• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petition to make Sony support 1440p

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Many gamers around the world use monitors - especially 27" 1440p monitors, as it is the gold standard regarding pixels per inch.

Microsoft has supported the resolution for the past 4 years on their last gen. consoles (Xbox One S/X). and their next gen. consoles also support the resolution. There is absolutely no reasoning behind not supporting it.

We don't need to upgrade or buy new expensive hardware to be able to get a good experience. We only need an option to play with the setup we already have and get the fullest out of it.

The solution is a simple update to the operating system, which downscales the 4K signal to 1440p. Nothing more nothing less.

With this petition I hope we can let Sony know, that we're here - not just us who plays games on monitors, but gamers who want more choices and diversity in how we play games.

Support the petition and spread it to all the gaming forums and media outlets. Let's make PlayStation, be for the players.

Thank you.

-SIGN THE PETITION HERE-

Edit: New link to other petition with more followers

Edit: Just go to the comment section and "beg" for 1440p :messenger_grinning_smiling: Almost 1400 comments and 99% of them is about 1440p :messenger_heart:

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Banned
Those 1440p monitors only support that resolution over display port.

new consoles use HDMI

that's sinply not true... I have no Idea where you get that from wtf?

I literally have my One S hooked up to a 2 year old Monitor and it outputs 1440p without issue

@topic: I mean, I am all for this but I doubt that petition will get much traction.
it is a bit shit tho that it doesn't seem to support 1440p, it was already laughable that "1440p: The Console" aka the PS4 Pro didn't support 1440p...

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
̶A̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶1̶4̶4̶0̶p̶.Edit; nvm, I didn't see that benq removed their post.

Also, for the individual that shitposted, HDMI 2.0 supports 2560x1440p@144Hz, the new HDMI 2.1 supports 2560x1440p@300Hz, or the more useful 3840x2160p@144Hz.

You have to go allll the way back, before HDMI 1.4, before HDMI 1.3, way back to version 1.2 for 1440p to only be supported @ 30Hz.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
As already posted, it does support 1440p.

Also, for the individual that shitposted, HDMI 2.0 supports 2560x1440p@144Hz, the new HDMI 2.1 supports 2560x1440p@300Hz, or the more useful 3840x2160p@144Hz.

You have to go allll the way back, before HDMI 1.4, before HDMI 1.3, way back to version 1.2 for 1440p to only be supported @ 30Hz.
Wrong it does not
Many PC MONITORS do NOT support above 1080P ON HDMI PORTS. Even if the port can handle it.

supporting 1440p is pointless.
Either 1080p or 4k
people have 1080 or 4k monitors

asking for 1440p i like asking for 21:9 support.

i wish they did. But it makes NO sense

Last edited:
Wrong it does not
Many PC MONITORS do NOT support above 1080P ON HDMI PORTS .

Either 1080p or 4k

I'm only responding to you in hopes that others don't get the impression that you know what you're talking about.

1440p monitors are very common in the PC space. Many of them have Display Port and HDMI. I work in the tech industry and have access to considerable number of monitor hardware from various brands. 1440p @ 120hz over HDMI is broadly supported across many brands of existing monitors in that spec and will pair well with Xbox Series X and S.

Last edited:

Spukc

I'm only responding to you in hopes that others don't get the impression that you know what you're talking about.

1440p monitors are very common in the PC space. Many of them have Display Port and HDMI. I work in the tech industry and have access to considerable number of monitor hardware from various brands. 1440p @ 120hz over HDMI is broadly supported across many brands of existing monitors in that spec and will pair well with Xbox Series X and S.
I know what i am talking about my dell ultrasharp does not support this.
It does support 1440p over DVI tho

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Banned
̶A̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶1̶4̶4̶0̶p̶.Edit; nvm, I didn't see that benq removed their post.

1440p is basically the PC standard at the moment as it is the perfect resolution to performance balance for many games even on super high end GPUs.

and finding a 1440p PC monitor that was released within the last couple of years and that doesn't support 1440p through HDMi should be next to impossible.

1440p Monitos should be supported there is NO, ZERO, NADA excuse to not support it.
especially since they actually fucking support 1080i... WHO THE FUCK WILL USE 1080i??? that setting is only useful for super old TVs, like crazy Old TVs... 15+ year old TVs

and I bet my left liver that there are considerably more people out there that could use a 1440p option (*raises hand* 🖐️) than there are people that could use a fucking 1080i option!

Last edited:

FrankWza

They removed their statement. My friend who has the PS5 for review sent me the resolution options. 720p, 1080i (I shit u not), 1080p and 2160p.
I feel partly responsible for this. I still have hope it will be patched in and Benq spilled the beans before they were supposed to

Banned
I feel partly responsible for this. I still have hope it will be patched in and Benq spilled the beans before they were supposed to

they haven't even patched it into the PS4 Pro OS yet... I just think they don't care.
and the PS4 Pro is basically a 1440p machine. so when their 1440p console doesn't support 1440p, I wouldn't get my hopes up for their 4K console.

I could actually use a 1440p option for the Pro more than for the PS5 since the Pro will permanently be moved and hooked up to the 1440p monitor once the PS5 replaces it on the TV.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
there should be system level settings for people with different display sizes, a 4k 30fps game for example is the worst option for people who are on 1080p or 1440p. options are needed and sony/microsoft should implement them.

FrankWza

they haven't even patched it into the PS4 Pro OS yet... I just think they don't care.
and the PS4 Pro is basically a 1440p machine. so when their 1440p console doesn't support 1440p, I wouldn't get my hopes up for their 4K console

I mean, benq said it and removed and demons souls is native 1440p....

Banned
I mean, benq said it and removed and demons souls is native 1440p....

I hope that they have it planned or that more people will speak up about it so they are pressured into patching it in (FOR PS4 PRO TOO PLEASE!)

not having that option would be fucking ridiculous honestly, especially with the push for 1440p120fps by many games

Sony has a Console for that it called the PS4 Pro

the PS4 Pro doesn't support 1440p tho... which is laughable

Last edited:
I hope that they have it planned or that more people will speak up about it so they are pressured into patching it in (FOR PS4 PRO TOO PLEASE!)

not having that option would be fucking ridiculous honestly, especially with the push for 1440p120fps by many games

the PS4 Pro doesn't support 1440p tho... which is laughable
Really wtf so all those 1440p upscale to 4k with checkerboarding technique was a lie?

Banned
Really wtf so all those 1440p upscale to 4k with checkerboarding technique was a lie?

so... first of all you don't scale 1440p to 4K via checkerboarding, that's not how checkerboarding works... But I'm not gonna explain checkerboarding now xD

secondly,
many, if not most, PS4 Pro games do run at 1440p or close to it, but the console can not output a 1440p signal. you are locked to either 1080p or 4K.
meaning if the game runs at 1440p and you are hooked up to a 1440p Monitor, you will actually get a 1080p image which is then scaled back up to 1440p again by the monitor, which will look considerably worse than if it actually had a damn 1440p option.
you'll get scaling artifacts and a generally blurrier image.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

It's about 1440p being enabled at the system level, so the UI etc is rendered at that resolution.

With what you're talking about the final output image is 4k. People with 1440p displays will prefer a native 1440p output if possible.

FrankWza

Yeah, but the benq comment was for PS5. It will happen. They probably were not allowed to say. Their site now says
"refer to official Sony announcements and publications for PS5 information."

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Yeah, but the benq comment was for PS5. It will happen. They probably were not allowed to say. Their site now says
"refer to official Sony announcements and publications for PS5 information."
I really hope so. But looking in the rearview mirror, how they never implemented it on PS4 Pro, my hopes are very low.

PhoenixTank

I know what i am talking about my dell ultrasharp does not support this.
It does support 1440p over DVI tho
Ah Dell. Quick google search pulls up a result from 2010 and apparently a workaround to force it via graphics card (no good for a console).
Disappointingly, also still seems to be a problem as of this year. Doesn't seem to be a HDMI version issue, so fuck Dell for that - might as well not include HDMI at all if it is gimped.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Those 1440p monitors only support that resolution over display port.

new consoles use HDMI
Some hdmi ports do some don’t
Wrong it does not
Many PC MONITORS do NOT support above 1080P ON HDMI PORTS. Even if the port can handle it.

Either 1080p or 4k

asking for 1440p i like asking for 21:9 support.

i wish they did. But it makes NO sense
You see where you went wrong, right?
Right at the start where you shitposted factually incorrect information.
Now you are moving goalposts trying to save face.

Here's a bone; Yes, many shit/old monitors that can do 1440p can only do it over display port, or even older DVI-D.

Basically every single 1440p monitor you can buy brand new right now is 1440p capable over HDMI.

Ar¢tos

Support as in, making 1440p a target rendering resolution for devs or a resolution to supersample to from 4k, so no extra dev work is needed?

Spukc

You see where you went wrong, right?
Right at the start where you shitposted factually incorrect information.
Now you are moving goalposts trying to save face.

Here's a bone; Yes, many shit/old monitors that can do 1440p can only do it over display port, or even older DVI-D.

Basically every single 1440p monitor you can buy brand new right now is 1440p capable over HDMI.
A brand new 4k monitor right now is like 250 bucks. Why the hell would you get a new 1440p monitor?

this so called petition is to get people with older monitors on board. And many of those old monitors dont support 1440p over hdmi.
If they had any cash they wouldn’t be using brand new 1440p monitors now would they?

Top Bottom