• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Need an opinion. Occulus rift S how is it with people that wear glasses? I know the quest has a spacer, the rift s doesn't I didn't even see any 3rd party adapters. How big of a concern is this for someone with wire frames?
I found a good deal on a Rift S for the same cost as the 64gb quest 2. Would rift 2 be a good buy and would the glasses thing be an issue?

Also how is skyrim, doom and fallout, on vr ?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No clue but if price is similar just go for Quest 2, 90hz, better lenses, better revision controllers closer to CV1 quality and no fuss with proprietary connection cables, just any good usb cable (or wireless if that gets better) you can easily replace whether Oculus keeps providing replacements for an eol product or not.

That and more advantages before getting into the stand alone play and other stuff on top of PC VR. The hit from streaming over USB instead of native hdmi is minor in comparison.

Skyrim is pretty great, Fallout 4 not so much (maybe mods fix it, I dunno), the official Doom VFR isn't great but there are VR mods for classic Doom and other oldies like Quake (and newbies like Outer Wilds) which are pretty good. Some of this is in the OP.

Last edited:
So at the moment my set up is just on a breakfast bar looking into my lounge with two sensors about two meters apart. The tracking hasn't been great, and oddly half life is one of the worst affected games. Not sure what's going on. One of the biggest problems I have is low tracking when picking things up - I think the breakfast bar surface is blocking the line of sight.

Any tips for better tracking? Mounting isn't an option and I don't think I have enough usb slots for a third camera.

Alexios

The sensors may be too far from your play area too? They don't have huge range I think, I forget. If they are too high angle them further down so their view reaches to the floor. You could put something under the bases to angle more than the heads can. What about testing with the trackers on the breakfast counter itself (angled differently, less downward more straight so they view overhead motions still)? I had them on shelves and didn't have tracking problems before getting the 3rd (just used stick rotation instead of physically turn around back then). I later got simple and cheap adhesive stick-on mounting bases and had one on a bookshelf, another on a wall and the last on a cupboard but the one on the wall is back on the shelf now, it didn't stick on as well since the wall is very rough and bumpy, or I did it wrong. Edit: disregard whatever is not applicable, I thought you said they're somewhere above the breakfast bar at first. If the bar itself blocks their view fov they're too far back surely, move them towards the edge closer to you. On my high shelves I put them right on the edge and angled way down, no issues ever in tracking high or floor level, never even blocked both sensors with my body or anything during normal play for that to be an issue. Also, when it asks you to point toward the screen for "forward" when you set up the tracking of course you should point right between the two sensors instead, that's where you want to stand between when playing. Redo the setup and do move the controller around to see when the sensors lose track of it and stop you from proceeding rather than wait to get in game to test.

Last edited:
The sensors may be too far from your play area too? They don't have huge range I think, I forget. If they are too high angle them further down so their view reaches to the floor. You could put something under the bases to angle more than the heads can. What about testing with the trackers on the breakfast counter itself (angled differently, less downward more straight so they view overhead motions still)? I had them on shelves and didn't have tracking problems before getting the 3rd (just used stick rotation instead of physically turn around back then). I later got simple and cheap adhesive stick-on mounting bases and had one on a bookshelf, another on a wall and the last on a cupboard but the one on the wall is back on the shelf now, it didn't stick on as well since the wall is very rough and bumpy, or I did it wrong. Edit: disregard whatever is not applicable, I thought you said they're somewhere above the breakfast bar at first. If the bar itself blocks their view they're too far back surely, move them towards the edge closer to you. On my high shelves I put them right on the edge and angled way down, no issues ever in tracking high or floor level, never even blocked both sensors with my body or anything during normal play for that to be an issue.
Thanks, yeah I'm sure that's it to be honest. I'll bring them forward a bit and see what happens. My play area isn't the best to be honest but it'll do.

Alexios

This is what the placement of my sensors and small play area (basically standing VR for me, not room scale) look like. I'm sure it could be better. The points are so I can tell my direction in relation to my room with a glance at the guardian (which I set up to only show on the floor), that was more useful with only 2 sensor front VR.
1bnjpq.png
Ignore the program for now, it's Guardian Boundary Editor by EmuVR's developer, for many it doesn't work because it's not being updated still and it's only to be used after you set everything up to work well within Oculus, then you can just edit the shape with this if the wobbly lines you inevitably do manually annoy you like me, heh.

Height wise, they're currently set about at my own height and aimed downward but again, previously I had them lower with no issues, just another angle. Early on, I had them next to my monitor. You can imagine the cameras' vertical fov is similar to the horizontal fov shown here to gauge the angle/distance to cover head to toe...

Last edited:

Codiox

My brother picked up No Man’s Sky cheap on Steam. Seems like a killer app. I’m seriously thinking about getting a VR headset
Only problem is it runs like ass.

I got a Ryzen 7 3700X and a 3080 and it's barely gets to 75fps for my quest on low to medium settings and resolution scaling to 80%.

It also looks like a blurry mess then. This is also another of these games that are not made for VR so it renders the game 2 times. One for VR and one for the 2d screen. You need to make the 2d window as small as you can to get better performance.

This is what the placement of my sensors and small play area (basically standing VR for me, not room scale) look like. I'm sure it could be better. The points are so I can tell my direction in relation to my room with a glance at the guardian (which I set up to only show on the floor), that was more useful with only 2 sensor front VR.
1bnjpq.png
Ignore the program for now, it's Guardian Boundary Editor by EmuVR's developer, for many it doesn't work because it's not being updated still and it's only to be used after you set everything up to work well within Oculus, then you can just edit the shape with this if the wobbly lines you inevitably do manually annoy you like me, heh.

Height wise, they're currently set about at my own height and aimed downward but again, previously I had them lower with no issues, just another angle. Early on, I had them next to my monitor. You can imagine the cameras' vertical fov is similar to the horizontal fov shown here to gauge the angle/distance to cover head to toe...
Thanks, this is really helpful and I'll use it for reference. I moved them a bit closer to the edge and it helped quite a bit.

Hey looking for some recommendations.

I'm looking for a skill based game that has leaderboards and rankings, a quick pick up and play game that I can just spend time getting better and racking up a good score. I thought in death unchained would be the game but to my disgust, I think it's only on quest and not on rift (with only the original in death on rift, maybe I'm wrong?). So something in this vein would be great (or even a puzzle game with scores).

Edit, in thinking maybe robo recall, it looks pretty great with a relatively deep scoring system?

I'm also looking at one of Pavlov, contractors and zero caliber for a multiplayer FPS fix and I don't think either have a demo right now. Is Pavlov the best, it seems the most popular?

Last edited:

Alexios

Beat Saber and Pistol Whip (among other less famous games like synth riders, audica, oh shape and such) seem to fit your bill too. Cubism is a great puzzle game but I don't think there's any social high score trappings to it given its solve & forget nature.

I *think* Racket NX has high score trappings, it's some kind of breakout/tennis/puzzle hybrid thingie with various modes, techniques and score methods that looks potentially good for you. It has a demo it seems.

I liked Onward the most of the military FPS (very tactical, slower paced, liked its concept of co-op on top of pvp but it doesn't seem to be evolving that aspect much), then Contractors (fancier, more like COD, it started having co-op stuff too), then Pavlov (more like CS).

Pavlov was the first and is the most popular on PC with the most custom fan content. The others' Quest crossplay versions may save them population wise somewhat though, Contractors just got its own. Pavlov is on (side)Quest too but no crossplay to matter for PC.

For PVP FPS in general, not just the military variety, Grapple Tournament is amazing, very polished already like a next gen VR Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 with proper new methods for fast movement to fit VR. Dash Dash World looks like a nice competitive kart racer.

You're right about In Death, it's still decent though. It's a very old indie game and a wholly separate company bought it from the developer recently to put out an enhanced Quest version is the reason for the differences.

They all have 2 hour "demos" on Steam (you can get refunds on Oculus and they actually return to your bank, not as store credit, but it can take longer and idk if they would flag you as doing it too much, I've done it 2-3 times) ;)

Robo Recall is good but I'm over such stationary wave shooters. Plus you used to get it for free when they first launched Touch controllers when you registered them online so it feels off paying for it to me. I dunno if the use of unofficial mods (like free locomotion) has borked the high scores or it knows to separate them.

For new players I recommend spending time with stuff like the First Contact tutorial, Superhot VR and Beat Saber, maybe Thrill of the Fight and later full locomotion games like some of these, but if you're already looking for long term investments like that I guess you wanna skip one and done shorter games? They're still cool.

Last edited:
Beat Saber and Pistol Whip (among other less famous games like synth riders, audica, oh shape and such) seem to fit your bill too. Cubism is a great puzzle game but I don't think there's any social high score trappings to it given its solve & forget nature.

I *think* Racket NX has high score trappings, it's some kind of breakout/tennis/puzzle hybrid thingie with various modes, techniques and score methods that looks potentially good for you. It has a demo it seems.

I liked Onward the most of the military FPS (very tactical, slower paced, liked its concept of co-op on top of pvp but it doesn't seem to be evolving that aspect much), then Contractors (fancier, more like COD, it started having co-op stuff too), then Pavlov (more like CS).

Pavlov was the first and is the most popular on PC with the most custom fan content. The others' Quest crossplay versions may save them population wise somewhat though, Contractors just got its own. Pavlov is on (side)Quest too but no crossplay to matter for PC.

For PVP FPS in general, not just the military variety, Grapple Tournament is amazing, very polished already like a next gen VR Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 with proper new methods for fast movement to fit VR. Dash Dash World looks like a nice competitive kart racer.

You're right about In Death, it's still decent though. It's a very old indie game and a wholly separate company bought it from the developer recently to put out an enhanced Quest version is the reason for the differences.

They all have 2 hour "demos" on Steam (you can get refunds on Oculus and they actually return to your bank, not as store credit, but it can take longer and idk if they would flag you as doing it too much, I've done it 2-3 times) ;)

Robo Recall is good but I'm over such stationary wave shooters. Plus you used to get it for free when they first launched Touch controllers when you registered them online so it feels off paying for it to me. I dunno if the use of unofficial mods (like free locomotion) has borked the high scores or it knows to separate them.

For new players I recommend spending time with stuff like the First Contact tutorial, Superhot VR and Beat Saber, maybe Thrill of the Fight and later full locomotion games like some of these, but if you're already looking for long term investments like that I guess you wanna skip one and done shorter games? They're still cool.
A quick reply for now - grapple looks awesome and has a demo so downloading now. (Although I take your point about all of them having a demo as such).

I've got Beat saber, was the first game I downloaded and it's fantastic. Will be playing that for a long time i think. Same with superhot, just finished the campaign once through and it might be my favourite vr game so far. I'm gonna invest some time in the new holiday themed score attack mode which I didn't know it had.

Ok so I went with pablov but I'm requesting a refund as it's really bare bones and basic. It's fun enough and I'd happily keep it but I might as well use the money to try the other FPS and then make a choice.

Also, I've seen population one being mentioned now and it looks pretty good from what I've seen. Anyone tried it? Would I like it if I liked apex legends?

Stitch

Gold Member
Some users with NVIDIA GPUs are experiencing dropped frames with SteamVR 1.15. If you encounter this issue on a 10xx or 20xx card, consider rolling back your GPU drivers to 446.14. This resolved the issue for many people.
Sooo... VR Performance on Nvidia Cards is broken since May? I didn't really notice anything weird on my RTX 2080...

I got Tales of Glory 2 because the videos looked interesting and the price was decent. Only played for about half an hour but yeah so far this is pretty good. Made by only one person, was just released in Early Access and somehow is more fun than Zero Caliber. Which isn't bad but this has a few more features which make it more fun to play. Like way more NPCs on screen They aren't very smart but the ones in Zero Caliber are even dumber. Or how you can drag wounded teammates to safety and heal them or how you can grab enemies and snap their necks lol

Also got Disassembly which is fun but has a lot of problems. Grabbing stuff is really clunky and sometimes objects just fly through the whole room because you were an inch too close, sometimes things just stick to your hands and you can't get rid of them, sometimes your whole body somehow gets stuck and forces you in a third person-like state which makes it unplayable. Had to restart levels a lot because of this.

Alexios

Ok so I went with pablov but I'm requesting a refund as it's really bare bones and basic. It's fun enough and I'd happily keep it but I might as well use the money to try the other FPS and then make a choice.

Also, I've seen population one being mentioned now and it looks pretty good from what I've seen. Anyone tried it? Would I like it if I liked apex legends?
Probably the most polished and biggest (crossplay with Quest) VR Battle Royale but I don't really like its concept with having building and stuff like Fortnite as well as the simplified shooting with actual crosshair so I've not tried it. I think it's on Oculus Store only atm.

There's also Virtual Battlegrounds on Steam but it's probably less polished, I dunno, I'm not really big on PVP stuff myself (hence my comments for the co-op stuff over the other FPS games except Grapple Tournament).
Anyone try this out? Seems like a mindblowing way to play NES games

It looks cute but I think I'd get over its novelty quickly, at least for most games that aren't Duck Hunt so have only classic controls rather than awesome VR lightgun action to justify the VR (it's also a non VR app for desktop folks).

MARE is coming to PC too, after the Quest launch, hence the posting it here in the PC VR thread. Can't wait, it's looked so good for so long (before it was announced for Quest maybe) it's on page 1 of this thread, lol, I was so glad when the devs said it's alive and kicking.

Last edited:
So now, I've gone and bought eleven table tennis, I've got a real buying new games addiction, send help!

My goodness is it realistic though. It really feels like you're playing a game of table tennis, the physics are spot on.

I need to stop buying new games now though, sale or no sale, I need to actually play the ones I've got.

Btw, I have no steam or Oculus friens. Feel free to add me, same name as here.

Stitch

Gold Member
Also got Disassembly which is fun but has a lot of problems. Grabbing stuff is really clunky and sometimes objects just fly through the whole room because you were an inch too close, sometimes things just stick to your hands and you can't get rid of them, sometimes your whole body somehow gets stuck and forces you in a third person-like state which makes it unplayable. Had to restart levels a lot because of this.
Well I've refunded it. Way too glitchy for a 20 bucks game.

Also bought STRIDE but refunded it pretty fast because I'm too retarded for the controls :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Star Wars squadrons on Rift S is for real one of those “I’m living in the future now” experiences. As someone who grew up on X-Wing, this is a dream come true
Project Wingman is almost equally cool for your Ace Combat/Top Gun fantasies (minus multiplayer but a longer campaign and the roguelite conquest mode on top) and while VTOL VR is content/graphics starved in comparison the interactive cockpit experience it offers as an actual (if light) simulator is 100% legit & unmatched.

Last edited:

Alexios

An all new ~10 minute gameplay video with a boss fight and the lead up to it is up on Naau's Steam page.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Picked up Paper Beast on Steam the other day for the Valve Index. Game is stunning. How the A.I reacts as well as the physics engine, just incredible what Pixel Reef Studios has done. Can see the similarities to Eric Chahi's (Out of this World) earlier game, "From Dust" in terms of physics implementation/fluid dynamics. Very highly recommended.

Stitch

Gold Member
haha looks like most or all of the stuff that I didn't like was fixed :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Alexios

Last edited:

Solarstrike

PSA if you picked up alien isolation for free from Epic in December you can now play in VR with a mod as it's been adapted to work with the Epic version. I tried it last night and it worked fine.
Awesome. Will definitely give this one a go in VR wearing an extra pair of undies for sure. For close encounters

Awesome. Will definitely give this one a go in VR wearing an extra pair of undies for sure. For close encounters
Lol I started off nervous but nothing really happened in the first 40 mins and by the end I was strolling around hoping to see an alien.

Ended up using my epic voucher to grab star wars squadrons for just £11. It wasn't really on my radar for some reason but I realised it's basically a AAA vr title (and there's not tons of them) and at that price it's a steal.

Played a little of the story mode and it's great, and I see there's a popular and seemingly quite robust multiplayer too so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

Man, I've got maybe 10 VR games on the go at the moment. I'm gonna have to drop something.

In other news, eleven table tennis is fab, the ranked mode is great and you can get a match really quickly. It's just like playing a real game pretty much.

pr0cs

Played a little of the story mode and it's great
welp, single player is fun, the game is well suited for VR and runs fantastic. The story is a bit meh and some of the chats/interactions with the characters is cringeworthy but the core game loop and combat is fantastic.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So the good news: preordered an Index Kit on Christmas Eve. It was delivered on Friday. I am amazed after hearing all the stories of it taking months. The Index is fucking superb.

The bad news: took me about 15 hours of troubleshooting, moving furniture, covering shiny surfaces like a tin-foil hat lunatic, downloading drivers etc., etc., but I finally figured out that haptic feedback causes my controllers to lose tracking. In contact with Valve support now. Fingers crossed for an advanced RMA.

You just can't have it all, man.

Do we have any quality, on-rails, arcade shooters like Time Crisis and House of the Dead yet? Or just indie stuff that 'kinda' hits the mark, but not fully? I had hopes for Serious Sam, but it turned out to be more of a static shooting gallery style (stand in one spot and pew-pew the waves of enemies that rush at you) of game from the little I played of it. Rez infinite is technically what I'm looking for, but it felt more like an acid trip than a game.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Do we have any quality, on-rails, arcade shooters like Time Crisis and House of the Dead yet? Or just indie stuff that 'kinda' hits the mark, but not fully? I had hopes for Serious Sam, but it turned out to be more of a static shooting gallery style (stand in one spot and pew-pew the waves of enemies that rush at you) of game from the little I played of it. Rez infinite is technically what I'm looking for, but it felt more like an acid trip than a game.
Serious Sam 1/2 has you sprinting around like a mad man. Definitely would not call it a shooting gallery at all. It's basically the original games but in VR.

