• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
This is the reason I open the thread. I keep wanting to read about some violent incident in the prison showers, and instead all I get is people arguing about vacated victories and the football program.

For the record, USC was the 2005 BCS National Champion and the best team of the 2000's. I'll pretend shit didn't happen with Paterno and that he's the 12th winningest coach ever, but fuck no when it comes to pretending the Leinart/Bush teams didn't win those games.

For what record?

Puddles

Banned
For what record?

The whole "is vacating wins a real thing or not" mini-debate that happened some pages back. At first I thought it was ridiculous, and that Paterno should still be considered football's winningest coach, since his team still won those games, but someone made the argument that it's all just a willing play-along, and in Paterno's case it makes sense to play along.

So now the inevitable happens: Sandusky tries to profit from this all by writing his own book in prison!

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...started-writing-book-in-prison/1#.UCx7w91lSBQ

Jerry Sandusky has apparently started writing a book -- his second -- while still waiting to be sentenced for sexually abusing boys during his tenure as an assistant football coach at Penn State, WJAC-TV is reporting.

My favorite part:

Citing unnamed sources, the Johnstown, Pa., station says Sandusky is being helped by his wife, Dottie. In 2001, he published an autobiography, Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story. The book may have led police to some of Sandusky's victims.

LaughingElfMan.jpg

In the book, Posnanski describes a scene at Paterno's home, two days after Sandusky had been charged with child sex abuse last November. Paterno's family and a close adviser were trying to explain to the Penn State coach that there was a growing sentiment Paterno must have known for years about the accusations against Sandusky.

The book quotes Paterno as shouting "I'm not omniscient!"

The book also indicates Paterno didn't comprehend all the terms in the report, asking his son what sodomy meant.

The book also details the long and frosty relationship Paterno had with Sandusky while they worked together at Penn State.

According to the book, the two were never friendly and late in Sandusky's tenure, Paterno felt the defense was not performing well and neither was Sandusky.

Paterno did not want to fire Sandusky because he was so popular in the community and with fans, according to the book. The book indicates that Sandusky showed interest in taking an early retirement in 1999, and Paterno encouraged him to do so and let his assistant know he would not be the next head coach at Penn State.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...aterno-quoted-biography-saying-not-omniscient

Alucrid

Banned
I just saw on the news that a biography of Joe Pa says that he wasn't aware of what some of the terminology used in the grand jury meant. Also that he and Sandusky weren't close and that he was unhappy with the job he was doing later on but was reluctant to fire him due to his prominence in the community.

Fucking LOL.

Oh. Fuck. Beaten so bad. Shitty local news.

CorvoSol

So brody knows the word "omniscient" but not "sodomy".

Aight.

I was gonna quip that one was in the Bible and the other wasn't, then I stopped, slapped myself in the face, and realized how stupid that sounds. Both are in the Good Book. In fact, I don't know how someone in his neck of the woods would be acquainted with the term "Omniscient" and NOT be aware of the implications of "Sodomy."

Branduil

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penn-st-riot-ends-aspiring-063520331--ncaaf.html

Stints in jail. Hefty fines and restitution. Clouded futures. The consequences of their bad behavior have been steep for the Penn State students who took to the streets and rioted in the chaotic aftermath of Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno's firing last November.

Perhaps none have learned a harder lesson than Justin Strine, a young man from central Pennsylvania whose planned career as an Army officer is over before it began - the casualty of his own split-second decision to put his hands on a news van, and a judicial system that considered him as guilty as classmates who did far worse that dark night in State College.

As the fall semester gets under way Monday, Strine has returned to campus, along with 15 other students found to have taken part in a nationally televised riot that caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage and embarrassed Penn State.

As he resumes his studies, nothing's the same for the 21-year-old from Hummelstown. He spent part of his summer in jail. Far worse: He's been kicked out of ROTC, his dream of carrying on his family's proud military tradition now out of reach.

''I'm losing everything I worked my entire life for,'' Strine said.
Strine's father, a career soldier, questions whether that's a just result.
''I had to stand by and watch my son plead guilty to something he didn't do,'' said Jim Strine.

Penn State sanctioned 32 students for their involvement in the riot, suspending 10 of them from one to three semesters and giving probation to the rest, university spokeswoman Lisa Powers said. Dozens of students were criminally charged, as well, and the guilty pleas have piled up over the last several months.
An estimated 4,000 to 5,000 people poured into downtown State College on Nov. 9 after the Penn State board of trustees abruptly and unexpectedly fired Paterno - the beloved football coach who led Penn State for nearly 46 seasons - and removed President Graham Spanier over the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse scandal.

What began as a peaceful protest of Paterno's unceremonious dismissal quickly turned ugly as a ''riotous mob,'' as State College police would later call it, threw bottles and rocks, damaged cars, and tore down light posts and street signs.

With the vehicle already on two wheels and going over, Strine placed his palms on the hood. Four seconds later, the van was on its side. But that's all it took for police and prosecutors to charge him with felony counts of riot and criminal mischief - the same charges filed against students who did the actual pushing.

''I always felt I was on a good path, and all the sudden I'm being made into a criminal. It was shocking to me they wouldn't even hear me out and let me explain that yes, I was there and shouldn't have been, but I wasn't this person they are making me out to be,'' Strine said. ''No one ever looked at me as an individual. They looked at me as 5,000 Penn State rioters.''

Poor baby.

TheNatural

My Member!
With the vehicle already on two wheels and going over, Strine placed his palms on the hood. Four seconds later, the van was on its side. But that's all it took for police and prosecutors to charge him with felony counts of riot and criminal mischief - the same charges filed against students who did the actual pushing.

''I always felt I was on a good path, and all the sudden I'm being made into a criminal. It was shocking to me they wouldn't even hear me out and let me explain that yes, I was there and shouldn't have been, but I wasn't this person they are making me out to be,'' Strine said. ''No one ever looked at me as an individual. They looked at me as 5,000 Penn State rioters.''

Terrified of being branded a felon, Strine agreed to plead guilty to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and criminal mischief. He served 30 days in jail - getting out Aug. 4 - and will either be on parole or probation until 2015.

The consequences didn't end there. Penn State suspended Strine for a semester, and he was booted from ROTC and will have to repay every dime of his scholarship money, a total of $34,000. He also owes $8,500 in court costs, fines and restitution.

So .. um .. why didn't he fight the charges? I think he has a point with his story about the charges, and apparently he think he does, but he accepted a deal that cost him a ton. He should have fought the charges.

Forever

Banned
He got off easy.

So .. um .. why didn't he fight the charges? I think he has a point with his story about the charges, and apparently he think he does, but he accepted a deal that cost him a ton. He should have fought the charges.
He would have lost, and he would be a felon, as he should be.

He'd barely have a case. He was there, his hands were on the van when it was pushed over. Very possible and likely he would lose.

The "I'm not really like that" defense is what people use when they've done something really really stupid and they know it after the fact. Especially in riots. I'll bet all those kids "aren't really like that" usually.

What a loser. I can see his Officer Performance Report now:

LEADERSHIP: Followed along with everyone else rioting, but didn't do anything really bad.

Bert409

As a State College resident, I'd love nothing more than for every single rioter to be tracked down, expelled, and kicked out of town. We could use 4000 less idiots.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Don't worry, Penn Staters, it'll still be sung at your games. Just not by your side.
Wow, now it's the official 'time to fuck with Penn State fans' song.

winter

People who get off on the misery of others really creep me out.

Me too. I am a Penn State alum and as ridiculous as the riots were, I still feel sorry for this kid. I feel sorry him because of the cultish culture of Penn State main campus, not in spite of it. I really do think the overwhelming majority of kids get sucked into the Penn State religion when they go to the main campus. I have met and spoken to a lot of Penn State grads who are intelligent people and they all exhibit some form of persecution complex regarding what's going on. I can't even mention my feelings on the current situation without seriously pissing off some of my friends they've been indoctrinated so bad.

Koomaster

Me too. I am a Penn State alum and as ridiculous as the riots were, I still feel sorry for this kid. I feel sorry him because of the cultish culture of Penn State main campus, not in spite of it. I really do think the overwhelming majority of kids get sucked into the Penn State religion when they go to the main campus.
ROTC is supposed to produce leaders. People who go all in on football cults and gleefully take part in criminal activity in support of same are not leaders.

Maybe, but either way, it's trashy. WVU is a fine school and WV is a fine state, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, but it seems like something WVU fans might do.

Heh. You couched that (heh, again) masterfully. Don't you go to Marshall? And as a WVU alum, I agree. Back in my day when we actually played against Penn State, I would have absolutely been an asshole and used this against them.

Kind of a weird defense anyway. No one person can roll a van over (unless they are the Hulk). It is the combined effort of a lot of individuals pushing. That's like any of the kids there saying; 'Well I didn't push over the van, I don't have the strength to do that. Therefor, not guilty.'

I have to admit that is a lot in court costs just to plead guilty.

I've participated in football post-game celebratory "mob scenes" before. I'm sure he wasn't thinking "I only put my hands on it for a second," but "Man, I can't believe I nearly missed this!". I would never have destroyed "personal" property like that (goalposts are another story), so just the fact that he put his hands on a car that was being overturned indicates to me he was fine with that outcome. Plus, I'm more inclined to forgive a positive over-reaction (I tore down the goalpost because I was celebrating and it's a tradition) than negative (How dare they say unkind things about our coach, I'll destroy this van in protest).

Heh. You couched that (heh, again) masterfully. Don't you go to Marshall? And as a WVU alum, I agree. Back in my day when we actually played against Penn State, I would have absolutely been an asshole and used this against them.

I went to Marshall, yeah. And like I said, I mean no disrespect to anyone, just WVU fans bring the heat HARD. In fact, singing this song is a bit too coordinated and tame for WVU fans.

It's funny, really. Marshall and WVU are the two major Universities in the state. One set of fans is known for being the nicest in the country, and the other is known for being the meanest.

Morgantown's campus is filthy, and they have a tram that looks like it was built in the late 70's Latvian school of architectural... One school you go to your mom's house after class, the other one you go out into a pit of debauchery where there is nothing but weed paraphernalia stores, bars, and young people who don't give a fuck about anything in the city because they're moving out in May. The city has almost no police presence, either.

tl;dr: I wish I went to WVU. LOL LOL LOL LOL

I went to Marshall, yeah. And like I said, I mean no disrespect to anyone, just WVU fans bring the heat HARD. In fact, singing this song is a bit too coordinated and tame for WVU fans.

It's funny, really. Marshall and WVU are the two major Universities in the state. One set of fans is known for being the nicest in the country, and the other is known for being the meanest.

Morgantown's campus is filthy, and they have a tram that looks like it was built in the late 70's Latvian school of architectural... One school you go to your mom's house after class, the other one you go out into a pit of debauchery where there is nothing but weed paraphernalia stores, bars, and young people who don't give a fuck about anything in the city because they're moving out in May. The city has almost no police presence, either.

tl;dr: I wish I went to WVU. LOL LOL LOL LOL

The upcoming game has my Facebook in a frenzy. The PRT was an amazing feature, but doesn't look or feel like they've spent a single penny on it in decades. It should be the shining jewel of the campus and criss-cross the town. Sad. The town is run by idiots, who thought they could stop student drinking by closing the seedy bar district on the outskirts of town, which only pushed the students into the center and ruined/drove away the businesses there, and also destroyed the former bar neighborhoods, which no longer held any reason for students to live in those slum apartments. I always thought there was too much police presence, but then again I got busted for weed, so, yeah.

WVU also won back the coveted Top Party School designation this year. I'm almost afraid to go back to visit.

Uh, sorry for the derail. Penn State sucks!

Pitt swallows.

The upcoming game has my Facebook in a frenzy. The PRT was an amazing feature, but doesn't look or feel like they've spent a single penny on it in decades. It should be the shining jewel of the campus and criss-cross the town. Sad. The town is run by idiots, who thought they could stop student drinking by closing the seedy bar district on the outskirts of town, which only pushed the students into the center and ruined/drove away the businesses there, and also destroyed the former bar neighborhoods, which no longer held any reason for students to live in those slum apartments. I always thought there was too much police presence, but then again I got busted for weed, so, yeah.

WVU also won back the coveted Top Party School designation this year. I'm almost afraid to go back to visit.

Uh, sorry for the derail. Penn State sucks!

Pitt swallows.

Yeah. I was in Morgantown a few months ago. It looked like half the buildings were abandoned/condemned. Over at the bottom of the hill (By the PRT) it looks like a lot of businesses were closed. In particular, this is this old beautiful brick building, like the kind you might see in Huntington/Charleston that is right in the middle of campus... and there is nothing in it! Just plywood and so forth. I'm surprised the University hasn't bought it and converted it to office space. Its' like a reddish brown, IIRC. Do you know the one I'm talking about? It's built on a very steep hill.

yeah, the PRC needs a aesthetic facelift, for sure. The carts look good, but the rails look NASTY.

Me too. I am a Penn State alum and as ridiculous as the riots were, I still feel sorry for this kid. I feel sorry him because of the cultish culture of Penn State main campus, not in spite of it. I really do think the overwhelming majority of kids get sucked into the Penn State religion when they go to the main campus. I have met and spoken to a lot of Penn State grads who are intelligent people and they all exhibit some form of persecution complex regarding what's going on. I can't even mention my feelings on the current situation without seriously pissing off some of my friends they've been indoctrinated so bad.

I'm an alum too and while I agree with everything else you say, it doesn't make me feel sorry for the kid. I know people excuse a lot based on age, but by the time you reach college you should have the sense to stay out of sports related riots. Even if you're in South hall going to Beaver Ave, participating in the riot is not a split second decision. A counter could be the indoctrination made him think "this is more than sports related", but I think it's okay and fitting to hold potential military officers to a standard that says they should ould see through that.

My main point is that while putting his hands on the car is a split second decision, putting himself in the awful situation was not, and I think the punishment fits. Even if the protest was for something good like the situation in Egypt, it wouldn't excuse violence/destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom