• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PCMag] Mapping State-by-State Tech Trends: Top US Gaming Platforms (Xbox Win)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.pcmag.com/news/367201/mapping-state-by-state-tech-trends-top-us-gaming-platforms

636956-top-us-gaming-platforms-by-state.jpg

PCMag asked gamers across the country which gaming method they prefer between the top three console-makers—Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox—or PC games.
This map marks the second of an ongoing series breaking down a number of tech trends across the country. PCMag surveyed 2,033 US consumers in February on a variety of topics, gathering additional demographic data including the respondents' home states. Of the majority of respondents who identified as gamers, 31 percent chose Xbox, 28 percent prefer PlayStation, 21 percent are Nintendo fans, and 20 percent are primarily PC gamers.

Breaking down those numbers state-by-state, a whopping 27 states had more respodents who chose Microsoft's Xbox One and Xbox One X as their preferred console. Sony's PlayStation 4 and Nintendo consoles headlined by the portable Nintendo Switch each took the top spot in 10 states. PC gaming was the most popular in only three states: Montana, Rhode Island, and West Virginia.

Many of those states were close calls. PlayStation topped Nintendo by one percentage point in Arizona, and Xbox beat PlayStation by 2 percent in California. In Virginia, Nintendo beat out Xbox by 1 percent. Some states had even tighter results than that, with Nintendo beating PlayStation by less than 1 percent in Utah, besting Xbox by less than 1 percent in Indiana, and PC gaming by less than 1 percent in Iowa.

Across key demographics, women preferred Xbox and Nintendo (they were also more likely not to have a favorite console and not to identify as gamers) whereas men preferred PlayStation and PC gaming. Breaking down by age range, the highest percentages of those who preferred Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo were all in the 25-to-34 age range.

Thanks mods for the title change:lollipop_raising_hand:

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned
The console that comes in 3rd place in sales virtually every month in the US is the most popular in the US. Sounds legit

Kagey K

Banned
The console that comes in 3rd place in sales virtually every month in the US is the most popular in the US. Sounds legit

In the US they are only a couple million units off from each other and maybe there are higher concentrations of PS4 sales in certain states and Xbox’s in others. It is a big country with various tastes throughout it.

It’s also asking this question now, which means most people have likely made their choice and aren’t buying new boxes, and many households have multiple systems from different manufacturers. Maybe there are 2 ps4s and 1 Xbox in the house but the person they asked happens to prefer Xbox.

It’s an opinion chart and not a sales one, there are too many variables to consider when trying to deduce why pcmag got the answers they got.

Last edited:

bukowski81

https://www.pcmag.com/news/367201/mapping-state-by-state-tech-trends-top-us-gaming-platforms

636956-top-us-gaming-platforms-by-state.jpg

PCMag asked gamers across the country which gaming method they prefer between the top three console-makers—Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox—or PC games.
This map marks the second of an ongoing series breaking down a number of tech trends across the country. PCMag surveyed 2,033 US consumers in February on a variety of topics, gathering additional demographic data including the respondents' home states. Of the majority of respondents who identified as gamers, 31 percent chose Xbox, 28 percent prefer PlayStation, 21 percent are Nintendo fans, and 20 percent are primarily PC gamers.

Breaking down those numbers state-by-state, a whopping 27 states had more respodents who chose Microsoft's Xbox One and Xbox One X as their preferred console. Sony's PlayStation 4 and Nintendo consoles headlined by the portable Nintendo Switch each took the top spot in 10 states. PC gaming was the most popular in only three states: Montana, Rhode Island, and West Virginia.

Many of those states were close calls. PlayStation topped Nintendo by one percentage point in Arizona, and Xbox beat PlayStation by 2 percent in California. In Virginia, Nintendo beat out Xbox by 1 percent. Some states had even tighter results than that, with Nintendo beating PlayStation by less than 1 percent in Utah, besting Xbox by less than 1 percent in Indiana, and PC gaming by less than 1 percent in Iowa.

Across key demographics, women preferred Xbox and Nintendo (they were also more likely not to have a favorite console and not to identify as gamers) whereas men preferred PlayStation and PC gaming. Breaking down by age range, the highest percentages of those who preferred Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo were all in the 25-to-34 age range.
They need ASAP someone that teaches them statistics and statistical sampling cause their results are the exact opposite than reality. Every month since forever switch and ps4 outsells xbox.

This article is bullshit. Might have to put IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo on ignore as well
I bet you feel empowered seeking validation and attention while you announce that you're putting people on ignore. If you actually didn't want to read peoples posts you would just do it, not announce it.

Take a hike.

tryDEATH

In the USA PS vs Xbox was always close and leaning more towards Xbox, it is Europe and Asia where PS make up their huge difference in total sales. The X1X was basically custom made for the USA with BR and 4K capabilities because it is so affordable in the USA and is the largest market for both of those things.

Rayderism

Ok. But I'm Playstation guy. Never owned any version of X-Box, but every version of Playstation, even though I live in a XB-centric state.

I'm not fussed about it. We're still all gamers and that's what really matters.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Better content. Actual discussion instead of just copying links and posting it here on Neogaf.

I think the general idea with things like these are to post the information without any added editorial or thoughts in order to not bias the thread before the discussion begins.

The old way of inserting your snarky quote or opinion in the OP before the topic got underway seemed to lead to nothing but garbage threads.

I much prefer it this way, but that’s only my opinion.

Pallas

Gold Member
Interesting chart, Xbox and Switch both seem to have several states that are connected while the PS4 outside of Arizona and Nevada are very scattered.

I wonder why more females(when they were asked) prefer Xbox and switch?

Kagey K

Banned
Interesting chart, Xbox and Switch both seem to have several states that are connected while the PS4 outside of Arizona and Nevada are very scattered.

I wonder why more females(when they were asked) prefer Xbox and switch?
This one is hard to extrapolate but I’m going to take a few shots in the dark with it.

They say in the article most didn’t identify as gamers, meaning they don’t play games, don’t game often or don’t game at all.

Perhaps in their eyes the games on Xbox and Switch are more family oriented, or had more games they feel they are likely to play. For some of them perhaps all they know about the consoles, is what they see through the Walmart glass as they wait for a person to come get the game their kids want.

Or maybe they have hardcore PS4 boyfriends and hate the console because he’s always ignoring her for some more Bloodborne, so she becomes biased because it looks like a game she’d hate and it takes him away from her.

Just two thoughts as to why they may have gotten those answers.

Kagey K

Banned
Xbox 2020
You joke, but maybe it’s a sign of mindshare shifting.

Maybe all that Fortnite crossplay stuff did more damage to the public perception, then we in the shield thought it did,

I wish there was a 2017 comparison so we could see how the opinions have shifted, or not shifted for that matter.

onQ123

Maybe all that Fortnite crossplay stuff did more damage to the public perception, then we in the shield thought it did,

I wish there was a 2017 comparison so we could see how the opinions have shifted, or not shifted for that matter.

Spoiler

It hasn't

Sparda

Banned

More like this article is bullshit.

Kagey K

Banned
More like this article is bullshit.
Prove it.

Everyone comes in wanting to dismiss shit, well fucking dismiss it.

Show us the work.

You don’t get to just shake your shoulder and say “fake news” prove what they say is wrong. Show us where the are factually mistaken.

If you want to have a strong opinion you have to back it up with strong facts. Like real ones.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Only 2,033 took the survey.

Congratulations on being number one I guess.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Wouldn't the NPD sales every month, which have remained consistent, be evidence enough?

I’m confused..... How does NPD have any bearing on this?

Am I missing something? Is the title what is the best selling console in the US?

Even if it was... Does NPD break it down state by state? Maybe the map would look similar....... hmmm?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The sales trends are not reflective of supposed mindshare this is claiming?
Check my edit... But in the US I’d say no.

It tells us mindset now vs historical sales.

And neither consider some variables.

For instance how many sales of new consoles were trade ins or trade ups every time a “custom” console comes around? Granted there haven’t been many lately, but before the pro it felt like there were a lot.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Only 2,033 people took the survey it says it in the article.

How does it show real data if only 2,033 people took it that makes no sense to me. Its number one out of the 2,033 not every gamer in America

Last edited:
I'm not from US but this isn't telling a lot. You could have all Xbox states outselling competitors by small margin (example XB-28% PS-25% NS-25% PC-22%) but in other states having others bigger diferanse against Xbox (example XB-8% PS-32% NS-30% PC-30%).

Without actual numbers or at least ratios this data isn't painting a full picture.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Check my edit... But in the US I’d say no.

It tells us mindset now vs historical sales.

And neither consider some variables.

For instance how many sales of new consoles were trade ins or trade ups every time a “custom” console comes around? Granted there haven’t been many lately, but before the pro it felt like there were a lot.

I see you're edit now, and possibly.

I just don't think you're going to get any type of accuracy with that low of a number, when you break it down by 50 states. That's just about 40 per state or so.

So 50 was the tipping point? Or when is it enough without asking everybody?

How about several thousand per state, instead of such a low concentration of a number?

Just seems like a really small number to break down through all Continental States.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not from US but this isn't telling a lot. You could have all Xbox states outselling competitors by small margin (example XB-28% PS-25% NS-25% PC-22%) but in other states having others bigger diferanse against Xbox (example XB-8% PS-32% NS-30% PC-30%).

Without actual numbers or at least ratios this data isn't painting a full picture.
The thing is it’s not even a sales graph.... That’s what I’m trying to say. Imagine picking up you phone and they say do you like MS, Nintendo or Sony. Press 1, 2 or 3.

Nowhere does it say you have to own or plan to buy any of the systems.

Somehow people are taking offence to this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The thing is it’s not even a sales graph.... That’s what I’m trying to say. Imagine picking up you phone and they say do you like MS, Nintendo or Sony. Press 1, 2 or 3.

Nowhere does it say you have to own or plan to buy any of the systems.

Somehow people are taking offence to this.

Don't get it twisted, I'm not taking any offense at all. I just want to know where they get their data with such low margins of error, and not having a much larger pool to draw from. It seems like a very lazy article in that regards, math wise.

Kagey K

Banned
Don't get it twisted, I'm not taking any offense at all. I just want to know where they get their data with such low margins of error, and not having a much larger pool to draw from. It seems like a very lazy article in that regards, math wise.
I’m pretty sure it wasn’t meant to be a super serious article, written by super serious people. It was likely a curiosity and they used a super limited budget to ask some limited questions.

But it seems like console war fodder now, and surely drove more revenue then it cost them to create it.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Well, even if all 2000 surveyed happened to be Xbox fans (or PS or N fans), and the whole map is in green (or blue or red), it still doesn't mean much, and they're still only 2000 out of millions. Actual monthly sales numbers show the real story.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’m pretty sure it wasn’t meant to be a super serious article, written by super serious people. It was likely a curiosity and they used a super limited budget to ask some limited questions.

But it seems like console war fodder now, and surely drove more revenue then it cost them to create it.

True. I think the low effort for the high gain is because they knew the ladder are easy to incite.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Latest hardware chart 2nd March 2019 North America

Nintendo Switch 104,908
PS4 79,784
Xbox One 69, 471

Global

Switch 276,993
PS4 230,810
Xbox One 95,871

So im calling bullshit on this article

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Latest hardware chart 2nd March 2019 North America

Nintendo Switch 104,908
PS4 79,784
Xbox One 69, 471

im calling bullshit in this article
So the only consoles sold were the ones sold this month? And you don’t take into account console ownership isn’t a part of this survey? So you call bullshit on?

Tell us what states Xbox sells best in and what states PS dominates. Since this is all bulshit.

It’s simply amazing what people don’t read nowadays.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
So the only consoles sold were the ones sold this month? And you don’t take into account console ownership isn’t a part of this survey? So you call bullshit on?

Tell us what states Xbox sells best in and what states PS dominates. Since this is all bulshit.

It’s simply amazing what people don’t read nowadays.

Yes im calling this survey bullshit since it doesnt represent the actual data

PS4 dominate bro

Numbers dont lie

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Not in the US and if you read the 100 posts above you, would understand why this survey doesn’t matter.

No..no...no...you re the one whos not getting it right

PS4 does dominate ( before switch took over the last few months)

stop being a massive xbox fanboy for awhile dude

Kagey K

Banned
No..no...no...you re the one whos not getting it right

PS4 does dominate ( before switch took over the last few months)

stop being a massive xbox fanboy for awhile dude

Lmfao.... I’m sorry you are right, you get it.
No ironing, on him.

Fanboy out.

I like people can you tell me where I can play with my friends and strangers?

Just say PS4 or Xbox to each of these.

If I live in South Dakota.
North Dakota
Arizona
Louisiana
Wyoming
Tenesssee
California
New york
Maine

Should I go on?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
2033/48 states... so an average of 40 people per state. Gee, I wonder why this might turn out to be not-so representative!

Top Bottom