• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable & Persona 4: Golden |OT| Velvet Underground

Impotaku

I never played any persona till I tried 5 royal on PS4 and totally fell in love with it. Already blazed through 2 playthroughs on PS4 and with it getting the switch release I’m currently playing through again already maxed out my social stats and now trying to do all the confidants before I tackle slapheads palace. Really want to finish but I’m thinking of bookmarking my current playthrough and picking up number 4 seeing as it’s out hoping the characters are just as enjoyable as 5R have been. By the end of that one I was genuinely sad as they parted ways I wanted to spend more time adventuring with them which is the only reason I got scramble.

This is part of the reason this series won me over to be at the top of my best rpgs I have ever played list, the story and characters were fantastic. Juggling everything while trying to get through was overwhelming at first but then it becomes addictive as your effort is rewarded as your bonds become stronger with very useful perks.

Last edited:

Doom85

Disappointing indeed Eurogamer

Dumbasses don’t understand the game at all.

-Kanji isn‘t gay, he’s bi. This is rather clear in his interest in Naoto regardless of what he thought her gender was. As for him not coming out, why does he need to? He‘ll do it when he’s ready. Also, I feel Eurogamer is letting their own prejudices show by bringing up Kanji liking “generally feminine” activities. They are aware straight guys can like things like sewing, right?
-the game never says we’re supposed to agree with Yosuke’s homophobia. Shocker, a teenager growing up in a country usually governed by traditional conservatives isn’t the most progressive individual you might meet. As for his creeping on the girls, he usually suffers for it as a consequence, so again the game isn’t saying he’s right. Honestly, there’s a reason most Persona fans consider Yosuke a poor man‘s version of Junpei from Persona 3
-Naoto isn’t trans. She forced herself to act male due to the sexist older generation who would hurt her chances of becoming a detective. This is made blatantly clear and Eurogamer conveniently leaves out the “battling against sexism” angle. We are starting to see trans characters appear in Japanese media like the anime Zombieland Saga which is great, but I’m pretty sure it was extremely rare to see in 2008 or earlier. Ironically, Naoto fighting against sexism is progressive, and people trying to twist that away from her are kind of enabling sexists (fictional ones, but still)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I have bought Persona 3 Portable on Switch and Steam. Also have picked up Persona 4 Golden on Switch. I already own it on PC.

So now I own...

PS4

Persona 5
Persona 5 Strikers

PS2
SMT: Persona 3 FES
SMT: Persona 4

SWITCH

Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5 Royal
Persona 5 Strikers

PC

Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5 Royal
Persona 5 Strikers

If I ever get a PS5 or Xbox I'll buy all the games on there too lol.

Hopefully we will get a true Persona 3 FES port or even better a full on Persona 3 remake with the best bits of Portable and FES combined. I know I'm pushing my luck here but I'd love Atlus to remember that Persona and Persona 2 exist.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Dumbasses don’t understand the game at all.

-Kanji isn‘t gay, he’s bi. This is rather clear in his interest in Naoto regardless of what he thought her gender was. As for him not coming out, why does he need to? He‘ll do it when he’s ready. Also, I feel Eurogamer is letting their own prejudices show by bringing up Kanji liking “generally feminine” activities. They are aware straight guys can like things like sewing, right?
-the game never says we’re supposed to agree with Yosuke’s homophobia. Shocker, a teenager growing up in a country usually governed by traditional conservatives isn’t the most progressive individual you might meet. As for his creeping on the girls, he usually suffers for it as a consequence, so again the game isn’t saying he’s right. Honestly, there’s a reason most Persona fans consider Yosuke a poor man‘s version of Junpei from Persona 3
-Naoto isn’t trans. She forced herself to act male due to the sexist older generation who would hurt her chances of becoming a detective. This is made blatantly clear and Eurogamer conveniently leaves out the “battling against sexism” angle. We are starting to see trans characters appear in Japanese media like the anime Zombieland Saga which is great, but I’m pretty sure it was extremely rare to see in 2008 or earlier. Ironically, Naoto fighting against sexism is progressive, and people trying to twist that away from her are kind of enabling sexists (fictional ones, but still)
You honestly didnt need to go this far bud. These weirdos are the types that want to take classc books from school and replace them with new pieces such as 'Bumming uncle Dave, a how to manual'

They claim progressive shite but do the most abhorrent things in turn. Hopefully it's a fad, like Punk.

John Bilbo

I have bought Persona 3 Portable on Switch and Steam. Also have picked up Persona 4 Golden on Switch. I already own it on PC.

So now I own...

PS4

Persona 5
Persona 5 Strikers

PS2

SWITCH

Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5 Royal
Persona 5 Strikers

PC

Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5 Royal
Persona 5 Strikers

Hopefully we will get a true Persona 3 FES port or even better a full on Persona 3 remake with the best bits of Portable and FES combined. I know I'm pushing my luck here but I'd love Atlus to remember that Persona and Persona 2 exist.
That's rather impressive

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Persona 3 is my first Persona ever and after several hours I really like it. The social aspect and playing the school year seem cool and I enjoy the battle system so far. Not sure how much time I'll want to spend in the dungeons long term, but we'll see. I'm prepared to invest quite a lot of hours into the game.

Last edited:

Rambone

So now I own...

PS4

Persona 5
Persona 5 Strikers

PS2

SWITCH

Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5 Royal
Persona 5 Strikers

PC

Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5 Royal
Persona 5 Strikers

I have the same issue where I seemingly end up picking up these games over multiple platforms then getting overwhelmed because I wish there was some sort of cloud saving system so that I don't have to start my game over and over and over again when I want to play on another system. I think I just stop playing them pre-maturely because I have decision paralysis where I'm not sure what system I should be playing it on because each have equal potential. I kind of like the Microsoft and Steam Eco-systems. If I buy Steam games I can play them on my PC and steam deck. With Xbox games I can play them on either my Series boxes and my Logitech G Cloud portable, but even this can be difficult to decide on which to play as there are still pro/cons. Oh and then there is the Switch, what a magnificent beast. ... ok, I'm hopeless.

What a dilemma, lol.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I didn't really enjoy Persona 4 too much tbh. Story was cool for sure but the gameplay was a huge letdown, specially compared to other PS2 titles of the time like SMT Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga.
Might go back to it and just play on easy or normal to at least experience the story.

Also yeah sucks that's P3P and not FES, guess I'll just play that one on my PS2.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I am very shocked by the low effort port of Persona 3 Portable. Not only are backgrounds at a low resolution with poor image enhancement, but everything has the washed out look of the PSP version. I am happy I had an opportunity to try it on Gamepass, but now I just want to play the FES version on my PS2 with cheats on my CRT setup. It is a shame as this could have been a great rerelease.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Couldn't they really be bothered just to add the cutscenes from p3fes to p3p?
Would it be that much work? There are AI tools that do amazing jobs at rescaling video, flawless on animation because it has much less detail than real stuff.

Petopia

Banned
Persona 4 is my favorite game of all time. I’ll basically buy it on any platform is exists on. I’ve played trough it roughly 10 times and will continue in the future.

Persona 3 is also in my top 10. Easy buys on both.
I only played 3 back in the day so I'm just saying who ever plays it first hand this gen is kinda cappin unless they were born during the 20 tweens.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Couldn't they really be bothered just to add the cutscenes from p3fes to p3p?
Would it be that much work? There are AI tools that do amazing jobs at rescaling video, flawless on animation because it has much less detail than real stuff.
The problem is they need to make anime cutscenes for both male and female MC.

SaiyanRaoh

Disappointing indeed Eurogamer
So basically, this royal assclown only issue is MuH RePrEsEnTaTiOn with a dash of gaming presentism. Fucking psychopaths. I'm so glad that for the most part, Japanese companies don't give a shit what these people will fake hyperventilate to next.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I am very shocked by the low effort port of Persona 3 Portable. Not only are backgrounds at a low resolution with poor image enhancement, but everything has the washed out look of the PSP version
4f1.jpg

I didn't really enjoy Persona 4 too much tbh. Story was cool for sure but the gameplay was a huge letdown, specially compared to other PS2 titles of the time like SMT Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga.
Might go back to it and just play on easy or normal to at least experience the story.

Also yeah sucks that's P3P and not FES, guess I'll just play that one on my PS2.
I have yet to truly enjoy any Persona title. Going to give these a shot again and see if it clicks. Probably not.

nikos

Been wanting to play Persona 3 since I finished P4G when it released. Never knew navigation was done by pointing and clicking. Sort of made it feel like a visual novel.

Still haven't finished Persona 5 Royal, so I'll probably put this off for a little while longer even though it was off to a good start.

Ar¢tos

The problem is they need to make anime cutscenes for both male and female MC.
They could get around it by only using the cutscenes if the player picked the male MC, it would better than nothing and people would understand with the game being so old.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have yet to truly enjoy any Persona title. Going to give these a shot again and see if it clicks. Probably not.
I've only played 4 and 5 and imo 5 is much better gameplay wise. It's also closer to mainline SMT games when it comes to certain mechanics, like demon negotiation, so that's a big plus too.

Have you played any mainline SMT game? V is a great entry point, and I'd recommend it to anyone who might like a JRPG that's 100% focused on the gameplay loop of explore> combat > demon fusion > repeat, without too much story getting in the way. Basically the opposite of a Persona game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Any indication of the differences between the two platforms as the XSX supposedly has the native version.
I've checked the game on my end and it's still outputting 4K signal on PS5 🤔 and games do show up as 1080p if that's what they are so I'm confused as people have said it's 1080p and XSX is 4K.
Or was this just an assumption and the XSX version is just XSX wrapper and is exact the same ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

night13x

Since Atlus likes to re-re-re-release versions of p3, they should call this version Person 3: Low Effort Version

Hopefully the (take with a grain of salt) rumors of a full on redo of P3 remake is actually true. It's the one Persona game that actually could use it.

Any indication of the differences between the two platforms as the XSX supposedly has the native version.
I've checked the game on my end and it's still outputting 4K signal on PS5 🤔 and games do show up as 1080p if that's what they are so I'm confused as people have said it's 1080p and XSX is 4K.
Or was this just an assumption and the XSX version is just XSX wrapper and is exact the same ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I believe it was verifiedm, however I booted up the Switch version and the Series X and honestly couldn't tell much difference like 6 feet from my C2

TGO

I believe it was verifiedm, however I booted up the Switch version and the Series X and honestly couldn't tell much difference like 6 feet from my C2
Seems like a Shadow of the Tomb Raider situation

Just a reminder how Atlus can kiss my fat ass for not giving P5 royal owners a free ps5 upgrade for 60 fps! I've bought both Persona 5 and P5 Royal (as did many others) so it's really shitty of them to deny us the ps5 version unless we buy their game a third time. There should've been an upgrade path at least since the ps5 version does come with all the dlc.

Shitty move from a greedy company!

Even the save slot menu is literally from the old PSP system UI lol. I didnt even think that was allowed to be on other systems lol.

Playing P3. Definitely more tolerable with Japanese audio.

Ozzie666

I remember trying to play Person 3 Portable several time and it just didn't feel right. I had to dust off the PS3 and purchase the game. I was engrossed and finished it first play through. It just felt like right. If I recall it had AI controlled party members, which didn't get me killed thankfully. But the free roam instead of the novel format was superior.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
This is going to be on sale in about a month but I'm probably still gonna buy the 2 pack now because I'm a fucking idiot.

Deep breath (deep breath, deep breath).

Never played P3P so girl route here I come.

bender

What time is it?

I think XSX is the only version that runs at 4K 120FPS.

Impotaku

Caved in and picked up 4 last night havent put too much time into it yet only upto point of 2nd persona activating but so far i'm enjoying it. The music is fantastic, it feels a lot darker than 5. Liking tv based theming of everything the characters look a little weird though their heads a bit too big making them look chibi.

Elysion

Banned
I’m not surprised that journos find P4 problematic these days. A lot of the character arcs are refreshingly non-progressive. Instead of the ‚be yourself‘ stuff you hear everywhere these days, the moral of the story in P4 is more like ‚the world doesn’t revolve around your narcissistic desires, and living up to society‘s expectations isn’t always a bad thing‘. That‘s not the kind of message that goes over well in our current age of infantilization.

Impotaku

Finished saving Yukiko now just levelling my social stats while I wait for her to recover. It’s not gripped me as much as 5 yet but I’m enjoying it so far guessing it gets really going later on. Thankfully because I played 5 first I don’t have to concentrate on tutorials for most stuff as the mechanics are pretty much the same. Gonna say now though the the soundtrack is fantastic, easily as good as 5.

Last edited:

TGO

To those with P4G can someone PLEASE confirm that the game looks good on PS4? Are the anime cutscenes low res and poorly upscaled?
There is some artifacting and it clearly not HD but it's okay.
Just like a DVD being Upscaled on ya TV.

Top Bottom