• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: Emulator developers see ton of potential in Steam Deck

Denton

"Everyone I know has relatively high hopes for the Steam Deck right now," says JMC4789, a contributor to GameCube/Wii emulator Dolphin. JMC4789 is optimistic about how well Dolphin could run on the Steam Deck—and so are the developers of Yuzu, the leading Nintendo Switch emulator.

"We believe that the hardware should likely be capable enough to run some games pretty well right out of the box, and potentially run Yuzu very well with optimizations to the emulator," the developers say in a joint statement to PC Gamer."

Personally I plan to mostly use it for native PC games, but I might dabble in some PS2 and GC games...But it is good news that emulator devs are already excited about this handheld.

Last edited:

martino

now release a switch cartridge to usb adapter to dump the game or even better play games directly from them
if that happen i will sell my switch (which probably will be a oled one at this point :D)

kingfey

Banned
This is sweet dream come true. Having a pc portable is something we dreamed as a kids. People will buy it.

and as for handle held, there is a market for them. 85m people bought it. So expect this device to blow up in popularity.

poodaddy

Gold Member
This is sweet dream come true. Having a pc portable is something we dreamed as a kids. People will buy it.

and as for handle held, there is a market for them. 85m people bought it. So expect this device to blow up in popularity.
Yeah I feel the same way. Didn't know about that 85 mill though, is that true? If so that's amazing for preorder numbers, is that verifiable?

Edit:. NVM, just realized you were talking about Switch numbers lmao. That was my moment for the day. Need coffee.

Last edited:

martino

Emulation is evil.

Steam Deck was clearly made by Satan.
68747470733a2f2f692e6b796d2d63646e2e636f6d2f70686f746f732f696d616765732f6f726967696e616c2f3030312f3032312f3730362f3161342e676966

One more interesting video, about VRR not actually being all that great on handheld

Ackchyually.gif that's a terrible take. It's almost like this dude is implying that you can't limit framerate with VRR display. You still can and want to cap your frame rate even with VRR display for that super smooth, no tearing , Vsync lag free gaming.

You absolutely do not ever want your gpu reaching above 90% usage as that adds a ton of lag even with vrr.

Findings by Battle(non)sense in the vid below:

Yeah, I really wish my newer revision Switch Lite could be easily jailbroken, so I could use it for emulators without paying Switch Online.

Kenpachii

One more interesting video, about VRR not actually being all that great on handheld

Nothing he says has any merrit really.

I am not sure if VRR screens exist but if they do, he should have gotten it.

All his other arguments make no sense, he's reaching big time everywhere.

VRR = standard for anybody these days, not having a screen that struggles to maintain 60 fps = a massive loss.

Ackchyually.gif that's a terrible take. It's almost like this dude is implying that you can't limit framerate with VRR display. You still can and want to cap your frame rate even with VRR display for that super smooth, no tearing , Vsync lag free gaming.

You absolutely do not ever want your gpu reaching above 90% usage as that adds a ton of lag even with vrr.

Findings by Battle(non)sense in the vid below:

Nothing this guy says has anything to do with vrr.

Last edited:
Nothing this guy says has anything to do with vrr.
All screens, including VRR supported ones, gets hit by a big additional lag when you reach gpu ceiling.

I posted that particular vid , because the guy from previously linked vid was implying, or someone can easily interpreted that way, that you don't need or want or even can cap framerate on VRR display. That is simply false. You should always cap fps on any and every display to avoid additional in game lag caused by maxed gpu.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Steam Deck is the new Switch, Switch 2. It's better imo.
Huge library + emulation + docks.
It will be the version of Switch virtually nobody knows about outside a very core circle of Steam users, but will have dozens upon dozens of extremely enthusiastic consumers.

tumblr_npkt9e15lN1u2ragso6_500.gifv

Last edited:

Denton

It will be the version of Switch virtually nobody knows about outside a very core circle of Steam users, but will have dozens upon dozens of extremely enthusiastic consumers.
It had over 100K reservations in the first 90 minutes on the two more expensive SKUs alone.
Of course truly mass appeal (many millions) will depend on Valve's ability to manufacture them at that scale, market them in mainstream, and sell them in third party stores - which Gabe said they are likely going to do later.
But already it seems there are lot of people for whom it will be a very useful piece of hardware. Personally I would never consider Switch because I hated its ergonomics, having to rebuy games for Nintendo's excessive prices and its low power, but Deck solves all that (and more) so I am day one.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

It had over 100K reservations in the first 90 minutes on the two more expensive SKUs alone.
Of course truly mass appeal (many millions) will depend on Valve's ability to manufacture them at that scale, market them in mainstream, and sell them in third party stores - which Gabe said they are likely going to do later.
But already it seems there are lot of people for whom it will be a very useful piece of hardware. Personally I would never consider Switch because I hated its ergonomics, having to rebuy games for Nintendo's excessive prices and its low power, but Deck solves all that (and more) so I am day one.
The estimated dates don't give me high hopes about Valves ability to manufacture any meaningful quantity. This will be a niche product.

Top Bottom