• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

Here's a thought, does higher meta score bring in more clicks(if this, Zelda, Nier, Horizon and Nioh gaf threads are anything to go by, it sure does) and thus, Metacritics is delaying adding lower reviews for as long as possible?

The opposite is true for me. A stable, high, score leaves me feeling like I've seen it all. A fluctuating, changing, score has me checking in on Metacritic to follow the progress of the game.

Can't find this fucker anywhere in the UK. What year is it! 5 copies shipped to the entire UK? I've never had trouble getting a physical game since the 90's.

The opposite is true for me. A stable, high, score leaves me feeling like I've seen it all. A fluctuating, changing, score has me checking in on Metacritic to follow the progress of the game.
Yeah, the 89/90 swings for Nier Automata were delightful in the other thread
lol.gif

That was half because people were rooting for the 'underdog.'
lol.gif

Thankfully it doesn't look like it's the underdog anymore.
I've already been forced to declare bankruptcy from all the times I burned my disc and then had to rebuy the game when it got 90 again.

Persona 5, on the other hand, is rather predictably going to be the end-year champ on PS4 barring RDR2 actually making it into 2017 or the emergence of some surprise indie darling.

OP has been updated with new review counts, MC and OC are holding steady at 94 with scores from CCC, Merlin'in Kazanı (Turkey), and Gamecrate added.

Unweighted scores have also been updated.

Curious as to why EDGE's score hasn't been added. Did they not bother to add it since they put it out so far in advance?
Edge's score for NieR Automata also hasn't been added, so maybe they just haven't submitted the most recent issue's reviews yet.

Athreous

Hmm I watched a stream yesterday, it was a boss fight and omg, 37 minutes of battle...

While I love the old rpg style, 37 minutes for a boss fight was a bit too much imo... but I want to actually play the game to check how good it is!

inner-G

Banned
OP has been updated with new review counts, MC and OC are holding steady at 94 with scores from CCC, Merlin'in Kazanı (Turkey), and Gamecrate added.

Unweighted scores have also been updated.

Curious as to why EDGE's score hasn't been added. Did they not bother to add it since they put it out so far in advance?
I like the series but I almost wish people would've docked their score a few points because of the streaming fiasco

I like the series but I almost wish people would've docked their score a few points because of the streaming fiasco

That should be a mark against the company, not the game itself, imo. The quality of the game doesn't decline because you can't stream it, but game streams and streamers don't matter to me at all, so idk.

Chaos17

This is so wrong, streamers should not have an influence on a game rating. That's the problem of the streamer not of the game.

Dark_castle

The dungeon has gone from series's worst flaw to one of its main strength goddamned. I haven't been so absorbed in a game for so long.

Jachaos

Hmm I watched a stream yesterday, it was a boss fight and omg, 37 minutes of battle...

While I love the old rpg style, 37 minutes for a boss fight was a bit too much imo... but I want to actually play the game to check how good it is!

You saw one of the few occurrences of that. There are boss fights in the game, but they're only a very very small portion of the playtime you'll spend so I'd say you only got a glimpse of what the game really is!

fastmower

You saw one of the few occurrences of that. There are boss fights in the game, but they're only a very very small portion of the playtime you'll spend so I'd say you only got a glimpse of what the game really is!
I think they just don't want to fight a boss for almost an hour. Can't blame them, honestly.

_Ryo_

You would HATE Persona 3 FES's final boss. Lol.

_Ryo_

My first attempt took over 45 minutes and then you know what happened. I could have cried.

If you get charmed, you're fucked. Luckily I did beat that boss on my first try. It took forever, I think over 50 minutes but I still did it.

I was so relieved but then the ending of the game just completely ruined me.

Zolo

If you get charmed, you're fucked. Luckily I did beat that boss on my first try. It took forever, I think over 50 minutes but I still did it.

I was so relieved but then the ending of the game just completely ruined me.

I got lucky. My three party members were dead, and I got inflicted with rage. I would have literally died on the next turn if my next attack hadn't killed the boss.

Vinc

This game is absolutely ridiculously good. This year needs to calm down. After platinuming Horizon and playing 25 hours of Zelda, I thought it was all downhill from there. Ha!

Zolo

At 61 critics now and still holding at 94 on metacritic. Guess it'll take a while to get around to the '90 reviews' point due to how long the game is.

We finally finished our review. Ended up getting our press copy late.

The Outerhaven 5/5 - http://www.theouterhaven.net/2017/04/persona-5-review/
There isn't much more to be said. With masterful visuals, combat, and story, Persona 5 is a beautiful foray into the RPG scene. There are some gripes that I have within the game, such as being forced to go to bed after visiting the metaverse or doing anything in the evening. I understand it's to keep stats under control, but perhaps a system where you can start an extra activity each night at the cost of a penalty in XP or social stat gains the next day due to fatigue would have been nice. With that said though, I find it impossible to call Persona 5 anything but a phenomenal experience.

Top Bottom