• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PCMag] Mapping State-by-State Tech Trends: Top US Gaming Platforms (Xbox Win)

zenspider

What is this Electoral College fuckery? The MS PR machine is really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here.

Waiting for the "women more attracted to XBOX gamers", "study finds XBOX gamers live longer, happier lives", and "How XBOX will put America on top [hint: it'show what you think]"

2033/48 states... so an average of 40 people per state. Gee, I wonder why this might turn out to be not-so representative!
Exactly. Ask 40 other people in the same state and results more than likely favor different console, then ask again 40 different people and results might favor 3rd console. Totally worthless survey. I understand if at least 100,000 perstate in different cities and towns than ok it's somewhat accurate then.

You don’t get to just shake your shoulder and say “fake news” prove what they say is wrong. Show us where the are factually mistaken.

1 - their results do not align with what is known of reality (MS would brag about unit sales every single days if they outsold the other consoles)... You would presume that people would buy in Xbox if they really "preferred" it

2 - the question is a bit strange - they ask which method they prefer - it could be anything, even remaining 360 owners can chime in with this question (it would have been nice to tie this with platform ownership numbers, this would have allowed us to compare with sales ratios and estimate the platform bent of the pool sample, and possibly apply some correction to better represent any over represented group).

3 - We also need to know if the total number for each platform is an average of all the states or if it has been weighted according their population, or if it's the total tallies (which may work for a true "national" number, but depending on where respondents were could skew the results).

As you see it's pretty easy to miss the mark on polls like this, you just have to be clueless, or short on time... Or looking for some traffic... or looking for a job in PR for your favorite corporation. So yeah, fake news, stupid journalist, etc.

Just note how most polls can't be trusted anymore, they can't reliably be done over the phone, and online can be controlled as much, so the samples are bound to skew one way or another.

636956-top-us-gaming-platforms-by-state.jpg

https://www.pcmag.com/news/367201/mapping-state-by-state-tech-trends-top-us-gaming-platforms
PCMag asked gamers across the country which gaming method they prefer between the top three console-makers—Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox—or PC games.

This map marks the second of an ongoing series breaking down a number of tech trends across the country. PCMag surveyed 2,033 US consumers in February on a variety of topics, gathering additional demographic data including the respondents' home states. Of the majority of respondents who identified as gamers, 31 percent chose Xbox, 28 percent prefer PlayStation, 21 percent are Nintendo fans, and 20 percent are primarily PC gamers.

Breaking down those numbers state-by-state, a whopping 27 states had more respodents who chose Microsoft's Xbox One and Xbox One Xas their preferred console. Sony's PlayStation 4 and Nintendo consoles headlined by the portable Nintendo Switch each took the top spot in 10 states. PC gaming was the most popular in only three states: Montana, Rhode Island, and West Virginia

Explains a lot really. With a bad reveal, and a bad 2014 being $100 more than the competition for most of it, and some other issues the gap in the US between XBO and PS4 isn't that big. No blowout like the 360 against the PS3, even though some forums made it seem that way at times.

If things were handled better it's likely the Xbox One would be ahead. Not to mention the Goodwill momentum with game pass, Xbox One X, and not censoring games.

27 states went to Xbox and even if you were to give it to another in the close call states they would still win.

If anything, this shows that if Xbox does things right next gen then the US will be won once again. Now that the Xbox One is in a better place and the last of Mattricks DRM influence is gone, all Phil has to do is not screw up with the next console.

Can't wait for E3!

Dabaus

Banned
What is the current sales split in the US? Anybody know? I was under the impression ps4 was ahead by like 4 million.

What is the current sales split in the US? Anybody know? I was under the impression ps4 was ahead by like 4 million.

Not 4, but high 3's.

After the first year and s half and it being the end if the gen there's few options to close it.

But at least they'll do better than 360/PS3 where the 360 was almost 20 million ahead. Which considering the attacks on Xbox this gen you'd think the US gap was bigger.

If anything it shows the US is still in play next gen.

Dabaus

Banned
Not 4, but high 3's.

After the first year and s half and it being the end if the gen there's few options to close it.

But at least they'll do better than 360/PS3 where the 360 was almost 20 million ahead. Which considering the attacks on Xbox this gen you'd think the US gap was bigger.

If anything it shows the US is still in play next gen.

All things considered that's not a terrible result for xbox. Thing is, XB1S has been on discount so deep and so often one has to wonder what the sales split would look like if sony was more aggressive in price cuts and bundles. My guess is sony is content to be roughly even with xbox in the states and outsell them everywhere else.

leo-j

Cool, according to NPD PS4 has millions of more consoles out than the xbox in the U.S, and is outselling the xbox despite being much more expensive on average in the U.S.

All things considered that's not a terrible result for xbox. Thing is, XB1S has been on discount so deep and so often one has to wonder what the sales split would look like if sony was more aggressive in price cuts and bundles. My guess is sony is content to be roughly even with xbox in the states and outsell them everywhere else.

You try a bit to hard to bash Xbox in every Xbox thread.

There had been many occasions, were even for a couple months, PS4 had price cuts the last 4 years, in some cases selling out before hand and fast shipping to stores to replace stock" but even then it didn't blow Xbox sales out the water because it only won 100-150k in many instances.

Remember the huge PS4 November with it's biggest Black Friday $199? That was a big month. Yet Xbox also sold over 1 million and PS4 only best it by 400-500k.

Thing is people in the US are still buying Xboxes in good numbers just not as much as the PS4. PS4 never had a 360 blowout level month or managed to quickly widen the gap, it's been slow from the start.

If Mattricks was still in charge not adapting to the market I'm sure the PS4 would have got a 10+ million gap in the US, but fortunately for Xbox the teams changed.

This isn't the PS2 and people seem to forget that. PS4 actually had competition. Especially in the US where the 360 sold near 45 million units compared to 25 or so PS3's.

Well yeah, American company. The others are Japanese companies with a much larger international stylized product. Why else do jrpgs do so poorly on Xbox? Wrong audience.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Were talking consoles buddy not Windows

wake up

"PCMag asked gamers across the country which gaming method they prefer... "

We're talking which platform gamers prefer buddy in a poll not sales wake up. See what I did there? This poll had nothing to do with sales like you implied it did, and neither did my statement.

(Further more my statement was about cash in the bank not Windows ie 'numbers' equals 'cash' ah forget it :messenger_grinning_squinting:)

Well yeah, American company. The others are Japanese companies with a much larger international stylized product. Why else do jrpgs do so poorly on Xbox? Wrong audience.[/QUOTE

Jrpgs generally don't do well at all outside portables. You have a few AAA exceptions and the occasional outlier though.(outside Japan of course)]

Dabaus

Banned
You try a bit to hard to bash Xbox in every Xbox thread.

There had been many occasions, were even for a couple months, PS4 had price cuts the last 4 years, in some cases selling out before hand and fast shipping to stores to replace stock" but even then it didn't blow Xbox sales out the water because it only won 100-150k in many instances.

Remember the huge PS4 November with it's biggest Black Friday $199? That was a big month. Yet Xbox also sold over 1 million and PS4 only best it by 400-500k.

Thing is people in the US are still buying Xboxes in good numbers just not as much as the PS4. PS4 never had a 360 blowout level month or managed to quickly widen the gap, it's been slow from the start.

If Mattricks was still in charge not adapting to the market I'm sure the PS4 would have got a 10+ million gap in the US, but fortunately for Xbox the teams changed.

This isn't the PS2 and people seem to forget that. PS4 actually had competition. Especially in the US where the 360 sold near 45 million units compared to 25 or so PS3's.

That was one month with limited supply. The x1s was also 199 if I remember correctly. Wasn't the 1s also 199 almost all of December and still got outsold?

Three

I see you're at it, and possibly.

I just don't think you're going to get any type of accuracy with that low of a number, when you break it down by 50 states. That's just about 40 per state or so.

How about several thousand per state, instead of such a low concentration of a number?

Just seems like a really small number to break down through all Continental States.

40 people per state average plus 1% difference between a lot of states as mentioned in the article means a possible half a person difference. Yes they need a bigger sample size, much bigger, but this is PCMag readers so they are limited to number of readers who respond. Also hilarious that PCMag readers didn't vote PC but I guess that is because of how they were asked or...

Last edited:
That was one month with limited supply. The x1s was also 199 if I remember correctly. Wasn't the 1s also 199 almost all of December and still got outsold?

This post is part of the issue here, you basically ignored my post talking about over the last 4 years having price cuts (and bundles too) and never dealing a massive blow, hence the small us gap, and instead took a portion of it and spun it to push a narrative.

You don't like Xbox then don't like Xbox but at least discuss honestly.

Dabaus

Banned
This post is part of the issue here, you basically ignored my post talking about over the last 4 years having price cuts (and bundles too) and never dealing a massive blow, hence the small us gap, and instead took a portion of it and spun it to push a narrative.

You don't like Xbox then don't like Xbox but at least discuss honestly.

Did you ignore my point that the 1s has been frequently and often deeply discounted and that sony has barely budged on price in the 6 years its been out? Then you cherry pick one month where playstation decides to have a good deal and that some how counts more than all the give away deals Microsoft has had for the 1s. I don't get what your upset about here. If I was paid to astroturf for a dud like the xbox one I guess id be upset all the time too.

Did you ignore my point

No but you ignored all of mine in the last post and in this one, to paint a narrative instead of honestly responding.

BTW many of the PS4 deals over the years took place when the Xbox wasn't discounted. There's was no way at all in anyway that the PS4 was ever going to have a 360 like gap with the XBO in the US. As much as people don't want to admit it, people actually did buy Xbox Ones, not as much as the PS4, but at levels that kept the cap at 3ish million or so instead of near 20 like last gen. The only way that was going to ever happen is if more poor decisions, along with Mattrick staying at the helm, happened for maybe another year or 2 years.

Which was the entire point in the first place, stay focused.

lynux3

I guess if you can't win in physical unit sales you can always fall back to the mind share of 2,033 respondents of PCMag's survey. This might be a new metric for Microsoft to use in their next earnings report.

What is this Electoral College fuckery? The MS PR machine is really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here.

Waiting for the "women more attracted to XBOX gamers", "study finds XBOX gamers live longer, happier lives", and "How XBOX will put America on top [hint: it'show what you think]"

Uh, PCMAG isn't exactly a Xbox PR site...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The console that comes in 3rd place in sales virtually every month in the US is the most popular in the US. Sounds legit

Just because you bought it doesn't mean you're it gives the best experience. It's not a sales chart. It just shows a chart of opinions, generalized. To be honest, Xbox is giving the best experience right now. Maybe not the best games, but exclusives are not all we should be mentioning here. Xbox has a more ergonomic controller, the best services like gamepass and the best network.

Sony has been hacked in the past, the controller dies too quickly, the network has been made fun of due to how often it's down. They have a controversial censorship effort going on right now. They aren't communicating well though promising they will as recent as weeks ago. The back and forth of yes crossplay to this game but not to this game is ridiculous and their explanations are more ridiculous. That all said, they have the best exclusives and that's enough for people to buy the system. By no means does it mean Playstation is the best place to play, especially when the vast majority of games played on either system are multiplat.

The fact that anybody is surprised by this is astonishing to me.

Last edited:

lynux3

USA is xbox land. But in the world, Sony and Nintendo are doing way better.
Seeing that PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 4 are all selling better than their Xbox counterpart I can't see how you think this is true. Xbox has literally only sold better once with the Xbox 360. USA Xbox land, indeed. :messenger_bicep:

zenspider

Uh, PCMAG isn't exactly a Xbox PR site...

1) They are all extensions of corporate Public Relations departments.

2) Even giving the largest possible benefit of the doubt, this is a ridiculous way to manufacture meaningful information. It barely work for the US electorate, it sure as hell doesn't work for console warz.

ethomaz

Banned
In the US they are only a couple million units off from each other and maybe there are higher concentrations of PS4 sales in certain states and Xbox’s in others. It is a big country with various tastes throughout it.

It’s also asking this question now, which means most people have likely made their choice and aren’t buying new boxes, and many households have multiple systems from different manufacturers. Maybe there are 2 ps4s and 1 Xbox in the house but the person they asked happens to prefer Xbox.

It’s an opinion chart and not a sales one, there are too many variables to consider when trying to deduce why pcmag got the answers they got.
How many is a couple of millions?

Top Bottom