• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount is developing a live action 'Your Name' with screenwriter of 'Arrival’

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot have joined with Japan-based Toho Co. to bring Your Name to worldwide audiences as a live-action feature with Oscar-nominated screenwriter Eric Heisserer (Arrival) on board to script.

Your Name, which was a lower-budgeted anime phenom from filmmaker Makoto Shinkai, tells the story of a teenage boy and girl from different backgrounds who discover they can swap bodies. They become desperate to cross space and time to find a way to meet and stop an impending disaster.

Makoto Shinkai, who created the original story, wrote and directed Your Name, says he is looking forward to a live-action version coming out of Hollywood. He said his film was “created with the innate imaginations of a Japanese team and put together in a domestic medium. When such a work is imbued with Hollywood filmmaking, we may see new possibilities that we had been completely unaware of — I am looking forward to the live-action film with excited anticipation.”

“Just like in the film it feels like a dream” says the film’s original producer Kawamura. “Mr. Abrams and his team have captivated audiences in their masterful reinvention of known properties. And Mitsuha and Taki have found a perfect narrator, Mr. Heisserer, to tell their sci-fi infused love story, which gave the film such drive. The meetings so far have been creatively stimulating with fantastic ideas that no doubt will make for a great movie. I am greatly honored to work with these incredible creators in bringing to audiences the Hollywood live action version of Your Name.”

For the live-action adaptation, J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: Episode IX) and Lindsey Weber will produce for Bad Robot, along with Genki Kawamura, producer of the original film. Toho will handle distribution of the film in Japan.

Source

live action 'Your Name'

350x700px-LL-a9350f81_Kornheiser_Why.jpeg

Lynd7

Eh, I guess it might be ok. Kinda odd to see an adaptation coming so quickly, the story isn't something extraordinary I thought too.

N21

I don't think P studios are the ones up to the job of making Your Name into an Live Action film.

I wonder what they'll use to replace the not-insignificant presence of Shinto mysticism since they're very likely to westernize everything in the adaptation.

It’s gonna be a shit show. Why adapt such a recent animated film to live action? Also how in the world are they gonna adapt the Japanese themes that are pretty heavy in the movie without compromising the movie? Cuzz you know this is gonna get white washed to high heaven and take place in California.

Faynwulf

What is it with Hollywood thinking that Animated films need to be remade into live action? Can't an animated film stand on it's own?

Not that I care in this case. Not a fan of Your Name. I thought it was mediocre.

Can't wait for the white-washing!

This isn't Attack on Titan where race actually has an impact on the story. Of course an asian lead would be nice. But they would never use Japan as a setting for this remake.

edit: And yes, I think the mysticism aspect will be cut alltogether.

This is going to be so bad.

The conversion of Japanese tradition and culture to American and Western will make the movie too bland.

What is it with Hollywood thinking that Animated films need to be remade into live action? Can't an animated film stand on it's own?

Not that I care in this case. Not a fan of Your Name. I thought it was mediocre.

It's not particularly anime but more anything not from Hollywood.

i would assume there's interest in the holders in japan for hollywood to adapt their work: exposure and cash for them.

kswiston

This isn't Attack on Titan where race actually has an impact on the story. Of course an asian lead would be nice. But they would never use Japan as a setting for this remake.

At least with Attack on Titan, they could fill the film with white people and not be accused of white-washing the source material.

Can’t wait to watch several scenes of the girl groping herself — now in live action!

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but picturing how those scenes play out with a real non-anime person is funny

_Ryo_

Actually this doesn't seem like it would be that hard to adapt. But yaknow, American studios have shown that they are pretty much incapable of adapting anime adequately so I don't really have much faith in it.

FStubbs

Actually this doesn't seem like it would be that hard to adapt. But yaknow, American studios have shown that they are pretty much incapable of adapting anime adequately so I don't really have much faith in it.

The overall concept from 10,000 feet? Not difficult. The intricacies of the movie? That would be very difficult. Plus it will be whitewashed because Hollywood FTL.

Nah this is like one of the most Japanese anime of them all, if they just set it in America the whole thing would feel like a joke romcom at best. Japanese mythology/culture is literally the plot

_Ryo_

The overall concept from 10,000 feet? Not difficult. The intricacies of the movie? That would be very difficult. Plus it will be whitewashed because Hollywood FTL.

Nah this is like one of the most Japanese anime of them all, if they just set it in America the whole thing would feel like a joke romcom at best. Japanese mythology/culture is literally the plot

Even it's english dub would be definitely worse than the original, you would like a bunch of jokes related to Japanese speech patterns fall flat. Now a live action adaptation? I don't hate J.J but yeah this will definitely not work

Maybe I should have said it wouldn't be that hard to adapt, if it were still set in Japan and had a Japanese cast. But we all know that will never happen so nevermind, hah.

Ridley327

TBH, the bones of the story can be easily adapted to any culture, though the story itself is stronger due to the specific Japanese cultural elements that are pretty crucial to the how and why of the events that eventually transpire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom