• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Danknugz

This game looks awesome. Love me some Tony Hawk's and to have something similar in first person vr sounds great in theory. Early access coming soon.

It’s a real cool concept and well done, not sure how realistic and looks like a great formula for motion sickness though. I’d rather film in VR or maybe just cruise, or something like transition skating where you can carve/grind and not be jumping out of buildings and huge gaps, Tony hawk gamer style skating is too herky-jerky for vr IMO

also skating with your hands while standing up and being in VR is super weird, would be better to use your legs somehow maybe with vibe trackers.

Last edited:

Already made a thread about it but it's getting buried.
oh, I'm sure it'll be as popular as Frostpoint or that other recent shooter by Firewall devs...

there's also no point trying to get flatties excited over sub Overwatch VR clones with no huge jumps and snail pace...

Last edited:
I think it looks interesting but it would need to be balanced and have a decent player base.

I'm sure there's room for one popular hero shooter in the vr space.

RaZoR No1

how good are AMD cards for VR? Especially with Oculus Air Link / Virtual Desktop.
Is the missing NVENC decoder a deal breaker?

so Zenith is coming to psvr and Quest too, but this is probably the pc version? Why? Because even though it has PS2 graphics, Quest wouldn't be rendering shadows or grass like that, nor sure it can handle so many characters at once. Probably there will be fog.

Btw, MMO is dull as heck, huh? At least looks better than Orbus...

interesting interview with Impulse Gear about Larcenauts:

they speak a lot of "growing" out of limitations of psvr, but what I see is limited small maps with PS2 graphics for Quest. Plus, I'm pretty sure I could backtrack and fully turn with analog sticks in Farpoint, though yes, level design was the linear tunnel kind...

looks nice, but won't turn anyone's head like Overwatch VR would...

9 minutes of Larcenauts on pc. Slow walk, some cool dash mechanics, no jumps, small arenas. I don't see any social interactions, only hands on guns - I mean even MMO Zenith is entirely missing head tracking for socializing...

Hey, it's another of those made-for-VR games where the superior spatial interactions of VR are used to... push levers, connect dots etc

exciting

this is great, though I never went that far in Skyrim yet. Also, unlikely the vanilla port on psvr has it...

what a huge game anyway, always a pleasure to be in...

Wonko_C

Hey, it's another of those made-for-VR games where the superior spatial interactions of VR are used to... push levers, connect dots etc

exciting

Flatlanders call these: "walking simulators"

Greenh Hell looks interesting

this has a planned Quest port. Can you imagine how crap it will be? Song in the Smoke will just run better on Quest (and psvr)...

Reminds me of Far Cry a bit. Far Cry needs to come to VR, that way I would surely play those games for more than 5 minutes without getting bored.

Last edited:
there's now a RDR2 "VR mod":

it's "VR" in the same sense as RE7, GTAV, Alien Isolation or Subnautica: you can only look around, not touch anything besides your old gamepad... tbh, looks just like what people using vorpex came up with, do I wonder what's the point of a mod...

only Sony will make things happen, more ports like Hitman, please. Except for superior controls and hardware...

Last edited:
there's now a RDR2 "VR mod":

it's "VR" in the same sense as RE7, GTAV, Alien Isolation or Subnautica: you can only look around, not touch anything besides your old gamepad... tbh, looks just like what people using vorpex came up with, do I wonder what's the point of a mod...

only Sony will make things happen, more ports like Hitman, please. Except for superior controls and hardware...

To be honest, I think stuff like this and vorpx look cool. Yeah motion controls are better but still being in the world and using a controller is cool, even just a 3d screen effect of vorpx sounds like an interesting way to play through a pancake game. There's room for all this stuff.

this was supposed to be better than Espire 1 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

oh but it's early access. Yeah, that's a forever excuse for indies.

Hitman 3 was shat upon and overlooked for having only 1 interactive hand with the tracked PS4 gamepad and no climbing or other gimmicky VR interaction and still is so much more of a delight to play in VR than these small indies... more engaging and far more enduring...

this game didn't get much luck with those casual gamers on Quest, so it now got a pcvr release on Rift store:

looks pretty much the same, perhaps crisper textures and shadows

Wonko_C

We need price-accessible Ready Player One-style omnidirectional threadmills like, yesterday:

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Urban

So i got the Valve Index now and want some games which i should play?

Ive got HL Alyx, Super Hot and Beat Saber

Is there a Mod or a Game where i can just play around with guns and explosives? Just like a Techdemo which i can let my friends play?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I played this game for over a year on a Rift S. It worked just fine. Index is a big improvement but H3 on Oculus hardware is still great (though the tracking can suck but that's not the game's fault).

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
welp, I finally got to play HL alyx on my brothers Index while on vacation and holy fuck.... undoubtedly next gen gaming. everything feels so right. dont think I will ever ever be able to go back to regular gaming after this. absolutely floored. also for some reason no nausea? tried RE7 on the PSVR a few years ago and felt nauseated which made for very unpleasant experience

the only thing I feel is missing is sensors on your shins or feet so you can kick shit around :messenger_sunglasses:
I need MMA game now

Last edited:

elbourreau

Hi everyone

We are officialy starting our first VR title communication campaign. We are about to show a lot of thing (we have a very first teaser to come in a few days / weeks! :) ), and we really hope you will enjoy our game since we are thrilled to work on VR !

I'll come back very soon with more pictures and gif.

Cheers!

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
welp, I finally got to play HL alyx on my brothers Index while on vacation and holy fuck.... undoubtedly next gen gaming. everything feels so right. dont think I will ever ever be able to go back to regular gaming after this. absolutely floored. also for some reason no nausea? tried RE7 on the PSVR a few years ago and felt nauseated which made for very unpleasant experience

the only thing I feel is missing is sensors on your shins or feet so you can kick shit around :messenger_sunglasses:
I need MMA game now
I've been wanting to play this one, but I'm waiting until I can upgrade my 1080 ti/i7-6700k setup to something more capable.

Wonko_C

How's this build (plus an RTX 3070 or similar next year, for now I'll make do with my 1050 Ti) for VR with an Oculus Quest 2 via link cable? Mainly for Half-Life Alyx, non-VR games with VorpX (Mirror's Edge!), emulators in VR (Metroid Prime) and some casual Microsoft Flight Simulator.

bqnmAdq.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How's this build (plus an RTX 3070 or similar next year, for now I'll make do with my 1050 Ti) for VR with an Oculus Quest 2 via link cable? Mainly for Half-Life Alyx, non-VR games with VorpX (Mirror's Edge!), emulators in VR (Metroid Prime) and some casual Microsoft Flight Simulator.

bqnmAdq.jpg
Looks good. I would also recommend getting good wifi router and just play quest 2 wirelessly... Alyx goes next level without cables.
I really need to get myself quest 2...

Wonko_C

Looks good. I would also recommend getting good wifi router and just play quest 2 wirelessly... Alyx goes next level without cables.
I really need to get myself quest 2...
Thanks! Sadly I don't think my ISP allows me to use a different modem/router to the one they provide. But I'll look into it once I'm set up.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Thanks! Sadly I don't think my ISP allows me to use a different modem/router to the one they provide. But I'll look into it once I'm set up.
I rent a modem from my ISP as part of a bundle program with my ISP, but I bought and use my own. Their modem just sits in a box unused. Would likely be the same for a router.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

bqnmAdq.jpg
1050Ti is not gonna run a Quest 2. Period, point blank. It's min spec for a Rift or a Vive, but Quest 2 is higher resolution and the link cable uses compression hardware that isn't on Pascal cards (something that I really wish Oculus communicated more clearly; you need an RTX card to run Link properly)

You're gonna be relegated to running older games at sub native resolution with horrible looking blocky compression artifacts. It's not gonna be a good time.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Looking at getting a quest 2 for my kid for Christmas. She has a 3700x, 5700xt, 16 gigs of ram. Will that work out on that unit?

Is there usually decent black Friday sales on the quest 2 or similar units?

Wonko_C

1050Ti is not gonna run a Quest 2. Period, point blank. It's min spec for a Rift or a Vive, but Quest 2 is higher resolution and the link cable uses compression hardware that isn't on Pascal cards (something that I really wish Oculus communicated more clearly; you need an RTX card to run Link properly)

You're gonna be relegated to running older games at sub native resolution with horrible looking blocky compression artifacts. It's not gonna be a good time.
I didn't mean I was going to use the 1050 Ti for VR, just general use/flat games until the GPU price crazyness calms down a bit.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Looking at getting a quest 2 for my kid for Christmas. She has a 3700x, 5700xt, 16 gigs of ram. Will that work out on that unit?

Sorry, thought I'd bump this again to see if this is reasonable

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Appreciate it, I know it won't be too of the line of course, just want something that will be decent.

Does the quest 2 ever go on sale? Is a quest 3 coming soon?
So, Oculus is promising a "big announcement" at Connect on Oct 21, so if you want to be sure, wait for then.

But if there is a new hardware announcement it is overwhelmingly likely to be a Quest Pro rather than a Quest 3; a prosumer model with eye and face tracking and improved display panels. There have been a bunch of leaks to this effect and the expectation is that it will be prosumer pricing, probably $500+, rather than something to replace Quest 2.

elbourreau

Alright guys,

here's some of the powers you will be able to play with. Telekinesis.

More to come, and first teaser for Halloween.

All the gifs are real ingame captures from early prototype.

9bFH4Kk.gif

9tOAFBw.gif

U0c9SLT.gif

See you soon.

Last edited:

darthvargi

The PC should be fine. Have you considered if you're going to use Virtual Desktop, Air Link, or a wired USB 3.0 link cable? They are the three ways to play PCVR with the Quest. I've never had issues with any of the three but like anything related to PC you sometimes may have to tweak settings or update drivers.

As for the price, there may be a bundle or something but I'm not expecting a price drop. I'd wait for Connect at the end of the month. I think a new model may be unveiled but I suspect it's going to be a higher end model meant to coexist with the Quest 2 and not replace it. I highly doubt since they doubled the storage recently that we'll see a price drop. If anything you may get a bundle promotion or store credit so it's worth waiting and wishing another couple weeks.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Buddy got G2 for sim racing and it kinda sucks. Too much cables, it sometimes don't get detected. windows mixed reality, very small sweetspot.
He's been thinking about just getting quest 2. DOes it work 120hz over link?

Vlodril

Buddy got G2 for sim racing and it kinda sucks. Too much cables, it sometimes don't get detected. windows mixed reality, very small sweetspot.
He's been thinking about just getting quest 2. DOes it work 120hz over link?
It has one cable that goes into the headset what is too much cables?

Windows mixed reality does suck the sweetspot isn't that small. It is by far the clearest one too (but you need a beefy card for it).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It has one cable that goes into the headset what is too much cables?

Windows mixed reality does suck the sweetspot isn't that small. It is by far the clearest one too (but you need a beefy card for it).
Oh he got 3080. Still have to lower details in asetto corsa and so on.
One cable goes to outlet and one to usb with splitter on the way. It's not too bad but it's not just a simple usb c you plug up front when you want to use it (or wireless).
It is amazingly clear as I've tried but I can't speak for his sweetspot. He says it sucks

Top Bottom