• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Royal – over an hour of English gameplay

Mista

Banned
persona-5-royal-new-changes-differences-everything-thats-new.900x.jpg

Gematsu attended an Atlus-hosted Persona 5 Royal event in Los Angeles in early February where we went hands-on with the English version of the enhanced Persona 5.

Atlus prepared save files with access to various early scenes, including the first “Palace”—the game’s main dungeons formed by the negative thoughts of those the Phantom Thieves of Hearts aim to reform—showcasing the new “Grappling Hook” mechanic and updates to said Palace’s boss battle; as well as the new Kichijoji area; event scenes with new playable character Kasumi Yoshizawa; and the player-customizable “Thieves’ Den.”

Gematsu Gameplay

• 00:00:50 to 00:23:40 – Kamoshida’s Palace
  • 00:23:40 to 00:48:35 – Kamoshida Boss Battle
  • 00:48:35 to 00:55:00 – Kichijoji Daytime
  • 00:55:00 to 00:59:25 – Kichijoji Nighttime
  • 00:59:25 to 01:07:10 – Kasumi Event Scenes
  • 01:07:10 to 01:15:46 – Thieves’ Den

Atlus Gameplay

Darts

Grappling Hook

Kichijoji

kunonabi

From speaking with senior project manager Yu Namba, who has played a major part of the series localization dating back to Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (2000), there'll be some changes to existing lines of dialogue in P5R. Specifically, we talked about the gay couple that would harrass Ryuji at certain points of the original game--they were "portrayed [as] more like predatory," as Namba put it. When I asked him about those scenes, Namba stated, "I think the community had a very strong response to that, and you saw that, and that was definitely altered for Royal."

As for how those characters and lines have changed, Namba simply said, "We made it [as if they're] being very strong enthusiasts for something they like doing. But it's not like they're on the hunt for some young boys or anything." It's clear that, like the fan base, those who worked on Persona 5's localization felt some type of way about it, too. Namba told me, "Our team members felt a little bit of awkwardness about when working on it," with regards to those moments in the original release. He also said it was no easy task to get the green light to make changes. He concluded, "We're pretty happy with what it is. It's not a significant change, but I think there's enough of a change that people who weren't comfortable going through that part in Persona 5 would feel better this time around."

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/persona-5-royal-will-be-worthwhile-even-for-return/1100-6473781/

Last edited:

DryPancakes

Banned
People did overreacted that part but at the same time it wasn’t all that impactful enough for me to care if it’s there or not.

It wasn't and really who cares, but pleasing a group of perpetually offended troublemakers on the internet is never a good idea, it's never going to be enough and you're demostrating they have power over you.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I can't even think what the hell he is talking about. No doubt it was harmless but some people threw a shit fit.

Anyway, so has much changed? I mean... Is this just basically Persona 5 with extra content at the end or have they made changes to the entire game?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Its your choice and your money, do what you need to do. But there is no way in hell I'm going to skip this game over that.

You don't have to skip it. You could wait and get it on sale, used. Preventing the team from getting any money. That way you can still play the game and you won't reward the shitty localization.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
These are the two scenes that they are talking about. (Skip to 00:13 and 02:30)

Not that I really care about this, but notice that nothing was said about removing the scene of the guys hitting on the girls, however.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You don't have to skip it. You could wait and get it on sale, used. Preventing the team from getting any money. That way you can still play the game and you won't reward the shitty localization.
I'm huge fan of Persona 5 and I have been waiting fo Royal for very long time, this "censorship" doesn't bother me enough for me to skip or wait for sales.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

bacardi

Atlus confirmed that the game supports 4k on Pro but I don't think its native

So I guess its checker-boarding at this point. They also should and must patch P5

Aight. Thanks. Guess we'll wait and see, i don't think the PS4Pro would have issues doing a native 4k on this game... its not super advanced graphics wise.

Top Bottom