Also don't even bother with these if you can't handle smooth turning or get motion sickness.

Serious Sam 1/2 has you sprinting around like a mad man. Definitely would not call it a shooting gallery at all. It's basically the original games but in VR.

Also don't even bother with these if you can't handle smooth turning or get motion sickness.
I was thinking more along the lines of movement being controlled by the game. Isn't SS 1/2 just the original fps games, but in VR?

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I was thinking more along the lines of movement being controlled by the game. Isn't SS 1/2 just the original fps games, but in VR?

Yep that's it exactly.

I misunderstood I guess. You want an on-rails shooter but not a shooting gallery? That's pretty niche and it seems like the same thing to me but what do I know?

I think something like Pistol Whip would work for you but that adds in a heavy rhythm element.

Yep that's it exactly.

I misunderstood I guess. You want an on-rails shooter but not a shooting gallery? That's pretty niche and it seems like the same thing to me but what do I know?

I think something like Pistol Whip would work for you but that adds in a heavy rhythm element.
On-rails, but not a static shooting gallery. Like, not standing in one spot staring at the same scenery/backdrop, but instead zipping along from room to room, stairwells, rooftops, helicopters, etc. Cinematic, uncontrolled movement, where everything is constantly changing but all you gotta worry about is shooting and reloading.

Like this:

Alexios

The Crisis VRigade games (and their fans) claim to be Time Crisis-esque but I don't think they get it right. Still you can try them and see for yourself.

Operation Serpens also seems to have some potential but I've not actually tried it just yet, I just haven't felt like it so far, though I do follow the dev's progress.

Personally I think the closest to an actual lightgun shooter for VR is Drop Dead: Dual Strike. It's nowhere near as tight as actual SEGA classics but yeah, it's pretty good fun.

Beyond that all you can do is look into EmuVR and see if you can get it working to play the classics in VR (not with the game environment surrounding you but on a simulated in VR TV, still the VR controllers make for great lightgun action with perfect accuracy). I manage to run the likes of HOTD2 Dreamcast on it and it's ace.

And also hope that Panzer Dragoon will be good (but a different sort of rail shooter) when it eventually gets actually crowd funded and developed further as it was recently postponed.

Edit: what he said about Pistol Whip is true too, it feels very virtua copy if you enable the deadeye game modifier which means it requires proper accuracy instead of just vaguely pointing toward the enemies and pulling the trigger. It's not its main intent of play however and you probably won't score as highly as folks not using the modifier as I don't feel it gives enough of a score boost to use it and should be an altogether different scoreboard instead (I feel like proper aiming takes from your rhythm play capabilities too much in comparison but maybe that's just me having no rhythm in me and ending up just playing it like a shooter, you can always trial it).

Last edited:

Alexios

MARE came out on Quest, hopefully impressions will show it's as good as it looks and bode well for the PC release coming soon...
Machizzle also just released and is hopefully another good VR puzzle game to play alongside the likes of the recent Cubism game.

Last edited:
Ragnarock: pound drums on a viking ship to celtic rock and viking metal. I don't normally like rhythm games, but I can't stop playing this. Solo and multiplayer races. The better you play, the faster your vikings row. It's early access and still pretty barebones with only about fifteen songs right now, but there's a ton of potential. Even if the devs were never going to add a thing, I've gotten my money's worth.

Alexios

Huge Pavlov update with 3-man crew tanks & shit in a new 15 vs 15 map/mode (paging INC INC , it's not VR Battlefield but it's still an increase in players). This will probably get me to try it again even though I preferred other VR FPS.
giphy.gif
3a3968e619bc939209a9fffaa273b96d86e8a7ed.jpg
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
CtkvjbH.png
FeH6kif.png

Last edited:

INC

Yeh been following the rush mod thats being made, by the community, along side this update

I hope the ww2 guns don't have pavlovs normal gun style of recoil

Looks good tho

Been playing a lot of contractors lately, thats now got a decent community as well, since the quest release

Alexios

This looks like a really well done Skyrim VR mod to enhance immersion and the overall feel. Even at its most basic it's a pretty extensive overhaul to just grab something manually or with alyx style grav pull and then just put it over your shoulder to inventory instead of a drab point and click deal.

Dumb vr question incoming in 3...2...1...

Does each game showing what I'm seeing on my laptop screen not cost processing power? In guessing it doesn't as it's just mirroring the headset?

If not, can I disable having the second screen to boost performance?

Top Bottom