• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Royal to Include All 40 DLC for Xbox and Windows Releases

Three

Because it's not the same situation. Persona 5 was a cross gen game from the start and persona 5: Royal isn't the same game. It is a very expanded edition that adds an enormous amount of content to the game. Persona 5 Royal will now also be available on platforms where it wasn't available before, which is different from GTA V.

Meanwhile GTA 5 is exactly the same game released with no additional content added with each version. Nobody would complain about another rerelease of GTA V if it added as much content as P5 royal did.
Uh... GTA5 has had a ton of content added to it too (the online component especially). More than 10x that of Persona 5 Royal edition. Regardless Persona 5 is still a 6 year old game from the PS3 gen. Nothing wrong with that but it is strange people complain specifically about other PS3 gen games being released or being remade in this gen but excited by a 2016 PS3 game with far fewer upgrades/changes. Fine by me though, the more people that can play this and not complain about 'PS3 games' the better.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It’s all stuff that should be included in the game as unlockable, likely pulled out so it could be charged for, it’s fluff and adds next to nothing.

Whether or not you agree with me is irrelevant.
good job avoiding my question.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Uh... GTA5 has had a ton of content added to it too (the online component especially). More than 10x that of Persona 5 Royal edition. Regardless Persona 5 is still a 6 year old game from the PS3 gen. Nothing wrong with that but it is strange people complain specifically about other PS3 gen games being releasing or being remade in this gen but excited by a 2016 PS3 game with far fewer upgrades/changes. Fine by me though, the more people that can play this and not complain about 'PS3 games' the better.

I think it's a lot lesser of an issue here because Persona games are so few and far between anyway, and it takes 7, 8 years between releases, so its less of an issue.

cireza

Banned
You have to replay the game with all possible combinations of these DLCs activated.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You have to replay the game with all possible combinations of these DLCs activated.

I wonder if anyones ever done a run of these games where they play only the in game calendar day in real life only, would make for a pretty long and surreal run I reckon :D

nocsi

Atlus just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Persona 5 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Atlus’ games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Atlus has alienated an entire market with this move.

Atlus, publicly apologize and cancel free DLC for Xbox or you can kiss your business goodbye.

killatopak

Gold Member
I really recommend not using the DLC Personas. They're pretty much broken. Every single one of them. What's more they're free to use on the very first buy in the compendium.

Paltheos

Neat, but DLC personas bust the game wide open. In particular, I remember getting Kaguya, who's available at just level 16, and nuking the field whenever I felt so inclined with Shining Arrows.

Kuranghi

Oh man, I don't know if I should open my Persona 5 Essential Edition 4xLP vinyl set and listen to it or just sell it. My friend just bought two so he can sell one and enjoy one because he's not a wally like me. I'm still annoyed its not the 6xLP version lol.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hopefully the PS5 version includes this as well. Hopefully they also give players a warning about DLC persona being so overpowered.

Rykan

Uh... GTA5 has had a ton of content added to it too (the online component especially). More than 10x that of Persona 5 Royal edition. Regardless Persona 5 is still a 6 year old game from the PS3 gen. Nothing wrong with that but it is strange people complain specifically about other PS3 gen games being released or being remade in this gen but excited by a 2016 PS3 game with far fewer upgrades/changes. Fine by me though, the more people that can play this and not complain about 'PS3 games' the better.
All of the content added to GTA V has been for GTA Online, which only a relatively small portion of the playerbase actively plays. The offline portion for GTA V has received no substantial updates since its release. On top of that, GTA Online is a live service game that is heavily monetized through micro transactions.

P5: Royal on the other hand adds an enormous amount of content and makes significant changes to its gameplay formula. It simply isn't the same game. Most of the excitement for P5: Royal comes from the fact that it will now be released on platforms where it previously wasn't available. If it only came out on PS5 with minor enhancements, then the reaction would probably have been different.

Lognor

Banned
What about the PS5 version? Does this news have a 48 hour announcement exclusivity too?
I wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay for some of this dlc on ps5. I think Phil negotiated a pretty good deal for Xbox. Paid for it, but got some nice perks thrown in like all dlc for free. Phil is serious about Japan!
DLC Personas are fun and seeing a cat in a maid outfit is cute. Try them all.

P4Golden has been on Steam for two years, and Switch has a few.
Switch has ZERO mainline games. Persona 4, a game that is over 10 years old, has been on pc for two years. The newest persona game was only available on ps consoles. Persona was only available on ps consoles for decades. No need to downplay this. This is a BIG DEAL.

Three

All of the content added to GTA V has been for GTA Online, which only a relatively small portion of the playerbase actively plays. The offline portion for GTA V has received no substantial updates since its release. On top of that, GTA Online is a live service game that is heavily monetized through micro transactions.

P5: Royal on the other hand adds an enormous amount of content and makes significant changes to its gameplay formula. It simply isn't the same game. Most of the excitement for P5: Royal comes from the fact that it will now be released on platforms where it previously wasn't available. If it only came out on PS5 with minor enhancements, then the reaction would probably have been different.
They added things to the single player too like graphical updates, new challenges, vehicles and FP mode but yeah GTA gets a lot of its content updates on GTA online which makes a PS5/XSX version even more normal because people would be playing it non stop for years. Persona 5 royal edition is itself 3 yrs old btw.

Last edited:

zombrex

Glad I waited to play this. publishers are making buying at release more and more redundant with constant updates and extended versions, and subsequent releases on new platforms with extra content.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
That's a good question. I always play games on normal so I'm not sure either. I remember there's a boss in royal I had trouble with and when I looked up help the guides said turn the difficulty up and it makes the boss easier. Sounds nuts, but I tried it and it worked lol
i remember that. in fact it might be the same boss i was struggling with.

Mr Moose

I wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay for some of this dlc on ps5. I think Phil negotiated a pretty good deal for Xbox. Paid for it, but got some nice perks thrown in like all dlc for free. Phil is serious about Japan!

Switch has ZERO mainline games. Persona 4, a game that is over 10 years old, has been on pc for two years. The newest persona game was only available on ps consoles. Persona was only available on ps consoles for decades. No need to downplay this. This is a BIG DEAL.
What does Persona 4's age have to do with anything? You know what comes after 4, right? 5... Which came out in Japan in 2016 and WW in 2017, or this game (Royal) which is 2 years old (WW), just like Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Persona is the franchise, Persona 5 is not.
Persona 5 Strikers is available on Switch and PC and it's a really fun game.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
What does Persona 4's age have to do with anything? You know what comes after 4, right? 5... Which came out in Japan in 2016 and WW in 2017, or this game (Royal) which is 2 years old (WW), just like Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Persona is the franchise, Persona 5 is not.
Persona 5 Strikers is available on Switch and PC and it's a really fun game.
Persona 5 strikers is a spin off. Not a mainline game. There are no mainline games on Xbox. None on switch. One on pc. That one on pc is from a game over a decade old and just released two years ago. Starting with persona 2 every game has been exclusive to a ps device for over 20 years... until 2 years ago when one decade old game was released on pc.

So yes, it's a huge deal that these games are coming to pc and Xbox. No need to downplay it. I wouldn't look at this as a loss to PlayStation. It's a huge gain for every one else... maybe even switch fans if it's announced today!

Mr Moose

Persona 5 strikers is a spin off. Not a mainline game. There are no mainline games on Xbox. None on switch. One on pc. That one on pc is from a game over a decade old and just released two years ago. Starting with persona 2 every game has been exclusive to a ps device for over 20 years... until 2 years ago when one decade old game was released on pc.

So yes, it's a huge deal that these games are coming to pc and Xbox. No need to downplay it. I wouldn't look at this as a loss to PlayStation. It's a huge gain for every one else... maybe even switch fans if it's announced today!
So it's associated more with PlayStation, if Persona fans know that then they'd buy a PlayStation if they cared.
I guess it's just not a huge deal to me because I've been able to play them since they launched (collectors editions :messenger_heart:).

Atlus put P4G on PC and not on PS4 yet, it's just the Atlus way, who knows wtf they are doing.
If you have a Switch, play Strikers after P5R (though it's related to the non-Royal version, it won't really matter).

Also

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
So it's associated more with PlayStation, if Persona fans know that then they'd buy a PlayStation if they cared.
I guess it's just not a huge deal to me because I've been able to play them since they launched (collectors editions :messenger_heart:).

Atlus put P4G on PC and not on PS4 yet, it's just the Atlus way, who knows wtf they are doing.
If you have a Switch, play Strikers after P5R (though it's related to the non-Royal version, it won't really matter).

Also

Woot! I still definitely buy persona 5 on switch and then maybe check out strikers. I was going to just play the game pass version but I'd rather play on a portable. Can't stick 100+ hours into a jrpg sitting in front of a TV!

Paltheos

Probably one of the best JRPG franchises of the last few generations.

It's definitely the most celebrated of the past decade, a crown it stole from Final Fantasy. Persona 3 was kind of a sleeper hit but Persona 4 took the world by storm. (By contrast a couple years before, FFXII, while great, doesn't have the same broad appeal imo, and a few years later FFXIII came out... which should speak for itself).

Persona's not my favorite, but it's earned a spot on my 'must plays'. P5 was actually a bit of a letdown for me but I'm still in for P6.

Top Bottom