• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PeakDo releases the world’s first-millimeter wave gaming handheld. $273-$324, 1080p, 3hr battery. Uses USB to remote play XBS/PS5/PC games lag free.

PeakDo released a warm-up video, announcing that it will launch the world's first millimeter-wave handheld. As can be seen from the video, the handle part of the handheld uses a transparent shell, and the keys are asymmetrically designed.

According to PeakDo officials, the device is a 60GHz millimeter-wave wireless handheld with a 7-inch 1080P 60Hz screen, an 8000mAh battery, a battery life of about 3 hours, and a stable connection within 30 meters. Support all PC games and PS series, XBOX series and other game consoles to screen projection. Compared with streaming, there is no delay and no compression, and no network or system is required.

The top of the handheld is equipped with dual Type-C ports, one of which is a power port, an HDMI input port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

IT House learned that the PeakDo millimeter-wave game console weighs about 380g, and the handle is connected by Bluetooth. The super early bird price is $273 (currently about 1963 yuan), and the crowdfunding price is $324 (currently about 2330 yuan).
40B93A554B554F2E4DCDA9588667B87778E61FD5_size439_w934_h679.png

43C9BA323508AF36D7DC14ED58EA71EBB7457FE6_size183_w873_h425.png

652C61469AEA8B1FFC44636A1B019CD6113FCADE_size328_w886_h449.png

This is one of the more interesting of the new Steam Deck & Switch competitors. Not only do you have the handheld itself which can be connected to a TV or monitor, but it can also cast from other devices.

As you can see in the video it looks like the handheld comes with a USB stick which can plug into the USB port of systems like the Xbox Series and PS5, allowing you lag free to play those games remotely at a maximum of 60Hz 1080P. it does have a pretty short battery life though with only 3 hours but that's par for the course with these handhelds.

The biggest feature being touted is the claim this will be the worlds first millimeter wave gaming handheld with a 60GHz mm wave "0" Latency as it says on the bottom image. This is why the remote connectivity you stream from your devices is practically flawless without any input delay.

The early bird price is $273, the kickstarter price is $324 which I assume means regular price. That's pretty cheap.

The handheld comes with dual USB-C ports, and if you look at the image it also comes with a lighting port, I'm not really sure what people will use them for but it's a nice touch.

I wonder if you can use the USB stick that comes with it on ANY console that has a USB port. That would make this a much more appealing consoles if it has wide compatibility.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
They should've made a device that use the HDMI port to transfer the image "if that is even possible" because
both XSX/PS5 have shitty remote play image quality wise

CamHostage

Interesting addition to the market...

Seems pricy for just a "monitor" (even if it's a handheld device with IPS screen). It's over 50 grams heavier than a Nintendo Switch Lite (Switch is 277g for Lite, 400g for Switch+Joycons), which is not ideal for long-term play handling. Mono audio. And that milimeter-wave dongle is freaking absurdly gigantic (I would rather it be a breakout box instead of sticking that big bastard on the back of my console, plus it wouldn't fit in some entertainment cabinets the way it just out so far.) Also, looks thin as hell, I'm sure I could snap it in half if I had a bad enough game session. And they could have made the controller dongles a little bigger and more comfortable since it's not really going to be a portable (though I appreciate the wings and the rounded grips.) Last complaint, I personally prefer symmetrical PS-style analog stick placement.

All that crankiness aside, this is something I don't have yet, and am interested if it turns into something people want. (Also, this makes me even more despondent that Sony still doesn't have a new portable, even if it was something like this or was purely a retro device with bonus Remote Play features.)

ksdixon

Yes, very interesting addition. I'm not sure I'd want a new psp to look quite so much like a regular controller glued on the side, but this looks perfectly serviceable (and cheaper!) for remote play in bed etc as it's own machine than cutting through phone's battery life, or laptop's battery on remote play.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was confused at first by the "plugs into the USB port" part. It plugs into the HDMI port and streams to the handheld. I'm curious how it's transmitting the controls, that part isn't really clear. Unless that HDMI dongle also transmits bluetooth and it can spoof PS5/Xbox controllers depending the system you select. I guess it's a cool idea if it worked well.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
"0" Latency WiFi paired with BT controllers ... :/

60GHz millimeter-wave ... Good luck using it in a flat/house with walls...

Last edited:

Mowcno

It's an interesting idea. Should have far better image quality than remote play as it's using wireless hdmi however 3 hour battery life for only streaming games is terrible. A very niche product.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
What is even a millimeter wave in this context. It seems translated Chinese.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
What is even a millimeter wave in this context. It seems translated Chinese.
It's a wifi standard that is not widely used since it's bad indoors, its short wavelength makes it so that even thin walls can completely bock it. But since it's a freq. band that's not widely used, you don't get interference and fast speeds... while in direct sight.

Killer8

It seems somewhat pricey for what it is. Would be interested in a teardown.

An OLED screen in this could make it an interesting addition.

fermcr

This makes little sense to me. With PC monitors and TV's available in the house, why play in a smaller monitor... even if you have kids?

Waste of money.

It's a wifi standard that is not widely used since it's bad indoors, its short wavelength makes it so that even thin walls can completely bock it. But since it's a freq. band that's not widely used, you don't get interference and fast speeds... while in direct sight.

So basically this thing's only as good if other devices don't suddenly start adopting that particular wifi standard? Otherwise it's as good as a plastic doorstep?

Not exactly inspiring of confidence if the lifespan of a device hinges on other devices not having a feature. I mean the concept for this is interesting, maybe just not for a personal home use gaming device.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This makes little sense to me. With PC monitors and TV's available in the house, why play in a smaller monitor... even if you have kids?

Waste of money.
Not everyone has 10 screens. In a house with 2 or 3 screens and 5 kids, alternatives might be attractive.

Also if someone has a ps5 downstairs, maybe they want to play it for a half hour in bed upstairs?

Last edited:

fermcr

Not everyone has 10 screens. In a house with 2 or 3 screens and 5 kids, alternatives might be attractive.

Also if someone has a ps5 downstairs, maybe they want to play it for a half hour in bed upstairs?

With the money this costs, you can purchase another 32'' TV.

If you have 5 kids, they are still going to bother you even if you are on a smaller monitor.

baphomet

This isn't working in any other room than the device your streaming from.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

So I right in thinking it has some kind of devise that connects to the HDMI port of your console and then sends wirelessly to the handheld ?

Quasicat

I’m really tired after working all day…the first thing I thought was: “I wonder if that’ll work well with the Switch.”

This isn't working in any other room than the device your streaming from.

30 Meters is around 100 feet. The average living room with a couch a couple chairs, and a TV is less than 18ft wide. You can take it through multiple rooms in the average house.

baphomet

30 Meters is around 100 feet. The average living room with a couch a couple chairs, and a TV is less than 18ft wide. You can take it through multiple rooms in the average house.
You have obviously never used 60ghz wireless HDMI.

This has to have a clear line of sight to the transmitter. Doesn't work through not just walls, but even objects.

You have obviously never used 60ghz wireless HDMI.

This has to have a clear line of sight to the transmitter. Doesn't work through not just walls, but even objects.

That's what the tool that comes with the "console" is for, to help it deal with objects. The handheld comes with an enhancer and an HDMI USB style stick. If all they were giving you was the handheld it's be a hard sell over $99.

Chronicle

Mobile/handheld are the future. The mobile gaming market is already on par with PC and Console combined. Expect to see more products targeting users accustomed to the handheld factor. Chinese manufactures have been trying to bridge the market for years. Valve is making an attempt with the Steam Deck.
They are not the future. They are now. Consoles are now. Streaming is now. I don't want to play games on a phone. No one here does. Gtfo with that shit.

baphomet

That's what the tool that comes with the "console" is for, to help it deal with objects. The handheld comes with an enhancer and an HDMI USB style stick. If all they were giving you was the handheld it's be a hard sell over $99.

Tool for the console? You mean the transmitter?

This company sells wireless HDMI kits. They're $200 for that alone. They just shoved the receiver in a Bluetooth controller with a screen.

Tool for the console? You mean the transmitter?

This company sells wireless HDMI kits. They're $200 for that alone. They just shoved the receiver in a Bluetooth controller with a screen.

They have a tool to help with stability of the transmission, it's on the source of the article on the right tab (in chinese).

As for how well it will do, we will have to see how it does in China, Hong Kong, and Korea first. They think there's a market for this thing and who knows maybe they are right.

Top Bottom