• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

MarlboroRed

So I'm still playing around with settings. I noticed that WMR, on its own, takes up roughly 2.7GB VRam. SteamVR takes up roughly another 1GB VRam. I think the resolution (inGame) is pushing my GPU past its 8GB VRam, resulting in crashes.

Is there any way of bypassing WMR to save up on VRam?

Also, I found out about the OpenXR Dev Tools, which allows you to run a preview build of OpenXR, which seems to be recommended for the G2. If I run i.e. HL:Alyx with this runtime, will changing the SS Resolution through steam actually do anything? The Dev Tools have their own SS slider, but afaik this only applies to MS Store games such as Flight Simulator, right?

wOs

Not played it yet, seems like a pretty well made if a bit too standard despite being in VR platformer. I guess on par with Lucky's Tale or Moss overall, more Crash-esque? It's not on Steam just yet but soon. It launched on Oculus Store and has pretty good if few (it's not on Quest and who buys PC games on Oculus) user reviews.

I buy some things on the occulus store and then use revive. I was a little perturbed though when at first this was coming to all platforms then all the sudden it went occulus.

INC

So I'm still playing around with settings. I noticed that WMR, on its own, takes up roughly 2.7GB VRam. SteamVR takes up roughly another 1GB VRam. I think the resolution (inGame) is pushing my GPU past its 8GB VRam, resulting in crashes.

Is there any way of bypassing WMR to save up on VRam?

Also, I found out about the OpenXR Dev Tools, which allows you to run a preview build of OpenXR, which seems to be recommended for the G2. If I run i.e. HL:Alyx with this runtime, will changing the SS Resolution through steam actually do anything? The Dev Tools have their own SS slider, but afaik this only applies to MS Store games such as Flight Simulator, right?

At that point you could be double SS, easy test, change in dev tools and see if steamvr copies the same value

I tend to just use steamvr with fpsvr to do all the SS, and keep it at 100% in the headset software (rift s)

Last edited:
https://www.vive.com/us/accessory/wireless-adapter/ They have a version for the OG Vive. You have to have a PCI slot for the wireless card though...so a laptop isn't ideal.
I know about that one, but that solution is a couple years old at this point and I was wondering if anything newer released in the meantime? Apparently there was supposed to be a tpcast 2 but I can't find any release info....

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any word on the 'next big thing' from the hardware (headset) front? What's the current king in so far as screen quality and resolution these days?
For consumer products I guess Reverb G2 but unless you frankenstein it with Index controllers & lighthouse stations it's not quite on par there. There probably are Samsung products in the horizon which is promising given their last attempts with Odyssey/+, the DecaGear, more from Pimax...

Nothing too crazy as far as we know. Quest competitors are likely to show up at least given snapdragon reference designs and chipsets etc. Oh the PSVR2 as well I guess, I mean, if that's a solid kit it'll probably be hacked to work with PC...

Last edited:
For consumer products I guess Reverb G2 but unless you frankenstein it with Index controllers & lighthouse stations it's not quite on par there. There probably are Samsung products in the horizon which is promising given their last attempts with Odyssey/+, the DecaGear, more from Pimax...

Nothing too crazy as far as we know. Quest competitors are likely to show up at least given snapdragon reference designs and chipsets etc. Oh the PSVR2 as well I guess, I mean, if that's a solid kit it'll probably be hacked to work with PC...
Gotcha, and thanks for the info. I'm still rocking an OG Vive, but with a pair of Index controllers. I'd like to upgrade the headset, but... feel like I still can't quite justify it just yet.

Alexios

Wow, haha, it's a full sequel after all, not a mission, 2021!:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
So, it's really a full new game for I Expect you to Die 2:

cool undercover talk by the devs:

Am I understanding it right that this will be multiplayer about impostors and a single agent? Among Ass and TTT influencing game design big time perhaps... or just good old Spy x Spy comics? One agent against other?

Exciting times, the original was one of made-for-VR first great games.

Alexios

Not much stuff today (or yet), I might try to make list of all the VR demos released for the Steam festival tomorrow since not all of them made decent tweets about it to post here.

Last edited:

MarlboroRed

So I finally seem to have fixed the blue screen issues I have been having with my G2 all this time. I stress tested HL Alyx at 2x/4x SS for a couple hours now, and while it was definitely struggling to run at these insane resolutions it did not crash. At all. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

But I really don't like the G2 Controllers in terms of tracking, I don't know what HP was thinking.. Pulling off precise shots in Alyx is just way too hard given the constant jittering, even at the most optimal lighting conditions I can provide.
I swallowed my pride and threw down another couple hundred shekels and ordered a set of Index Controllers, LHs and Dongles to run them with the G2. It will be interesting to see how the worst compares to the best.

Alexios

You can always try lower than native resolution. Performance trumps all. Hopefully the process to mix G2 headtracking with lighthouse hand tracking and controllers will go smoother than VR has gone for you so far but you're once again going into even more niche and unsupported areas than the G2 by itself. Mioght have been better to just go full Index to begin with and if you have any spare performance due to the slightly lower image quality you could put it towards more hz that it supports, the controller tracking not being as good as all other popular solutions was a known factor after all, just the extent was in slight dispute. Either way, good luck! Also you could try selling your G2 mint condition controllers as iirc they're compatible with any WMR kit, not just G2, since even though they differ they have the same tracking ring so they could be seen as an upgrade for someone who had worse iterations or anyone who needs replacements.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Alexis got banned?

Can we actually talk about VR here now?!

What are you all playing?!!!
Nothing at the moment, but the other day I let my non-gamer bro try Half-Life: Alyx and he described it as "this is the best thing I've ever tried".

Have yet to play it myself, so I hope it lives up to that hype. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Alexis got banned?

What did he get banned for? Hope it's not permanent, I liked his posts. It's not like we can't talk in here too. All activity is good activity.

I'm playing elite dangerous in VR. It's awesome and I now can't play anything else. Whoops.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
had some time with G2 at friends house.
The headset is sharp and sound is good. Comfort is so so and sweet spot seems quite narrow.
But the worst offender is the mxied reality crap. Sometimes it detects the headset, then not.... or it take a long time... on nvme, 5800x and 3080.
The controllers are also garbage but it's a sim headset and assetto corsa plays good

Rex_DX

Gold Member
What did he get banned for? Hope it's not permanent, I liked his posts. It's not like we can't talk in here too. All activity is good activity.

I'm playing elite dangerous in VR. It's awesome and I now can't play anything else. Whoops.

That sounded cold and dickish so I'll clarify by saying I just would get turned off posting here because it was basically a Twitter feed and slowed down my browser like mad - could've put the wall of links in spoiler tags. Nothing personal, Alexis!

Don't even get me started on Elite in VR, man! I've been on an Elite bender since early January. Started a new CMDR and have just now gotten around to getting my explorer kitted out with the Guardian FSD Booster and G5 FSD range. Now I'm going after the other engineers again.

Made about half a bil with the new mining system, too. That update for pricing/rewards was just a breath of fresh air. Makes things so much more fun now that you actually get decent rewards for things. And they fixed the damn PWA FINALLY after a year, jfc.

Nothing at the moment, but the other day I let my non-gamer bro try Half-Life: Alyx and he described it as "this is the best thing I've ever tried".

Have yet to play it myself, so I hope it lives up to that hype. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Half-Life: Alyx is very well done. It was probably my GOTY for 2020 but its really something you'll only play through once or twice. It would be incredibly boring in flat-mode. You should probably get on this, man! Get to playing!

I've also been putting obscene amounts of time into H3VR which got a massive update as a live-event, Christmas advent calendar, if you weren't aware. This game is by far my most played VR game of all time now and its not even close.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You should probably get on this, man! Get to playing!
Haha yeah I really want to! It's just that I'm currently in the middle of moving to a new house, so it'll be a while until I have my VR setup ready.

But rest assured, this will be the first thing I´ll play and I´ll post here my impressions. :)

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Haha yeah I really want to! It's just that I'm currently in the middle of moving to a new house, so it'll be a while until I have my VR setup ready.

But rest assured, this will be the first thing I´ll play and I´ll post here my impressions. :)
Ah that's a great reason! Hopefully I'll be in the same situation this year, actually.

It's good to have something to look forward to at least.

TintoConCasera

Ah that's a great reason! Hopefully I'll be in the same situation this year, actually.

It's good to have something to look forward to at least.
Cool to hear! Good luck btw, I'm having lots of trouble with the process so I hope it goes better for you.

Nydus

Gold Member
Alexis got banned?

He'll be back ;)

He just made the error of straying into parts of the forum where you basically gamble with your account 😅

Btt: i just sold my rift s some days ago. Had a lot of fun but not enough space and time in the last months. But I hope to get back into VR when I get my own mancave :D I'm kinda itching to go the index route but quest 2 also seems mighty fine...

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Any PCVR recommendation for a new player? I've been mostly been doing beat saber and fitness apps. I do have half life alyx tho

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Any PCVR recommendation for a new player? I've been mostly been doing beat saber and fitness apps. I do have half life alyx tho

Plenty! And welcome to the VR-game. What headset are you using and what kind of games do you like, generally? What do you own already besides Alyx and Beat Saber?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
He'll be back ;)

He just made the error of straying into parts of the forum where you basically gamble with your account 😅

Btt: i just sold my rift s some days ago. Had a lot of fun but not enough space and time in the last months. But I hope to get back into VR when I get my own mancave :D I'm kinda itching to go the index route but quest 2 also seems mighty fine...

Go Index and run away kicking and screaming from Facebook.

Edit: Link

Ars Review/Quest 2

Say what you will about Ars Technica, but this review is on the nose in my experience with Oculus products, including the Q2.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Plenty! And welcome to the VR-game. What headset are you using and what kind of games do you like, generally? What do you own already besides Alyx and Beat Saber?

Quest 2!

I own Alyx on the PC VR side (and havent played it lol, will get to it soon)
Beat Saber. (is there a way to sideload custom songs)
a supernatural 1 month free trial cause of lockdown

Aaand that is pretty much it! it's a really new headset (1.5 weeks old) and I've been really busy lately so haven't gotten around playing much. I'm a bit lost where to go from here.

In my normal gaming space I like multiplayer shooters, single player action adventure games and RPGs, I honestly don't dislike many genres.

MarlboroRed

Alexis got banned?

Oh my, sad to see him go. I appreciated his newsflashes for what they were, although I prefer to visit a dedicated website for that instead of a discussion forum.

I'm still waiting for my Knuckles here. Biding my time meanwhile with some flatscreen games here and there, but nothing really hooked me right now. I'm keen on getting back into HL: Alyx. Elite Dangerous is also already installed, can't wait to try out the virtual cockpit mod. And at some point I will try Pavlov as well, so far I'm too much of a wuss to dip my toes into competitive VR - definitely want the Knuckles for that, but I bet it's something I can really get into.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Quest 2!

I own Alyx on the PC VR side (and havent played it lol, will get to it soon)
Beat Saber. (is there a way to sideload custom songs)
a supernatural 1 month free trial cause of lockdown

Aaand that is pretty much it! it's a really new headset (1.5 weeks old) and I've been really busy lately so haven't gotten around playing much. I'm a bit lost where to go from here.

In my normal gaming space I like multiplayer shooters, single player action adventure games and RPGs, I honestly don't dislike many genres.
You've got a good collection going so far brother! Can't go wrong with those two. I'm not sure about sideloading Beat Saber song because - unpopular opinion - I can't stand that game! I know its like the most popular game for VR there is so ... what can I say? Different strokes!

Since Oculus is native for you be sure to check out:

Lone Echo: Story-driven game set in space, exploring the relationship between yourself (a robot) and a scientist. Focuses on zero-g mechanics and set-piece story moments. Universally praised, its getting a bit aged these days but is well worth your time. And there's a sequel in the works.

Asgard's Wrath: Basically the open-world RPG people had been asking for for years. Its a Nordic setting but it does enough of it's own thing to avoid being a SkyrimVR clone.

Robo Recall: definitely getting a bit old graphically, this game came bundled with all Oculus headsets for awhile. Now they want full price but this game is a ton of fun and a great place to start your VR career. Shooting, melee, waves of robots - its a super fun, addictive game that has the honor of being the only game to cause me to punch a ceiling in real life.

Vader Immortal: This is a graphical powerhouse and if you enjoy Star Wars its a no-brainer. The focus is on lightsaber combat and force powers coupled with a surprising amount of character-development and lore. Caveat being that its released in short, episodic format and they want too much money for each one; a scummy pricing structure.

There's a lot more on the Oculus store, but as a new owner this is important to know - always buy games on SteamVR if given the option. This way if you decide to flee Facebook and upgrade to a non-Oculus platform in the future your library will go with you. This is doubly important when your Facebook account's standing is directly linked to your games library. Imagine losing your entire Steam or PlayStation library for a social media comment! Sadly, you may see a minor performance hit for a handful of games due to having to run Oculus and SteamVR in tandem instead of one or the other, but this should prove to be a small inconvenience and is well worth having your library secure from Facebook.

On the SteamVR side you have a ton of content so I won't write as much about these games. Everything I list is well worth checking out in detail though to see if it looks like its for you - remember, you can play up to two hours and still get a refund.

Blade & Sorcery: still in Early Access, don't let that fool you. The best melee combat in VR. Sadly, there's not much to do besides fight waves of enemies yet. Active modding scene (light sabers!).

Boneworks: Highly experimental, puzzle/shooter with an extreme emphasis on physics systems. An amazing demonstration of what the medium is capable of and where it's headed at best, and a miserable, janky act of frustration at worst.

Elite Dangerous: VR and cockpit games are a match made in heaven. That said, while the star-ship combat, customization and flight model in Elite are tough to beat, this game is a heavy sim. I've played for a thousand hours and am still kind of a newbie. My control bindings are three pages long. This is quite the undertaking so try it and do your research before you buy it.

Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Handgrenades (H3VR): By far, the best, most realistic guns you can find in VR - and there's over 400 of them, lovingly modeled, from a flintlock musket to a Stinger missile launcher. The catch is a control scheme that can be a challenge to set up, but once it clicks it is one of the best VR experiences I've ever had. Presented as a collection of "scenes," these range from basic shooting ranges for plinking targets and learning the controls, to a full-on rogue-like mode where you upgrade weapons and earn tokens for new ones. Oh yeah, there's a mini RPG included too along with dozens of other scenarios. Extremely active developer. (This game does not go on sale, FYI).

Moss: Just fucking adorable. You control a mouse and platform and fight your way through the forest. Third person. A brilliant, feel-good game that's cute to the point of unfairness.

Superhot VR: Its the pancake game everyone went crazy for, but now you're in the game! The weird, hacker "plot" they went for fits especially well in virtual reality.

Until You Fall: Psychedelic, gorgeous, melee/arena game. Incredibly addictive, easy to pick up but difficult-to-master combat is the bread and butter here. You need to see screenshots of this game to get it.

The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners: Despite being a licensed title, this is solid as hell. Great sense of atmosphere and the gameplay loop of searching neighborhoods for resources while upgrading your kit and camp is enough of a hook to keep me invested through the fairly lengthy, 25-40 hour campaign. This is the VR zombie game.

There's tons more but these are some of my favorites and a fairly decent selection of "greatest hits." Should get you on the right track. Enjoy your new headset!

Honorable mentions: Budget Cuts 1/2, Duck Season, SkyrimVR (with mods), A Fisherman's Tale, The Forest, I Expect You To Die, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Pavlov, Serious Sam VR series, Star Wars: Squadrons

So many good games, it's been the most surprising thing since I got the headset at Christmas. I've literally got ten on the back burner that I'd happily go back to as my main game.

A few not included above:

Outer wilds vr mod. Super easy to install and you can then play this goty contender in full vr!

Borderlands 2 vr, I've had a ton of fun playing this full fat BL2 in vr

Lone echos arena - it's free and the tutorial is worth it alone. Possibly my first welcome to vr moment. The floating movement is so convincing.

The lab - free basic mini games but high production values and worth a download

The Talos Principal - full fat pc game now in VR. It's a great puzzle game with lots of content.

Elite Dangerous - space MMO that fully supports VR. You can literally fly around the entire galaxy, landing at huge space stations, blasting pirates etc. It's awesome but a time sink.

Thumper - good on switch, great in vr. Get it for £5 if you can.

And many more on my want list - Skyrim, no man's sky, fallout 4vr, population one ( it's a battle royale), Tetris effect.

Regarding beat saber, you side load tracks using mod assistant and then picking the right mod. It's really easy ( must be as I did it and have no modding experience). Takes less than ten mins. For tracks you get them from beat saver and if you're into ranking then that's on score saber. I got addicted to ranking up for two weeks and got to 19,000.

Danknugz

This probably is t the best place to be saying this, but aren’t most the games people talk about the same exact ones that have been there since 3 years ago? I love VR and I was a DK2 backer. but it’s very concerning When I start up the oculus app and I see the exact same games on the store from literally 2 or 3 years ago. Seems like you can count on one hand the “good” vr games that (a) aren’t be mods for games that were originally non vr (b) came out in the last one or two years (c) have aaa studio quality and do not feel like shovel ware.

I love assetto corsa with a wheel and that’s been my main vr experience lately. I have about 250 hours in onward. I even have a valve index that I got in December that is still in the box.I guess I’m just trying to get as much mileage out of my cv1 rift as I can before “transitioning”. The dearth of games is not making that too hard.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This probably is t the best place to be saying this, but aren’t most the games people talk about the same exact ones that have been there since 3 years ago? I love VR and I was a DK2 backer. but it’s very concerning When I start up the oculus app and I see the exact same games on the store from literally 2 or 3 years ago. Seems like you can count on one hand the “good” vr games that (a) aren’t be mods for games that were originally non vr (b) came out in the last one or two years (c) have aaa studio quality and do not feel like shovel ware.

I love assetto corsa with a wheel and that’s been my main vr experience lately. I have about 250 hours in onward. I even have a valve index that I got in December that is still in the box.I guess I’m just trying to get as much mileage out of my cv1 rift as I can before “transitioning”. The dearth of games is not making that too hard.
I'm I reading this right, you have a Ferrari parked in the garage but you're gonna keep driving your wee ford focus so you can get your moneys worth out of it??? Do you horde shit?

Don't even get me started on Elite in VR, man! I've been on an Elite bender since early January. Started a new CMDR and have just now gotten around to getting my explorer kitted out with the Guardian FSD Booster and G5 FSD range. Now I'm going after the other engineers again.

Made about half a bil with the new mining system, too. That update for pricing/rewards was just a breath of fresh air. Makes things so much more fun now that you actually get decent rewards for things. And they fixed the damn PWA FINALLY after a year, jfc.
You're way more advanced than me, I'm a total noob, twenty hours in and out of the nooby system but just pottering around in my cobra MK3 wondering what to do. I've got a cool 2mill in the bank and feel rich lol. I've done some combat missions and a bit of exploring (selling fss scans for pennies) and lots of cargo trips. Just started to actually by goods and sell them elsewhere too but that's not making me much.

Still very confused about the factions, super powers etc and how that'll play into my game and also not sure about unlocking engineers or whether that's for later game.

Also how'd you get a Sol permit? I wanna check out earth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom