• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PCGamer]The era of 100GB games is upon us, and the average PC gamer is underprepared

VAVA Mk2

Seagate, Western Digital, and Samsung:

0uUhvTR.jpg

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
That is a pretty stupid and clickbaity headline. Wowee games are getting bigger just like they always have. Storage is also getting bigger and cheaper just as it always has.

Hoddi

That is a pretty stupid and clickbaity headline. Wowee games are getting bigger just like they always have. Storage is also getting bigger and cheaper just as it always has.
Rage was considered big at ~25GB way back in 2011. We’re now two full generations later and PC Gamer is mad when games are just 4x bigger than that.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Here comes one of (if not the most) the actual biggest problems of PC gaming right now:
kWI4Kq4.jpg

You can fix RAM issues easily and it's MUCH cheaper + overkill even with 32GBs, you can fix free space requirements cuz it's also MUCH cheaper and very easy. But when it comes to VRAM, there's simply no easy fix so you'll have to buy overpriced af GPUs and soon you won't have other options even for 1080p, let alone 1440p and 4K - NVIDIA or AMD will not let us get our hands on 16-24GB 1440p / 4K capable cards for less than $1000-1500 and not because it's worth that much, but because they can get away with it. 8GB cards are absolute trash right now for modern VRAM hungry games.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Thinking about swapping out my Sabrent Rocket 4TB m.2 with an 8TB m.2. I already copped an 16TB External Drive for the archives and other future uses.
That title is mostly right. The average PC gamer who isn't aspiring to climb 'Olympus' will be out of the loop.

Sophist

This is why Nvidia GeForce is going to be important as times goes on.

Not having to download the game and starting it immediately is a blessing in disguise.
You also need a good internet connection for cloud gaming. I could only use Nvidia cloud with best quality once I got a 1Gbps connection but then downloading a big game was also no more a problem; it takes less than twenty minutes to download a 120GB game on Steam.

shaddam

It not really effect me, bacause I play mostly boomer shooters on my pc, but my ps5 will need a new ssd in the future. Thinking about it it is amazing that my ps3 with 1 tb hdd can hold so many games.

raduque

Here comes one of (if not the most) the actual biggest problems of PC gaming right now:
kWI4Kq4.jpg

You can fix RAM issues easily and it's MUCH cheaper + overkill even with 32GBs, you can fix free space requirements cuz it's also MUCH cheaper and very easy. But when it comes to VRAM, there's simply no easy fix so you'll have to buy overpriced af GPUs and soon you won't have other options even for 1080p, let alone 1440p and 4K - NVIDIA or AMD will not let us get our hands on 16-24GB 1440p / 4K capable cards for less than $1000-1500 and not because it's worth that much, but because they can get away with it. 8GB cards are absolute trash right now for modern VRAM hungry games.

Yep, it's becoming a problem. I have an 8gb RTX 2080, and Hogwarts Legacy and DIablo 4 Server Slam both used up all the VRAM. It causes stuttering in HL, but D4SS was 75fps locked smooth at 1080p max with 110% resolution scale.

The last game I played before those was The Callisto Protocol, and that one was way better looking than HL or D4SS, but used around 6gb of VRAM at 1080p high. Stray, a game I recently replayed to get footage, used 4ish GB of VRAM.

I posted in reddit about the VRAM issue, and IMO, it has a lot to do with the console's proprietary texture decompression silicon. I think devs are building console-first, and are unable to work around that silicon existing.

It’s funny that disks are bigger than ever, yet in the start of the 90’s I had a pc with 30 megabytes of disk space, and it was seemingly impossible to fill it, even with a thousand games. Now you install 10 games and BAMMMM disk full.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ehh the bigger problem is not enough pcie lanes or at least a controller switch for an external 40gbs (at least) usb4 m.2 array. Right now there are not many.. more than 2x m.2 external drive and they run at 20gbs max. 😵‍💫

Killer8

You can get 1TB Samsung NVme drives for $60 or less now. You can get a 14TB Western digital for $200 in Black Friday deals.

It's time to stop bitching and join the rest of the civilized world. People are enthusiastic about upgrading every component of the hardware for thousands of dollars to get a better gaming experience, but when it comes to the hard drive people just want to moan about it.

In general, games need to get bigger to provide more detail! Higher texture resolution, more assets, better sound quality, 4K FMV quality for your 4K TV - expecting all this to happen while the game stays the same size is foolish.

So why should the humble hard drive be the exception when it comes to upgrades?

You think file size is just about graphics?
Crysis from 2007 only took 12GBs
In 2007, the average HDD had 80GBs to 250GBs
yIyPDS0.png
No. I am well aware size is not just visuals. A lot of is also uncompressed audio or simply put also really bad pace optimization. Poorly optimized game art assets also tend to be heavy. It also depends what the final resolution is of the texture files are.

Starfield is 136 GB and looks, feels and plays well better than Forspoken. There are plenty of games that weight way less or a bit more, and they look and feel better. My point is that Forspoken doesn't justify itself hard drive size whatsoever and there are plenty more games that utilize that disk space better.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I have a 500GB gen 3 nvme boot drive.

And a 6TB hard drive.

The 500GB is barely anything, especially since Samsung/etc. has cut the price considerably in the past couple years. I mean I was surprised when I saw you could get a 2TB 980 Pro for $90.

Good thing I barely play any games, or I'd be in trouble. Semi joking.

Leonidas

Got 8.5 TB across several SSDs an 8 TB HDD, and a 512 GB Steam Deck for less demanding games. 17 TB total. I think I'll be okay...

DragonNCM

They even don't care to delete unused files(what is almost 30% of game files). There is leftover junk files left & right. That's why some moders with skill can data mine all of the new games. Elden ring had leftover fils of 18GB including arenas & some DLC scraped material.

Top Bottom