• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5: Royal - Review Thread (PS5|Xbox|Switch)

Jsisto

Im not gonna feed into the double standard so no I will report it we all know the same people fawning over thid would flip a wig if the roles were reversed.
As a 36 year old playing a character(joker) that is essentially a blank slate...she's one of the few romantic interest characters that was even remotely relatable. You could easily make the argument that it's an M rated game, and anyone playing should be over 18....so really the truly problematic choice would actually be choosing a high schooler as a romantic option!

Last edited:
It’s such bullshit that Atlus didn’t offer a 60 fps patch or at least an upgrade path for owners of both Persona 5 or P5 Royal! How many people already bought both versions of the game? A lot I bet. To then make those people have to rebuy the game for a THIRD time to be able to play at 60 fps is disgusting.

This is Control Ultimate edition all over again but even worse. This is the type of anti gamer shit that the games media should be ALL OVER yet I couldn’t find one article that calls them out over it.

As a 36 year old playing a character(joker) that is essentially a blank slate...she's one of the few romantic interest characters that was even remotely relatable. You could easily make the argument that it's an M rated game, and anyone playing should be over 18....so really the truly problematic choice would actually be choosing a high schooler as a romantic option!
You misunderstand what i am saying if a 26 year old male teacher was aiming to date a 16-17 year old female student no one would hold your viewpoint so as long as that is the case I refuse to support the other way around and will view it the same

It’s such bullshit that Atlus didn’t offer a 60 fps patch or at least an upgrade path for owners of both Persona 5 or P5 Royal! How many people already bought both versions of the game? A lot I bet. To then make those people have to rebuy the game for a THIRD time to be able to play at 60 fps is disgusting.

This is Control Ultimate edition all over again but even worse. This is the type of anti gamer shit that the games media should be ALL OVER yet I couldn’t find one article that calls them out over it.
It's also trash there is no uncapped framerate when using vrr the consoles are breeding right now at the current 60fps cap

Jsisto

You misunderstand what i am saying if a 26 year old male teacher was aiming to date a 16-17 year old female student no one would hold your viewpoint so as long as that is the case I refuse to support the other way around and will view it the same
I fully understood what you were saying. I was making a lighthearted joke because it’s just a game. Obviously I don’t support adult teachers sleeping with students…

Last edited:

I don't see the issue here. You bought 2 copies of a game for 1 console and feel you're entitled to a copy for a different console?

I fully understood what you were saying. I was making a lighthearted joke because it’s just a game. Obviously I don’t support adult teachers sleeping with students…
My whole thing is its gotta be a standard applied throughout so you either have a problem with both or none

I recently found out joker has the same birth year as me going by the wiki so now it makes sense why my friend used to be obssessd with this game

Funny enough I recently found out joker (ren Amiya) has the same birth year as me going by the wiki page

I don't see the issue here. You bought 2 copies of a game for 1 console and feel you're entitled to a copy for a different console?
I very clearly said my issue is with them not patching in 60 fps or offering an upgrade path. It’s so clearly not an issue of “entitlement” but nice try. Btw you clearly aren’t in the same boat of having bought the game twice aleady and wanting 60 fps. There was no reason for them not to patch it other than them hoping it’ll push more people to rebuy it. Almost any other publisher except for the most greedy wouldve done it. Get out of here with that entitlement crap you shill. Wouldve taken them almost no work and wouldve been a common courtesy. I can’t stand gamers like you who are so quick to call someone entitled.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
My whole thing is its gotta be a standard applied throughout so you either have a problem with both or none
You do realize the age of consent in Japan is 13 right? Doubt they actually apply the rule there and most of the time its after 16 when they actually go into youknowwat however it is legal for Joker to sleep with the teacher or the doc. Theres no "standard" or "morals" besides being a game.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Going to buy on XsX even tho i have gamepass so it can go towards sales. I need the next persona game to be day one xbox.

Starship Troopers GIF
In my five thousand years of gaming and buying most bollocks on every playform going this shit has never happend :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Keep fighting brother. Maybe one day.

You do realize the age of consent in Japan is 13 right? Doubt they actually apply the rule there and most of the time its after 16 when they actually go into youknowwat however it is legal for Joker to sleep with the teacher or the doc. Theres no "standard" or "morals" besides being a game.
You are aware my issue is the egregious double standard on the topic and not exactly the age itself right? My problem is all the people slamming me right now would be singing a different tune if it was Kawakami that was a teen and joker the 26 year old

You are aware my issue is the egregious double standard on the topic and not exactly the age itself right? My problem is all the people slamming me right now would be singing a different tune if it was Kawakami that was a teen and joker the 26 year old
Nobody’s shaming you mate, we just think you’re taking things a little seriously. I abhor violence but The Terminator is one of the greatest films ever…

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
right now would be singing a different tune if it was Kawakami that was a teen and joker the 26 year old
Not for Japanese it wouldnt nor for most gamers. If you mean dumb ass "journalists" well thats on you and as a general rule you should avoid them at all costs.

Chukhopops

This is 2016 all over again, people arguing to each over Kawakami and Takemi when the game first came out. I guess people still not over it yet.
The two are completely different though because Takemi has no position of authority over Joker. That’s what makes the thing weird to me just like FE3H had this weird « dating your students » concept.

Plus Takemi is way better-looking and provides you with pills.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The two are completely different though because Takemi has no position of authority over Joker. That’s what makes the thing weird to me just like FE3H had this weird « dating your students » concept.

Plus Takemi is way better-looking and provides you with pills.
None of it matters, if it bothers by it you can just choose to never date Kawakami and still comlete her S.link.

Not for Japanese it wouldnt nor for most gamers. If you mean dumb ass "journalists" well thats on you and as a general rule you should avoid them at all costs.
Actually I’m glad to hear you guys here aren’t bothered I’ve always had an issue with the demonization of male teachers on this topic while simultaneously justifying a female teacher. I’ve always held the belief that these should be taken on a case by case basis and to wait till they are out of your class but clearly saying that makes people enraged

amigastar

Just installed it on Game Pass.
I'm really curious if i will like it. Don't have many experience with Jrpgs besides Dragon Quest series which i really like.

LakeOf9

Just installed it on Game Pass.
I'm really curious if i will like it. Don't have many experience with Jrpgs besides Dragon Quest series which i really like.
It's like nothing else

have you played yakuza? that would be the closest point of comparison but even that's a very light similarity

amigastar

It's like nothing else

have you played yakuza? that would be the closest point of comparison but even that's a very light similarity
No, i haven't played yakuza. But i thought Yakuza is a completely different game to Persona 5. As far as i know Yakuza is more like Shenmue, or is it?

Last edited:

LakeOf9

No, i haven't played yakuza. But i thought Yakuza is a completely different game to Persona 5. As far as i know Yakuza is more like Shenmue, or is it?
No, Yakuza and Shenmue aren't that similar, but Yakuza and Persona aren't either; I just compared them because they are both super Japanese in terms of setting, characters, story, and the things they deal with in their stories (which are almost always uniquely Japanese social and political issues). Both are all tied to accurate depictions of modern Japanese urban society.

Mechanically, there really is nothing like Persona. While a lot of franchises have apparently tried to copy it (including Yakuza itself) Persona is really unique. The best way to explain it would be as a mix of a turn based game, a life sim game, and a dungeon crawler, with some Pokemon style monster collecting thrown in as well

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The best way to explain it would be as a mix of a turn based game, a life sim game, and a dungeon crawler, with some Pokemon style monster collecting thrown in as well
In my opinion the best comparison is Sakura Wars, the earlier games are SRPG but both Persona and Sakura wars have date sim that effects the combat, in fact I would argue that Persona 3 got idea of mixing date sim with regular combat from Sakura Wars series.

Also Persona is part of Megami Tensei series, so they had monster collection before Pokemon.

Last edited:

cortadew

Do not bump threads just to start childish fights. Next time will be a ban.
The soundtrack and overall visual style were the best thing about the game.

Plot was ok and characters were hit and miss.

I enjoyed my 120 hours with it.
I love how you make it sound like the game was good but ok and then claim you spent 120 hours

Top Bottom