• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Solaris is out now. It looks okay, a bit too simplistic (the pitfalls of designing for Quest first I guess) and conventional (compared to Echo Combat for example) and not even very polished (characters animate weird, FPS games solved that issue aeons ago but somehow VR devs can't follow the same principles). It could be fun for a while but I don't see it getting a large following. It's neither deep like Onward nor trigger happy fun like Space Junkies or hopefully Grapple Tournament. Some compare it to classics like Quake but it doesn't seem to have the mobility, depth or skill ceiling.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Phasmophobia got a first update and is raising in popularity with over 1500 largely positive reviews so far!
The Outer Rim 3 is out now, if you didn't catch the teaser video for this awesome mod that I posted earlier.
Vox Machinae just got another big update of its own as well with tons of cool goodies and improvements!

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Last edited:

Alexios

First reviews for Survios' TWD: Onslaught coming in. It seems shit. Nice enough graphics and controls, zero game design. We'll see tomorrow when it releases but yeah. Instead get Skydance's TWD: Saints & Sinners which is ace!

Last edited:

psn

Okay, here is a tough one.

I really really like my Oculus Rift S. Light, easy to set up, good tracking, good image quality. Could use a higher refresh rate imo. Facebook on the other hand - I don't like where this is heading.
(Remember the promises Oculus made when Facebook bought them? https://time.com/38366/here-are-7-promises-oculus-has-made-after-getting-bought-by-facebook/)

So I decided to go the expensive route. I bought a Valve Index Kit. And I really want to like it. But it is really hard.

Initial impressions - Negatives first:
Heavier, not as comfortable as the Rift S. Neither for me nor for my girlfriend.
Get's really warm just by being on standby.
The basestations (2.0) are really loud. They emit a really high pitched tone. Jesus. I can hear them from 10m away.
The Glare / God rays - I never experienced such a bad glare in any other Headset. I had the Rift CV1, HTC Vive Pro and (I still have) the Rift S. Not only do you see god rays from white text on black background - you also have the weird glare on normal environments when you move your head around, looks like internal reflections.
I found an example video here:
9zgsvco33qqz.png

I didn't watch the whole video so excuse the clickbait title, just wanted to make sure my Headset is not broken. And it seems to be a very common issue. My Rift CV1 was bad, but this looks worse imo. (full vid here )

The good:
The Refresh rate is great for Beat Saber and FPS. It looks sooo smooth. I have a 240Hz monitor for 2d gaming, I really appreciate that.
The Controllers and the headset have that premium feel when you unbox it and touch it for the first time.
Finger Tracking is a nice idea. Gives you that tiny bit more immersion when you really grab something instead of pulling a trigger.
Tracking is the best I ever experienced (or at least on par with the Rift CV1 with 3 cameras).
Subjective: I trust Valve more than Facebook
Subjective: FOV - The difference is smaller than I thought. Just a tiny bit more. It is nice to have, but I expected it to be a bigger difference.

Neutral:
Set up is not as easy as the Oculus Rift S Setup, but it's still fairly easy.

The Price? Almost 3x the price of a Rift S. But hey, that is not the problem here. My biggest problem is the glare. It is really putting me off. I really want to enjoy it but it seems like such a big step backwards in image quality. I know that you probably get more used to it. But that alone seems like such a big downgrade that it is hard for me to justify my purchase. Really. I am _that_ disappointed that I sit here and write this shitty post instead of having fun :/

But what are my options? Reverb G2 has great resolution, worse tracking than my Rift S and not the 144Hz smoothness of the Index. And while the big resolution would be really great in theory, it is also much more demanding. My GPU is just an RTX 2080.

Last edited:
Okay, here is a tough one.

I really really like my Oculus Rift S. Light, easy to set up, good tracking, good image quality. Could use a higher refresh rate imo. Facebook on the other hand - I don't like where this is heading.
(Remember the promises Oculus made when Facebook bought them? https://time.com/38366/here-are-7-promises-oculus-has-made-after-getting-bought-by-facebook/)

So I decided to go the expensive route. I bought a Valve Index Kit. And I really want to like it. But it is really hard.

Initial impressions - Negatives first:
Heavier, not as comfortable as the Rift S. Neither for me nor for my girlfriend.
Get's really warm just by being on standby.
The basestations (2.0) are really loud. They emit a really high pitched tone. Jesus. I can hear them from 10m away.
The Glare / God rays - I never experienced such a bad glare in any other Headset. I had the Rift CV1, HTC Vive Pro and (I still have) the Rift S. Not only do you see god rays from white text on black background - you also have the weird glare on normal environments when you move your head around, looks like internal reflections.
I found an example video here:
9zgsvco33qqz.png

I didn't watch the whole video so excuse the clickbait title, just wanted to make sure my Headset is not broken. And it seems to be a very common issue. My Rift CV1 was bad, but this looks worse imo. (full vid here )

The good:
The Refresh rate is great for Beat Saber and FPS. It looks sooo smooth. I have a 240Hz monitor for 2d gaming, I really appreciate that.
The Controllers and the headset have that premium feel when you unbox it and touch it for the first time.
Finger Tracking is a nice idea. Gives you that tiny bit more immersion when you really grab something instead of pulling a trigger.
Tracking is the best I ever experienced (or at least on par with the Rift CV1 with 3 cameras).
Subjective: I trust Valve more than Facebook
Subjective: FOV - The difference is smaller than I thought. Just a tiny bit more. It is nice to have, but I expected it to be a bigger difference.

Neutral:
Set up is not as easy as the Oculus Rift S Setup, but it's still fairly easy.

The Price? Almost 3x the price of a Rift S. But hey, that is not the problem here. My biggest problem is the glare. It is really putting me off. I really want to enjoy it but it seems like such a big step backwards in image quality. I know that you probably get more used to it. But that alone seems like such a big downgrade that it is hard for me to justify my purchase. Really. I am _that_ disappointed that I sit here and write this shitty post instead of having fun :/

But what are my options? Reverb G2 has great resolution, worse tracking than my Rift S and not the 144Hz smoothness of the Index. And while the big resolution would be really great in theory, it is also much more demanding. My GPU is just an RTX 2080.

Quick question, have you enabled this setting?:

nykwrw2.png

Cause that will solve the "base stations are constantly emitting a high pitched noise", since they'll basically only turn on when you're using your headset, that noise was bothering me too, but ever since I enabled this it's blissful silence. (you don't hear them either way when you're actually using the headset)

Last edited:

psn

Quick question, have enabled this setting?:

Cause that will solve the "base stations are constantly emitting a high pitched noise", since they'll basically only turn on when you're using your headset, that noise was bothering me too, but ever since I enabled this it's blissful silence. (you don't hear them either way when you're actually using the headset)
Thank you man, but I had it enabled. Good hint though for everyone else. It wasn't well worded probably. With "constantly emitting a high pitched noise" I meant "they do it constantly while turned on". And by hearing it from far away for example when you go to the kitchen to get some drinks. And while it is not that loud with the headset on, my girlfriend has to deal with it all the time (when she surfs with her smartphone or tablet on the couch) while I play.

But that is really not the most important part for me. It's a negative, but I can deal with it.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Edit: I randomly discovered this was already posted in one of the TLDR sized posts (holy fuck, is anyone actually able to go through all of that..).

Last edited:

Alexios

Feel free to repost and/or discuss. I missed the tweet about Waltz of the Wizard had a trailer to go with it, I'd have embedded that in the first place, I hate browsing on my phone while my PC is out of order :)

Last edited:

Alexios

Whew, new PSU arrived, my PC doesn't seem to have fried anything else, I'm back and there are awesome new VR trailers to go with that (I mean, I was't gone but browsing and posting form my phone sucked):D

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Footage of Population One popping up online with the NDA lift. Not gonna post all of the tubers. It looks pretty decent and decently polished (though not for me, I don't do BR and I'm not a fan of having crosshair in VR FPS, except for arcadey games or arena shooters like Grapple Tournament).

Last edited:

sixamp

So being I've never had a VR headset what are some of the Do's and Fonts of owning one?

If I feel like sitting will my character in a game crouch walk or something? What about mic's , is there push to talk or is it open mic?

Phasmophobia does look fun and far more interesting than I supposed:

perhaps more scary too when playing alone or with more serious folks :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Alexios

So being I've never had a VR headset what are some of the Do's and Fonts of owning one?

If I feel like sitting will my character in a game crouch walk or something? What about mic's , is there push to talk or is it open mic?
Depends on the game, most tend to have options to play seated and relegate crouching to a button and stuff like that. Not sure about mics, I don't do online much and leave it open mic if I do but I imagine it varies by game/options.

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Grapple Tournament looks so cool. Where others excuse shallow design by claiming it's old school this appears to be a true arena FPS with all that made the classics great. Readable yet cool art (from the levels to the hud, love the crosshair and hit indicator), mobility, map verticality, weapons...

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

This should unlock any moment now. It's improved so much visually, we'll see if later levels make it a worthy puzzle game.

More cool footage from the arena shooter Grapple Tournament, it looks like the best of the genre for VR.

Last edited:

Alexios

This NSFW game honestly looks surprisingly well made. It's not your average sexy anime girl game, that's for sure. Also Node finally jumped on the Phasmophobia bandwagon but the wimps didn't do it in VR.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
Top Bottom