• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Last edited:

Alexios

Hopefully, like the Vader Immortal series before it, this gets ported everywhere too after launch: Still looks like a very scripted adventure however, just perhaps more competent and varied. We'll see.

Last edited:

Alexios

Legit, or scam, or nothing? Questionable choice of games to name drop but still. The rest sounds great..?
Impossible for just ~450 (4320x2160, face/eye tracking, finger/pressure tracking) + the ~50 wireless kit.

Oh, and the extra hip sensor, to dictate your orientation decoupled from the HMD/controllers! Too much!
decagear_order_box_new-1.png

Last edited:

INC

Is there anyway to see how many people are playing pop one and how much its sold?

Just looked at the specs, wow, such a low entry spec, which is awesome, and still looks decent, clever art design and scaling

Last edited:

Alexios

Tweet devs? Nice to know it runs well (though it's a Quest game), janky performance/BR games are bleh.

Last edited:
now with a Quest I have actual good roomscale and by consequence access to a particular category of experiences only possible in VR: procedural generation of portal-like mazes the size of your available space!

as primitive and kinda gimmicky as they are for now, games like Tea for God and TraVRsal are genuinely mind-blowing for this concept. They're generating compact dungeons that you walk around entirely with your own legs, contorting around your available space in non-euclidean geometry.

It's genuinely ingenious and fascinating the range of different experiences that can fit in the concept, exemplified in the experiences in TraVRsal. Downright the first experience I'll put family members into because there's no motion sickness involved and it's just such an awesome use of immersion.

There are platforms going up and down as well and even some backtracking available. so surreal... highly recommended

Alexios

Tea for God is great for anyone with a decent amount of space, has native Quest and PC versions, and it keeps improving, it might have nice compelling roguelite gameplay outside the fascination of the full freedom of movement in VR some day. Unseen Diplomacy 2 is still in development too.

Last edited:

Alexios

No idea what that means for users. Obviously you still need a Facebook account to buy/play Oculus games and they will be tied to it so nothing new in regards to that (save for potential back ups I suppose?). I guess being able to use the kit for sidequest and such sideloading apps without ever needing an account? Would it also be able to be supported by SteamVR natively, will someone make their own drivers and OpenXR support for it, will Valve themselves do it once the system is wide open so people can use it for PC VR without even installing the Oculus app at all, just as a generic PC VR kit, will later firmware updates lock this out? We'll see.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Tried this for a tiny bit. I dunno what to think yet. Is it an indie-like love letter to space/hard sci-fi or a really weird and shallow B team effort? The idea is to gather resources with your drone to progress through the missions and enable your mobile space station to travel around the solar system to different points of interest for more drone missions and eventually get the fuck out of there with interstellar travel to find a new home for the remaining 5000 strong human population that's presumably in stasis as it takes years to go from place to place on the map but the population remains intact so far. So there are the mission areas where you control the drone, one of many you can eventually acquire/build or something and the map screen where you move the whole station around. You can rotate the camera and zoom in toward and out away from the drone you control. It has semi realistic newtonian space flight but a very simple interface that automates a lot of it so you don't need to do calculations to go from a to b or anything, it controls very simply and effortlessly to the point I don't know where the gameplay will come from, the missions so far are rigid and just going in the proximity of resources acquired them like Super Mario coins, the control is simple as said already so, is it gonna time limit you, is it gonna send you to tighter spaces so you need to manage your drone more thoroughly, or what exactly, will the map open up and give you more opportunity to basically do something on your own and decide things strategically? There's mining and stuff in the trailers so perhaps those pose some kind of challenge but so far it's nothing like say, Hardspace: Shipbreaker or learning to control real space station stuff as in Mission: ISS.

Last edited:

Alexios

Again, just posting this as hopefully like Vader Immortal or other initial Quest exclusives it'll be ported...

Last edited:
Warhammer now has 2 games recently announced for VR: Battlesister and Tempestfall, both developed by known VR indie studios.

is this now a trend, just like it happened with TWD? I hope so, if big studios don't give a damn, let smaller studios license and work on individual chapters for the franchise in VR.

Alexios

Warhammer was getting smaller studio games, there have been loads, from Warhammer Quest to Armageddon, Inquisitor, Vermintide, to sister IP like Space Hulk, Mordheim and Battlefleet Gothic. I hope this will be cool, I didn't stick with their The Wizards - Dark Times to the end myself.

Last edited:

Alexios

I wanted to try White Day VR but it just gets a fatal error, I hope they fix it (it only supports Vive atm apparently, yikes, oh well). Some more smaller updates but also just check the Steam and other sales, various VR games are on, Alyx included:

Last edited:
is Pavlov still populated? Is Quest version crossplay with pc?

Every time I try it it's just me and same 2 other folks...

then again, perhaps players just moved over to POP1

Alexios

I don't play Pavlov, I think the only crossplay FPS of the sort (tactical military 2 team vs pvp, not sci fi and battle royale etc. like Solaris or Population: One) on Quest is Onward. Edit: seems like Contractors has some preliminary Quest crossplay support too.

