• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pfizer says it's time for a Covid vaccine booster; FDA and CDC waiting for more data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pfizer says it's time for a Covid vaccine booster; FDA and CDC say not so fast - CNN

"Drugmaker Pfizer said Thursday it is seeing waning immunity from its coronavirus vaccine and says it is picking up its efforts to develop a booster dose that will protect people from variants.

Pfizer said it would soon publish data about a third dose of vaccine and submit it to the US Food and Drug Administration, European Medicines Agency and other regulators. The company specified it would seek FDA emergency use authorization for a booster dose in August."

I was in one of the early groups vaccinated in December with Pfizer. Looks like it's possible they'll be rolling out a 3rd shot as soon as next month.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Don’t need a booster if you never get vaxxed in the first place.
GIF by Identity

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Once you pop, you can't stop.

They made billions of dollars, why would they stop at 2 doses?
Pfizer wanted another big payday.

The CDC and FDA saw through that and shot down their BS fast.
Yup. They are crossing their fingers to turn this into an annual flu shot.

I'm getting my second dose in a couple weeks. After that I'm done.

I only did it because everyone is pressuring everyone to do it.

My work as requested (at our option) to tell HR if you got a covid shot or not by submitting your info on a template. Fuck off HR. None of your business. Asking for medical information is grounds for suing too.

Last edited:

My work as requested (at our option) to tell HR if you got a covid shot or not by submitting your info on a template. Fuck off HR. None of your business. Asking for medical information is grounds for suing too.

It’s not against the law for them to ask, just like it’s not against the law for schools to request a child’s vaccination records or for your employer to request a doctor’s note for an absence.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

My job gave everyone a $300 bonus who got one

Atrus

Gold Member
In Canada it was near impossible to get the shots within the recomended timeline. It was about 6 weeks between my first and second Pfizer shot.

I figure we'd be one of the main prospects for booster shots.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Another difference between US and the rest of the world

More like tech/entertainment sector vs. everyone else.

My work also gave everyone over $1,000 to help get set up at home for long-term working from home.

Last edited by a moderator:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In Canada it was near impossible to get the shots within the recomended timeline. It was about 6 weeks between my first and second Pfizer shot.

I figure we'd be one of the main prospects for booster shots.
Not sure what the US is like, but in Canada unless someone was a front line worker or super old who got a shot earlier, I don't think the general public even got access to a first shot until around April.

I got mine in May and my next scheduled second shot is September, but then got moved up to later this month!?!? Weird. So at first, my second shot was 4 months out.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Not sure what the US is like, but in Canada unless someone was a front line worker or super old who got a shot earlier, I don't think the general public even got access to a first shot until around April.

I got mine in May and my next scheduled second shot is September, but then got moved up to later this month!?!? Weird. So at first, my second shot was 4 months out.
In the US anyone who wants the vaccine can get it without any problem, no waits, no issues anymore. It’s been that way sense around April/May

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It is not in many states, in fact your employer can compel you to get vaccinated. Not the case in Europe.

BouncyFrag

Or even monthly...
EXCLUSIVE: Can long Covid be cured by a monthly dose of the vaccine? A major British trial is about to find out - after many sufferers said they'd recovered following their jab

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Pfizer says it's time for a Covid vaccine booster; FDA and CDC say not so fast - CNN

"Drugmaker Pfizer said Thursday it is seeing waning immunity from its coronavirus vaccine and says it is picking up its efforts to develop a booster dose that will protect people from variants.

Pfizer said it would soon publish data about a third dose of vaccine and submit it to the US Food and Drug Administration, European Medicines Agency and other regulators. The company specified it would seek FDA emergency use authorization for a booster dose in August."

I was in one of the early groups vaccinated in December with Pfizer. Looks like it's possible they'll be rolling out a 3rd shot as soon as next month.

Do i have to wait for the "Vaccine of the year" edition with included variants dlcs?

sinnergy

The real danger is there will be a variant that evades vaccines.. happens when you let it circulate into a not fully immune society.

After our second shot of Pfizer in a couple of weeks .. we will not pump more of this stuff into our bodies ..

Time for change in living and behavior for our planet.

Last edited:

kingkaiser

I know that talks about science on this board tend to be on the level of reddit "degenerate" banter,
but has anyone here looked up what the actual half-life of neutralizing antibodies is?
A little hint, it's just 28 days and the Pfizer vaccine just generates half of immunogenic reaction
as the Moderna shot does, due to being way smaller in antigen dosage.

Kenpachii

I know that talks about science on this board tend to be on the level of reddit "degenerate" banter,
but has anyone here looked up what the actual half-life of neutralizing antibodies is?
A little hint, it's just 28 days and the Pfizer vaccine just generates half of immunogenic reaction
as the Moderna shot does, due to being way smaller in antigen dosage.

What does this mean is Pfizer worse then moderna? getting vaxed in a few days and i can choose between the two u mention.

Last edited:
Never early adopt.
nah, I'm grateful I had it when I did. I've had dozens of people with COVID coughing directly in my face for months at work. I'm at a public gym 4x a week. I eat out at least once weekly. And I plan on traveling and going to multiple concerts Sept, Oct, Nov without a mask.

A booster with some added Delta variant DLC sounds great to me (one of the hot spots is in the state directly next to us, so it's probably already here after July 4th gatherings). I already pretty much expected it wouldn't last much longer than 6 months. Flu shots don't last all year either.

Last edited:

StormCell

nah, I'm grateful I had it when I did. I've had dozens of people with COVID coughing directly in my face for months at work. I'm at a public gym 4x a week. I eat out at least once weekly. And I plan on traveling and going to multiple concerts Sept, Oct, Nov without a mask.

A booster with some added Delta variant DLC sounds great to me (one of the hot spots is in the state directly next to us, so it's probably already here after July 4th gatherings). I already pretty much expected it wouldn't last much longer than 6 months. Flu shots don't last all year either.

Strange. I do everything you seem to do, barely noticed my covid infection, quarantined when I needed to, and continue completely unaffected without side effects. My peers who got vaccinated have had it seemingly worse and actually take a day off to recover from the shot.

I have no problem with that, of course. I just find it interesting.

Strange. I do everything you seem to do, barely noticed my covid infection, quarantined when I needed to, and continue completely unaffected without side effects. My peers who got vaccinated have had it seemingly worse and actually take a day off to recover from the shot.

I have no problem with that, of course. I just find it interesting.
It's not a big mystery really. The death rate for COVID isn't 100%.
  1. Lots of people get it and have zero symptoms.
  2. Lots get it and have mild symptoms.
  3. Lots get it and have severe symptoms that lead to extended hospitalization, and lingering side effects that hang on for months. Study is just beginning on potential long term consequences of the virus. Loss of taste / smell is nerve damage near the brain, and doesn't quickly heal. Some viruses have lasting effects that aren't seen for years, like Chicken pox/Shingles. Early speculation is that it could be linked to increasing rates of alzheimers disease d/t the nerve damage.
  4. Lots get it and die. See India.
I'm sincerely glad you were in the 2nd group.

SantaC

Basically my work pressured me taking covid shot so i did it. I have coworkers who asks all the time, have you takn it etc.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Yeah just go look at the Pfizer stock price in 2019 and then look at it today, its insane.

Last edited:
This will have a lot less uptake. Socially just about everyone is done with this thing domestically. And I just don't see an equally big turn out. Each booster will see a linear decline as less and less percentage of uptakers I bet.

Polelock

The dickhead company I work for is trying to get people back to the office. One of their tricks is they have released a "Sweepstakes" to win a years salary. You have to prove you are vaccinated. I am, but I'm not telling them that and I'm not going back to a fucking office either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom