• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Parker's new face doesn't look good in SM Remastered (Ending spoilers)

Fbh

Yeah terrible. Also why does he look less "good/detailed" in the remaster?

More than anything though, I have no idea why they made him look so young. After 2 origin story movie franchises and a third one with him in highschool there's finally this high budget Spiderman project with a somewhat older and more experienced Peter... and now he looks like he is 15 and needs to be home before 11 on a week day or aunt May will ground him,

Last edited:

Trilobit

Instead of Hollandifying PP this is what would have been much better:

skuplbytpnw51.jpg

GreyHorace

New Peter looks awful. He can't emote as well as the previous model. And the original Peter really nailed the emotion in some of the game's heavier scenes.

Insomiac's take on Spider-Man is probably my favorite take on the character next to the comics. And it was largely due to their portrayal of Peter Parker. Now they had to go ruin it with this.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
The crazy part is that they recasted him, for ‘a better performance, and match to the voice actor’.

So if we have neither the better performance, nor the better looking Spider-Man?

...What exactly was the point of this?

I really think this was a Disney/Marvel decision. I don't think they foresaw the 1st Spider-Man being as successful as it was. Sure they were expecting it to be successful , but not the standout success that it was.

So I truly believe Disney saw the dollar signs and they swooped in like a buzzard and told Insomniac to change the model to be more like Tom Holland. To give Spider-Man a more "marketable" face to the masses.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't care about capeshit at all, yet I am a huge fan of this game, it's excellent. One of the things that made it excellent was the way they made the PP character, he's a bit older and more experienced, and the game uses that well. So to stick him with this 19 year old baby face just... doesn't work. It doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if they change it again for SM2 actually. I keep bringing this up but not only does he look too young for the story of the game (where he has this long history with the villains, etc.), he looks younger than Miles Morales, Mary Jane, and Black Cat. It just looks ridiculous.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I saw this on Youtube. It feels odd seeing the cutscenes like this because you are so used to the old face. I think the voice fits the old one better. The graphics look much better in the remaster.

Remastered

Original

New face looks so much better here. This is one of the scenes where the original actually looks very awkward.

GreyHorace

I really think this was a Disney/Marvel decision. I don't think they foresaw the 1st Spider-Man being as successful as it was. Sure they were expecting it to be successful , but not the standout success that it was.

So I truly believe Disney saw the dollar signs and they swooped in like a buzzard and told Insomniac to change the model to be more like Tom Holland. To give Spider-Man a more "marketable" face to the masses.

If that's the case Insomniac should have stood their ground. They made some gutsy artistic choices for the game (such as killing Aunt May) that they had to fight for. Why couldn't they have fought for this one?

Last edited:

Traxtech

Insert comment about how he looks so young here.

Dumbest argument ever made, my god. Have you ever seen someone look much younger than they are?

I'm glad bug eye Peter is gone.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I don't think that is true. They just made a creative decision to change the actor for some reason. They should have waited for SM2 in my opinion. This feels like the Tomb Raider Remastered.

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
If that's the case Insomniac should have stood their ground. They made some gutsy artistic choices for the game (such as killing Aunt May) that they had to fight for. Why couldn't they have fought for this one?

Stand their ground against one of the largest multi-billion dollar corporations in the industry? Nah... we have seen time and time again that creatives are crushed under corporate power. They don't have "ultimate" creative control to do and make whatever they want. Those days are long gone.

It's clear to see. Why else would the new actor be a doppelganger of Disney's face of Spider-Man? You would have to be blind to not see that. I'm not calling you out... that's in reference to the masses, who Disney wants to market to with this new doppelganger face of Spider-Man.

Hugare

Imagine being so gullible that you believe that they made this change because "of the face structure of the voice actor"

Thats clearly bulshit. Otherwise they wouldnt have made the original game with that model in the first place.

They changed because some guy/guys in suits probably said "well, we would sell even more games if it had the face of Tom Holland, you know?"

They spent 5 years developinf the firstg ame, and only now they are like "yeah, it doesnt work quite well with the voice actor"

So they found this Tom Holland lookalike and invented this bulshit excuse

And I saw some people saying "but why would they lie to us??"

Yeah, I imagine that telling us "we changed it for this actor that everyone is hating because some suit ordered us to do so" would be such nice PR for them

assurdum

Banned
I haven't anything against this actor but why opt to him? In my opinion is face lack totally of the "innocent" expression of the original actor, and he barely express any kinda of empathy except when smile, which unlucky for him, seems more to mock you.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
This looks like bad photoshop, hope it doesn't affect the sequel but it's no big deal when 95% of the game you play with the mask on

b90e4a9dc456956b81a3de81d139d6e8.png

Dibils2k

i just dont get it nor do i accept it as a "good" change

him being young doesnt make sense in the story and he also looks like tom holland but not him, which makes it worse :messenger_grinning_squinting:

and i thought the whole point of the new face was so they can convey more emotions? from these examples they "new" one looks worse and as if he "old" one was he new version

StormCell

Tom Holland's Peter Parker isn't even good.

Why attempt to replicate that?

Just stick with the PS4 Parker. He was good enough. Peter Parker is supposed to be a bit awkward anyway.

BlackGauna

Not really. They needed to mo-cap new PP scenes for MM. People underestimate what goes into mo-cap. There's a lot of manual work that goes into it once the motion is captured, to ensure that the in-game model's movements sync up properly with the capture, otherwise the results are janky. If you're capturing new scenes, and you discovered during the dev process of the original game that a lot more work was needed than necessary, due to the differences between the game model and the actor, you will change the PP model for MM. What would fan reactions be if they only changed the PP model for MM, but left the old one for the original game? How disjointed of a transition from remaster to MM would that be?

So, the logical thing then would be to change the model in the remaster, and you'd end up having fewer manual edits to make to the capture that's already in the database. This allows better continuity for gamers going from Remaster to MM to Spidey2. It's easy to blow real work off as excuses when you have no idea of what went into the production of the game. But understanding how mo-cap works, and how much has to be done after the actors are captured, you can better understand how this provides efficiencies in development workflow. Efficiencies that pay off for as long as they keep the same PP actor. It also allows them to create a Remaster that is consistent with this more efficient workflow, because you're not changing the in-game model between games. The only change here is going from the original release to the Remaster, but in that regard, it's not different than rebooting a film franchise with a new actor. No one cared that we went from Tobi Maguire to Andrew Garfield to Tom Holland. The Holland movies are beloved because he's been the best fit for the role, and we could care less that he looks different from the other people who played the character. I don't understand why this should matter for the games at all.

They should have realized those difficulties during the development of the first game and adjusted the model in the original game.

To change it afterwards and saying "oh it is so difficult to map the performance on the model" is just a poor excuse. Just keep the old model and do optimizations behind the scenes.

They spend years developing the first game and the problem didn't dawn on them then? Then it apparently isn't that big of a problem.

VulcanRaven

Another comparsion. I think the new face lacks emotion in this scene too:

Yuri Lowenthal's voice fits the old model better.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Yeah, the new face sucks. The face in PS4 fits a Spiderman who's been Spiderman for a while. The new one looks even younger than Miles. At least we get some nice reflections to compensate for a worse face.

Fbh

Insert comment about how he looks so young here.

Dumbest argument ever made, my god. Have you ever seen someone look much younger than they are?

Yes?... and they look awkward.
Since Peter Parker isn't a real person and they can cast anyone they want and model the character anyway they want it makes no sense to make him look this young.

Now the scenes with MJ are awkward because it comes across as an adult woman who had a romantic relationship with a teen boy, his scenes with the Doc are awkward because it comes across as this dude that has a highschool student as an assistant and his scenes with Miles are awkward because Peter is supposed to have a sort of mentor/older borther dynamic with him, but now they look about the same age.

Holy shit it's like she's a 28 year old woman on a date with a 14 yo kid wtf
giphy.gif

---------------

Not the biggest fan of the change, but I don't exactly hate it either. Though, I agree with those here that say the original is better. Not sure why they even felt the need to change, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

docbot

Banned
this was done because of contract problems, why else would they do that. contracts for spider-man 2 have to be signed by now, maybe bubniak was hardballing to much in the negotiations and they just decided that it's not worth it.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Yeah, I prefer the old Peter. He looked aged and like he had been through the pains of being Spider-Man. This new dude looks like a 15 year old kid.

VulcanRaven

this was done because of contract problems, why else would they do that. contracts for spider-man 2 have to be signed by now, maybe bubniak was hardballing to much in the negotiations and they just decided that it's not worth it.
That could actually be the case. They should make contracts for the possible sequels before the first game.

oagboghi2

They should have realized those difficulties during the development of the first game and adjusted the model in the original game.

To change it afterwards and saying "oh it is so difficult to map the performance on the model" is just a poor excuse. Just keep the old model and do optimizations behind the scenes.

They spend years developing the first game and the problem didn't dawn on them then? Then it apparently isn't that big of a problem.
😂
It's almost like human beings without the ability to see into the future worked on Spiderman PS4

Top Bottom