of their statements on vaccine efficacy, etc. I mean, they put out the opposite of this statement not that long ago when they told everyone their vaccine was effective for 6 months. Seems around 8 months in they're seeing some declining effectiveness.

Almost all the people that this matters to are frontline workers who were in the first vaccine priority group, and they're going to want to know if they're protected when they're around COVID positive patients. If Pfizer is making wild claims without any evidence, then this conspiracy should be revealed in like 4 weeks when it gets reviewed.

Keihart

The shot does not guarantee immunity or that you can’t spread the virus, so one has to ask what the point of checking vaccination status is? Exactly what level of risk is tolerable?
Sure, i agree...too early to be going back to normal, masks and vaccine should be mandatory in any kind of public enclosed gathering.

ManaByte

I understand the theory.

I'm talking about the evidence portion that's going to be reviewed literally next month.

Yea but the CDC and FDA kind of shit on Pfizer in their statement saying they'll look at their data but won't rely on it exclusively. They suspect Pfizer is going to do anything they can to get boosters (and that nice fat government check to provide them for for free) so the statement was worded in such a way to kind of deflate Pfizer's fantasies of more money.

This process takes into account laboratory data, clinical trial data, and cohort data – which can include data from specific pharmaceutical companies, but does not rely on those data exclusively.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'll wait to see the data. I'll get it if the data is compelling, even though my second shot symptoms were pretty bad.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
The real danger is there will be a variant that evades vaccines.. happens when you let it circulate into a not fully immune society.
Can you give an example of a vaccine and disease that mutated and was rendered immune to previous vaccination efforts? Asking for a friend.

FYI I got two shots of Moderna and there were absolutely no side effect, in fact I was boxing both times the day after. On the other hand my wife got Pfizer and she was both time out of commission for 2 days afterwards, so maybe someone should look into it (similar types of vaccines, but I work with drug manufacturers and active ingredient is one thing, production process something completely different).

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Even recently some medical scientists have suggested the Pfizer vaccine might last many years if not for life. Pfizer heard that and they were like "Um that's not good, we won't be able to sell more vaccine, better say a third dose is necessary soon".

ManaByte

Even recently some medical scientists have suggested the Pfizer vaccine might last many years if not for life. Pfizer heard that and they were like "Um that's not good, we won't be able to sell more vaccine, better say a third dose is necessary soon".

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

In Canada it was near impossible to get the shots within the recomended timeline. It was about 6 weeks between my first and second Pfizer shot.

I figure we'd be one of the main prospects for booster shots.
Actually it’s the other way around, the longer delay has shown to improve immunity.

Can you give an example of a vaccine and disease that mutated and was rendered immune to previous vaccination efforts? Asking for a friend.
covid 19. Reduced efficacy though thankfully not fully lost. Still the exact same concept.

Last edited:
Not going to get one unless it’s proven antibodies decline significantly or there’s a new variant that is unaffected by current doses. I don’t trust anyone this early in the game.

Just a week ago there was a report saying the vaccine protection is looking like it’ll last years.

Perhaps not coincidentally just days later Pfizer says you need another. I wouldn’t put it past them to have seen that report and try to change the narrative for the $
They might pay for your neighbor to move back if you don't get that third jab. You gonna get JibJabbed again, Kain.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I just got my second Pfizer shot 2 hours ago. I don't want another shot! But if it's effective against Delta or any other strain, I'm down. I'd have to be. But too many stupid people have prolonged this whole pandemic.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have no doubt that there will be a MASSIVE push for booster shots come sept/oct in the US, and it will be based on nothing more than "well, we can't PROVE the vaccination protection lasts more than 12 months, so better get that booster!!". The narrative around this delta thing is just ludicrous. Every study I've seen shows natural immunity is as effective as vaccinated yet we never hear about it. No study I'm aware of has delta affecting vaccinated OR naturally immunized folks at more than a very low rate, the best they have is antibodies in naturally immunized people are less effective, but that totally discounts the T-cell immunity which is the main protection from natural immunity in the first place. Madness!!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Influenza strains all of the time. It's why there are annual tweaks attempting to address types A, B, and C. If everyone would get vaccinated every year we could wipe it out like we did Smallpox.

Alas.

All vaccines effectiveness went down with the delta variant … if Pfizer was 95% and went to around 67%? Sinovac was 50%, now must be around 20% 😂

I’m ok with a booster, is “free”

ManaByte

Influenza strains all of the time. It's why there are annual tweaks attempting to address types A, B, and C. If everyone would get vaccinated every year we could wipe it out like we did Smallpox.

Alas.

They're actually talking about a mRNA flu vaccine now that would eliminate the yearly shot.

Atrus

Gold Member
Actually it’s the other way around, the longer delay has shown to improve immunity.

covid 19. Reduced efficacy though thankfully not fully lost. Still the exact same concept.

In old people and even then the studies are dubious.

The CDC and the manufacturers recommend the 3-4 week window. The only reason we even have to deal with this nonsense is due to poor vaccine supply forcing all sorts of nonsense from delayed vaccines to mixing and matching vaccines.

