• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCGamer: "Just admit that your console exclusives are coming to PC already."

ZZZZ

How are the games selling peanuts and Sony losing millions of console sales? That makes no sense.

They released an old and shoddy product. You don't think that has any bearing on sales? I know plenty of people that were ready to double dip but changed mind because of reviews.
And ask basically full price for it, they are used to fanboys that bend over anytime their balls need emptying.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

cZzyV34.jpg

Jokes, but kinda sums up how some people are...
The best was during the PS3 days and Sony fans saying their 720p/up to 30 fps games were better looking than anything on PC.

Guilty_AI

Eh, reading some of the comments here is making really clear to me a lot of console gamers have absolutely no idea how the PC gaming space works currently.
Like not understanding why Horizon Creed: New Dawn isn't doing all that great, as if the very notion of it not becoming instantly ultra popular in any platform is inconceivable.
Or the fact that a lot of people who own ultra powerful PCs already own consoles and only want these ports because they want to play these games with higher res/fps/detail.
Or that the average pc gamer isn't actually all that worried about power and plays on pc for other reasons.

Last edited:

Graciaus

It's all to soothe their egos. They will probably not even buy the game if released and will most likely pirate them considering Sony games are mostly single player.

Just look at Horizon sales.
User score 68% - mixed. I tried the game on PS4 and it was not good. Pass. Releasing it in a broken state doesn't help.

Bloodborne and Persona 5: Royal are what many want.

theclaw135

Banned
Now they are saying their 1080p/1440p 30fps games look better than PC's.... 2 generations later... History repeats itself, and Sony's conference reminded a bunch of people.

Well superior technology doesn't mean a game is going to be regarded as visually more appealing.
Personally I'd take timeless charm like Sparkster/Actraiser etc, over the drab style of RE4/TimeShift etc any day.

DeaDPo0L84

People playing on a X or Pro on a good tv/sound system dosnt it feel/look amazing? Mine does. I just cant imagine PC been much better despite the specs. The efficiencies of only having to code to a couple of machine variations is insane.

I have a hard time believing someone with a good console setup is far off a high powered PC in terms of graphics (outside of frame rate).

This whole post oozes of someone who literally has no clue what they are talking about.

People playing on a X or Pro on a good tv/sound system dosnt it feel/look amazing? Mine does. I just cant imagine PC been much better despite the specs. The efficiencies of only having to code to a couple of machine variations is insane.

I have a hard time believing someone with a good console setup is far off a high powered PC in terms of graphics (outside of frame rate).

Brute force. You have to pay for it. And you get so little.

DeaDPo0L84

Hardly. Go ahead and apply uber-texture mods to a console port, it's still going to look and feel like a console game when all is said and done.

I think maybe we are misunderstanding each other. My response to him was that everything he is saying is based on zero actual knowledge when it comes to differences between console and pc gaming and instead just uses the stereotypical "PC is just slider and more fps, big deal".

Hardly. Go ahead and apply uber-texture mods to a console port, it's still going to look and feel like a console game when all is said and done.
So like the new Spiderman, HFW, Demon Souls, etc...? Just a texture and effects pack added onto the ps4 version, for the ps5 release. It's still the same game, but why would anyone want to buy these again if they are the same game?

theclaw135

Banned
I think maybe we are misunderstanding each other. My response to him was that everything he is saying is based on zero actual knowledge when it comes to differences between console and pc gaming and instead just uses the stereotypical "PC is just slider and more fps, big deal".

For most games that is the case. You'd have to toss out the gamepad oriented controls and user interface, and overhaul the progression systems simplified to draw in casual players.

That's fine, take as many as you want. We truly don't care about the consoles getting it. We care more about is it going to release on steam or epic, who has it the cheapest, and what time will the buddies be getting online, so we can game on!
You mean you don’t care. The author of the article probably does.

Last edited:
The difference is that pc gamers don't care when this happens as long as it doesn't compromise the pc version of the game.

Console fanboys cling to their exclusive games because thats all they have. The platform itself is terrible for hardcore gaming.
I think PC gamers do care. It’s just been happening for more than a generation now so they are used to it.

Dargor

So like the new Spiderman, HFW, Demon Souls, etc...? Just a texture and effects pack added onto the ps4 version, for the ps5 release. It's still the same game, but why would anyone want to buy these again if they are the same game?

Wait, is demons souls being released for ps4 too? Didn't know that, heard it was coming out for pc but sony said that was a mistake and it isn't, but never heard about a ps4 version.

Wait, is demons souls being released for ps4 too? Didn't know that, heard it was coming out for pc but sony said that was a mistake and it isn't, but never heard about a ps4 version.
My bad that's a ps3 game with a texture and effect pack. The others I mentioned, plus a couple more for the next few years will be released on both ps4/5 with upgraded textures, but still same base ps4 game.

That's The point. Same game, upgraded textures.

And it definitely sounds like damage control only after the fact of the major backlash they received. Kinda odd, but whatever.

My bad that's a ps3 game with a texture and effect pack.
No it isn't. It's a complete remake. The only thing left over from the original are the voice lines. Every single model and animation in the game has been redone from scratch, and tons of new ones have been added. Even if you reduced all the effects and textures to PS3 level and ran it at 720p, the game still wouldn't be playable on a PS3.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
This whole post oozes of someone who literally has no clue what they are talking about.

Actually if you wernt so blinded to the merits of one format you'd be able to form a more objective and rational opinion. But carry on with you PC is better in every way possible mentality.

And FYI I've been gaming over 25 years, owned various consoles and gaming PCs.

Chun Swae

Banned
PC gaming's entire existence is port begging and praying that publishers release a PC version of their game. The only games developed exclusively for their platform are either crappy early access titles or whatever mobile game some twitch streamer makes popular for the month. VR was the only interesting thing they had but even PSVR ended up outselling the pc competitors. Tis a sad life

martino

PC gaming's entire existence is port begging and praying that publishers release a PC version of their game. The only games developed exclusively for their platform are either crappy early access titles or whatever mobile game some twitch streamer makes popular for the month. VR was the only interesting thing they had but even PSVR ended up outselling the pc competitors. Tis a sad life
Then pirate the game after all the begging. (Not everyone of course, but a lot of people still do it.)
you guys really need to
bubble-break.gif

and invest the subject
expect if you're fine being that console boyz stereotypes...

Kokoloko85

How about Pc go and make some exclusives like you use to havelol.

Your just an expensive high setting console so you can play games like MGS5 and Monster HUnter lol...

Everyone in this thread bitching about port begging hasn't read the article. The author isn't begging for console ports, he just wants developers and publishers to be honest about their plans. Planning to do a PC release at launch or further down the line? Just say it. Not planning a PC release at all? Just say it. Not sure yet? No shame in that either, just fucking let people know. None of that bullshit where you have "exclusives" with half a dozen asterisks and port announcements that you backtrack on an hour later and refuse to comment on.

you guys really need to
and invest the subject
expect if you're fine being that console boyz stereotypes...

I have a friend who pirated Horizon Zero Dawn. He's the kind of guy who believes that exclusives should not exist in this day and age. I don't know how massive piracy is on PC, but it's still there.

On the other hand, how many did HZD sell on PC? Was it even worth it?

There aren't any exact numbers, but everything points to the game having sold between 200-500K copies on Steam so far. Even assuming that it only sold 200K and most people paid less than the $50 MSRP, that's still $8 million for Sony, or around $5.6 million after Valve takes their 30% cut. I really doubt the cost of porting the game was anywhere close to that.

UnNamed

Banned
I never was a PC guy, except for some short period, but I also made the decision to buying a PC for the next gen. Lot of exclusive from both Sony and Microsoft will be available on PC, the only exclusives left I could probably play it on PSNOW or XCloud.

martino

I have a friend who pirated Horizon Zero Dawn. He's the kind of guy who believes that exclusives should not exist in this day and age. I don't know how massive piracy is on PC, but it's still there.

so you don't know and care to look and base it all on one friend....
you can base your "logic" on what you want, but you need to understand how weak your approach is for poeple expecting argument that are more than confirmias bias on a really thin basis.

There aren't any exact numbers, but everything points to the game having sold between 200-500K copies on Steam so far. Even assuming that it only sold 200K and most people paid less than the $50 MSRP, that's still $8 million for Sony, or around $5.6 million after Valve takes their 30% cut. I really doubt the cost of porting the game was anywhere close to that.

and since it's low estimate , it's possible part of sales are already in 25% cut from steam

Schmick

I was watching the DF analysis of the conference and Alex said something to the effect 'Oh I didn't know Miles got powers, I never finished it'.....
That is typical PC gamer. Buying games on sale for as little as possible, loading it up for 5 minutes and seeing a few mods and then never touching it again.
Literally the worst 'gamers' out there. People that line Nvidias pockets but want to screw the developers at every turn.
Didnt you suggest in another thread for those complaining about the $70 prices hike on consoles that they should wait for the discounts?

theclaw135

Banned

PC gamers find pleasure in suffering. Juggling mods to try to stabilize late ports they begged for. Fiddling with graphics sliders even in situations the visual or performance gains are minimal, or to brag about benchmark scores someone with more money has already beat.

Play better, meaning...? Cause if it runs better on PC, it should play better as well. I'll look better, and feel much more responsive. Plus you have choice of peripherals, can stream simultaneously, ultrawide monitor, multiple monitors, etc. Whatever you want.
That does not mean it plays at all. Looking better doesn't make a game more responsive. But i see your point. I just don't think it's simple as that.

That's why i don't want come back to pc. 1st, i'm working on pc. 2nd, plug and play is better on consoles. 3rdn it does not have to deal with drm and Windows 10. 4th, i don't care about pc master race. 5th physical media is a better option in my opinion and i don't want to use online stores.... on the other hand, ps2 and ps3 emulation are looking sooo great, and there are some RTS i want to play. But the more i think about it, the more i want to move to android to stop using W10. Right now, i'm more in a wait and see position. Shure i wanna play those ps2 games in 4k... but it means more Windows 😱

At the end of the day, the more games you can play anywhere the better.

Bryank75

Banned
Didnt you suggest in another thread for those complaining about the $70 prices hike on consoles that they should wait for the discounts?

I think 50-60 is fair for a great single player game. In Europe the new price is 80 Euro (94.47 dollars), not 70.

There definitely is a fair middleground and if they want people to pay more, just make appealing special or collectors editions IMO.

That does not mean it plays at all. Looking better doesn't make a game more responsive. But i see your point. I just don't think it's simple as that.

That's why i don't want come back to pc. 1st, i'm working on pc. 2nd, plug and play is better on consoles. 3rdn it does not have to deal with drm and Windows 10. 4th, i don't care about pc master race. 5th physical media is a better option in my opinion and i don't want to use online stores.... on the other hand, ps2 and ps3 emulation are looking sooo great, and there are some RTS i want to play. But the more i think about it, the more i want to move to android to stop using W10. Right now, i'm more in a wait and see position. Shure i wanna play those ps2 games in 4k... but it means more Windows 😱

At the end of the day, the more games you can play anywhere the better.
Lower latency, higher framerate, etc, makes a game play better, even if they have the same assets as the console counterpart.

1. I work on pc as well. What difference does that make? I wake up computer, launch game. No difference between console and pc when the game is open, besides resolution, framerate, textures, etc.

2. But my pc can use any peripheral. Even ds4, which ps5 can't.

3. You can buy games without drm... Do you worry about drm with console digital games as well?

4. Then why are you here commenting? Lol jp

5. Definitely your opinion. If the best hardware doesn't care for it, you guys should hurry up and ditch it.

Guilty_AI

Both Baldurs gate 3 and mount and BLade 2 are rumoured for consoles.

Obviously there is some like total war, and indies. But Its not like the old days

The big Pc game studios like Blizzard, Bethesda etc all release on Consoles
"Rumored" like demon souls remake you mean? Well not like that matters anyway. What matters is that those games utilize the advantages of PC well, especially In regards to CPU requirements.

daninthemix

* oh, and not forgetting always getting the superior version of multiplat games...the many, many hundreds of multiplat games released per generation.

Even so-called bad ports end up being the superior version by a country mile.

But no, you're right - those 12 exclusives released over 7 years really are the key factor here. They really matter.

Brofist

PC gamers find pleasure in suffering. Juggling mods to try to stabilize late ports they begged for. Fiddling with graphics sliders even in situations the visual or performance gains are minimal, or to brag about benchmark scores someone with more money has already beat.
Then pirate the game after all the begging. (Not everyone of course, but a lot of people still do it.)

Guys enjoy your 30fps crap on your little $300 shitboxes and leave gaming to the grown men.

Top Bottom