• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

Hasney

QefbiAD.gif

26mw6O5.gif

grimmiq

Never played it. Is it a classic turn-based jrpg or does it have a unique angle?

Turn based with a focus on elemental weaknesses/strengths. Enemies and party members can be weak to some elements or nullify/absorb/reflect others. If something gets hit with an element/attack they're weak to, they get an additional attack (enemies too). "Trash" enemies tend to be about finding out/exploiting their weaknesses while boss fights are protecting yours.

Never played it. Is it a classic turn-based jrpg or does it have a unique angle?

Half of the game is a classic dungeon crawling jrpg with a Pokémon mechanic. The other half is a life sim where you build up your character and your relationships. The game takes place over a year and you plan your actions for every day. Both parts of the game influence each other.

But if you have a Vita, I'd recommend Persona 4 Golden instead. P5 is good but incredibly frustrating at times.

Xyber

Which feature?

You know, the system level feature the publishers can decide to block if they don't want people to stream their game.

Totally a game feature.

I get that people might be upset over the streaming restrictions, but that's not part of the game at all and should not be considered in a review.

I'd probably recommend P5. Its easily the best playing one in the series so far rather than dropping out and getting bored during a P4 dungeon. At least you're not in Mementos that long.

The dungeons and combat are better, for sure. But the pacing of P5 is killing me. And while the game features some of the best writing I've ever seen in the series, there are also a few major dips in quality during certain parts of the story. They're both great games but I feel like P4 is a better package overall.

RalchAC

The game is half turn based JRPG and half visual novel / life sim.

The game takes place over the course of a year. You are granted the power to wield Personas by the beginning of the game and meet other people with said power as the game progresses.

You have various dungeons to clear, they're handcrafted in P5 and really, really well done. Each dungeon can take 4-8 hours, I'd say, depending on how long you take with puzzles and stuff. There is a 18-25 day limit to clear the dungeon once it's unlocked. Furthermore, there is an area that you can visit to do sidequests and stuff.

The battle system is turn-based, and its focused is on exploiting enemy weaknesses. You get extra turns if you hit one, and can use a powerful finisher if you manage to hit all your enemies weaknesses. Those enemies, called shadows, can be convinced to join your party by talking to them. The battle system is really well done, fast and looks really good.

However, you'll spend most of your time reading stuff. The game has a lot of texts. There is the story, and you can spend your time hanging out with various people: they call them coops in the game. By hanging out with them you "level up" your relationship with those characters and get various gameplay perks.

The game in general is quite well written too. You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of those little moments if you don't mind reading.

Keep in mind it's 100 hours long or so. But it's an amazing game. I've played 70 hours in 8 days, it's been years since I've been so absorbed by a game. I've been sleeping like 5 hours a day since I started playing it and I don't care at all.

Necron

I'll play this eventually to see what all the fuss is about and ordered a copy (already love the look of the steelbook edition)... but I'm drowning in too many good games at the moment...

Stop, you are adding more reasons why he shouldn't go back to the older games :p.

That's how you do it:
32a6f1f2e1caa64744913b358c7d4add.jpg

I'm kicking myself for not getting that version. Goddamn.

I just can't justify spending another 80 bucks on this game when I already have a copy.
You should have gotten it from amazon Germany or France then. The Take your Heart Edition there was only €20 more expensive than the normal edition (€90 instead of €70), purrfect deal.
The glorious Morgana plushie alone was worth it (=ↀωↀ=)✧.
You could still trade in your copy and upgrade if you find the Collector's Edition somewhere for cheap.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Before I press play and add it to the OP, are there any spoilers in this? I'm at 8/30 in game.

Nah, 90% of the footage is from April and May dates in the review. Didn't notice a shot that featured anything beyond the date you are currently at really.

Even so, its a very clinical review that doesn't go deep into anything concerning a spoiler and instead focuses on the ususal review tickboxes like aesthetics, combat, and audio(albeit well written but not very objective). I suppose I was hoping for more of Ben's personal takeaway.

Top Bottom