Last edited:

INC

I don't play Pavlov, I think the only crossplay FPS of the sort (tactical military 2 team vs pvp, not sci fi and battle royale etc. like Solaris or Population: One) on Quest is Onward. Edit: seems like Contractors has some preliminary Quest crossplay support too.

Contractors is a decent middle ground between pavlov and onward

Last edited:

Alexios

Yes, I might prefer it to Onward for PVP, I just don't do PVP much, I prefer Onward for co-op/solo tactical bs. But it doesn't seem like they intend to develop that aspect much further sadly. Why doesn't anyone make something like SWAT3&4/Rainbow Six 3/Ghost Recon missions in VR (or out of VR, even wannabes just do PVP, lol).

At least Wolfdog Interactive's Panther VR looks like a promising Splinter Cell-like, I should get my sneaky shooty thrills there if it turns out good enough (I was already disappointed with Espire 1: VR Operative but these guys seem to know what they're doing with the design more). Also Crunch Element has that to some degree too.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yes, I might prefer it to Onward for PVP, I just don't do PVP much, I prefer Onward for co-op/solo tactical bs. But it doesn't seem like they intend to develop that aspect much further sadly. Why doesn't anyone make something like SWAT3&4/Rainbow Six 3/Ghost Recon missions in VR (or out of VR, even wannabes just do PVP, lol).

At least Wolfdog Interactive's Panther VR looks like a promising Splinter Cell-like, I should get my sneaky shooty thrills there if it turns out good enough (I was already disappointed with Espire 1: VR Operative but these guys seem to know what they're doing with the design more). Also Crunch Element has that to some degree too.
So after saying that a random SWAT-like popped up in today's releases. It looks janky as fuck but maybe it'll develop into something decent. The AI states and voice commands look good, it's the basics other games get right like the shooting and overall feel that looks way off. Fingers crossed, maybe. At least someone is trying...
gif02.gif
gif01.gif

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Anyone willing to give me their experiences of the Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop?

I have a Valve Index that's in my computer room, but it's very cramped and not ideal for VR, especially not a lighthouse setup.

I was thinking of picking up a Quest 2 + wifi 6 router so I can play in the living room. I have an ethernet cable going from my PC through the wall to my wifi router in my living room currently. I was curious how well Virtual Desktop works for Half-Life Alyx, in particular. Any latency or noticable loss in fidelity? Any comparisons to the Valve Index would be a big help.

Alexios

I wish I had a Quest 2 to help you there :p
So this guy made a converter for osu! to Audica levels that apparently works pretty great as shown here:

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Woot, Grapple Tournament is out in ea, it looks like such an awesome and polished and true VR arena fps!

Last edited:

Alexios

Ubisoft released 10 "tips and tricks" videos for AGOS, I guess in hopes people don't play because it's hard.
Watching the 10th video it seems like the game gets considerably more complex than the first few levels.

Last edited:

Alexios

Tales of glory 2 please dont be 5v5, hopefully bf scale, please be at least decent
I think it's a solo thing like Tales of Glory (1) which was Mount & Blade-ish in VR and this takes the same concept to modern warfare, much like there's non VR Mount & Blade and Freeman: Guerilla Warfare which takes that concept to modern warfare... Sorry dude, postpone the dream again :x

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: INC

Alexios

This "linear missions" co-op mode they're gonna be adding to Contractors sounds promising for me :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

They had this via reddit a couple days ago but they removed it for some reason so here it is on the tube.

Last edited:
as silly and janky as it looks, I'm actually kinda hyped for Tarzan VR. hope it's a bit more challenging than it looks, but it really feels like it's an experience first, game second...

blows my mind how outdated and anti intuitive Steam feels

now, I'm telling this as a pc gaming noob, ok? Been a console boy forever and only trying it now to try some pcvr games

So, Redout is on sale and I heard it has VR and that the demo too has VR, so the other day I just connected the Quest 2 with a cable and tried my luck. No luck, it just displayed the game on a virtual screen

so, I searched and it doesn't suffice to have steam installed - you need steam VR installed. Great, so in steam I look up VR or any link to see if steam VR comes up and it doesn't. So I just search directly for steam VR and it has a page but no download or install button at all.

So I need to open a browser, search steam VR on Google and from there finally install it. It even asks if steam is installed, so smart...

to me this feels like a real mess of a platform. It looks stuck in the early 2000s for design decisions, including small letters in dark background... Everything should be snappy and automatic by now, feels like a trip to another era...

Off topic rant off

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
was about to say Sam and Max VR is just like Rick and Morty VR, a collection of the usual VR minigames of shooting, climbing and throwing, but then I remember Virtual Rick-a-lity actually had some interesting puzzles. Depressing to think the classic series may see none...

VR is getting nowhere with cheap licenses in bad idiotic games, don't blame VR for gamers not seeing the point...

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
Top Bottom