• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Royal PC/PS5/Switch/Xbox Discussion Thread

Pejo

So I looked for a previous OT for the PS4 version but didn't see anything. I just wanted a place for the 4-5 of us playing the game to discuss it, I guess.

I played the original P5 on PS4, made it to the pyramid dungeon and took a break. Then before coming back, I found out about P5R and decided to wait to finish it with the extra content, due to game length and limited personal playtime.

Just picked it up today on Steam, it's installing now.

How are you guys enjoying the game?

Here are a few links in place of an OT:

I couldn't find a ps5 labeled version on Playstation Store, so I assume this is it?

Review thread for the new versions:

nocsi

Just got it today too. Booted it up on PS5 to admire the sound design and how well it sounds on 5.1 - then promptly put it into the backlog. Apparently they removed the Raidou DLC because of... reasons. But then weirdly Soul Hackers 2 had Raidou costumes that weren't removed.

FTR, I have Persona 5 (PS4), Persona 5: Royal (PS4) and now Persona 5: Royal (PS5). It's a game I'll eventually get to

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
JvZKEAl.jpg

It's in the backlog for now, but I can't wait to get round too it, going to finish no more heroes 3, then plague tale requiem and then start this, well I might do sonic frontiers and evil west first, as imagine they are much shorter, I want to make sure I really fancy a jrpg before starting, as I read it's a 100 hours+ :)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I already played both original game and Royal version on PS4, its enjoyable game with super stylish art direction and like that they brought back MegaTen mechanics that were missing on P3&4 like fighting actual demons and demon negotiation and proper dungeon, but I do wish it’s difficulty was better balanced.

Jennings

Will I like this game if I've only played 3 JRPG's and kinda sorta like them?

I've played:
Xenoblade: Meh
Xenoblade 2: Wonderful
Xenoblade 3: Blah

Pejo

I've played:
The battle system is turn based and completely unlike the Xenoblade series.

Here's a standard battle (timestamped) to see what it's like.

Graciaus

I bought it but I'll be waiting for mods before I jump in. Played the original at release but never Royal. Crazy that this game is 100+ hours and I'm going to do it again.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Bought P5 on PS4. Then I bought P5R. Never played either, the timing just wasn’t right, as I don’t have much time to game on the couch these days.

But now that it’s on Game Pass, I loaded it up on my Steam Deck, but have (surprisingly) been loving playing it via xcloud on my iPhone even more. It feels like perfect game to play on xcloud, at least in terms of performance. The minor input latency doesn’t affect the game much at all. It’s been such a treat!

Rykan

I've played:
I think it will be quite refreshing to play Persona 5 after playing these games because you'll actually be playing a good JRPG.

Anyway, glad Persona 5 Royal is now available, but not having an upgrade path for PS4 owners sucks.

drganon

Already played and beaten it 3 times ( regular twice, royal once), so I'm in no rush to play the game again. It is an excellent game however. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes jrpgs in the slightest.

Pejo

Basic QOL ones but who knows. They did some pretty neat things with P4G.

Oh that's pretty cool. I bought P4G but still haven't played it. Some of those mods sound great for QoL though. Now I'm curious what they'll do for P5R too.

Joho79

When does it get fun? Granted I’m just a couple of hours in but definitely not hooked right away. Or maybe jrpgs just not my thing.

Freeman76

When does it get fun? Granted I’m just a couple of hours in but definitely not hooked right away. Or maybe jrpgs just not my thing.

I'd say around chapter 2 when it opens up and you dont have a cat holding your hand and telling you what to do every 5 seconds.

Someone earlier in the thread said its essentially a dungeon crawler, which it really isnt. A lot of the fun in this game comes from the slice of life stuff during the month leading up to your dungeon run. Making choices about what to spend your time doing, what you want to focus on levelling up etc.

Its a cool game but I do find the amount of talking offputting, I skip a lot of scenes once it gets too much though, the story can be hard to follow at times anyway lol

I'll probably buy the game on Switch, and maybe play through the game again on GP. Already got the platinums on both PS4 versions.

Danjin44

Someone earlier in the thread said its essentially a dungeon crawler, which it really isnt
Modern Petsona have S.link system but its core gameplay loop is you going through dungeons to fight and recruit Demons and fuse. Other series like mainline SMT is much more focus on dungeons and has actual press turn combat.

Orbital2060

Q: once you collect a persona (buying, fusing,learning) is there a way to store it? Or do you have to delete it to free up space?

Danjin44

Okay thanks.

I collected Raoul too early smh
When you get new demon/persona it automatically gets registered, but if that persona learns new skill that you like to keep even after use it as fusion material, then you have to register it manually.

Orbital2060

When you get new demon/persona it automatically gets registered, but if that persona learns new skill that you like to keep even after use it as fusion material, then you have to register it manually.
Problem is he will cost 60k upon repurchase. It was free with the dlc. Its weird he can be claimed as a level 7 with him at lvl 76. You cant even fuse above your level.

So the persona will just sit there and take up
a spot. He can be used of course but thats equivalent to cheating imo.

Jebron

Wait... so if I own the digital PS4 version of P5R, to get the PS5 upgrade I need to buy the PS5 version at full price? Is there seriously no upgrade for existing players?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a reason I shouldn’t “buy” the free personas from Igor? I want them to see what I can fuse them with, and what not. I don’t want to use them for over leveling purposes.

Orbital2060

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a reason I shouldn’t “buy” the free personas from Igor? I want them to see what I can fuse them with, and what not. I don’t want to use them for over leveling purposes.
At least one of them is lvl 76, it should say on the left side. It ruins the game early on using thøse. And taking up one spot in the limited inventory. You can delete personas but then have to pay for another of the same. Like 60k for the above lvl 76.

So I dont know the best time to acquire them or if the personas carry over to a new game +. Maybe wait until youre the same level as the personas. I claimed two of the Orpheus types that are around lvl 25 which Im close to now.

I also fused out an Orpheus from personas in the first dungeon, which changed the game basicallly with fire AoE spell. Made everything a whole lot quicker and easier.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
if I fuse them, do they not just go to my level? I thought I couldn’t fuse anything higher than my player level.

Rambone

I sure do love me some P'sona. I love having P5:R out on so many platforms now but I kind of wish there was some sort of cross platform saving system at this point.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Kinda random but has anyone tried using cheat engine on PC? The only reason I ask is I was aware of one confidant I needed to level up to get to the Royal content/true ending but I wasn’t aware of another one to get like the best ending and most added content 🫤

I beat what was seemingly the OG P5 boss and finished that palace so I’m like 90+ hours in and there’s no way I’m starting over, my plan is to just mod the stat for that one confidant that’s now unavailable and keep going…but I also saw a warning to be careful modding the new confidants before the endgame content. The other option would be I guess to download a save but then all my other progress and personas would be lost and I’d prefer not to do that.

Edit

Well if anyone cares I used cheat engine to max that one confidant rank and a flag for getting the true ending which I think would’ve triggered with a dialogue option I missed. So far the game hasn’t crashed or anything so I guess we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Doing another run and they really added some polish to this version. The surround sound is amazing, and the game pops now more than before, visually. Just did the tomb dungeon. Forgot just how time consuming this game is.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Doing another run and they really added some polish to this version. The surround sound is amazing, and the game pops now more than before, visually. Just did the tomb dungeon. Forgot just how time consuming this game is.
We were living with relatives when P5 came out and I was playing the PS4 version on a shitty TCL TV at the time. This time I was either playing on Steam Deck (40FPS) or on my C1 (4Kx150% >100FPS w/ HDR). To say this game pops on the C1 at that resolution with HDR is an understatement. I wish the Steam Deck had an OLED. Toward the end I was only playing dungeons in the TV and the slice of life stuff on the handheld.

So I looked for a previous OT for the PS4 version but didn't see anything. I just wanted a place for the 4-5 of us playing the game to discuss it, I guess.

I played the original P5 on PS4, made it to the pyramid dungeon and took a break. Then before coming back, I found out about P5R and decided to wait to finish it with the extra content, due to game length and limited personal playtime.

Just picked it up today on Steam, it's installing now.

How are you guys enjoying the game?

Here are a few links in place of an OT:

[/URL]
[/URL]

I couldn't find a ps5 labeled version on Playstation Store, so I assume this is it?
[/URL]

Review thread for the new versions:
[/URL]
Online and the fan base ruined this game for me your dehumanized and demonized if you play this game over 16 I missed my chance to play it

Top Bottom