• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pedro Pascal finally admits he really isn’t The Mandalorian anymore.

ManaByte

During a roundtable discussion for the Drama Actor Roundtable series conducted by The Hollywood Reporter, Pascal was asked if it was true that he doesn't always have to be present when The Mandalorian was shooting, and he explained that "For a lot of it," he just provides the voiceover. Brendan Wayne plays Din Djarin on set (Lateef Crowder performs the stunts for the character while wearing the suit), and Pascal even described his acting as "better," before expanding on the reasons for his absence from the physical sets.

He was filming The Last of Us while Mando S3 was being filmed. So the two stuntmen play Mando on set and Pedro just picks up a phone and records his dialog.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can't say I'm surprised. Why would you get a handsome actor and keep him under a mask the entire season. Just have him phone-in the voice and call it a day.

Hell, for that matter, they can probably find dozens of sound-alikes for a fraction of the fee Pedro commands.

mclaren777

I was watching Mando S3 with my wife last Friday and I made this exact point – the show has never worked for me because I can't see the main protagonist act. I literally said, "it's entirely likely there's just a body double under that helmet" and my wife simply shrugged her shoulders.

She likes for the show for some bizarre reason.

I was watching Mando S3 with my wife last Friday and I made this exact point – the show has never worked for me because I can't see the main protagonist act. I literally said, "it's entirely likely there's just a body double under that helmet" and my wife simply shrugged her shoulders.
On the other hand, a show where a guy never taking his helmet off becomes such a big hit, makes me hopeful about a Metroid movie.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't think it's him admitting anything, many people were aware of the situation. I think it's actually pretty cool that Disney is able to produce the show this way. I just hope those two body actors (is that a term?) are getting paid well. Especially the stunt guy - it cannot be easy pulling off some of those stunts in that suit.

Spaceman292

Banned

She likes for the show for some bizarre reason.
What's wrong with that? They're not really on alien planets either. And Grogu is actually made of rubber.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
As long as he does the voice I dont give 2 shits.
This and the above post.

When you watch an animated film it’s the same principle. The character action isn’t the actor but the voice is. The combination of the two help cement the performance as real to the story. So in that sense if someone else is playing him under the helmet and Pedro provides the voice and the part that completes the character as Mando to the viewer who gives a crap.

It’s a pretty sweet gig someone else does the heavy lifting he provides the voice/acting and gets paid

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Is this good or bad?
acting jon lovitz GIF

You could also argue why even pay a big name actor. People watch the show because it's star wars, not because it's him.

Plenty of unknowns or even the stunt actor could say the lines. Isn't exactly heavy dialogue, he mostly acks questions or grunts.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't think it's him admitting anything, many people were aware of the situation. I think it's actually pretty cool that Disney is able to produce the show this way. I just hope those two body actors (is that a term?) are getting paid well. Especially the stunt guy - it cannot be easy pulling off some of those stunts in that suit.
Doubt it. A buddy of mine was offered the job of "being in the suit" for one of the doom patrol characters and he said it wasn't much above scale. No face/dialogue limits your bargaining power.

daveonezero

Banned
I couldn't care less. S3 didn't hook me though and still have a few episodes.

Also they don't do it over the phone he clearly goes into an actual sound booth.

I don't get why this is a problem. He needs to get over himself. I like the voice and he did a great job in the first season.
Then they should credit them and pay the actors behind the mask just as much as Pedro. If thats not the case, fuck Disney and fuck the show.
How do they do it in an animated show? Also they are in the credits.

Last edited:

Pejo

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Pascal complaining in season 1 because the showrunners wouldn't let him take his helmet off more?

I don't get Hollywood's infatuation with this guy. Zendaya too while I'm at it.

zombrex

You could also argue why even pay a big name actor. People watch the show because it's star wars, not because it's him.

Plenty of unknowns or even the stunt actor could say the lines. Isn't exactly heavy dialogue, he mostly acks questions or grunts.
I agree but it is thesame for every animated movie in which they pay for big name actors to do the voice overs.

mclaren777

You what mate?

So in turn you hated the original Star Wars because you couldnt see one of the greatest villans on screen act because he had a helmet on?

Even though I was born in 1981, Rogue One was the first Star Wars property that I was willing to tolerate, though I haven't seen it a second time so maybe it won't hold up. At this point, Andor is the only thing I've ever truly enjoyed from that universe. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ballthyrm

He has said that before. He has said that the the stunt doubles do the heavy lifting.

If they are doing the acting scene, they are co-actors I would say.

I agree but it is thesame for every animated movie in which they pay for big name actors to do the voice overs.

And it is a plague on the industry. They market it to the masses that way and usually theses "actors" don't really add anything and often look down on the medium.
I much prefer when we have some no name great voice actor like Kevin Conroy was at the time he first did the batman that are invested in their character.
It is one thing to get good actors playing in animated movies, but usually we don't get that, we get tier 2, tier3 celebrity that are using this to make money of the side.

Soodanim

Is this good or bad?
Neutral. Or, more to the point: nothing. This is a non-story.

Title/OP uses fake scandal wording as if it's a shameful secret he's divulged under pressure, but it's how Hollywood works. Even Mr Stunts himself Tom Cruise has body doubles. If Pascal doesn't need to be there, why would he be? He can go make money doing something else while someone else earns some money doing it for him.

FeralEcho

Who gives a shit,Its still his voice.We have literally one of the greatest villains in history of cinema doing the same thing in the same universe so it works.I much prefer this to Paramount Halo's Mastercheeks where he barely uses his iconic helmet.

Last edited:
So I started watching season 1 because of baby Yoda. The show is kind of shitty. It’s got decent production values but it is not very compelling storywise and there are certain details that do not quite make sense to me.

Pejo

So I started watching season 1 because of baby Yoda. The show is kind of shitty. It’s got decent production values but it is not very compelling storywise and there are certain details that do not quite make sense to me.
In my opinion if you don't like season one, it's not gonna get any better for you. Season 2 was 'eh' for me personally, had some good stuff, but season 3 was shit. For what its worth, I enjoyed season 1.

In my opinion if you don't like season one, it's not gonna get any better for you. Season 2 was 'eh' for me personally, had some good stuff, but season 3 was shit. For what its worth, I enjoyed season 1.
Season gets better as it goes along so I quite like the episodes as he goes to different planets. And I always enjoy baby Yoda being on screen. But there is some cheapness when it comes to the writing.

Top Bottom