• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc gaming has never been as good as it is today.

As a PC Gamer from about Quake1 shareware onwards, software wise, it's in a much better place than it was. Updating games was some terrible journey through FilePlanet and the like. I don't want to go back to messing with IRQ settings either. Even fiddling with .ini files I think "why isn't there a Steam Workshop for things like that?*" However, like many others in this thread have said, GPU prices are one of the single biggest blights on the landscape right now. I'm mulling getting one of those Intel ARC cards, simply because it's possible to buy, new, at "not silly" prices.

Also, if someone does invent the time machine, after they've finished checking out dinosaurs and if Jesus existed etc, can they please go back and tell Valve to ban 3rd party launchers. They're any annoyance with little to no value on a desktop. They stop games being played on my Deck.

* I know there NexusMods, but I want services that work with the Deck

Last edited:

TrebleShot

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
- Littered with cheats
- Most games launch broken
- Stuttery mess even on top end hardware
- Best games are old console exclusives
- Most games need some sort of fix or workaround for controllers or display modes
- Hideously Expensive hardware for relative perf gain
- At least three launchers on the go and probably more
- Overly reliant on upscaling
- Overly reliant on frame Gen
- Overly reliant on RT as a gotcha
- Usually sitting at a desk
Joke post?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You don’t believe your counterpoints yourself or are wilfully ignorant.
show me where the cheaters are dude i want to see them.

i've been doing this PC gaming shit for a year now and i haven't found a single cheater in any of the lobbies i've entered.
stutters are mainly caused by API or low VRAM. you can switch to DX11 or use DXVK and it will run better
controllers work 100% of the time, have not encountered a SINGLE time where a controller didn't work

Bragr

Banned
🤷‍♂️

2018:
-RimWorld
-Subnautica
-DUSK
-Return of the Obra Dinn
-Kenshi
-Crosscode
-Frostpunk
-Distance
-Overload
-Into the Breach
-Thronebreaker
-Warhammer: Vermintide 2
-Wreckfest
-Insurgency: Sandstorm

All high quality, some even genre defining.

"but but those count because because...!"
But but that is what I was saying. A lot of smaller indie titles, you can find PC games like that any year. I like and have played almost all those games, but all you are doing is proving my point that PC-first developed games are nowhere near anything like Half-Life or StarCraft or the PC landscape back then.

nkarafo

Sure there are shador compilation stutters and badly optimized games come out lately. But at least it's patched quickly these days.

Nope. I'm still waiting for games like Stray and Scorn to fix the shader cache problem. They never did and they probably never will. It's clear these games are abandoned by the devs so they will forever be stutterfests in the future.

Kokoloko85

You could say the same about pretty much any game nowadays. Its all about who has the bigger bulge in the pants, even if there's nothing inside.

Ask about influential games from 2018 and people will answer with bullshit like God of War and RDR2, games that really do nothing aside from looking pretty, nothing like the Half Life's, Thief's, Fallout's or Baldurs Gate's.

Both God or War and RDR2 were great. God of War had great combat along with a good story, visuals etc. Not many games can do that and keep the quality. RDR2 was very immersive for its type of open world, decent combat, good story. Both have the industries best voice acting. I enjoyed them both Alot.

Kokoloko85

cuz you haven't played them. ;)

Im sure you havent played all the games either.…....Or are you gonna pretend you’ve played every Console and PC exclusive?
Be realistic, you cant compare Half Life and Baldurs gate to Wreckfest and Crosscode when it comes to sell factor, hype etc and probably gameplay.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

But but that is what I was saying. A lot of smaller indie titles, you can find PC games like that any year. I like and have played almost all those games, but all you are doing is proving my point that PC-first developed games are nowhere near anything like Half-Life or StarCraft or the PC landscape back then.
"Smaller" is a very relative word here. And from the way you speak it doesn't seem you understand just how advanced some of these titles are.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A lot of smaller indie titles, you can find PC games like that any year.
the games back then had the same production values that most indies have today. there's nothing about them that indicates AAA. closest thing is crysis and that gets by on its jawbreaking visuals.
Subnautica for instance looks far more 'AAA' than something like half life or Baldur's Gate. Ultrakill and Risk of Rain 2 have a far more distinct and striking visual style (& general graphics) than either of them

You're calling older games you're fond of AAA despite the fact that just like many indies and AA today, they're not very comparable to the actual AAA titles like RDR2, God of War, GTA, etc. And those types of games will never be PC exclusive because that'd be a money pit

Be realistic, you cant compare Half Life and Baldurs gate to Wreckfest and Crosscode when it comes to sell factor, hype etc and probably gameplay.
yeah because half life and Baldur's Gate are 20 fucking years old. everyone and their grandma have played them at this point.
and if you want to argue gameplay don't just give me a 'probably' motherfucking play them!!! Crosscode is one of the best JRPGs out there, you have my word on it

Last edited:

Beechos

There are spiritual successors to most of those RPGs (like Pillars of Eternity, the Pathfinder games and some I named before, actual ones like Diablo which never had frequent sequels and alternatives like Path of Exile too), revived IP like Wasteland (since Fallout went a different direction with Bethesda I suppose this works out) and all new good ones like Disco Elysium. Since you differentiate to a specific type of FPS, well, there are too many old school FPS to name like Dusk and Ultrakill (not so much for multiplayer I guess and mostly indie but you still get the odd Doom etc.), look up the various "boomer shooter" threads. Rts I agree is not that big at the moment but eh, there are still some notable releases or great and expanded remasters of classics like AOE II. The adventure genre is alive and well with Cyan, Forgwares, AGS made games etc. but you'd have to follow some blog/site dedicated to the genre for most that don't have notable names like Monkey Island. Again, thanks to indies, b games and crowd funding most genres that were missing for a time have returned in abundance. We almost got a space game revival too and there have been some great immersive sims and those Commando-like tactical games too. It's been great. I guess we do miss something Thief-esque after Dishonored but there's always Hitman and going stealthy on said immersive sims.
Thats prob has something to do with it for someone like me not noticing current good pc games.

Indies, b games, crowdfunding. Alot of these modern takes of some of these classic games dont have any "wow" factor for someone like me to draw me in to try the game. Back then when these games were released you were "wowed" and they looked like modern progressions of the previous title.

My current perception of pc is that its a survival game paradise which is a genre i cant stand. My gaming pc with a 3070 is relegated to rts and vr. Everything else i play on ps5 or xsx. I dont even touch my steamdeck or switch anymore.

Guilty_AI

Both God or War and RDR2 were great. God of War had great combat along with a good story, visuals etc. Not many games can do that and keep the quality. RDR2 was very immersive for its type of open world, decent combat, good story. Both have the industries best voice acting. I enjoyed them both Alot.
I rest my case

BossLackey

Gold Member
What's the % vs legit players? How many did you encounter on last games you played?
Rainbow Six Siege, haven't played in a few months, but has been happening so often that my friend group took a break. Incredibly suspicious behavior that was then confirmed by replays in which people were very obviously using wallhacks. Probably a fifth of our games over a 2 month period of heavy play. Sometimes more often.

Escape from Tarkov, always been hard to tell if someone is cheating because it's just lights out with no deathcams or replays if you get killed. But a YouTuber made a video recently that straight up proves that cheaters are all OVER that game. Sucks because I was thinking of getting back into it after a hiatus. I'm at work so I'm not gonna link the video, but I'll try to remember later.

CoD Warzone had obvious cheaters which was confirmed by Activision. Been a while since I've played it though.

PUBG, which I've played recently....don't even get me started. First game back after a few years (so a few months ago), people were dropping grenades directly on top of me when they simply couldn't know where I was. Move location. Grenade literally hitting me (thrown over a wall). Happened over and over. Next few games were fine, then back to getting (what I can only assume) wallhacked.

These are just the games I've played recently (save for CoD) and I don't even play a lot of shooters anymore.

Kokoloko85

the games back then had the same production values that most indies have today. there's nothing about them that indicates AAA. closest thing is crysis and that gets by on its jawbreaking visuals.
Subnautica for instance looks far more 'AAA' than something like half life or Baldur's Gate. Ultrakill and Risk of Rain 2 have a far more distinct and striking visual style than either of them

yeah because half life and Baldur's Gate are 20 fucking years old. everyone and their grandma have played them at this point.
and if you want to argue gameplay don't just give me a 'probably' motherfucking play them!!! Crosscode is one of the best JRPGs out there, you have my word on it

Not sure what age has got to do with it. At the time people where hyped for those games and every knew about them, year 1, not 20 years later.
Ill play it, but thats my point. Never heard of half of these. PC had bigger games back then, even if they were new IP’s.
Plus Crosscode isn’t a PC exclusive

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thats prob has something to do with it for someone like me not noticing current good pc games.

Indies, b games, crowdfunding. Alot of these modern takes of some of these classic games dont have any "wow" factor for someone like me to draw me in to try the game. Back then when these games were released you were "wowed" and they looked like modern progressions of the previous title.

My current perception of pc is that its a survival game paradise which is a genre i cant stand. My gaming pc with a 3070 is relegated to rts and vr. Everything else i play on ps5 or xsx. I dont even touch my steamdeck or switch anymore.
Indie games and B games nowadays have higher production values than the classics did back in the day. If they're great games (they are) who cares if they aren't the hot thing? Do you want great games like those you say you miss or do you want trendy games (so going by the standards of the classics I guess console games, EA sports games etc., replaced by Fortnite and COD and such nowadays)? Half-Life was damn fugly at launch, Baldur's Gate and its ilk came in the era everyone raved over finally great looking 3D, not top down views and tiny ugly sprites Infinity Engine games and others in the genre (and other genre classics) kept relying on for years to come when we were in all 3D Dreamcast, PS2 and beyond level. But it's not like I'm telling you to only go play some no name thing from an unknown indie, all the good ones get plenty hype among genre fans and in the media, if you missed it you must have been living under a rock and not paying any attention to these genres. Plenty of them were a big deal for fans, the media, award shows and so on, crowd funded or not what does that matter if the end result is successful at what it wants to achieve?

Last edited:

Hugare

DF didn't remake the videos past stutter patches.

DX12 didn't do anything like this, it's here single Windows 10 launch and back there not a single game had stutters like today. And far from being every game. What hyperbolic shit.
Hyperbolic shit my ass. You're the one who has no idea what you're talking about.

Paraphrasing:

"DX12 turns a bunch of things that were IHV driver author responsibilities into application developer responsibilities. Application developers now get to make the same mistakes that driver authors have been making for years, with less experience, less centralization, and with fewer ways for IHVs to compensate for their mistakes via driver hacks."

Basicaly, in the past developers left many optimizations to be fixed by AMD/Nvidia drivers (as stated by an ex Nvidia driver developer himself). Now with DX 12 they cant do that anymore, and its now their responsability.

They always had that help, so they dont know how to take responsability now, and chaos ensued.
There’s thousands more exclusives on PC than consoles, not to mention those PC centric titles still play best on PC.

That’s not even getting into the old games PC plays that are no longer accessible on current consoles. The ones people beg for remasters, while PC needs no such thing.
Games play better on PC? You dont say

Where did I say otherwise?

Yeah, about those thousand exclusives, would like some receipts (I was talking recently, obviously)

Kokoloko85

I rest my case

Sure…
I can just change the words to great and you have no case...
God of War had the best Combat from a western studio in years. A great story and how it presented its narrative was unique. Epic boss fights. The visuals and facial animations were the top of the industry as was the voice acting. Tell me some games that beat it in those categories lol?

You might not think it was special but millions of people did

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not sure what age has got to do with it. At the time people where hyped for those games and every knew about them, year 1, not 20 years later.
they came out @ a time where there were less games, were incredibly advertised, and have had years to develop a reputation. Gaming was a lot more tight knit back then than now so you'd hear about a new game coming out pretty easily. These days the industry is really oversaturated and more popular than ever, so smaller stuff will fall under the radar
Indies are just as good as many AAAs, but you never hear about them because AAAs have the money to consistently blast their existence in your face

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Rainbow Six Siege, haven't played in a few months, but has been happening so often that my friend group took a break. Incredibly suspicious behavior that was then confirmed by replays in which people were very obviously using wallhacks. Probably a fifth of our games over a 2 month period of heavy play. Sometimes more often.

Escape from Tarkov, always been hard to tell if someone is cheating because it's just lights out with no deathcams or replays if you get killed. But a YouTuber made a video recently that straight up proves that cheaters are all OVER that game. Sucks because I was thinking of getting back into it after a hiatus. I'm at work so I'm not gonna link the video, but I'll try to remember later.

CoD Warzone had obvious cheaters which was confirmed by Activision. Been a while since I've played it though.

PUBG, which I've played recently....don't even get me started. First game back after a few years (so a few months ago), people were dropping grenades directly on top of me when they simply couldn't know where I was. Move location. Grenade literally hitting me (thrown over a wall). Happened over and over. Next few games were fine, then back to getting (what I can only assume) wallhacked.

These are just the games I've played recently (save for CoD) and I don't even play a lot of shooters anymore.
Except for Tarkov that I don't play as I find it boring as hell and shitty F2P CoD Warzone, I still play R6Siege, CoD MW, PUBG, BF4, Apex and not a single obvious cheater in site in a long time.

Crayon

Sure…
I can just change the words to great and you have no case...
God of War had the best Combat from a western studio in years. A great story and how it presented its narrative was unique. Epic boss fights. The visuals and facial animations were the top of the industry as was the voice acting. Tell me some games that beat it in those categories lol?

It's true. I was surprised how good the fighting was. By Western standards, like you said. If you take assassin's Creed as the baseline, it's hilariously bad.

Guilty_AI

Sure…
I can just change the words to great and you have no case. God of War had the best Combat from a western studio in years. A great story and how it presented its narrative was unique. Epic boss fights.
I rest my case once again
Tell me some games that beat it in those categories lol?
Combat, story and epic boss fights? Crosscode. Not even a fair contest.

Sure, millions of people also think Dota 2 is the best game ever made.

Guilty_AI

What case? That its an amazing game that sold millions with great reveiws. Stay salty
Crosscode aint PC exclusive buddy…
Much like half of those games from the "golden era" of pc gaming. It was when it came out, got console port later.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

millions of people also think that Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber are great arists? you think they're right or..?

What are trying to prove? You game is better than mine?
Im just saying the PC exclusives arent as big as they were bag in those days.
You guys get way to defensive

Crayon

One thing that hasn't changed over the years is that I still consider PC the home of more complex games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Plus Crosscode isn’t a PC exclusive
like many of the PC "exclusives" released in 1998. shit really hasn't changed that much, it's just that you guys have rose tinted glasses and we don't. It all really comes down to perception & legacy, Quake is playable on a 3ds or an iphone but it doesn't change the fact the majority of its legacy is known on PC... just like Subnautica or Crosscode

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
God of War had the best Combat from a western studio in years.
So good that has aim assist as option because the retarded camera and spider sense because the pathetic FoV. Plus 100+ms of input lag on consoles.

Last edited:

Crayon

I'm comparing it with older GOWs. Lower enemy variety, more boring and duller boss fights, terrible camera work, RPG mechanics that don't belong, etc.

I thought it was way better than those. I always found those kind of basic, even though the execution was super good. The new one is still simple but it feels more unique

Guilty_AI

Sure in your opinion.

Sure and to them it is. Good for them. Why does it bother you?
It doesn't, but if it all comes down to opinion then none of these discussions matter. Great games came out for pc then, great games come out for pc now, thus op's point is proven, the end. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Hugare

As it should be as it's their game, not Nvidia's or AMD's.
I agree

But imagine having 10+ years of experience on using some tool and then Microsoft suddenly changes the rules of the game

It takes some time for developers to adapt. Its no easy task.

Not only that, but it completely fucks with small developers.

All oft his for some marginal performance gain (not noticed most of the time) + DLSS/RT

Fuck DX 12, honestly

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

like many of the "PC" exclusives released in 1998. shit really hasn't changed that much, it's just that you guys have rose tinted glasses and we don't

Its more those days consoles couldnt play them anymore as good as the PC’s, the ports were terrible.
I had Max Payne, Half Life 1–2, Vampire Masqu, Marrowind etc. Awful on consoles and some didnt make it to consoles

Now days console can play games at 30 smoothly and 60fps alot of the time.
Not comparable

Kokoloko85

It doesn't, but if it all comes down to opinion then none of these discussions matter. Great games came out then, great games come out now, thus op's point is proven, the end. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, so now lets take the subjective opinion of gameplay out and just count huge platform selling games and hype.

PC games were bigger those days, simple as.
The end

Spyxos

You can still remember GTA4 and The Witcher? Slow down old man!

200w.gif
Not my best example. I know. I should have used something older.

Top Bottom