• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCMR to console, how do you adapt?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
My 2070s is about to bust and with the current GPU prices I would rather buy a series x than a new GPU at this point.

But people in the same boat as me, going fr pc to console, how do you guys cope with the change?

I gotta admit 30 fps is annoying, especially if it's a game where you have to aim and shoot. You get used to it, but easy noticeable when you switch between fps.

My biggest problem is the lack of keyboard and mouse use. More games are starting to use it, but I wish more games would support it. I hate being forced to use controller in shooter games. Thankfully newer games like cod support it, and also lesser games like ark and deep rock galactica, but there's still many games that doesn't support it.

So, pc master race converted to console, how do you cope with things that might annoy you before or after the change?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Do people actually convert to console?

I couldn't imagine not having my PC as the main option for games and then I use my Xbox and PS5 as I need them. I think if I was without my PC i would be ok but I would have to ensure games are 60 FPS as a minimum and a decent enough port to want to pick it up.
Yes, I started with PC, here is console a luxury thing. PC you get basically by default.

My 2070s is about to bust and with the current GPU prices I would rather buy a series x than a new GPU at this point.

But people in the same boat as me, going fr pc to console, how do you guys cope with the change?

I gotta admit 30 fps is annoying, especially if it's a game where you have to aim and shoot. You get used to it, but easy noticeable when you switch between fps.

My biggest problem is the lack of keyboard and mouse use. More games are starting to use it, but I wish more games would support it. I hate being forced to use controller in shooter games. Thankfully newer games like cod support it, and also lesser games like ark and deep rock galactica, but there's still many games that doesn't support it.

So, pc master race converted to console, how do you cope with things that might annoy you before or after the change?
Well I don't know, most new games have 60FPS option?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I have been PC + nintendo for half of my life then Pc+Sony.The switch from kb+m to controller is hard but you'll eventually get used to it.Were'nt there hybrid half controller half mouse ?This may be a solution for you.
My main gripe is that even though simple as hell console doesn't have the sheer number of multimedia possibilites of pc.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

I doubt that anyone that are used to m&kb for shooters fully converts to controller and thinks it's fine. Good luck.

Last edited:

recursive

Maybe hold out a bit longer if price is the concern? Price cuts supposedly coming. Rtx3070ti are now going for $600 to 699.

The_Mike

Do people actually convert to console?

I couldn't imagine not having my PC as the main option for games and then I use my Xbox and PS5 as I need them. I think if I was without my PC i would be ok but I would have to ensure games are 60 FPS as a minimum and a decent enough port to want to pick it up.
I would, at least temporarily because of my situation with my GPU sadly.

Well I don't know, most new games have 60FPS option?
Now I know I sound like a spoiled PCMR troll, but if you've tried 140 plus fps then 60 fps isn't that impressive.

But aren't some games also that high if you prefer framerate instead of 4k?

tvdaXD

I went for PC first, console later. Besides, prices are dropping... I'd get a 3060 if I were you, easily better than a console.

The_Mike

I doubt that anyone that are used to m&kb for shooters fully converts to controller and thinks it fine. Good luck.
I am one of those PoS people who got a Xim because of that. But its just a hassle to switch my keyboard and mouse between xbox and pc lol.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
GPU prices are becoming closer to reasonable. Not all the way there, but closer to.

Do you really wanna spend $500 only to realise you would have been much happier spending a little more and getting what you actually want?

Larogue

You don't. I only play on console the games that are not available on PC (becoming extremely rare anomaly these days...).

Also the GPU prices bubble is brusting harder than the 2008 housing collapse, go check the prices today.

And your 2070 is too good to upgrade with 3000 series, wait for intel 6nm GPUs in June or Nvidia/AMD 5nm in Q3.

The_Mike

I went for PC first, console later. Besides, prices are dropping... I'd get a 3060 if I were you, easily better than a console.
Geforce 3060 costs 600 USD in my country, but okay a Series X costs 550 usd.

But I can pay for an series x throuh xbox all access, and its just about time before GPUs costs less, and I dont want to overpay for that.

ACESHIGH

Banned
You don't convert to console, just settle. To me an old ass PC with an FX 6300 will be always superior to the latest and greatest console just based on the flexibility of the platform alone. But I appreciate consoles from before the HD era. The PS2 and PS1 libraries can't be beat by any other console.

M1chl

Now I know I sound like a spoiled PCMR troll, but if you've tried 140 plus fps then 60 fps isn't that impressive.

Oh gotcha.

Not 140hz, 120hz as far as I am concerned, Halo Infinite, the Mass Effect collection, DIRT 5 and possibly others, but I haven't tried those. But for that you should have some VRR screen, because it's basically almost never locked.

The_Mike

Not 140hz, 120hz as far as I am concerned, Halo Infinite, the Mass Effect collection, DIRT 5 and possibly others, but I haven't tried those. But for that you should have some VRR screen, because it's basically almost never locked.
I am using a monitor with AMD Freesync, does that categorize as VRR?

30 fps? I've not played one single game on PS5 on 30 fps since I purchased it. Everything is perfectly smooth 60 fps. I play both pc and ps5 regularly and I have 0 issues switching. My only issue is with FPS games. On PC i hate it when I dont at least reach over 85-100 and I almost always avoid first person shooters on console for that reason.

Topher

Gold Member
It is a hell of a lot easier now that consoles are not stuck in 30fps. 60fps options are a Godsend on consoles, imo. I still game on PC for FPS, but I enjoy both my PS5 and XSX as well.

It does for XSX, but not PS5.

Last edited:

M1chl

Yes it does, Xbox had freesync back in like 2019 or so on both of the past gen models. So yes, you are set

You can also hook to certain games keyboard and mouse, if you so desire:

Last edited:
Just say no, consoles are for emulating.
Cat What GIF by truth

ReBurn

Gold Member
If I have to pick, I prefer a PC with a 1050 ti than a next gen console. The freedom of PC is just unmatched. With Nvidia control panel I optimize games better than these clown developers.
This is also the biggest aggravation with PC gaming. Instead of expecting developers to actually make their games work PC gamers spend hours switching drivers and tweaking settings consoles. That's not freedom. That's paying someone for something while doing their job for them for free.

HTK

Banned
More and more PS5/Series X single player games have 60FPS option so you're good there. In terms of multiplayer there are few hitting 120fps and some also support M&KB. I've played CoD Vanguard on Mouse and Keyboard and it's rock solid 120fps and it feels and looks great.

I think as new games come out and with crossplay being the norm you can expect a lot more M&KB support along with 120fps on FPS games specifically. I think Fortnite also does 120fps.

I've put off my PC build for 2+ years now because of what's going on in that space hardware pricing wise.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

yeah, I can sense your predicament here. I think you would be ok with a series X as a short term stop gap until new GPUs launch in 6 months or so? but there will be obvious situations where it wont be ideal and you may feel a bit short handed maybe. as long as you know you can let that slide then you should be fine, I would imagine?

Hope you can pick one up and its all good for you :)

The_Mike

If I have to pick, I prefer a PC with a 1050 ti than a next gen console. The freedom of PC is just unmatched. With Nvidia control panel I optimize games better than these clown developers.
My 2070s is 282% faster than 1050 ti., that is a big downgrade.

My gpu still works, but it gets hot over nothing. So I have locked the temp on it. So its not like my PC isnt working. The Image scaling helped a lot, but tbh I am afraid to use my PC too much.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This is also the biggest aggravation with PC gaming. Instead of expecting developers to actually make their games work PC gamers spend hours switching drivers and tweaking settings consoles. That's not freedom. That's paying someone for something while doing their job for them for free.

I can see how some would view that as an aggravation and want to avoid it, but I don't think we can say it is the developers job to configure the games for PC gamers. There are endless configurations that they cannot account for unlike with consoles. And it really isn't a matter of hours. I never "switch" drivers. Just keeping the GPU updated is enough. Tweaking settings can be as simple adjusting the resolution scale until you achieve the desired framerate. It really isn't that difficult. But if folks want to go deeper into it, they can. That's the freedom.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
My 2070s is 282% faster than 1050 ti., that is a big downgrade.

My gpu still works, but it gets hot over nothing. So I have locked the temp on it. So its not like my PC isnt working. The Image scaling helped a lot, but tbh I am afraid to use my PC too much.
Yeah I know, I'm basically saying that if I have to pick I prefer a PC even if the pc is weaker than a next gen console. Maybe you just need to replace the thermal paste of the GPU.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Not really what I'm trying to say, I can choose if I want 30fps, 60fps or 120fps, I can choose the resolution, which settings works better for me etc etc. On consol you're stuck with "performance" and "quality" whatever that means.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how you're playing on the PC. For me its quite easy to adapt between the PC & PS5 as I game at 4K/60 on the PC with a Series X controller most of the time, only thing I miss really is lack of ultrawide on console, If you're used to higher framerates then it may be more difficult.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've been on PC for about 7 years now. i'm riding it out but once it's done i'm going back to console. PC prices are insane now and maybe i'm getting old but i can't be arsed with the hassle of getting shit working.

recently most games i play are with an xbox controller so i don't think i'd have a problem going back. my TV supports 120hz so if a game supports that i can do that. i think i'd be fine going back to console now. i was about to buy a series x the other day but i can't do it while my PC is still going strong. as soon as anything fails on my PC i'm getting an xbox. i'd rather pay £450 for a series x than pay for a new CPU, ram, motherboard, ssd, or gpu.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I stopped playing a gatcha game and saved enough money to buy a new PC in 4 months... you just have to budget right.

Although I do also own an Xbox one X, PS5 and Switch... console and PC I feel are diffrent enough to want to have access to both. It's not about coping but just accepting how the games where designed, like you can play Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, but I would never use a M + KB because the game was designed for a controller and it shows, or Halo Infinite which was designed for the controller to aim for you...

You don't get Ring Fit on PC either, that game is amazing... more people should give it a shot.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I switch back and forth all the time with no real issue.
I dunno if I could go console only just because developers either make silly mistakes or choices that I disagree with that are an easy fix on a PC.
But I still game on console just because sometimes I have no issues with the game there, I like Switches portability factor and sometimes games are exclusive and I can't be bothered waiting to see if it eventually arrives on PC.

tvdaXD

Geforce 3060 costs 600 USD in my country, but okay a Series X costs 550 usd.

But I can pay for an series x throuh xbox all access, and its just about time before GPUs costs less, and I dont want to overpay for that.
Check MSRP of the GPU, shouldn't take long before it reaches or goes below... Also the next generation GPU's might launch this year, which will see them drop in price even more.
Anyways, PC can do so much more than a console can, so in my opinion the choice seems obvious. But that's just my opinion, do with that what you wish.

Shifty

Through necessity :messenger_winking_tongue:

My decade old PC gave up the ghost yesterday, so I've temporarily hitched my wagon to Game Pass (for the low cost of a pound, cheers Phil) while I spec up a replacement and convince myself that spending a few grand on something that'll last another decade isn't going to make the sky fall on my head.

Bojji

With almost all new games having 60fps modes switch from PC is actually not hard at all. Difference is i was playing on Xbox controller even on pc so lack of K&M support doesn't bother me.

avin

For me the worst part of console gaming is the very limited controller/joystick/rudder options, and the non-existent multi-screen and wide-screen support. I dip back periodically into gaming, this time I picked up an XSX initially. MSFS blew me away, but I ended up moving my MSFS time to a PC. The standard stuff is fine with a controller, I can adapt. But for "serious" gaming, by which I mean things that are more than games, consoles won't cut it.

avin

Last edited:

M1chl

Yeah in most countries where consoles are expensive,people settle for PCs
Nowadays it's not the case probably, because for some reason first cheap console was X360 about 2 years into lifecycle. PS3 on launch cost 20k CZK (in today's currency 910USD), which is sum, that you could have a nice PC back then. So it didn't really made any sense, especially when there was no support for PSN or XBL. Nowadays that's not the issue, so I am suspecting that console market share will increase quite a bit.

Guilty_AI

you don't.

I remember making the change back in the ps360 era and in the end its just a different public from the one i fit in. I'd rather stick with weaker pc while i can't buy a new one.

In your case, I think it'd depend on your gaming habits. Since you're considering a series x, i assume you have gamepass? I suppose that could cover you while ypu can't buy a new pc. Stuff like lower framerate or controller, you just get used to it.

Shifty

Then you dont understand what gaming is about at all
Relentless obsession to the point where other aspects of your life start falling by the wayside, eventually culminating in a hollow existence where the only meaning to be found is on the other side of an array of LEDs? :pie_thinking:

Because yeah, I can relate to that. I don't think it's very normal though.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I stopped playing a gatcha game and saved enough money to buy a new PC in 4 months... you just have to budget right.

Although I do also own an Xbox one X, PS5 and Switch... console and PC I feel are diffrent enough to want to have access to both. It's not about coping but just accepting how the games where designed, like you can play Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, but I would never use a M + KB because the game was designed for a controller and it shows, or Halo Infinite which was designed for the controller to aim for you...

You don't get Ring Fit on PC either, that game is amazing... more people should give it a shot.
And yet it's far better with m&kb. You lose analog movement, but that is not a disadvantage in any way...

Top Bottom