• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyrox

For me the only thing I liked about that dungeon was the boss fight which was great actually, nothing else apart from that.

Funnily enough the boss is probably my least favorite up until now.
Fighting waves of trash mobs followed by a slightly bigger miniboss style dude wasn't really all that exciting to me.

So for a moment let's talk about rattle (4th Palace spoilers)

Lets get things straight: that Mot boss turns a person into a rat and then they take like 5x more damage from everything? And it's incurable?! And they can't take any action?! Futaba, why is your mind the only one with this HORRIFYING MONSTER-STATUS EFFECT?! It is the only uberdebuff I've ever come across in the game, thus far.
Although props to the devs for giving each rattled individual their own unique, mask-wearing rat model.

Like, what was that?! WTF?! aghhhhhhhhhh

Toki767

Lets get things straight: that Mot boss turns a person into a rat and then they take like 5x more damage from everything? And it's incurable?! And they can't take any action?! Futaba, why is your mind the only one with this HORRIFYING MONSTER-STATUS EFFECT?! It is the only uberdebuff I've ever come across in the game, thus far.
Although props to the devs for giving each rattled individual their own unique, mask-wearing rat model.

Wait for
despair in the very same palace

Trago

Seven hours in and Morgana is goddamn annoying. Cute, but annoying. I'm liking the layout of Palace 1, but I'm not too sure about the whole cover system. I might get used to it, but it's not doing much for me.

Back to dungeon crawling!

So... 7th dungeon.

The game told me that I should
spend as much time with my bonds as possible.
How literal is this? Is it only the
Phantom Thieves
or everybody?

Am I good bum rushing the palace like I normally have, and spending the remaining time relaxing with buds?

(Please answer as vaguely as possible if the answer delves into spoiler territory)

Squishy3

they only get targeted by the lamias, iirc, so just kill the lamias before they attack the rattled person

nOoblet16

Seven hours in and Morgana is goddamn annoying. Cute, but annoying. I'm liking the layout of Palace 1, but I'm not too sure about the whole cover system. I might get used to it, but it not doing much for me.

Back to dungeon crawling!
You can be a hair length away from an enemy and in their Line of sight and they won't notice you as long as you are in cover. You can even transfer from cover to cover this way and they will not notice that either. So exploit it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Enemies that don't have any weakness are usually VERY susceptible to status effects. Dormina wrecks Anubis and if you set it right you can powerup Yusuke's heavy physical skill with a baton pass and do a ton of damage with the technical damage bonus that Sleep provides.

Trago

You can be a hair length away from an enemy and in their Line of sight and they won't notice you as long as you are in cover. You can even transfer from cover to cover this way and they will not notice that either. So exploit it.

Huh, didn't know that. That ought to keep things flowing better. Thanks.

nOoblet16

So... 7th dungeon.

The game told me that I should
spend as much time with my bonds as possible.
How literal is this? Is it only the
Phantom Thieves
or everybody?

Am I good bum rushing the palace like I normally have, and spending the remaining time relaxing with buds?

(Please answer as vaguely as possible if the answer delves into spoiler territory)
Yes, but once you send the calling card finish the boss fight asap as your confidants won't be available until you finish that fight.

Toki767

Enemies that don't have any weakness are usually VERY susceptible to status effects. Dormina wrecks Anubis and if you set it right you can powerup Yusuke's heavy physical skill and do a ton of damage with the technical damage bonus.
I had the Sleep Stick or something by that name. It was a weapon for Ryuji but every time I did a regular attack with it on Anubis he'd fall asleep. So useful.

Jiraiza

HgTQ5hU.jpg

Yusuke's so silly.

nOoblet16

Huh, didn't know that. That ought to keep things flowing better. Thanks.
Just make sure your line of sight between yourself and your next cover is clear so that you see the option to transfer to that cover. You don't want to accidentally ambush an enemy while you try to move to a cover.

November-December story spoiler:

"The government is completely crooked! Nobody knows the system better than I do! I alone can fix it!"

He didn't say that, but he might as well.

nOoblet16

Got it. But nOoblet's response confuses me: aren't you unable to do anything OTHER than the boss fight once you send the calling card? So the whole situation's normal and that bit is story dressing?

Oh sorry, I meant once you get to the treasure room send out the calling card asap to do the boss fight. Things will be standard fare after that. The only change is that you can't hang out with confidants between the time you reach treasure room and sending out calling card...I don't know why it is that way specifically for that dungeon though.

You know, I am really enjoying how varied the encounters are now. I mentioned before that it's incredibly difficult to have all elemental skills in a party, but the enemy composition has gone further than just hitting weaknesses: the party, at times, needs to actively make their own weaknesses through technicals, or clever attack strategies (e.g. Lucky Punch) to actually get an advantage against these stronger foes. It's a huge change-up from P3P and P4G, which were rather straightforward for the most part.

The party member composition also seems much better this time around, more varied and useful. I've found myself switching out party members more than ever before, for instance. (Partly because of the XP thing.) Their skills are broad enough to be useful in most situations, rather than just like "the wind healer," or "the fire healer," or whatever that previous games had.

I really can't say enough good things about the encounter design. Varied, challenging, and fun. And this is on Normal--as much as I want to, I'm not prepared to play on Hard.
they only get targeted by the lamias, iirc, so just kill the lamias before they attack the rattled person

You're not wrong, but...
Lamias aren't the only thing that show up with Mots, IIRC. Or else the Mot itself attacked. There was something that took down a rattled person with a party-wide attack, and it wasn't a Lamia.

Salaadin

It's the same
Crossroads bar you met Ohya at. Speak to Lala for the job. You need Kindness and Proficiency to get hired, though.
Doesn't seem to do anything. Nothing indicating that a job is even available here or that my stats are low. Lala just yells at me for staring

DNAbro

I'll post more in depth stuff once I'm done with everything but quick final boss thoughts
I felt like they were trying to do something similar to the amazing 13 arcana stuff in Persona 3, but it didn't really work as well. The deadly sins thing was such a background component, not to mention 3 of the targets all felt like forms of greed so it's kind of weird. But whatever. Was still cool.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mementos Q: Should I accumulate multiple targets before going in to Mementos to be more efficient about my visits? And then when I do, should I start from the top or as deep down as I can? Not 100% on how this Mementos stuff works efficiency-wise. I beat the first Mementos mission and have found the second target and am midway into the second castle too, fwiw. Thanks!

Krogan

Is the gear you take to the laundry based on your level? Like should I just find out what it is or should I save it for when I'm higher?

Mementos Q: Should I accumulate multiple targets before going in to Mementos to be more efficient about my visits? And then when I do, should I start from the top or as deep down as I can? Not 100% on how this Mementos stuff works efficiency-wise. I beat the first Mementos mission and have found the second target and am midway into the second castle too, fwiw. Thanks!

I'd queue up multiple requests personally, as a matter of efficiency. For maximum effiency, visit during unusual days (e.g. raining) for extra loot or other effects. And bring lockpicks, you may need them.

The Mementos map tells you which block they're in, so don't worry about their location so much--it will be pretty obvious. Just be sure to start from the top floor in the block and work your way down, because they've kinda seemed designed for that from my experiences.
Is the gear you take to the laundry based on your level? Like should I just find out what it is or should I save it for when I'm higher?

From what I've seen it's based on where you find it, not what level you are. No point in hoarding them.

Might be wrong, but it'd be a really weird oversight on the devs part if so.

so, is there a way to make top tier personas liek trumpeteer/alice/yoshitsune without basically going thru the whole game again?

Summon Personas from your compendium (in the Velvet Room, where you reigster them) to fuse these advanced Personas. Pricy, but effective.

There's a website out there that can give you the exact formulas for every(?) Persona if you're lacking some. Don't have the link, unfortunately.

FHIZ

7/24 spoilers talking to Akechi:
Chose "Ryujis a Phantom Thief" immediately. Keep your fat mouth shut, dick!

Still laughing.

Fuck this is like Dark Souls III haha. I get it. I really do. I mean I love Dark Souls III too. And Persona 5. In fact Persona 5 is legitimately my favorite JRPG of all time. It's the first time I got the share in the love...so to speak. With IRL friends. But at some point we have to accept when a game is considered dog shit. DSIII is dog shit. Persona 5 is dog shit. I accept that. You'll have to do the same. I don't want to shit up this OT, so this'll be my last post here. But....it's OK to like something that is hated lol. Have you read this thread? Or Reddit? Or GameFAQs? No one likes this fucking game! It's all about how P3/P4 are better. And seriously? That's OK. These games marked me. Some of the best I ever played.

It's ok to like something nobody else does lol. Welcome to my world people! I mean I've got GFaqs reviews up for these fuckers! I can tell when the fanbase hates the new thing! It's OK to like shit no ones does. I'm used to it! Y'all take care now.

did you have a stroke midway through this post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom