• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCMR to console, how do you adapt?

My gpu still works, but it gets hot over nothing. So I have locked the temp on it. So its not like my PC isnt working. The Image scaling helped a lot, but tbh I am afraid to use my PC too much.

Probably a dumb set of questions but sometimes dumb questions get overlooked.

Have you ever cleaned your GPU thoroughly? By that I don't mean just a quick blast with a can of air. Built-up dust can block the airflow in the GPU and cause temps to go up under heavy use cases. If you live in a place with high humidity dust can eventually coat components and the compressed air will no longer dislodge it. If you're comfortable with it, I suggest pulling the card apart to clean it (and checking for any signs of components that are actually failing). A can of non-conductive electrical contact cleaner and a soft brush then finish with compressed air.

Have you checked that the fans on your GPU are spinning when in use (I'm assuming it's a 3-fan 2070S)? Passive airflow from your case fans is surprisingly effective at low use. My 2080ti is a liquid cooled unit with a blower fan for the VRMs and in the three years I've had it I've never had the blower come on since my case is way overdone in terms of cooling.

Have you checked into getting it diagnosed? If it's something that simple like an on-board module failing a local shop could diagnose and repair it for a fraction of what the card's value is.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
i've been on PC for about 7 years now. i'm riding it out but once it's done i'm going back to console. PC prices are insane now and maybe i'm getting old but i can't be arsed with the hassle of getting shit working.

recently most games i play are with an xbox controller so i don't think i'd have a problem going back. my TV supports 120hz so if a game supports that i can do that. i think i'd be fine going back to console now. i was about to buy a series x the other day but i can't do it while my PC is still going strong. as soon as anything fails on my PC i'm getting an xbox. i'd rather pay £450 for a series x than pay for a new CPU, ram, motherboard, ssd, or gpu.
How exactly it's done?
With almost all new games having 60fps modes switch from PC is actually not hard at all. Difference is i was playing on Xbox controller even on pc so lack of K&M support doesn't bother me.
It's not just about the framerate. It's also about input lag. Some games at 60 fps have more than double the input lag of the same game at 60fps on PC. And mouse is the thing that most screams input lag differences.

Last edited:
My 3070 should last me a while longer, especially since I game on a 1080p ultrawide monitor. But, if I had to chose tomorrow between upgrading or just buying a console, I would easily go console with current PC part prices. So I really hope that by the time I have to upgrade, prices are down to normal (and some more ps exclusives come to PC hehe).

MikeM

Console isn’t bad at all right now. Every game I have played thus far has been at 60fps. Warzone, Gears and COD CW all have 120fps modes. Best experience yet imo.

Do people actually convert to console?

I couldn't imagine not having my PC as the main option for games and then I use my Xbox and PS5 as I need them. I think if I was without my PC i would be ok but I would have to ensure games are 60 FPS as a minimum and a decent enough port to want to pick it up.
I did. In 2020 graphics card prices were insane and my laptop was old. So I bought an XSX. I played more than half my PC games with an Xbox controller anyway, and an XSX-equivalent PC would've cost me like two grand. Easiest conversion ever. I still game on my laptop but not nearly as much. Mostly stuff that isn't on Xbox (Loop Hero, Vampire Survivors, etc...).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I did. In 2020 graphics card prices were insane and my laptop was old. So I bought an XSX. I played more than half my PC games with an Xbox controller anyway, and an XSX-equivalent PC would've cost me like two grand. Easiest conversion ever. I still game on my laptop but not nearly as much. Mostly stuff that isn't on Xbox (Loop Hero, Vampire Survivors, etc...).

I can totally see this tbh. The graphics card situation is an absolute shit show, but does seem to be improving.
I think I’m so used to being dedicated to all platforms I can’t imagine losing one lol.

Zeroing

Banned
I started gaming on pc too, but windows vista was a mess so things were easy for me to become a console peasant! I was young it was easy to adapt.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
And yet it's far better with m&kb. You lose analog movement, but that is not a disadvantage in any way...

Uh huh...

So if KB + M is so much better why are the controller players so far ahead in every recordable metric for ranked play? I think people misunderstand Halo's aim assist.

Seems like this is more based on opinion than the recorded stats page. It differs game to game, but Halo is controller built for sure. What is " a more fun way to play" might be up for debate, but sometimes controller is flat out more effective.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
my pc is way way more powerfull then my ps5.
but all i play on my pc is freaking loop hero and other 2d based stuff

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Uh huh...

So if KB + M is so much better why are the controller players so far ahead in every recordable metric for ranked play? I think people misunderstand Halo's aim assist.

Seems like this is more based on opinion than the recorded stats page.
Read the bold on my quote. Sorry if it was not clear enough.

JackSparr0w

Banned
You can ascend to PC gaming but you can't go back to consoles.

Your GPU is still more than adequate just wait until you can find a good upgrade for your budget.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
its not converting, its settling. You're a PC widow, your beautiful PC wife is dead, and now your just sleeping around with low hanging fruit, Missouri 7's who have seen better days. Just close your eyes and try to imagine those nice DLSS peaks and that smooth 120hz, it'll help make it easier to fake your excitement and pretend the situation is ok. One day you'll look in the mirror and realize your soul just isn't there anymore. You'll cry. Its ok.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Oh damn well I dunno what to tell you other than I feel like anything thirdperson is a sin to play without a controller, it just feels wrong on so many levels, I blame gears.
Other than maybe the movement on WASD/ESDF, how fast and precise aiming/camera movement, no need for claw grip and weapon wheels, tons of more buttons feels wrong?

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
This is also the biggest aggravation with PC gaming. Instead of expecting developers to actually make their games work PC gamers spend hours switching drivers and tweaking settings consoles. That's not freedom. That's paying someone for something while doing their job for them for free.

In all my time gaming on a PC I have never had to spend hours tweaking or pissing about with drivers to play a game. Anyone that does is clearly retarded and shouldn't be allowed near them.

ViolentP

My 2070s is about to bust and with the current GPU prices I would rather buy a series x than a new GPU at this point.

But people in the same boat as me, going fr pc to console, how do you guys cope with the change?

I gotta admit 30 fps is annoying, especially if it's a game where you have to aim and shoot. You get used to it, but easy noticeable when you switch between fps.

My biggest problem is the lack of keyboard and mouse use. More games are starting to use it, but I wish more games would support it. I hate being forced to use controller in shooter games. Thankfully newer games like cod support it, and also lesser games like ark and deep rock galactica, but there's still many games that doesn't support it.

So, pc master race converted to console, how do you cope with things that might annoy you before or after the change?
You cope by making a ton of sacrifices.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I think people misunderstand Halo's aim assist.

Seems like this is more based on opinion than the recorded stats page. It differs game to game, but Halo is controller built for sure. What is " a more fun way to play" might be up for debate, but sometimes controller is flat out more effective.
Yes. They do misunderstand. They think they are good at aiming while they have help of 2 aim assists.

It's not the controller that is more effective in Halo, but controller with 2 aim assists. Put 2 assists too on mouse and see what happens.

Last edited:

Danknugz

you don't.

I remember making the change back in the ps360 era and in the end its just a different public from the one i fit in. I'd rather stick with weaker pc while i can't buy a new one.

In your case, I think it'd depend on your gaming habits. Since you're considering a series x, i assume you have gamepass? I suppose that could cover you while ypu can't buy a new pc. Stuff like lower framerate or controller, you just get used to it.
exactly

Fredrik

It’s impossible, I need both. Usually play first person games on PC and third person games on console.

I started to use the stock market to afford upgrades, I never let future GPU money sit on a bank account. So far the Nvidia stock has easily doubled the money between the upgrades. Things has been bad lately though but they’re up +900% in the last 5 years.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't think I can go back. Even if my 3080 blew up...I would find a way. Probably just stick my old 1070ti back in until I could afford a new GPU.

I do have a Series X, but let's just say it's more of a youtube/crunchyroll device at this point. If my desk chair was more comfortable I'd probably just sell it and try for a PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom