• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Strikers Review Thread

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'm surprised no one made a topic about it or is talking about it and more surprised the reviews are out for a game that comes in 2 fucking weeks which is ridiculous. Anyway here are the links and whatnot:

TcKhaLw.png

Besides PCGamer and 2 others it seems the game is pretty good based on the critics opinion if you care much about it. My only concern is if it's going to be on rails boringly easy or if theres going to be some challenge.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take PCGamer opinions very seriously. They are Polygon tier publication.

Biggest problem here is switch version or ps4 version :D

ethomaz

Banned
It’s not that much worse than picking a move from a list is it. If anything it’s more engaging.
Well at least setup and choosing the moves is more interesting.
It just not my type of game.

I find JRPG action games very boring in gameplay... never could finish a Tales after become 3D for that reason.

They are milking Persona and that is fine... I hope they have success with that.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hack’n’slash in a Persona game?
That is the reason nobody talked about it.
Not interested.
They are integrating some mechanics from P5, like the batton pass and the typical SMT weakness exploitation. I dunno, haven't looked much into it tbh but I think it might be cool, or at least far more developed than you average musou game.

Last edited:
Reading the reviews, it seems to lack the hang out /romance mechanics 5 has and to me that was one of the games charms. I usually dislike turn based games but 5 had something about it for me to keep on playing.

I’ll probably pick this up later on.

Fbh

Seems better than I expected. Might pick it up on sale....or just wait a year to see if they announce a vastly improved "Persona Strikers: Royal" or something.

I wouldn't take PCGamer opinions very seriously. They are Polygon tier publication.

Biggest problem here is switch version or ps4 version :D

As with almost every third party game.
Ps4/PC unless you really want that portability

MagnesG

Banned
Like I said, if you can't manage to play/finish Persona 5 for whatever reason just watch the the P5 anime and buy this game. I rank it on par with Age of Calamity based on the JP demo.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Are you referring to YS9 ? Why do you think so when the ports are obviously later than PS4 version?

There has to be an excuse for the graphics still being dumbed down to PS3 levels almost. I mean, the aesthetics are pleasing, but this is a really late PS4 game and they could have done much more and still be able to hit 60fps. So yeah, I blame Switch..... I should have prob just bought this game for Switch rather than PS4, lol

Last edited:

Hudo

There has to be an excuse for the graphics still being dumbed down to PS3 levels almost. I mean, the aesthetics are pleasing, but this is a really late PS4 game and they could have done much more and still be able to hit 60fps. So yeah, I blame Switch..... I should have prob just bought this game for Switch rather than PS4, lol
The excuse is that Falcom are using an iteration of Sony's Phyre Engine, which has been designed and built during the PS3 era. Has nothing to do with the Switch that Falcom's games look how they look. It has to do with their manpower, their budget and, as mentioned before, with the engine.

Now, they've said that they are working on a new engine and they've shown a teaser of what it can do at the end of Hajimari No Kiseki but you won't suddenly get UE5-levels of graphical quality. I think the new engine is just the current version of Phyre Engine with vastly better tooling so they can include stuff like better animations (motion captured) and more sophisticated scripting.

MagnesG

Banned
They've always been like that, it make sense with how small the production team are, and their budgets overall. Even their latest flagship Kiseki games still looks like in the PS3 era.

Also Switch ports are not developed internally, with licensing being permissioned later. So there's no way Switch is to blame.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I still do not understand why this is on Switch when Persona 5 is not. Maybe we will get some hidden Persona drop tomorrow during Nintendo Direct?

Aurelius

Almost done with my playthrough of Persona 5 Royal (I already played Persona 5 Vanilla when it came out). This looks really really good.

LordCBH

My initial PC impressions are that this game is a buggy, almost unplayable mess on PC. Constant crashes in cutscenes and gameplay. Had 4 crashes before I got to the point where the game first lets you save.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
My initial PC impressions are that this game is a buggy, almost unplayable mess on PC. Constant crashes in cutscenes and gameplay. Had 4 crashes before I got to the point where the game first lets you save.
Oh god I was dreading this. PC is the only way I can play this. Maybe I should buy a Switch

LordCBH

Oh god I was dreading this. PC is the only way I can play this. Maybe I should buy a Switch

Some people on steam discussions sying putting the game in windowed mode fixes the crashing. Just a shame cause all the other PC ports Sega put out recently seem to be really good from my experience (P4G, Yakuza 7, Yakuza remasters).

edit: playing in windowed mode solved my crashing problems. Now my biggest problem is Makoto is STILL a completely insufferable character.

Last edited:
I just tried it out yesterday and if you don't have a controller, the mouse and KB key mapping is awful. Not much bugs for me yet, but there were couple scenes ingame where the animation was slowed to 80%

lachesis

Just finished my 2nd run on the Merciless mode today - on PS5.
My first DW type experience, even though I don't really think this is one. It's more of Persona5 with different style of battle than anything else.

Total hour spent - 154 hours. Ran thru the 1st run on normal + English voice acting, and 2nd run was on merciless + Japanese voice acting.
My play style is exceptionally slow, compared to others - I tend to buy everything, collect everything and do all the side quests. I heard normal playthru time is about 20-30 hours... but not sure how people do that. lol...

I was able to get the platinum trophy around the time I got to the Sapporo stage on my 2nd run - little bit over 120 hours or so.
The biggest challenge being the "bond" skill maxing to 99 for the trophy, which isn't really feasible on normal play thru. However after getting it done, I just decided
I had protagonist level up to 99 on my 1st run thru - as I tend to op my characters at all times... but rest of the party members were around 90-95 ish.

In the end, I ended up defeating the Reaper on merciless mode. It wasn't much of an issue as I had plenty of SP recoveries, and maxed out everyone's stats to max. (999 HP, 999 SP, all stats to 99) - only took like 10 minutes to do so. This game is all about having more SP, or preserving it. Physical attacks are not really that useful nor effective - it's better to use your persona (stops time and lets you choose your skills) & defeat them / all-in-attack to quickly get done with each encounter. In that sense, it felt very much like non-action game, which is not a bad news for me, as I suck at action games.

But at the same time, the battle flow itself became rather gimped/unbalanced due to the protagonist's own wild card ability to possess so many different personas. Once you reach certain amount of SP or customized good amount of personas to your needs - it's rarely needed to change the character in the 2nd run thru. Basically I wiped most enemies, even semi-bosses with Alice's "Die for me!" skill - all the way to the end game. Wish the game would somehow enforced using other characters in more meaningful way.

GFX. On PS5 - I hear it's 4K (looks like 4K) with solid 60fps - but the aliasing is quite noticeable. Even simple anti-aliasing on Haru's skirt lines would have been nice. Some character models look rather strange - especially the legs for male characters being so thin and skinny, it looks rather strange in some scenes where they are sitting or whatnot. Loading was about 3-5 seconds going in and out of dungeons/velvet room - and you do that a lot - so I kinda feel bad for the Switch owners for that... although it would have been more convenient to "grind" as Switch can be portable.

Story wise, I guess it is somewhat predictable... more so than the original. I would give 7 out of 10 for the story. At least it was pleasantly written, and still shows that ambiguity in between good vs evil like Maruki arc in Royal. The charm of each characters are still well presented - After all, it's about summer road trip with friends - and I think it achieved that theme very well. Glad that Haru got some more of earlier exposure, and I really liked new characters - Zenkichi & Sophie. Actually I liked them more than the new characters added for Royal (Kasumi) or P4 Golden (Marie) - since their stories are basically over-reaching the entire story arc, not confined with one extended arc.

English Zenkichi also made me chuckle several times - and the Japanese dialogue between Sophie and Ichinose also was quite moving, that I teared up a bit - although I didn't feel that emotional like that when I was playing in English mode in same scene. Actually English VA is really good in this one in my opinion, just like the original P5/P5R. Translation was done quite well, but It was also interesting to note the differences in VA though - most of them were dead on to one another - but I preferred English actors in most cases except English Makoto who rather sound a bit old lady like.. and in the end, Sophia. In Sophia's case - English one is more feminine & cuter/high-pitch that actually matches what she looks like - but JP one feels much more direct & machine like in a way - that fits her identity better. It took me a while to warm up, but the later scenes really made up for Japanese Sophie voice. Both of new characters awakening scenes were the best part of the story too. While it's cliche'd but it was well executed.

But how they all speak out in the boss battles and all with bunch of info-bombing - I felt like it's little too much for me - as the battle themselves are visual chaos all over the screen - listening to them during battles while I'm trying to focus on battle itself was rather confusing. It's like every Japanese anime where you hear the whole life's story during a battle... and got little tiresome in the end.

Most of side characters don't really make appearances except Sae and Sojiro - would have loved to see others, at least a bit though. Some are mentioned (Tae, Iwai) - but most are not even mentioned either.... I didn't even see Igor in this game... wonder what happened to him? Would have loved to see what happened to them, or etc.

Anyhow, I do think this was a worthy followup. Glad that I played, and hope I can see this group of characters in future somehow. It was good seeing that they were going strong in their own path and grew stronger from the whole ordeal... even though I am more interested what Persona 6 will be like, which I am pretty certain will have all new characters. Even so - I would love to see more references on previous games characters. Say, protagonist (Ren) could be a chef/cafe owner in the new game, or maybe be able to visit Amagi Ryokan, or return of Naoto Shirogane in certain sections or whatnot.

This year being 25th anniversary, I know they are announcing bunch of stuff, including one in September. Very much looking forward (with reserved expectation though...) for what the future holds. :)

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
This….is an extremely detailed thread bump!

I haven’t purchased the game yet, the videos I have seen look fantastic (still retained that Persona flair in the menus and UI based off what I have seen).

Thanks for the detailed thoughts on the game!

Been playing this the last few days and I’m completely whelmed. The story is not clicking with me at all. The lack of a time limit really hurts the flow for me. I straight up hated the characters initially in P5 but, over time accepted and even liked some of them. Everything here moves so fast and feels off somehow.

The jails are super generic, with recycled objectives so far. I don’t much care for them switching the control scheme either.
On a positive note, 60 FPS is nice, as is the new music. I enjoy being able to switch characters so easily. I like the fact that the monsters are huge here too. Overall like a 6/10 or 7 so far.

lachesis

Eh it's alright. Much preferred Persona 5 over Strikers

Been playing this the last few days and I’m completely whelmed. The story is not clicking with me at all. The lack of a time limit really hurts the flow for me. I straight up hated the characters initially in P5 but, over time accepted and even liked some of them. Everything here moves so fast and feels off somehow.

The jails are super generic, with recycled objectives so far. I don’t much care for them switching the control scheme either.
On a positive note, 60 FPS is nice, as is the new music. I enjoy being able to switch characters so easily. I like the fact that the monsters are huge here too. Overall like a 6/10 or 7 so far.

Sequels with existing characters are somewhat hard to pull off as their characters are already developed... so of course. :) I do prefer actual Persona than any spin offs too!

I honestly wasn't expecting much from this game, and completely went in blind with very little and somewhat cautious expectation - but honestly came out pleasantly surprised that it had a lot more going than I expected and appreciated what the devs did with given material - and given faults of the game itself, it felt like a nice fan service. I liked a lot of characters in P5, so that was more of the driving force for me for this game.

It is pretty chaotic though - too chaotic for my liking... not just battles, but also level designs too. It really bothered me in the beginning, especially in Shibuya area where everything is so neon bright and sometimes difficult to even figure out where to latch onto. Also, wish I had a way to quick travel from anywhere - at least with some item like GohomeX or whatnot. Didn't like back tracking to the save points to return wasn't exactly thrilling experience.

Story also kinda lagged or felt repetitive too - all the way till Okinawa and it became more enjoyable from that point for me. Kinda wish that they'd cut Sendai and Sapporo a bit shorter.

Bragr

Banned
What exactly is this compared to Persona 5? does it follow the same story? the same characters? how is the battle system? I have such a hard time getting a read on what this game is.

Top Bottom