• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parent GAF - how to toughen up my son?

Only child? It's tough without knowing the family situation, but I'd start by not catering to his every whim. Maybe socialize him with your niece.

I was a wimp growing up. I'm thankful one of my uncles made me work for him when I was a young teen. He's only 3 though lol.

Last edited:

Crayon

WarmExcellentBighornsheep-size_restricted.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
He's only three. Give him time to mature and nudge him gently in the right direction for now. Enroll him in BJJ or some other martial art or sport when he's six.

Even Spartan agoge training only started at the age of seven.

He could just be a gentle soul, too, which you'll have to come to terms with if so. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

BlackTron

I hope it is a joke post too but I doubt it.

We should be glad he calmly asked for advice on a forum. There are people out there who would be mad about it and taking it out on the kid already.

Long story short, it's not a problem that needs fixing. He's 3. You aren't letting anything go or being easygoing by letting it continue. Let him be a kid for a while longer.

Paasei

If joke: Give him beer and he’ll loosen up.

If real: He’s 3, what do you expect? Once he’s a little older, you can show him the world to discover his skills and hobby’s and then you move from there.

OZ9000

Banned
Every three year old I've met is a lil pussy ass bitch so it must be a widespread problem. Good luck.
My niece is tough as fucking nails. They're both the same age.

This thread has reassured me. I appreciate it sounds stupid however it has been concerning me how much of a crybaby he has been. He's sooo attached to my wife. He constantly calls for his mom. I'm not even given a second thought.

But I'll take him to BJJ and kickboxing when he's a little older.

dr_octagon

Banned
Throw olive oil, put in oven, develops durability. It works for a skillet. If he joins a videogame forum in future, disown him.

I am not liable for any consequences, this is not financial advice.

G-Bus

Banned
Its the gays. They ruin everything.

Honestly though, he's 3. Let him do him. My daughter's 3 and she's pretty tough. Could probably beat your kid up.

BlackTron

I know everyone is treating this like a joke, but keep in mind we are talking about a real life 3 year old kid.

It reassures me this dude asked for advice, and that the real reason is comparison to his niece. I just picked that up from another post, the OP must have edited it out.

The kid will have the rest of his life to be compared to his peers and expected to be tough. This is literally his only time ever not to worry about it. In my opinion, it's not really a problem yet and could do more harm than good trying to "course correct" too early. They just have different personalities is all.

Dis

Don't compare him
Comparison is the killer of all joy

You sound whiny
Waa waa my 3y calls for his mommmm

But srs encourage him to take risks when he's older and reassure his mom that he's gonna be fine

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You are in what is called a vicious circle.
You see a 3 year old cry for his mommy and think this kid needs to be toughened up.
Your 3 year old has a dad who thinks he needs to toughen up so he clings to his mommy.
Best bet is to figure out why you are projecting your own anxieties onto your kid.

cormack12

Gold Member
Sounds like a fanny, just beat him into shape a bit.

Get him on a new eating plan of glass and galvanised nails.
Replace milk with whisky in his diet.
Bond with him and take him hunting for some local neighborhood pets.
Dip the soles of this shoes in concrete so he works his glutes and quads while walking.
Seperate him from your wife for 20 hours a day. She can only talk to him indirectly via a makeup mirror.

mekes

I propose a swap deal. My son for yours.

I am 6ft5 and my missus is 6ft. My son is 28 months old and already half my height. I thought it would be good to adopt a fairly rough and tumble routine to playing with my son. I just wanted him to be confident, but I have raised a savage.

OZ9000

Banned
You are in what is called a vicious circle.
You see a 3 year old cry for his mommy and think this kid needs to be toughened up.
Your 3 year old has a dad who thinks he needs to toughen up so he clings to his mommy.
Best bet is to figure out why you are projecting your own anxieties onto your kid.
I have no anxieties.

My son is overly attached with his mother.

He ignores me, my parents, my siblings.

However he will cry over the smallest thing - unlike my niece who seems to be very resilient.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
All little kids are weak. Love him and teach him what is right and how to act. Provide a consequence when there is direct rebellion. Be a good dad. Set an example, children are better students of you than you are of them.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
First of all, it’s probably not an issue at all. Just a kid being a kid. It just takes some kids time and that is especially true for kids now as they are socially stunted (if you will forgive the term) in lots of cases due to stupid Covid. I’d recommend lots of socializing. We had our nephew over for a week who was a bit like that and he made huge steps forward, but I’d also say there wasn’t anything wrong in the first place.

Just go play and have fun. Kids are only kids for so long. I’d give anything for my kids to be little again…

because they themselves were kids once, grew up with siblings and have some insight?
It's not the same man. To provide is a whole different level of the game.

Also don't nitpick my quotes to give a different resonance. It's silly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom