• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC modding is great

evanft

Mods really are the killer app for PC games. This year I played through Mass Effect Andromeda with an extensive mod list and it was like an entirely different game. Then there are mods/fixes for older games that allow them to play nice on modern systems or fix issues left unfixed by the developer.

regawdless

Banned
Outside of the obvious performance advantage, mods and reshade are the most important things that keep me playing mainly on PC.

Removing the stupid fall damage in Witcher 3, enabling fast travel from anywhere, no weight limit etc. Made the game so much more enjoyable.
Also, some character mods for the new Resident Evil games are great. Like swapping Mr. X with stupid other models.
And reshade made it possible to remove the fugly piss filter from RE2 Remake.

Kazza

Yeah tits are great.

Some of those Resident Evil mods - Jesus... I don't think I could actually play the games like that though, too distracting.

Mods do amazing things with strategy games too. For the Total War and Civ series there are mods which pretty much completely change the game (mechanics, AI everything). It's incredible value.

I always shake my head at the console warriors who think that gaming on PC is only about $3000 PCMR dick waving.

Wunray

Yeah tits are great.
barack obama president GIF

diffusionx

Gold Member
With the exception of performance mods that improve the game's experience, I prefer not to play games that modify the creator's vision.

Seems tacky to do so, in my opinion.
I definitely get this, but sometimes I play a game and say something like "well this is great except for _____". If a mod is out there that can change ____ for me, then great. Is it the creator's vision, no, but sometimes this stuff is a matter of taste and if a bad .05% is going to stop me from enjoying the great 99.5%, then why not...

I definitely get this, but sometimes I play a game and say something like "well this is great except for _____". If a mod is out there that can change ____ for me, then great. Is it the creator's vision, no, but sometimes this stuff is a matter of taste and if a bad .05% is going to stop me from enjoying the great 99.5%, then why not...
I agree 100%

Lethal01

With the exception of performance mods that improve the game's experience, I prefer not to play games that modify the creator's vision.

Seems tacky to do so, in my opinion.

I usually agree, except for cases where it's something like a mod that makes it impossible for me to use items rather than me just choosing not to to increase difficulty. Small things that I could already get the result without mods, just makes it more elegant. I'd love a mod to add a timer on what food you can eat in BoTW.

Also cases like when Tifa's boobs don't jiggle, a case where the creator's vision is objectively wrong.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i like that they are possible. that's what's great about PC. mods aren't really for me though.

only mods i have used are performance ones for Bethesda games. without them in FO4 i was getting huge fps drops from like 70fps to 20fps. i had to install a dynamic shadow mod but fps would still drop to ~35fps at times lol.

i don't like mods that change gameplay too much. i prefer to play games as the developer intended. so yeah i'd only use mods that fix bugs/improve performance.

Love mods. They offer new content that is sometimes well made and polished. They also extend the life of many games that by nature are kind of repetitive. Total War: Warhammer 2 is a great example. The modding scene is thriving and creates a wealth of content and overhauls for the game. The base game is excellent and totally worth playing but the sheer number and variety of mods send it to the next level for me. Creative Assembly fully supports modders, too. They spotlight modders from time to time and have even incorporated mods into the full game as mechanics.

Rheon

Mods are what has kept me coming back to Skyrim over and over again over the past 9 years.

God bless modders.

Also cases like when Tifa's boobs don't jiggle, a case where the creator's vision is objectively wrong.
denzel washington GIF

i like that they are possible. that's what's great about PC. mods aren't really for me though.

only mods i have used are performance ones for Bethesda games. without them in FO4 i was getting huge fps drops from like 70fps to 20fps. i had to install a dynamic shadow mod but fps would still drop to ~35fps at times lol.

i don't like mods that change gameplay too much. i prefer to play games as the developer intended. so yeah i'd only use mods that fix bugs/improve performance.
honest question:

Did you try the nude mods for Cyberpunk already?

Vick

Of course it is. It is much more than great, actually.

Sure there's tons of really awful mods but also truly game-changing ones able to put PC versions of some games leagues above the original and make them basically immortal.

Last edited:
Most recently mods allowed me to play Psychonauts at 4k/60fps in widescreen with reworked textures that matched the resolution.

Then there's the fun stuff.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Try SkyUI mod than came back here saying again you want to play as the developer intended.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Seems the video in the OP was already taken down.

But I agree! My most recent, amazing mod experience was with an unexpected game. Far Cry 5 of all things.

Those games have been my comfort food all the way back to the first one. But in 5 I quit after a few hours because of how many fucking enemies and animals there were. Seriously. If you've played it you know you can walk more than fifty meters without a cougar jumping you or a plane bombing you or a pickup full of cultists driving by.

downloaded one mod. It not only reduced encounters by 200% (slider) but I also introduced random weapons into the enemy weapons pool making the game not only playable, but much more interesting.

Modding is great, man.

Top Bottom