Last edited:
As the pandemic wears on, some Americans could need Covid-19 booster shots - Vox

Turns out Pfizer was right, and the Biden administration is now acknowledging the data, and it's not even August yet when they present it to the FDA. They're seeing a minimum decline at 6 months from 95 to 84% effectiveness in preventing infection, and a decline in prevention of serious disease from 99% to 90%. Israel is already offering the booster.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As is your right. I'm constantly around it though, and I'm at the 7 mo. mark so I'd prefer to just get it.
Only reason I did it is because every coworker and fam member kept bugging me to do it. Nobody in my fam tree and kids gives a shit about annual flu bug shot, but this one was a big deal. So for sake of sanity, I did it.

Even my work sent out a memo asking people to (voluntarily) submit your covid shot info into a template to HR. Skipped that one.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Sounds like bullshit to me. unless it protects you against more variants i wouldn't bother.

Because at that point u can keep slamming those things down every 6 months until you die. no thanks.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
As the pandemic wears on, some Americans could need Covid-19 booster shots - Vox

Turns out Pfizer was right, and the Biden administration is now acknowledging the data, and it's not even August yet when they present it to the FDA. They're seeing a minimum decline at 6 months from 95 to 84% effectiveness in preventing infection, and a decline in prevention of serious disease from 99% to 90%. Israel is already offering the booster.

I’ll just lockdown until enough clinical trials are done on these shots. I am not even going to go into details about the shit that happened to me right after the second shot, but I am not playing Russian roulette anymore.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Sign me up. Inject the third jab in my dick if you must. I'd even take multiple jabs every year if it means we can go back to normal.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If we need a booster, then hopefully they'll start incorporating predictive variants like they try to do with the flu vaccine. Thing is that I may not be all that eager if it's more than once a year thing especially if it's like my second shot reaction where it completely incapacitated me for a day. Completely anecdotal, but someone on Reddit remarked about how they were in the trial for the booster from pfizer and they said their reaction was worse than the second dose.

Last edited:

vpance

It's good for maybe 6 months. And even then you can still catch it and pass it on. It's a treatment, not vaccine.

The virus will/has become endemic like the flu and mutate forever. And the pace of mutation and spread will be faster than they can make up new shots and distribute them, because they aren't perfect vaccines that can actually stop infection and spread. No amount of passports or boosters will stop it at this point.

It's good for maybe 6 months. And even then you can still catch it and pass it on. It's a treatment, not vaccine.

The virus will/has become endemic like the flu and mutate forever. And the pace of mutation and spread will be faster than they can make up new shots and distribute them, because they aren't perfect vaccines that can actually stop infection and spread. No amount of passports or boosters will stop it at this point.
It's pretty much the opposite actually. If everyone got the vaccine early, then less immunocompromised people would get it and less variants would develop. Eventually it would be limited to the point of eradication. The goal should've been to wipe it out completely, which was a real possibility.

But with vaccination rates as low as they are now, there will be huge groups of people that will allow for it to spread, and develop new variants. Eventually, in the future - it will be similar to the flu where our vaccinations only have about 45% effectiveness and have to be annually predictive. Then things will be substantially worse than they are now, all because people didn't want to vaccinate early and stop it where it is now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty much the opposite actually. If everyone got the vaccine early, then less immunocompromised people would get it and less variants would develop. Eventually it would be limited to the point of eradication. The goal should've been to wipe it out completely, which was a real possibility.

But with vaccination rates as low as they are now, there will be huge groups of people that will allow for it to spread, and develop new variants. Eventually, in the future - it will be similar to the flu where our vaccinations only have about 45% effectiveness and have to be annually predictive. Then things will be substantially worse than they are now, all because people didn't want to vaccinate early and stop it where it is now.

I think the US peaked at 3.5 million shots per day. Even if we kept up that rate, and assuming everyone needed two shots, it would take at least 189 days to vaccinate the entire population, or 145 days to vaccinate just the entire adult population, and then you add on a few weeks at the tail end there for the immunity to kick in.

If immunity is fading a few months in, then it's simply not feasible. Even China is maxing out around 16 ~ 18 million shots per day, but they have 4.4x the population of the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kev Kev

Jesus Christ dude just give it up. If you’re vaccinated then just worry about yourself and can it. I’m tired of people speaking down to everyone like they have authority that they don’t actually possess.

We’re in the personal responsibility phase now. If someone wants to get vaccinated, great! If they don’t want to, that’s on them! You don’t have to even worry about it. Just get your vaccine and move on w your life.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ dude just give it up. If you’re vaccinated then just worry about yourself and can it. I’m tired of people speaking down to everyone like they have authority that they don’t actually possess.

We’re in the personal responsibility phase now. If someone wants to get vaccinated, great! If they don’t want to, that’s on them! You don’t have to even worry about it. Just get your vaccine and move on w your life.

Oh, boy, have I got a doozy of an article for you.

Just look at this crock of shit.

All I stated is the reality. If you don't want to read it then bury your head in the sand and leave me alone.

I do worry about myself, which is why I am fine getting the vaccine. But several years from now, with poor vaccination rates, many more variants will continue to develop and then eventually escape vaccine effectiveness. Then my "personal responsibility" will be far less effective than it is now. That is 100% fact. But go ahead and laugh emoji this one as well since talking about reality triggers you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom