• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC is finally the golden standard for gaming

Kacho

Gold Member
Yeah, PC has really picked up steam over the past few years. It used to be that consoles got all the games you wanted to play and PC maybe got a handful of them. Now just about everything drops on PC and consoles are often getting late/inferior ports of popular PC games.

Plus we're seeing stuff like Elite Dangerous and 7 Days to Die completely abandoning consoles and that's pulling people over to PC. Kinda wild.

kingfey

Banned
During the 90s? Yes! Fucking age of pure joy and wonder. My high school years were spent playing Heretic, Journeyman Project, Baldurs Gate and countless nights playing neverwinter nights mods,

Now it’s nothing but console ports.
EA=dead
Ubisoft=Dead
Rockstar=Hates PC.
Activision/blizzard=Stopped caring about those pc games.
MS/Xbox=few pc exclusives.
Valve/Steam= Dead
Epic=Console hybrid pc.

We lost alot of good soldiers. It was fun time, when they used to do pc exclusives.

bender

What time is it?
God of war and halo infinite on PC is NICE.

PC is definitely getting in to golden age, since those console owners are running to pc, with their exclusives.

And best part, PC is getting all timed exclusives from the 3 console systems. Stalker 2, ff16, monster hunter rise.

PC is the best place to play games. Anyone calling this the :Golden Age of PC Gaming" makes it sound like this is their first experience with a gaming rig.

Elginer

EA=dead
Ubisoft=Dead
Rockstar=Hates PC.
Activision/blizzard=Stopped caring about those pc games.
MS/Xbox=few pc exclusives.
Valve/Steam= Dead
Epic=Console hybrid pc.

We lost alot of good soldiers. It was fun time, when they used to do pc exclusives.
Breaks my damn heart. I remember playing the Ultima series, Mechwarrior and Lucasarts x wing vs tie fighter.

kingfey

Banned
PC is the best place to play games. Anyone calling this the :Golden Age of PC Gaming" makes it sound like this is their first experience with a gaming rig.
That is just children idea of golden age.
in 2000s, we had tons of pc games, which were quite alot of fun, than what we have now.

I remember playing medal of honor, and enjoying it. Gta san Andreas and vice city were yummy.

Now days, its your typical boring BR shooters, with copy cat mmos.

the big boys stopped making games for pc exclusive, in favor of consoles. And valve is stuck learning what comes after 3.

My PC is slow to do basic things compared to the new consoles.
Why is the epic game store so slow to load your game list library?
My PC has SSD but the epic store library seems to be loading every thumbnail from the internet. Why is that not on my SSD?
Why can’t I just list the games I have in text form?
PC gaming kind of sucks right now.

bender

What time is it?
the big boys stopped making games for pc exclusive, in favor of consoles. And valve is stuck learning what comes after 3.

For as great as it is for games to be multi-platform and everyone experience them, I do miss the days of exclusives that took advantage of their targeted platform. The writing was on the while when Cerny took the reins from Kutaragi and the PlayStation architecture became very PC centric. It was the right move of course, making development much easier and with game development costs rising, it's hard to argue against. It's just led us down us down a very predictable path. PC still gets the most exclusives by its' very nature but most of those genres don't interest me all that much. I do miss the the Golden Era of PC gaming though.

ParaSeoul

Sure Jan GIF

Golden age of pc gaming was the 90s/early 2000s

DavidGzz

Mods. I could play Elden Ring on XBSX with VRR but the best version is on PC because of mods. I'm playing on a PC that is half as powerful as my consoles because of them. Diablo 2 resurrected with triple the items, more stash space, better synergies, etc. Console will never have that. Rip

It's better now than it ever was. Night and day better. And still getting better.

To say otherwise is senile old fart think.

killatopak

Gold Member
I dunno. Feels to me that PC is still subject to the whims of the consoles. Pretty sure mobile is bigger. Like there are a lot games made in mind for mobile and the console port as an afterthought. While there are some PC to console port games nowadays. It seems so few a far between with very little fanfare.

bender

What time is it?
You sure miss those point and clicks, doom on a 486 and 5 million different gpu makers each with their own api, and no native controller support huh gramps

I was PC gaming long before 486. Now go ask mommy if you can stay up late to carry on this conversation.

Otre

Banned
Thank you for the time capsule back to the gamefaqs forums with this op. Im glad people are enjoying my prefered way of playing videogames, the PC. I am also glad that other people enjoy their consoles with its easier setup method. In conclusion, who gives a shit, lets waste our life with the electronic entertaintment we desire.

GreatnessRD

Thank you for the time capsule back to the gamefaqs forums with this op. Im glad people are enjoying my prefered way of playing videogames, the PC. I am also glad that other people enjoy their consoles with its easier setup method. In conclusion, who gives a shit, lets waste our life with the electronic entertaintment we desire.
You deserve a medal, friend.

Fredrik

To be honest, i'm sick to death of making posts talking about the endless advantages PC gaming has over console (and you have listed a few), so i'm not going to lol.
I'm just going to say its nice to see someone else wake up and see the light.

depositphotos_243574054-stock-photo-businessman-seeing-the-light-at.jpg
Some years ago I only played on console and nearly all my coworkers who were playing games were PC gamers, always bragging about how much more powerful their PCs were compared to consoles and laughed at my console games running at 30fps etc. Hated it. I was constantly annoyed. Got banned here too for lashing out at PC gamers.

In 2014 I gave up and bought a i7+780ti PC with gsync screen. I had better PC than my coworkers who were so full of themselves earlier, that was a nice start, but what made it all truly great was that it turned out PC gaming was awesome. I could run literally everything at 100+ fps, gsync made any microstutter disappear, I bought extra screens and a steering wheel and started playing racing games, everything was awesome.

I still haven’t come down from that first high. Everything is still awesome.

Recently bought a Steam Deck too. Adding more awesomeness to the equation.

But the cost has been insane. I used to bounce on the top tier Ti cards but lately I’ve accepted to step down a notch. Current rig is a 3800x+3070Ti, not powerful enough for 100+ fps but gsync is still making things smooth. My way of dealing with the still way too expensive upgrades is to invest in stocks. I started out investing a GPU upgrade of money on Nvidia. After a year I had that money x2. Etc. Today the stock market is kinda broken but hopefully things will return to normal again in a year or two.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
PC golden age was like 20 years ago. What's it with people thinking PC gaming is a new thing? I can't stand new PC players that seem completely dazzled by the most basic things.

My modest PC was playing games at HD when folks that had a PS2 were playing their games on 480i back in the day. For the last few year until now PC had the worst value it ever had, with really overpriced hardware and with the focus changing more and more into the direction of high end products that are reaching never seen before price points.

Right now PC and console are as close as they ever were and share more games than ever. There is practically no AAA development that is focused just on PC anymore.

PC gaming "culture" is at it's lowest point ever, with the whole master race attitude.

Yup. Especially looking at OP's post, why he thinks this is a golden age. Because of use of simplicity ? Or ports of console games ? He thinks consoles had the best games before ? There was never a second where i ever, in my entire life, thought consoles had the better games. Near every single gaming genre we play today was invented on PC and near every game today is a descendant of a pc game. I remember, at the beggining of 2004, in a local magazine, reading the review for Beyond Good and Evil. It was 3 pages long, because reviews in magazines then werent half a page at the back of the magazine like they are today in Edge or Game Informer. And the first page of the review was the guy just trying to tell us hey guys (it was a pc only magazine), i know you all think console games are childish and simplistic and hate the mere sound of a console game, but really, give this a try, its quite good. Thats how console games were seen.

The golden age was the period where the foundation for everything today was layed out by PC gaming, not now. Its not a golden age because there are a lot of multiplatform games, it was a goldenage when there were a ton of PC taylored games that were the very best in the world

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Each platform has their pros and cons and types of games they skew to.

And the games are what can totally skew someone to one platform. If someone is a Nintendo franchise gamer, you go Switch. If you are an RTS or MOBA gamer, you go PC. If you want to play NFL, NHL or MLB, you go console. And if you are an NBA or FIFA fan you probably go console too.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
PC, consoles, handheld, makes no difference, there all lumps of old shit, just the addictions keep me coming back for more.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Nah, It maybe had its first Golden Age in the late '90s to early '00s, but from there it was far from being what it is today
when were PCs supassed by consoles? the PS4? is this a joke?

ppl seem to struggle to understand consoles will always be a gimped version of a PC, by definition. fuck these threads are stupid

.Pennywise

Banned
when were PCs supassed by consoles? the PS4? is this a joke?

ppl seem to struggle to understand consoles will always be a gimped version of a PC, by definition. fuck these threads are stupid
It's in the OP buddy. Consoles were much more user friendly back in the day, way easier to get into if you weren't on PC already. Also in the 7th gen a duck ton of games didn't make it to PC, with a plethora of big exclusives and wonderful third party games alike, way before when PC ports started to appear (and they were the worst most lazy ports ever).

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
We apparently need a weekly reminder about this, so thanks for filling the quota, OP.

Anyway, I like how nobody bats an eye when the discourse must inevitably touch upon Nintendo games and it is candidly admitted that emulation is needed for those. Everybody acts like PC gets 95% of all games, yet this pretty big elephant in the room is handwaved like PC gamers are simply entitled to pirate Switch games ‘cuz, come on, we got the golden standard hardware, bro!

I’m not saying I never emulated a game I don’t own. It’s just that the way this is phrased is a little too convenient. “PC gets practically all the games anyway and - oh, Nintendo games you say? Why, you emulate them, of course! Got a problem there, mate?“

.Pennywise

Banned
We apparently need a weekly reminder about this, so thanks for filling the quota, OP.

Anyway, I like how nobody bats an eye when the discourse must inevitably touch upon Nintendo games and it is candidly admitted that emulation is needed for those. Everybody acts like PC gets 95% of all games, yet this pretty big elephant in the room is handwaved like PC gamers are simply entitled to pirate Switch games ‘cuz, come on, we got the golden standard hardware, bro!

I’m not saying I never emulated a game I don’t own. It’s just that the way this is phrased is a little too convenient. “PC gets practically all the games anyway and - oh, Nintendo games you say? Why, you emulate them, of course! Got a problem there, mate?“
Emulation =/= piracy

EDIT: also sorry for being able to play your Switch games with better graphics and fps than a Switch 😂

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
although there have been ups and downs, it always been the king of the hill.
the meme about the master race is here for a reason
(offnote the meme it is dated 2008 but I am of a certain age and I remember the meme been around for decades before 2008 does anyone else remember this or is Alzheimer's starting to strike?)

winjer

Gold Member
I have been playing on the PC for over 20 years now, but I would say this is one of the worst times to be a PC gamer. If not the absolute worst.
GPU prices are super inflated because of mining and scalpers. And of course, NVidia and AMD are now pricing their cards as even higher.
These days, almost every single publisher has to create their own launcher. Whenever we buy a new game, there is a good chance that we'll have to install a new launcher and create a new account.
And the best part is when we buy a game on a store, and then have to use two launchers and two accounts for that game.
I love FPS, but these days is increasingly difficult to find good ones, unless you like BattleRoyales and GAAS.
Then there's Windows, with more and more bloatware and spyware with every new update.

bitbydeath

Nah, they’re still just riding the coattails of consoles. The important stuff, the exclusives, are more or less non-existent in the AAA space.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its always great to see console players getting enlightened about what true gaming is about, after touching PC gaming.

Welcome to the master race

kingfey

Banned
It's better now than it ever was. Night and day better. And still getting better.

To say otherwise is senile old fart think.
That js false.
Pc now is bloated. It doesn't hold a candle, during that age.

Pc had studios, which made Pc exclusive games.

The witcher, elderscrolls, fallout were all Pc games, before they transitioned to consoles.

Traditional shooter games are dead, in favor or BR games.

The standard dropped so low now.

bitbydeath

That js false.

The witcher, elderscrolls, fallout were all Pc games, before they transitioned to consoles.

Not to mention launchers. Barf!

JackSparr0w

Banned
That js false.

PC still gets these exclusives plus everything else. It's the reason why it's in a golden era.

It's the platform where you can find everything from the most hardcore mil-sims to the most casual.

Haggard

Banned
PC always was the gold standard. Best hardware, best multitasking capabilities, best and most input options etc etc etc etc.
But with Sony now porting their first party games over it`s just getting better and better making even the complementary Sony console obsolete for me.
There never was a better time to be a pc gamer, we pretty much get the best from all worlds (minus Nintendo maybe)

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
PC still gets these exclusives plus everything else. It's the reason why it's in a golden era.

It's the platform where you can find everything from the most hardcore mil-sims to the most casual.
That is not what makes it golden age.
Pc used to have amazing games, and developers who made exclusive games for pc.

Now we dont get those. Most games are mediocre, with masses in mind.

CSgo being popular, should tell you the state of the current pc now.

To be honest, both PC and Consoles are in a shitty phase. I'm playing everyday more and more old games because aside of Elden Ring I can't think of a good 2022 game. Its like devs loved to make games and today they work at gunpoint IMO.

JackSparr0w

Banned
That is not what makes it golden age.
Pc used to have amazing games, and developers who made exclusive games for pc.

Now we dont get those. Most games are mediocre, with masses in mind.

CSgo being popular, should tell you the state of the current pc now.
Whats wrong with Counter Strike? It's not my cup of tea but I don't see anything wrong with it. It's one of the options for the masses that want something quick to jump in.

I'm more of a Hell let loose, Squad, DCS World, IL- 2 Sturmovik kind of guy and I couldn't be happier.

I Master l

Banned
One of the reasons that I like consoles is the fact that you almost will never see
any cheaters online and thats why I will never be pc gamer

kingfey

Banned
Whats wrong with Counter Strike? It's not my cup of tea but I don't see anything wrong with it. It's one of the options for the masses that want something quick to jump in.

I'm more of a Hell let loose, Squad, DCS World, IL- 2 Sturmovik kind of guy and I couldn't be happier.
Its 2012 game, which dominates shooter games.
It just shows, current shooter games, can't over take that game.

PC golden age was like 20 years ago. What's it with people thinking PC gaming is a new thing? I can't stand new PC players that seem completely dazzled by the most basic things.

My modest PC was playing games at HD when folks that had a PS2 were playing their games on 480i back in the day. For the last few year until now PC had the worst value it ever had, with really overpriced hardware and with the focus changing more and more into the direction of high end products that are reaching never seen before price points.

Right now PC and console are as close as they ever were and share more games than ever. There is practically no AAA development that is focused just on PC anymore.

PC gaming "culture" is at it's lowest point ever, with the whole master race attitude.
Lol 20 years ago was when the PC gaming is dying narrative started.

Top Bottom