• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pelé, Brazil’s Soccer King’ has died

Draugoth

Gold Member
1000.webp

https://apnews.com/article/pele-soccer-star-dead-f2c5f7d2771b96dbd854cb025ab2563a
Pelé, the Brazilian king of soccer who won a record three World Cups and became one of the most commanding sports figures of the last century, died Thursday. He was 82.

The standard-bearer of “the beautiful game” had undergone treatment for colon cancer since 2021. He had been hospitalized for the last month with multiple ailments.

His agent Joe Fraga confirmed his death.

Widely regarded as one of soccer’s greatest players, Pelé spent nearly two decades enchanting fans and dazzling opponents as the game’s most prolific scorer with Brazilian club Santos and the Brazil national team.

His grace, athleticism and mesmerizing moves transfixed players and fans. He orchestrated a fast, fluid style that revolutionized the sport — a samba-like flair that personified his country’s elegance on the field.

He carried Brazil to soccer’s heights and became a global ambassador for his sport in a journey that began on the streets of Sao Paulo state, where he would kick a sock stuffed with newspapers or rags.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never knew anything about him (aside from being a great player) or saw any old footage of him playing. But checking his wiki, he scored over 700 goals (most in league play and the rest in international tourney matches)!

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rest in peace to one of the best football players ever. Right among the ranks Maradona when he passed away. It's sad to lose Legends like this but it also makes me happy when we have great players like Lionel Messi carrying that torch and the future is certainly bright with the up and coming Superstars All over the leagues.

Leaves a giant hole in the soccer world today and if we need a reminder of the power and emotion of football then we need not look far to the world cup that just ended to see how beautiful the sport is.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Pelé won a World Cup at 17, and not from the bench, but as one of the main stars of the event and of the final. 12 years later, he became the only footballer to win 3 World Cups. It’s impossible to understand just how out of this world the Brazil national team was in that age, as the game has changed so much since then, and yet Pelé was the greatest among the great. A true legend of the human sports. RIP, O Rey.

nush

Gold Member
He must have been one of the earliest people to have a video game, named after him

I worked for a games retailer i the UK that the buyer thought had got an amazing exclusive on this. Didn't wait for the reviews before signing the deal.

OIP-C.eLH7U3AZHpreapOlVtT28AHaKW

One of the worst rated football games of all time. This game was like ET as there were so many unsold copies and they could not even be sold through at £1.99.

Artoris

Gold Member
I worked for a games retailer i the UK that the buyer thought had got an amazing exclusive on this. Didn't wait for the reviews before signing the deal.

OIP-C.eLH7U3AZHpreapOlVtT28AHaKW

One of the worst rated football games of all time. This game was like ET as there were so many unsold copies and they could not even be sold through at £1.99.
I have the Atari version released in 1981 have never played it is probably made up of squares and circles

Gp1

Pele saw the challenger to his crown and couldn't take the tension.

Who?
Mbappe will have to pick up the pace and win the next 2 world cups. And Pelé club statistics will still be leagues ahead, unless Mbappe go for a bigger league and perform in a god tier level.

Messi won't come close, even though I believe that with this world cup he surpassed Maradona. At least this one was a semi legit/non cheating title.

And I'm not even getting at his qualities as a player. Pelé was leagues ahead of anyone in soccer and is only comparable with someone akin to MJ and Ali. Although in a more popular sport, globally speaking.

Just in the 1960, Pelé did more than 100 matches with Santos. At that time, Santos was a combo between the 90's Chicago Bulls/92 Olimpic dream team and the Harlem globetrotters. And playing in probably what was one of the best leagues in the world.

Anyone mildly interested in soccer should try to find the 1958 world cup games on yt. 18 years old Pelé in clubbing baby seals mode.

Last edited:
I don't even watch football and I know he's THE legend of the sport. a true icon through and through. RIP and you will be missed, king. 😔

Last edited:
Top Bottom