• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 3 isn't dead: devs discuss new plans after disastrous release and commit to delivering "the heisting experience you expect from a Payday sequel

Draugoth

Gold Member
exGkzDxupWPSvYLhQtphQ6-970-80.jpg.webp

Months after one of the worst launches of 2023, Payday 3 developer Starbreeze has doubled down on plans to salvage the co-op FPS and turn it into "the heisting experience you expect from a Payday sequel."

In a lengthy Twitter thread posted today, Starbreeze says

We want to take some time today to explain what we’re planning for PAYDAY 3 going forward. We’re well aware that many of you aren’t satisfied with the game the way it is in its current state.

Starbreeze affirms that it's been collecting feedback since launch, and to more readily act on it, has now "put together a strike team of veteran developers from the design, community, communication, and production teams with the focus on bringing Payday 3 up to where it will meet your expectations. This team is currently creating a plan, deciding what will shape the game into the heisting experience you expect from a Payday sequel in both the short and long-term."

The studio adds that February will see the release of a plan "detailing the upcoming improvements and when you can expect to see them in the game." When we'll get these improvements and what exactly they are, among the sea of Payday 3 feedback, remains to be seen.

Source

Last edited:

Bry0

Why release garbage? Why was it so hard to deliver “the heist experience fans expect from a payday sequel” from the start? Management? Business pressure? Lack of talent? Bad designers? All of the above?

It’s just unbelievable how many games have launched broken with these apology statements later.

cormack12

Gold Member
Wow, I must have put like 3, perhaps even 4 hours into this.

Nah I put 16 hours in but matchmaking was a shitshow. The levelling was tedious and the cosmetic upgrades were poor. I'd come back and try it again though. It had some good core gameplay for a quick run round

Paltheos

It's not dead we swear! Well I just checked steamdb and just look at that chart. Yikes.

Especially remarkable when you compare recent peaks. In the past 24 hours, Payday 3 peaked at 730 players... versus Payday 2's 34320 player peak. That's greater than a multiple of 47! All time peaks are very different too, but much closer. 77938 for Payday 3, as of 3 months ago, versus 247709 for Payday 2 at 7 years ago - though that date's count is really an outlier for all-time. Relative peaks range from 60k-90k over Payday 2's lifetime. People clearly wanted to play more Payday but the game was not ready, and this is the position my friends and I have taken too. We have a few of the last DLC packs to finish and have no intention of touching the new game until it's up to snuff.

SJRB

Gold Member
Stupid motherfuckers ruined a great franchise with their half baked busted ass "sequel" that's somehow worse than the previous game in pretty much every way.

I hope you're happy, you dumb fucks. Grabbed some money in the short term, killed your game in the long term. Galaxy brain IQ.

phant0m

It’s just unbelievable how many games have launched broken with these apology statements later.
the industry has been fucked since 2020. So many delays and apology letters.

On the other hand, we’ve also gotten Elden Ring, BG 3, Ragnarok, TOTK and It Takes Two since then so 🤷‍♂️

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nah, it's dead. If they even think about releasing paid content, they can just throw in the trash. This game severely needs a the crime.net from PD2, a better fucking talent system, and at the very least 10 unique free maps(not copy pasted from the PD2) before anyone is going to consider playing this turd.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A serious bank heist game could be fresh, payday always felt like a gmod, or unfinished product.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Blegh the only reason I bought this game was to play with my friends and that was a rough experience on the first week of the game but beyond that the game has a lot of issues and lacks a lot of content so me and my friends had our fun and moved on already.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I played it with a friend for a few hours when it hit Gamepass, we both thought it was pretty good fun.

Felt a bit AA, but I didn't mind. We didn't play it again though.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
A serious bank heist game could be fresh, payday always felt like a gmod, or unfinished product.
Payday 2 is glorious. Nothing low /cheap about it.

The next big heist game is den of wolves. Made by the team behind GTFO and they got the lead dude for payday 2 as well.

Game is high on my list of must plays.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
When it works it's good, but it didn't work properly for too long.
Also they completely botched how you get XP, which is just clumsy and grindy now.
The dlc is also so much more expensive than what they were for PD2; all they really had to do was improve on pd2 and everyone would have moved to it, but as it is now, PD2 is still the far superior game and that's just crazy.

Kabelly

companies love to release unfinished broken games at launch while they expect you to buy their seasonal battlepasses or whatever for unfinished content and then wonder why their online service game flops within 3 months.

I love that consumers are voting with their wallets more.

Top Bottom