• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable & Persona 4: Golden |OT| Velvet Underground

Komatsu

eGxzfsD.jpg

persona3-ot-logo.png

MzSEN0C.jpg

TteNrYT.jpg

ivnHNgK.jpg

THE STORY SO FAR - From the original Persona 3 Portable OT

What if I told you there was a 25th hour, a time in which monsters and men with special powers run rampant that the general population experiences as nothing more than a blink of an eye? It may seem hard to believe, but you are about to discover a firsthand account of the reality and the danger of this mysterious hour.

Orphaned at a young age, you have spent your life gallivanting across Japan, bouncing between whatever city and school your relatives have decided to dump you for a time. On a dark evening in March, 2009, you find yourself in Tatsumi Port Island, a bustling coastal city where you will be attending the state-of-the-art boarding school Gekkokan High School. Aside from the odd boy who makes you sign a mysterious contract and the cute girl who pulls a gun on you during your first night in the dorms, it looks like you will be having an absolutely unspectacular junior year.

That is, until one night, when you find your dorm under siege by a hideous monsters. It storms the roof you and your classmate Yukari (the girl who pulled the gun on you before) have taken refuge on. Things look bleak, especially when Yukari is attacked when trying to stop this monster, knocking the gun from her hands.

You somehow know exactly what to do. You pick up the gun. You put it against your temple. You whisper the word Persona. You pull the trigger. Your life is changed forever.

After waking up in the hospital a week later, you discover what is really going on. This twenty-fifth hour is the Dark Hour, an extra hour that happens every midnight, unbeknownst to the general populous who becomes encased in coffins during the time. During this hour, creatures known as shadows roam the city and prey on unsuspecting victims; these victims are drained of all will and motivation and essentially turned into mindless zombies, a condition the media has come to refer to as Apathy Syndrome. But all isn't lost. A select few have the ability to perceive the Dark Hour, and are able to fight the shadows by using both conventional weaponry and Personas - a mysterious other side of the wielder that grants them superhuman strength and magical skills and is coaxed out by the faux-gun Evoker that all Persona-users carry. There is a student-run group called SEES, led by class President Mitsuru Kirijo, comprised of your fellow Persona-possessing classmates whose mission has become to explore the Dark Hour and stop the shadows once and for all. However, they've noticed something special about you: whereas most people only have one Persona, you, for some reason, are the Wild Card, able to hold up to twelve Personae within you. So not only do they want you to join SEES, they want you to lead them into battle.

Before you ask: yes, they do have a plan that involves more than roaming around aimlessly during the Dark Hour killing shadows. Every night, Gekkokan High transforms into Tartarus, a gigantic tower overflowing with shadows and answers to the mysteries of the Dark Hour, and every full moon, a major shadow linked to one of the major arcana of the Tarot deck appears in Tatsumi Port Island for your killing pleasure. This might not be a surprise, but there's probably a correlation between Tartarus and these major shadows, one that can only be discovered by reaching the top of the ominous tower and destroying every major shadow that comes in your path.

The stage is set. Midnight has arrived, and Tartarus looms in the distance. How you tackle the task ahead of you is your choice alone, and the fate of Tatsumi Port Island, Japan, and maybe even the world rests in your hands. Just dont forget: saving the world doesn't get you off the hook for not doing your homework.

P3-PORT-VIDEOS.png

B1bXvOj.jpg

QvMauga.jpg

ztogi8O.jpg

Bragr

Banned
So, is it worth it getting into 3 or should I get right into 4? I always hear people celebrate 4, but not so much 3.

Rac3r

Did it get a confirmation for p3 and p4g getting native ps5 Version?

Seems like Microsoft paid for timed exclusivity for the "next gen versions". They did the same for Like a Dragon (PS5 version released at a later date). Very strange moneyhat, considering how heavily aligned these franchises are with PlayStation.

Not sure if PS5 will get a native version like LAD though, as fidelity and technical performance should be near identical to the PS4 versions.

Fabieter

Seems like Microsoft paid for timed exclusivity for the "next gen versions". They did the same for Like a Dragon (PS5 version released at a later date). Very strange moneyhat, considering how heavily aligned these franchises are with PlayStation.

Not sure if PS5 will get a native version like LAD though, as fidelity and technical performance should be near identical to the PS4 versions.

Ps4 version will ne okay but the xbox version will probably get 4k which scales nicley with these old games. I already have persona 4 golden on steam and will probably stick to that. Would double dip for ps5 version tho.

Komatsu

So, is it worth it getting into 3 or should I get right into 4? I always hear people celebrate 4, but not so much 3.

P3 is my personal favorite - and it is very well like in the Persona fandom. 4 got an anime show (3 got a very well adapted film tetralogy, but it never came to the west), was re-released on the Vita, etc, so it got a lot more media attention.

Meh, just play the third one on PS2 or emulator, and get only P4 Golden.

P3P is superior to FES in almost every single way imaginable - the only thing missing are the anime cutscenes, which they could have included here but seemingly didn't.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
It has its fans, but it is not as polished as Persona 4. If you like a more foreboding and morbid direction it might be for you as Persona 4 is closer to a Japanese Scooby Doo parody.

Or... just play it on a PS2.

Remakes ruin games.
PS2 versions do not even let you control your party's actions directly. Kind of a deal breaker, when one misplaced elemental attack can give the enemy enough actions to kill most of your party.

P.S. I wonder if somehow they managed to have a player avatar instead of a cursor icon in this rerelease of P3P? Probably not.

Last edited:
Trying to decide which platform to get these on. Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game of all time. My brain views Persona as a PS franchise but the 1080/60 annoys me. I even got a Backbone in preparation for it but now I'm thinking maybe Switch is the best route. 4k/120 would be nice though on my Series X. I guess I could use Cloud for portable play.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Trying to decide which platform to get these on. Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game of all time. My brain views Persona as a PS franchise but the 1080/60 annoys me. I even got a Backbone in preparation for it but now I'm thinking maybe Switch is the best route. 4k/120 would be nice though on my Series X. I guess I could use Cloud for portable play.
You can give it a try on Gamepass. If you qualify for the $1 Ultimate Gamepass trial it might be your cheapest option. I think the console Gamepass plan is also only $10. If you prefer to play on the go and own a copy it will probably play just as well on the Switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Fabieter

Iam in the same boat. Iam in the boat ps4 or not at all but 1080 suck ass. Thanks timed exclusives

Graciaus

P3P is superior to FES in almost every single way imaginable - the only thing missing are the anime cutscenes, which they could have included here but seemingly didn't.
Now that is an unpopular opinion. There's a lot more missing just for a FeMC.

Isa

Gold Member
Hell yeah can't wait. I have but held off on starting up P5Royal on my SX because I wanted to go in numerical order. I've already played them but its been a good while. Nice OT!

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I have it on PS3 & PS2.
but I think we'll be okay with Atlus remaking it.
The tartarus desperately needs it.
Oh you disagree?
Just saying it hasn't aged well
I think it would be sort of interesting if you managed both the female and male protagonist as a brother and sister duo in a remake. You could have two teams concurrently exploring Tartarus as well. That could just be enough to sell it as most people that have played Persona 3 have only experienced one protagonist's journey.

Reactions: TGO

Trunx81

Tried P3P on my PSP Go after playing 120h of PS5. But maaaan is this a bummer. No cutscenes at all, and we had the game on a disc based medium. Really took me out of the story, as well as that I can’t run through the school and get lost in the beginning, like I always do in Persona games, until when a few hours later you know everything by heart.

If you loved PS5 and are looking for something to scratch the itch, play PS4G. But only hardcore fans should play P3P.

Vyse

Gold Member
Tried P3P on my PSP Go after playing 120h of PS5. But maaaan is this a bummer. No cutscenes at all, and we had the game on a disc based medium. Really took me out of the story, as well as that I can’t run through the school and get lost in the beginning, like I always do in Persona games, until when a few hours later you know everything by heart.

If you loved PS5 and are looking for something to scratch the itch, play PS4G. But only hardcore fans should play P3P.
PS5 was my first Persona game and my most played game of 2022. Appreciate your comments. Plan to start PS4G first.

BryceNobody

Or... just play it on a PS2.

Remakes ruin games.
No, P3 would legitimately benefit from a remake. The gameplay is dated and the early pacing’s awful compared to 4 and 5, but the actual core (story/setting/music) of 3 might be the best in the whole series.

It deserves a remake more than RE4, even though I’ll still buy that one too.

Last edited:

Metnut

Why should I care about a native PS5 vs PS4 version for a JRPG that’s over a decade over?

Not asking sarcastically, is there something im missing here?

Gonna replay P4 yet again even tho I beat the PS2 version many times and platinumed vita version!

HYPEEEEE

I feel a bit unsure about playing P3 as I like FES better than P3P...Wish they both being combined in this new version

Disappointing indeed Eurogamer
Lol

The moral insights of game journos are outdone only by their ability to die in tutorials

if creeps like that hate it that just makes me more enthused to play it for like the 7th time

Top Bottom