• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PETA Wants Far Cry 6 to Remove Its Cockfighting Mini-Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Far Cry 6 allows players to participate in a cockfighting mini-game, in which they not only collect roosters but directly control them in a Mortal Kombat style fighting game complete with a character select screen, special moves, and multiple rounds. Reactions to mode have been mixed, with some players having fun with its simplicity while others find it to be rather tone-deaf in today’s animal rights-centric climate. On October 7th, the Senior Manager of PETA’s Latino branch, Alicia Aguayo, released a statement calling on Ubisoft to remove cockfighting from the game.

“Turning a horrific blood sport like cockfighting into a Mortal Kombat–style video game match is a far cry from real innovation, as today’s society is strongly opposed to forcing animals to fight to the death. Roosters used in cockfights are fitted with sharp spurs that tear through flesh and bone, causing agonizing and fatal injuries. PETA Latino urges Ubisoft to replace this reprehensible minigame with one that doesn’t glorify cruelty.”

Interestingly, cockfighting is still considered legal in Cuba, which Far Cry 6’s Yara is inspired by, and is quite popular in the country. The cockfighting depicted in Far Cry 6 is certainly violent, and the roosters lose feathers as the fights go on, although there is no blood shown, nor do any die in the process. The gaming community seems split on the appropriateness of the inclusion of cockfighting. Some find it harmless as no real animals are being injured, while others are concerned over the implications of featuring animal cruelty in such a nonchalant manner in-game.

People seem to be posting about this but haven't seen the minigame itself, so here you go.

Its essentially Tekkan light with chickens.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
chicken fail GIF

boomcrab

I know most of you probably dont really care about it but I actually thought it shouldn't have existed in the first place the moment i saw it. I know we kill animals in games and whatnot but cockfighting is a very real and disgusting thing. I already know the responses I'm going to get but the way people dismiss it bothers me. I'll admit I'm biased I grew up around my grandfather and the hundreds of birds he took care of in several aviaries. I live in AZ like literally the next street over from me lives hundreds of chickens and roosters and everyone drives carefully around them and let's them exist peacefully. It's a beautiful thing lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well played by UBI.

Got the attention of PETA, which just spreads the word about FC6. If it was dog fighting, people might be up and arms, but I dont think the typical human being on earth cares about chickens.

“Turning a horrific blood sport like cockfighting into a Mortal Kombat–style video game match is a far cry from real innovation, as today’s society is strongly opposed to forcing animals to fight to the death. Roosters used in cockfights are fitted with sharp spurs that tear through flesh and bone, causing agonizing and fatal injuries. PETA Latino urges Ubisoft to replace this reprehensible minigame with one that doesn’t glorify cruelty.”
Now that I think of it, I think UBI and PETA worked together to co-market the game and organizations.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Think all of us can agree animal cruelty is a no no IN THE REAL FUCKING WORLD, videogames, well it's a fucking videogame as for PETA well i think we all can agree, they're a bunch o self righteous cult like hypocritical blue haired cunts

Life

OK next: find any mediums that portray humans actually EATING chicken...or cocks, in this case. Proceed to call for a ban.

Duchess

Yeesh, this organisation.

There's nothing wrong with seeking the ethical treatment of animals, whether that be pets or farm cattle.

But this lot takes things to the extreme. They even harassed Games Workshops (Warhammer) over the fact that some of their miniatures wear fur.

Skifi28

If it's about digital animals having rights, it's a joke. If it's about people emulating the violence they see in games, they're saying they're totally ok with violence against humans which they ignore. It's a joke any way you look at it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm okay with this, glorifying animal cruelty in any form of medium is disgusting.

Are they glorifying it though? I haven't played it. If they are then I could understand its removal. On one hand terrible things are going on in the world and we shouldn't ignore that. Exposure can bring attention after all. On the other, do we really need to simulate terrible things like cock and dog fighting?

Little Chicken

Gold Member
Are they glorifying it though? I haven't played it. If they are then I could understand its removal. On one hand terrible things are going on in the world and we shouldn't ignore that. Exposure can bring attention after all. On the other, do we really need to simulate terrible things like cock and dog fighting?
I haven't played it either, but I'm assuming that you place bets and win money for participating.

I get why things like this are represented in games, but it's a video game, they could stand to be a little more creative than Cockfighting in a game where you run around with a mortar backpack.

Anyway I didn't mean to sound like a killjoy, I just like animals.

Top Bottom