• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Royal Gameplay changes and story content listed

Blond

Banned

I'm really excited about the additional items to make dungeon runs more efficient and getting more nighttime freedom. But I'm going to wait and see impressions first as I didn't finish the game strictly because said reasons.

• What's New in Persona 5 Royal?
    Below, we've categorised all of the changes in Persona 5 Royal when compared to Persona 5. There are new features, gameplay adjustments, and quality of life improvements, as well as smaller, more general alterations.

New Content in Persona 5 Royal
    • New party member named Kasumi
    • An entirely new school semester has been added, expanding the story alongside a new Palace
    • The new 'Thieves Den' feature lets you visit a huge room full of unlockable bonus content at any time through the pause menu. You can use in-game currency to unlock things like artwork, character models, cutscenes, and music
    • A number of brand new animated story cutscenes
    • A whole new location called Kichijoji is yours to explore, and it's bigger than any other real world location in the game
    • Kichijoji has a club that you can visit with party members, opening up new social and bonding events
    • Kichijoji's club features a darts minigame
    • Kichijoji has a jazz bar that can grant party members stat boosts
    • Two brand new confidants with their own perks
    • Akechi's social link route has been completely overhauled, slots differently into the story
    • Some confidants (particularly party members) have additional social scenes
    • New events, such as holidays and additional character scenes, have been added to the calendar
    • New Personas
    • New third form for each party member's Persona
    • New enemies
    • New weapons
    • New armour
    • New accessories
    • New items
    • Two new story endings
  • Gameplay Additions in Persona 5 Royal
    • Each Phantom Thief now has a powerful 'Showtime' attack -- basically a super move
    • All Palaces have been reworked to some degree, although largely they remain the same in terms of layout
    • Some Palaces have completely new areas
    • Joker now has a grappling hook that lets you access new areas in dungeons
    • The grappling hook often leads to secret locations that house 'Will Seeds' -- these are items that restore the party's SP, potentially making dungeon runs more efficient
    • Each Palace now houses three collectable objects called 'Ishi', which are essentially skulls. Each time you find all three skulls in a Palace, you'll be rewarded with a unique accessory
    • All Palace bosses have been reworked in some way, either with additional mechanics or phases
    • Some Palaces now have additional boss enemies
    • Mementos, the randomised dungeon that you can visit when you have free time, has been expanded quite significantly -- floors can be bigger and there's more room for exploration in general
    • Mementos now has a shop that sells exclusive goods
    • A new 'stamp' system has been added to Mementos. You can collect and use stamps to change different gameplay elements of the dungeon (higher encounter rate, more rewards from battle, etc.)
    • There are new side quests to complete in Mementos
    • Rare, more powerful shadows can now appear both in Palaces and Mementos
    • The Velvet Room now offers special optional battles that you can take part in (this is also where DLC battles take place)
    • The Velvet Room can now go into a random 'lockdown' mode, which triggers various potential benefits when fusing Personas -- but there are risks as well
  • Gameplay Adjustments in Persona 5 Royal (Dungeons and Combat)
    • Ammo now restocks after battle, making guns way more valuable across dungeon runs
    • Some Personas have been rebalanced both in terms of stats and available skills
    • Some enemies have been rebalanced both in terms of stats and available skills
    • The baton pass mechanic has been expanded -- each party member now has a baton pass 'level'. With a higher level, you gain access to additional effects when you switch characters
    • Status effects on enemies don't last as long
  • Gameplay Adjustments in Persona 5 Royal (Everyday Life)
    • The calendar has been reworked in places, allowing for more free time and additional opportunities to interact with your confidants
    • Morgana doesn't tell you to go to bed quite so much -- you generally get more free time at night
    • Some confidants have reworked perks
  • Other Additions in Persona 5 Royal
    • New opening movie
    • New main menu screen
    • New and additional character portraits in conversations
    • Around 30 new music tracks
    • New weather effects have been added depending on the time of year in-game
    • A completely new Trophy list, separate from Persona 5's

Last edited:

Ingeniero

is this like a paid add-on?
I bought Persona 5 like 3 years ago and never played....
I like the genre but I was lazy.
I hope I can play and finish it soon.

Blond

Banned
is this like a paid add-on?
I bought Persona 5 like 3 years ago and never played....
I like the genre but I was lazy.
I hope I can play and finish it soon.

It's pretty much like 3:FES and 4:Golden. Expanded games with more content and fixes from gameplay feedback.

drganon

I'm getting this day one or as close to it as I can. Persona 5 is my personal game of this generation.

lachesis

If I played P5 3 years ago.. I would have bought the game... but since I just cleared the game last year, spending nearly 180+ hours to get platinum - I just don't think it's enough to justify additional playthrough from scratch. Half priced DLC would have been nicer.... TBH, not even sure if the new additions are considered canon - seeing I don't see the new character in P5S, which seems to be more canon, and am more looking forward to P5S.

Blond

Banned
If I played P5 3 years ago.. I would have bought the game... but since I just cleared the game last year, spending nearly 180+ hours to get platinum - I just don't think it's enough to justify additional playthrough from scratch. Half priced DLC would have been nicer.... TBH, not even sure if the new additions are considered canon - seeing I don't see the new character in P5S, which seems to be more canon, and am more looking forward to P5S.

I just looked at some gameplay and I think I'm excited for it as well! It looks like an ARPG with a Persona skin!

Graciaus

Did they change the baton pass system? Made using new characters annoying since they don't get it until after the dungeon they join in.

Would have liked a new difficulty which randomized enemy strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I wonder if it will have a separate trophy list from P5?
I actually enjoyed getting the plat (except the Futaba lines...) .

Last edited:

ryan13ts

I wonder if it will have a separate trophy list from P5?
I actually enjoyed getting the plat (except the Futaba lines...) .

Apparently does, from what I've read, which is a good thing for people that have already platinumed the original like yourself.

This will be the first persona game I've revisited with the "expanded" edition. Usually I just skip it since the additions seem pretty minor (Especially 3), but this one looks like it has enough to make it seem like a new game. Looking forward to it, still can't believe it's coming out so soon.

blackjon24

Love this game but not enough to pay full price for something that could have easily been a reasonably priced dlc. Will wait for a price drop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom