• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gamers with multiple monitors - do you also switch monitors per game?

teezzy

Banned
I've got three monitors

Two 27" 1440p 144hz GSync boys, and a Dell CRT for retro stuff/emulation

It's funny though because I've noticed I play some games on the left modern monitor and others on the right

No real rhyme or reason, even though I'm sorta positioned more comfortably towards the left monitor, so it makes more sense, yet some games are delegated to the right monitor

Shit's weird

Thoughts?

SZips

No.

I have one 1440p 144Hz G-sync capable monitor that I use for gaming, and a second monitor at 1080p and 144Hz that used to be my primary gaming monitor. The second monitor is now just used for streams, Discord, chats, email, etc.. Though at the rate this GPU shortage is going, maybe I should use the 1080p monitor for gaming since I'm not getting very satisfactory framerates at 1440p on my current card.

Last edited:

elliot5

no. i have two and one is my gaming monitor and one is a 4K just to work on or whatever. my gaming one is slightly off center to the left and the other is to the right of it.

SZips

no. i have two and one is my gaming monitor and one is a 4K just to work on or whatever. my gaming one is slightly off center to the left and the other is to the right of it.
That's exactly how I have mine set up since my desk is way too small.

I dabbled when I had the triple monitor setup (ran a few games in UW sync as well). But I almost always reverted back to the center monitor for gaming and the other two for misc. content.

Nowadays everything is played on my UW monitor and I have a second vertical monitor. Three displays were overkill, I decided.

teezzy

Banned
Three displays were overkill, I decided.

Yeah I'd only have two if I didn't have a fascination with playing old games/TV shows on a CRT

But you're right - one for games and one for Discord or whatever seems to be the sweet spot. I usually just leave the CRT off unless I'm using it

Fredrik

Used to have three screens, always played single-screen games on the middle screen and racing games on all three. Don’t you get an aching neck if you look to either side for longer periods of time?

Last edited:

tusharngf

I play on my 27 inch monitor and 4k TV as second monitor is for monitoring zabbix servers/work ( mostly work related)

GymWolf

I have a 2k dell monitor and my trusty oled 55 panasonic (lg c1 in 3 days).

No need to tell you where i play all of my stuff.

Monitor is used for some web browsing at most.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yes and No.

If you play for example world of warcraft + another smaller game i have them on the sides. Or when i emulate i could have the game like pokemon red on the left screen and my main game in the middle. As honestly screens don't matter for such solution whenever i wait for something in my main game i play through the pokemon game. ( a lot of times i play 2 games at the same time, to avoid wait times in games such as dungeon queue's )

However for actual serious games or modern games with emulating i will always use my middle game monitor. Because my 2 side monitors are 27 inch 1440p IPS but 60hz only and 6ms or something. They are just there for movies / reading text and typing stuff and doing some work on it while i game on the middle one. Basically cheap screens.

So basically

27 - 34 - 27 that's my setup. 34 is a ultra wide. ( basically same size as 27 inch so fits well together )

However its not unheard of that is spend more of my time on the right 27 inch screen then my middle one because of work. so my middle screen could stand half days just on the desktop not doing anything same for the left screen.this is also why i avoided oled.

Last edited:

TastyPastry

my plan is to be getting two monitors for my next rig upgrade. basically one ultra wide and one 16:9 so that i can play most games on the ultra wide one and older games that don't support it on the 16:9 monitor. does anyone here have a similiar setup? does it come with any problems? i think you can't simply just choose a different resolution for each monitor right?

You are weird.

crazy evil dead GIF

No.

I have one 1440p 144Hz G-sync capable monitor that I use for gaming, and a second monitor at 1080p and 144Hz that used to be my primary gaming monitor. The second monitor is now just used for streams, Discord, chats, email, etc.. Though at the rate this GPU shortage is going, maybe I should use the 1080p monitor for gaming since I'm not getting very satisfactory framerates at 1440p on my current card.
I'm sort of in the same situation just without the second monitor. I have a 1440p 144hz monitor but my GPU can't handle it very well so I was actually thinking about buying a 1080p monitor to use for gaming while I use the 1440p for browsing and other computer stuff. My RX580 8GB just can't handle it very well.

Technically I have a RTX 3060 that I got from Best Buy (single fan XLR8 model) but it was $600 and it pains me to pay $600 for a 3060 even thought it's a good upgrade especially tech wise so idk if I will keep it.

Kenpachii

I'm sort of in the same situation just without the second monitor. I have a 1440p 144hz monitor but my GPU can't handle it very well so I was actually thinking about buying a 1080p monitor to use for gaming while I use the 1440p for browsing and other computer stuff. My RX580 8GB just can't handle it very well.

Technically I have a RTX 3060 that I got from Best Buy (single fan XLR8 model) but it was $600 and it pains me to pay $600 for a 3060 even thought it's a good upgrade especially tech wise so idk if I will keep it.

Just run games at 1080p then, or use the 3060 which is a lot more faster then a 580 specially with dlss.

Top Bottom