• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to think I’m ruining gaming because I like 30fps…

So I posted on Reddit how excited I was to know Kena is getting a 30fps mode and people decided to just crap all over me as if it’s my fault that they included that mode.

“You’re dumb if you like 30fps”
“60fps is always better, if you want cinematic, watch a movie”
“Can’t wait to play at 8K/15fps, that would blow your mind”
“I can’t understand how anyone can LIKE 30fps”
“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”
“Have fun with your juddery slide show”
“You won’t notice a difference between 4K and 60fps mode but you will notice a difference between 30 and 60fps”
“30fps has too much input lag”
“Nobody wants 30fps, why are you excited?”

Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like? They act as if it bothers them greatly that someone else out there likes something they don’t. How did we ever put up with 30fps games for the past 15+ years if 30fps is simply unplayable?

Also, their brains pretty much explode when I tell them I would cap my games to 30fps on PC for maximum graphical fidelity.

“Who cares, you can’t see all that detail once you’re moving!” — umm yeah I can and you know what else I can see? A blurry image at 60fps.

Why would the devs put the 30fps mode there if people like me didn’t exist? If 60fps is 100% always better, then why not just force 60fps on everything and not even give us a choice?

Even though it’s an optional choice, they still seem to think their way is always superior like they’re PCMR all of a sudden. Why did everyone turn into frame rate snobs over night? Where have the graphics/image quality whores gone?

/rant

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Framerate has always been important.
Now that the latest consoles use 60fps more than ever the truth is exposed and more and more people are liking 60fps over 30.
There will always be those who like 30fps and that's fine but 30fps is not idea esp after playing 60fps.

Why not have a 30fps AND 60fps cap?

Alebrije

30 fps..??

greta-how-dare-you.gif

Rawdirt

Neo Member
Ratchet and Clank I found myself flipping back to the graphical setting but other games I can’t imagine using the graphic setting over frame rate. I have noticed with 30FPS I can’t enjoy the superior image unless I’m still or very slow. I do like having the option to swap back and forth.

GametimeUK

Options are a good thing. If you like 30fps with higher fidelity then good for you. I massively disagree with you, but I'm glad your option is accommodated.

I thought we were collectively championing more options in games? Some people will never understand that others may have a different perspective or a threshold of what is an acceptable level of performance.

Enjoy things your way, mate.

(30fps sucks though) ;-)

Last edited:
I grew up playing games at like 1 FPS on my family computer. When you’re a kid and you spend $60 of your saved money on a new game that can barely run, returning it is not an option.

so now I could give a shit about higher frame rates than 30 but I do play most at 60+ as I have a great PC.

I mean, some people like things that are worse performing and less convenient. Slower internet allowed more time to reflect. Next day delivery doesn’t give you time to appreciate an incoming package. Food at the store doesn’t let us know the satisfying of finally getting a kill after a week of no food. 30fps has its uses.

ReBurn

Gold Member
So I posted on Reddit how excited I was to know Kena is getting a 30fps mode and people decided to just crap all over me as if it’s my fault that they included that mode.

“You’re dumb if you like 30fps”
“60fps is always better, if you want cinematic, watch a movie”
“Can’t wait to play at 8K/15fps, that would blow your mind”
“I can’t understand how anyone can LIKE 30fps”
“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”
“Have fun with your juddery slide show”
“You won’t notice a difference between 4K and 60fps mode but you will notice a difference between 30 and 60fps”
“30fps has too much input lag”
“Nobody wants 30fps, why are you excited?”

Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like? They act as if it bothers them greatly that someone else out there likes something they don’t. How did we ever put up with 30fps games for the past 15+ years if 30fps is simply unplayable?

Also, their brains pretty much explode when I tell them I would cap my games to 30fps on PC for maximum graphical fidelity.

“Who cares, you can’t see all that detail once you’re moving!” — umm yeah I can and you know what else I can see? A blurry image at 60fps.

Why would the devs put the 30fps mode there if people like me didn’t exist? If 60fps is 100% always better, then why not just force 60fps on everything and not even give us a choice?

Even though it’s an optional choice, they still seem to think their way is always superior like they’re PCMR all of a sudden. Why did everyone turn into frame rate snobs over night? Where have the graphics/image quality whores gone?

/rant
When Smokey Bear says only you can prevent forest fires he doesn't mean you literally. Please don't assume that first fires are your fault.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I can definitely play and enjoy games in 30 FPS, but I wouldn't glamorize it. If there is a way to make the game 60 FPS, then make it fucking 60 FPS. It's literally always better, including cinematic games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I span the camera around in the plaza in Splatoon 2 yesterday. 30fps is just rough as fuck. Rough as fuck. Yes I’ve played N64 games like Ocarina that dropped to 15fps. 20 years ago we were also using dial up and now I have fibre. Times change, 30fps is whack. Sorry OP.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
OP, I have a really exciting idea for you. Stop listening to the opinions of strangers on the internet. If you want to cap your games to 2fps, then do it, and tell everyone who mocks you to go fuck themselves. You'll find that it's extremely liberating.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
RE4 is one of my the best game ever

30fps

Silent Hill 2 is one of my the best game ever

30fps

Final Fantasy IX is one of my best game ever

20 fps on battle, 15fps on world map....

EDIT : Excuse me... I'm european... 25fps
to be fair though, CRT's have faster refresh rates so the 20 FPS in OOT felt smoother than it really was.

Warablo

You should probably state "I like graphics", instead of "I like 30 fps". 60 fps feels better to play. It may not look as good though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Somoza

I will not say that i dont like 60 fps or that i dont notice the difference. But the "if its not 60 it is unplayable" crowd, i dont understand them. In some games i even limit the framerate to give my gpu a break if its not a twitchy fps or fighting game. A dragon quest or final fantasy or some kind of adventure/survival horror like the resident evil games? I am cool with it at 30 fps.

Depends on the game, what kind of game it is, if its multiplayer etc.

Again, it is welcome, but i will not lose sleep if the game is capped at 30 fps.

People who plays at 30 in hot summers to not melt our computers. There are DOZENS OF US, DOZEEEENS.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
People who think like you are making gaming a little worse for those who don’t. Also, you are ruining gaming.

K2D

Banned
Not being able to go from 120 fps to 30 or even 20 fps is a myth told by weaklings. Happily able to switch between them and enjoy retro gaming. Might be jarring for like 5 minutes.

BlackTron

I would never choose 30 over 60 if I wasn't getting something else for it, like better graphics. For some genres I might take graphics over FPS like an RPG, but an FPS game? No way I am playing that at 30.

Choosing 30 over 60 as a preference without any tradeoff elsewhere, I admit sounds bizarre to me. Like preferring Game Boy over Game Boy Color.

Top Bottom